John Brooks

Northstand

Didn't think he did much wrong.

Second Liverpool goal was annoying. It wasn't a foul but it's one the linesman gives literally 99% of the time. If you don't give it once then don't give it for anyone and there isn't a problem. That's on the linesman though not the ref. If you repeatedly give those as fouls to the defending team as they nearly always do, players are entitled to fall over and expect one, and it looks like bias when you randomly choose to ignore one in every 100

Ref could have sent Bruno off. There wasn't really any controversial decision to make otherwise, luckily
Agree with you that the criticism of Brooks has been a bit over the top on here, though there were certainly a few strange decisions. Just wondering what you are referring to when you say Bruno could have been sent off? If you mean the incident at the edge of our box in the second half of ordinary time, I don't think that was even a foul, yet Lee Dixon was calling for a second yellow.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So the Gomez and Mac Allistair ones were perfectly normal decisions to you?
the Gomez one is when he tried to decapitate Wan Bissaka? Genuinely baffling decisions. The Mac Allister one I saw live and made me do a triple take after I realized he'd given the free kick to Liverpool of all things. There I was loudly complaining about his incompetence for not booking Mac Allister(didn't realize he was already on a yellow btw) and bam! Speechless

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
It was a foul. If it wasn't fernandes you wouldn't even be arguing it. He comes through him at full speed to win the ball and clatters his hip and his leg. A very simple foul, which people are ignoring because Bruno is so unpopular among our own and non United fans
Correct.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
the Gomez one is when he tried to decapitate Wan Bissaka? Genuinely baffling decisions. The Mac Allister one I saw live and made me do a triple take after I realized he'd given the free kick to Liverpool of all things. There I was loudly complaining about his incompetence for not booking Mac Allister(didn't realize he was already on a yellow btw) and bam! Speechless
The Mac Allister one on Maguire is even more baffling. It should have been a second booking and a red (and Mac Allister should have probably been off twice by that point if anything), but to give a freekick against Maguire was just an insane decision.

Cantonagotmehere

There was also an obviosu foul on McT outside our own box that led to Liverpool break. I was convinced they would score after that one. Still no clue on the added on time at the end of ET.

He deserves all the stick he is getting on here.

Rossa

The Mac Allister one on Maguire is even more baffling. It should have been a second booking and a red (and Mac Allister should have probably been off twice by that point if anything), but to give a freekick against Maguire was just an insane decision.
It's one of many things that will be swept under the carpet because United won. However, MacAllister should have been sent off already by that point. It's a very good example of how a referee can dictate a game by awarding fouls, giving cards etc or not doing it. It also means that some teams get away with a playing style that other teams cannot.

Gomes was on a yellow card, then dragged Amad down when he was breaking free into space - nothing was given. If the ref had given it, as he rightly should have, then he would almost certainly be forced to give a yellow considering the attacking space Amad was in, and how Gomes used his hands to drag him down - the ref chooses not to, so again he dictates play.

SER19

Still processing that display after the excitement of the win has settled.

From memory and skimming through a rewatch:

Foul on Bruno for the goal. As Ive said above, ive watched in countless times trying to be fair, and its such a clear foul, only that its bruno is clouding people's judgement. He clatters him more from behind that the side and clearly knocks him before his foot gets the ball. No foul, and he cant win the ball.

A blatant foul on McTominay at edge of box not given.
Clear obstruction of Diallo making a run not given.
McAllister clattering Maguire and winning a free kick.
Fernandes cross taking a massive, obvious deflection and getting a Liverpool throw.
Adding 4 minutes in second half extra time, despite the goal going in at 120.

It was an awful performance, and yet again one where people can argue 'oh, but there was no huge call he got wrong', ignoring that a ref this poor has way more impact on a game and gameplay than just giving liverpool a soft penalty. It's like the Luton away referee, just a constant momentum killer towards united, and momentum builder for opposition, without any 'massive' calls. I'd far sooner just take a dodgy penalty than this type of game.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

How the hell did he see this as a foul by Maguire?! Mac Allister should've been given a second yellow.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

The block when Diallo was going for a run off the ball? I wsho

Amad scored after full time and he still found 4 minutes. Added to the list of genuine possible cheats rather than just bad official
Isn't it the case that added time for the extra time halves all comes at the end, after the second? If so, there's three goals with attendant celebrations to factor in. It makes no difference that Amad scored after full time - the clock hasn't stopped. All in all, that doesn't seem like very excessive time added.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Isn't it the case that added time for the extra time halves all comes at the end, after the second? If so, there's three goals with attendant celebrations to factor in. It makes no difference that Amad scored after full time - the clock hasn't stopped. All in all, that doesn't seem like very excessive time added.
No. There was one additional minute added to the first half of extra time.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Bruno was fouled before their 2nd. The only reason it's not discussed more outside of United is because it was Bruno.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Judging from clips I've seen from in the ground, two minutes added on time was held up but wasn't shown or mentioned by the commentators on tv. So, with that and the goal, the added on time was probably just about right in the end.

However, booking Amad for stopping Liverpool taking a free kick from the wrong place and then making Liverpool move it back anyway is nonsensical. Giving a foul against Maguire for being kicked in the chest is nonsensical. It was a really poor refereeing performance generally but those are the only two decisions that warrant proper complaints.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Bruno was fouled before their 2nd. The only reason it's not discussed more outside of United is because it was Bruno.
And because it's Utd. Even amongst Utd fans, people are saying "he should be stronger" even though it doesn't really matter whether you're John Cena when a defender comes flying into you at full speed, as was the case.

Doracle

And because it's Utd. Even amongst Utd fans, people are saying "he should be stronger" even though it doesn't really matter whether you're John Cena when a defender comes flying into you at full speed, as was the case.
Has anyone got a replay of the Bruno foul? The slow-mo replay they showed at half-time seemed to me to indicate that Gomez got the ball first and it looked a fair tackle. Certainly not one that would get turned over by VAR. Would like to see it again though.

Doesn’t excuse the refereeing performance generally. Our players seemed to continually get knocked over in the second half, often with what seemed to be clear fouls (there was one on Garnacho I particularly recall when he got pulled away from the ball), and yet he kept waving play on. Maguire getting penalised for getting kicked in the chest was also remarkable as was Amad getting penalised for pointing out that Liverpool were trying to take a free kick from the wrong place.

The Purley King

Has anyone got a replay of the Bruno foul? The slow-mo replay they showed at half-time seemed to me to indicate that Gomez got the ball first and it looked a fair tackle. Certainly not one that would get turned over by VAR. Would like to see it again though.

Doesn’t excuse the refereeing performance generally. Our players seemed to continually get knocked over in the second half, often with what seemed to be clear fouls (there was one on Garnacho I particularly recall when he got pulled away from the ball), and yet he kept waving play on. Maguire getting penalised for getting kicked in the chest was also remarkable as was Amad getting penalised for pointing out that Liverpool were trying to take a free kick from the wrong place.
It’s the little things that a referee does that can have a large effect.
I’d love someone to go through the game and highlight instances where fouls weren’t given or yellows not shown where they should have been. On both sides.
Feels like we were consistently on the wrong end of numerous “small things” that add up to a big advantage.
Amad’s first booking was fecking comical though. Did the refs job for him and got booked for it.

RedDevil@84

The only reason it's not discussed more outside of United is because it was Bruno.
And part of the reason Bruno has a bad repute is because of the United fans online constantly encouraging posts that call him a moaner and diver and join in the name calling.

Ole'sattheWheel

And part of the reason Bruno has a bad repute is because of the United fans online constantly encouraging posts that call him a moaner and diver and join in the name calling.
he did that ridiculous dodgy dive once and got a pen against villa in that season we got loads of otherwise legit pens - he himself scoring most if not all of them.
Ever since, people have branded him a diving cheating scumbag. He does throw his hands up in frustration alot but no more than any other competitive player.I think the only difference in bruno's gesticulations are he does come across as quite petulant instead of your typical aggressive "hardman" player (image Rooney for example, telling the ref to feck off instead of whinging at a decision).

Obviously on top of that he plays for us, who every other fanbase bar none despise

RedDevil@84

he did that ridiculous dodgy dive once and got a pen against villa in that season we got loads of otherwise legit pens - he himself scoring most if not all of them.
Ever since, people have branded him a diving cheating scumbag. He does throw his hands up in frustration alot but no more than any other competitive player.I think the only difference in bruno's gesticulations are he does come across as quite petulant instead of your typical aggressive "hardman" player (image Rooney for example, telling the ref to feck off instead of whinging at a decision).

Obviously on top of that he plays for us, who every other fanbase bar none despise
Many players dive. Pep's Barca often called the greatest club XI to be ever assembled were a bunch of absolute moaners and divers and stage actors, despite being able to brush away any team purely on talent.
As long as refs want to keep seeing falls to give fouls/penalties, players are gonna dive. And you can't ask the likes of Oilver and Taylor to feck off. They will send you off.

Again my point being that United fans also seem to join other fanbase in dissing on our players.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can’t we kick off or something? Who was it who recently told the premier league they didn’t want that ref taking their games in future?

Vanrouge

The more I think about Amad's first yellow, the more it seems like a genuinely insane decision. So the ref correctly making them move the free kick back into their own half is an admission that Amad was ten yards away from where the ref himself believed the freekick needed to be taken from. So what laws of the game did Amad break? It was Liverpool who were trying to cheat by first moving the ball into United's half by ten yards, then deliberately kicking it at Amad to try and make it look like he was impeding them and getting a cheap yellow card given against him. It's wrong on every level.

SER19

I dont think so? IFAB is ' The same principles apply as in normal time (both halves are the same duration, there is a half-time break and the referee allows additional time at the end of each half). '

I thought one minute was added too in first half?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Gomez gets the ball first, Bruno is waiting for the contact.
Does he?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Only vid I can find (I thought the Doku one was a red personally)

DON’T PANIC ™

Thought the ref was poor and generally biased against us. The exception is, he had a decent opportunity to send Bruno off and didn’t, so in my opinion there’s no point now crying about all the other decisions when the result went our way.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Thought the ref was poor and generally biased against us. The exception is, he had a decent opportunity to send Bruno off and didn’t, so in my opinion there’s no point now crying about all the other decisions when the result went our way.
If anything, it adds to the win. The fact that two of their goals were jammy deflections, the other one could have been disallowed, the ref gave them every 50/50 (and some 90/10s...) and we still fecking beat them is fantastic.

It's rare to watch us come through basically any kind of adversity against a top side in recent years, let alone all that. It's so refreshing.

SER19

I see people are still claiming that gomez got the ball first, despite there being actual video proof that he....didn't. If he was more side on, then maybe you let that go, but at full tilt, from the angle he came to get it, it is a visual definition of a foul.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
"I don't really think we should be talking about. It was one of the best games you've seen, one of the best refereeing performances I've ever seen.…

"'for 120 minutes, you played your part in this spectacle”

Dermot Gallagher on John brooks

edit (just seen someone else posted the above too)

The Purley King

"I don't really think we should be talking about. It was one of the best games you've seen, one of the best refereeing performances I've ever seen.…

"'for 120 minutes, you played your part in this spectacle”

Dermot Gallagher on John brooks

edit (just seen someone else posted the above too)
If you find yourself agreeing with dermot Gallagher then you’ve got some problems you need to address urgently