Joey Barton - ex manager - wannabe podcaster

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I've just listened and it just comes across as a classic right wing GB News type that rattles out buzzwords like 'woke agenda' and 'journalistic standards' while contradicting themselves and waffling about basically nothing for 20 minutes. Just a complete moron.

Nickelodeon

I've just listened and it just comes across as a classic right wing GB News type that rattles out buzzwords like 'woke agenda' and 'journalistic standards' while contradicting themselves and waffling about basically nothing for 20 minutes. Just a complete moron.
Joey Barton is unlikely to win many admirers through any football expertise he may possess. Nor is he the type of man many would be happy to see on a Sky or BBC. Hence, he's resorting to these desperate efforts to appeal to football's intersection with Andrew Tate fanbase.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think you're both missing the point of what im saying. If its all good i dont want a big back and forth on this, ive done it before and it tends to attract a predictable range of posts (not from you both, but it seems to be a very triggering topic for people who just go 0 to 100).

Duffer, Jeff Stelling is a presenter, commentators are commentators. I am not talking about these, and there are good female presenters (though ive yet to hear a good female commentator.) I am specifically talking about the pundit in the studio who is there to offer the viewer an insight from a players point of view. Many of those currently arent very good at it - thats not what im arguing either - but take for example Daniel Sturridge, an abysmal pundit - he can still speak with more 'authority' on the mens game than a woman, or me. This leads on to KeanoMagicHat point - the existence of countless awful pundits who arre male ex players, doesnt disprove anything. Just that TV hires some terrible pundits. But where authority is concerned, Im going to listen to Nesta's opinion on how a PL defender might have prevented a goal, before I'll listen to the latest 'Lioness' that's hauled on. I'll listen to Shay Given talking about a goalkeeper stuggling for form one million times before I'll want Mary Earps opinion on it. I do not want to hear Alex Scott telling us how an international mens defender should be doing something better.

The thing that seems to muddy waters is that plenty of men, myself included, like to sit around in pubs and stadiums talking like we know what we're talking about - and some of them might well be insightful, articulate and engaging. But they still shouldnt be near a television screen above even, yes even, daniel sturridge. They shouldnt be there above a woman whos played professional womens football either, and she shouldnt be there above D Studge. Sturridge for example, shouldnt be on television in that capacity, but thats not really relevant to the point.
Gave yourself away with this bit. Unlucky though, good try.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
So, basically, half our country

Devil81

Was listening to the Alan Brazil show on talkshite yesterday and they were discussing Barton's comments. You could just tell Brazil was desperate to say he totally agreed with Barton, he actually said he had his right to his opinion and the game isn't the same.

The women's is defo a different level and a different intensity but ultimately it's the same game so that's a load a bollocks to start with and they also have the same eyes we do. So why would they not be able to give a valid opinion on the game as a man would?

Fair enough they haven't played men's professional football but neither have 99% of people writing and giving their opinion on it.

Peter van der Gea

Was listening to the Alan Brazil show on talkshite yesterday and they were discussing Barton's comments. You could just tell Brazil was desperate to say he totally agreed with Barton, he actually said he had his right to his opinion and the game isn't the same.

The women's is defo a different level and a different intensity but ultimately it's the same game so that's a load a bollocks to start with and they also have the same eyes we do. So why would they not be able to give a valid opinion on the game as a man would?

Fair enough they haven't played men's professional football but neither have 99% of people writing and giving their opinion on it.
31 games for United, '84-'86,definitely top level...

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

I'm sorry but Alan Brazil and Anglobabohor (misspelled on purpose) talk so much shit it's a massive crime against humanity to give them any attention.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's an obviously nonsensical argument.

When you have managers like Jose Mourinho managing top level teams despite never having played professional football, and countless journalists and content creators being paid to provide insight into tactics without ever having played professional football, why on earth would you be unable to have commentator's who haven't played professional men's football specifically?

Withnail

The sentiment isnt wrong really, except he lacks any nuance and defintely the whole 'knitting' stuff shows him up as an imbecile. In Barton's case here, there is of course an extra layer of sexism. But making the distinction between presenters, and those who are there to offer the opinions on the gameplay itself - women aren't 'not qualified', but certainly immediately fall behind the 4-5000 or so male footballers who have played in the premier league when it comes to the 'authority' with which one can speak on it.

I'd suggest a few deep breaths, lowering the outrage detector and appreciating that for what it is without emotion- a simple fact. If you've pulled on a shirt, and stepped onto a premier league pitch, with all the pressure that goes with it, and played among the intensity of the peak of the male game, even for 10 minutes, and trained among a premier league side, then you can speak with more 'authority' than anybody who hasnt, male or female.
That's all well and good to say and you often hear ex pros say things along those lines but then ex-pros are some of the worst and least insightful pundits going. So yeah from a playing perspective the likes of Joey Barton have more authority to speak about football than someone like Mourinho did when he was starting out at Porto but it often doesn't mean very much.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
These people were serious footballers playing hundreds of club matches, qualifiers, World Cups, Euros and Cup finals. They're perfectly qualified to talk about football.

A good pundit should be someone who is able to think perceptively about the mechanics of the game and talk articulately about it.

You don't need to be an elite player to do it that. The huge number of elite coaches across every serious sport who were non-elite players attests to that. He's wrong.

F*cking duh.

KeanoMagicHat

It's an obviously nonsensical argument.

When you have managers like Jose Mourinho managing top level teams despite never having played professional football, and countless journalists and content creators being paid to provide insight into tactics without ever having played professional football, why on earth would you be unable to have commentator's who haven't played professional men's football specifically?
It's also complete self-interest in it too, protectionism. If you say only players of a certain level can be pundits, then you're protecting jobs for those who played at that level.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The only way Barton could have ever had a point would have been if the male pundits were actually any good and capable of providing this experience-based insight, which they aren't.

The level of analysis is, at best, superficial. Even when Sky wheel Neville and Carragher out with the interactive screen it's just to rehash analysis from the weekend's papers (which has almost always been written by sportswriters and not ex-pros).

We've spent absolutely ages complaining about the likes of Redknapp, Souness, Merson, Owen, Jenas, etc. talking complete shite, and even the more bearable pundits do little more than state the obvious.

As for talking from experience, you watch someone like Paul Scholes get asked what preparations are like for a big European away game and he'll inevitably mumble something like "well you obviously travel over and then you'll train, and then it's just a case of hoping you get a good night's rest before the game."

I remember Stephen Warnock confidently claiming that Red Star Belgrade were a part-time team with plumbers in their line-up, and who can forget Michael Owen's "when they don't score, they hardly ever win"?

Also, Micah Richards or Rio Ferdinand being involved anywhere is just a race to be as loud as they can as quickly as possible.

By and large, the female pundits I've seen have at least tried to provide some level of insight and seem to have done at least a little bit of research, which automatically makes them more qualified than the half the clowns from the men's game that get a seat in the studio.

Semigoodlookin

Seems like Barton has been turned down for some punditry work. Stupid fecker has put two and two together and got 15. Instead of understanding he is a bell end, it must be the fault of the ladies. He's picked the wrong hill to die on. His "I have a wife" argument is so classic for this type of view.

Withnail

I just watched that and he's all over the place. He hasn't got a point at all apart from woke agenda and tokenism.

Loads of male pundits are absolutely brutal and he's not complaining about journalistic standards there. He also refuses to answer the question about whether he should be commentating on Champions League/World Cup and I notice he's not having a go at the fan cam lot either, it's only the female influencers he seems to have got a problem with.

It has to be said it was an bbsolutely shit-show of a spectacle, that Piers had no interest in controlling at all. He didn't even allow each person to have a back and forth with Joey so it descended into everyone speaking at once and the American anti-feminist added nothing at all.

KeanoMagicHat

Seems like Barton has been turned down for some punditry work. Stupid fecker has put two and two together and got 15. Instead of understanding he is a bell end, it must be the fault of the ladies. He's picked the wrong hill to die on. His "I have a wife" argument is so classic for this type of view.
Imagine how an ex-convict with a litany of problematic actions and views who never even played Champions League football level isn't wanted by the best broadcasters.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Disgusting scrote. I cannot stand him. If anyone hasn't read his thoughts on his brother 'losing 17 years of his life' in jail for the racially motivated killing of a teenager with an ice axe, that should tell you everything you need to know about his character.

When he was manager of Bristol Rovers I knew two people who gave up their season ticket in protest of him managing them. Horrible man by pretty much all accounts.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The sentiment isnt wrong really, except he lacks any nuance and defintely the whole 'knitting' stuff shows him up as an imbecile. In Barton's case here, there is of course an extra layer of sexism. But making the distinction between presenters, and those who are there to offer the opinions on the gameplay itself - women aren't 'not qualified', but certainly immediately fall behind the 4-5000 or so male footballers who have played in the premier league when it comes to the 'authority' with which one can speak on it.

I'd suggest a few deep breaths, lowering the outrage detector and appreciating that for what it is without emotion- a simple fact. If you've pulled on a shirt, and stepped onto a premier league pitch, with all the pressure that goes with it, and played among the intensity of the peak of the male game, even for 10 minutes, and trained among a premier league side, then you can speak with more 'authority' than anybody who hasnt, male or female.
I don’t think ‘authority’ means much here. Much more important to be smart and articulate. A smart, articulate female ex pro will be infinitely better as a pundit than an inarticulate, dumb male ex pro. So long as they’re hiring pundits purely on their merits as pundits then this isn’t a problem. However there’s a good chance this isn’t a meritocracy. Which is an issue for pundits of both genders.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool

For anyone who still wants to think this was ever actually about commentating...
:lol:

This is one of those things that are so all over the place, tangential and strange that it's actually really hard to argue against.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

For anyone who still wants to think this was ever actually about commentating...
He can't even make a coherent point there.

Should have had his twitter account banned when he insisted of including the goalkeeper when writing out a formation a few years ago. "1-4-3-3" twat.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
He's having a complete meltdown.

Started calling himself the king of twitter.

Also pretending to be retired rather than unemployable.

Peter van der Gea

He was a crock by the time he signed for us. Our history of signing players with serious injury or fitness issues is a long and distinguished one.
Just saying.

Someone like Earps has won the world cup, I trust her opinion much more

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
He's having a complete meltdown.

Started calling himself the king of twitter.
Yeah tbf if he's doing things like that in addition to this sort of quite irrational, outlandish commentary, it might actually be that he's had some sort of flare up of a psychiatric issue

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Yeah tbf if he's doing things like that in addition to this sort of quite irrational, outlandish commentary, it might actually be that he's had some sort of flare up of a psychiatric issue
I think it's more likely he was sacked as Birstol Rovers manager at the end of October, begged the broadcasters for some punditry work through November and got ignored because he's a known dunce, but tuned in one night to see Karen Carney on a panel and screamed "THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME" at the TV.

And now we're here.

Revaulx

Just saying.

Someone like Earps has won the world cup, I trust her opinion much more
Oh absolutely!

Brazil was a disaster at United. Not really his fault as he should never have been signed given his injuries. But the experience left him incredibly bitter.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Yes, after I wrote that post I realised that I had given the racist, sexist cnut far too much credit.
Barton: It's the wimmins fault!

Also Barton:
Barton's career and life have been marked by numerous controversial incidents and disciplinary problems[2] and he has been convicted twice of violent crimes. On 20 May 2008, he was sentenced to six months' imprisonment for common assault and affray during an incident in Liverpool City Centre.[3] Barton served 74 days of this prison term, being released on 28 July 2008.[4] On 1 July 2008, he was also given a four-month suspended sentence after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm on former teammate Ousmane Dabo during a training-ground dispute on 1 May 2007.[5]