John McGinn

CloneMC16

Statistically, he is really not that great. At 27, there isn't much room for him to grow, either. People complain about McT and Fred giving the ball away and being unable to pass. His accuracy is much worse than theirs. We're going to control the midfield with him? Based on the quotes, it sounds like the club wants him for being a passion merchant.

I see some people have said he's the type of signing Liverpool would make. Klopp hasn't signed any average 27 year old players and turned them into a title winner. A good chunk of the players he signed have been 24 or under and have shown good promise already. I guarantee a lot of these average players people say are better than ours would look absolutely terrible for us.

RedAlert27

Click bait. Wouldn't surprise me if we do pay £40 million + for him though. He'd bring tenacity and has the stamina, but surely we can get young players who do the same for a lot less?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Tielemans feels like the kind of obvious signing we ignore over and over again, we should have picked him up when he was leaving Anderlecht. Similarly I was crying out for us to sign Dembele before he moved from Fulham to spurs, he looked Spurs best midfielder for the time he was there and would have been a massive upgrade on all the shit we signed instead during that period.
If Dembele didn’t have so many injuries he would have been a top tier midfielder, sadly he always seemed to be carrying some kind of niggle here and there. He would still walk right into our first 11.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
When you continue to make bad decision after bad decision, eventually having a bit of extra money won’t save you.

Buying the likes of AWB, Maguire and McGinn and giving prominent roles to the likes of McTominey just means we won’t be any better than Villa or Leicester and then we wonder why we can’t beat them.

McGinn shouldn’t even be on our radar at 27

Chairman Steve

Honestly thought McGinn was 23-24. Didn’t realise he was 27.

He looks decent but the bar for central midfielders is pretty low at Utd at the moment. After Schneiderlin, I’m more hesitant on these types of signings. I would like to avoid signings from the middle to borderline high tier PL team pool who look great but look very underwhelming at a top tier club. Maguire is kinda drifting that way too.

hobbers

As if signing English players for double their worth wasn't bad enough, now we're going to sign Scottish players for quadruple their worth.

CallyRed

Think we need a Scottish spine in the team.
Get big Lyndon Dykes in as well.

Bwuk

As if signing English players for double their worth wasn't bad enough, now we're going to sign Scottish players for quadruple their worth.
So you don’t think McGinn is worth 10m?

lsd

The Oracle
Probably our level at this point. Can't be worse than what we have and that's all we can hope for

OrcaFat

On the face of it I’d be underwhelmed but if it’s the case that we’re not going to spend more than £30-40m then he is not a bad option in that price bracket. Safe, Prem-proven and a good age at 27.

He always looks roughly the same no matter what level of team he is playing against; perhaps a bit limited but canny. He also has good personality/ leadership qualities (which we lack in CM). I don’t think he’ll transform us but he could make some sort of difference.

hobbers

So you don’t think McGinn is worth 10m?
Nah to be fair he's a £20-25m player. Bog standard Prem midfielder at a bog standard age.

But I'd be very skeptical we'll get him away from Villa for even £40m. Gerrard will rinse us.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Pointless signing, unless we want to go pashun and courage fc. He wont improve us by much. Avoid.

sp_107

Not UTD quality, another average mid team player.

When we can bring in Zakaria for 10M or Camara on free or even Haidara for 30M why we need to spend 40M on Mcginn, seems Fergie is being a disruptive force with his latest choices on Ronaldo and now this guy

Hearing that he is suggesting Pochentino over TenHaag too, I guess TenHaag comes across a new generation manager with great style of play , not saying Poch is bad but i think we need more fresh ideas..only advantage Poch got is he has EPL experience but i still prefer TenHaag over him.

My recent frustration with this UTD team forcing me to comment on SAF judgement which i am not qualified at all, This current team makes me sad for sure.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Fergie used to make these kind of signings and make them a huge success. He was one kind of genius.Now , it will be too naive to think our success was built just on those players.

We need some right signings at the right price. I don't think we seem to be learning though. Maguire, Rice, McGinn .

Really thought Ralf would change that approach and still hope he does. This buying local has to stop.

croadyman

Not UTD quality, another average mid team player.

When we can bring in Zakaria for 10M or Camara on free or even Haidara for 30M why we need to spend 40M on Mcginn, seems Fergie is being a disruptive force with his latest choices on Ronaldo and now this guy

Hearing that he is suggesting Pochentino over TenHaag too, I guess TenHaag comes across a new generation manager with great style of play , not saying Poch is bad but i think we need more fresh ideas..only advantage Poch got is he has EPL experience but i still prefer TenHaag over him.

My recent frustration with this UTD team forcing me to comment on SAF judgement which i am not qualified at all, This current team makes me sad for sure.
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest as Pochettino has never hidden his admiration for Fergie, however that shouldn't mean just leaving Ten Hag to City or even dare I say it the scousers.

Comet49

Steven Gerrard will do everything he can to deter his players signing for us.
Ok so you don’t rate him, fine, plenty do though. I’d have him, full of energy, scores goals and knows the PL.

Bwuk

I’m surprised that so many have seen enough of Haidara and Zakaria to say they’d be far better signings than McGinn.

Deery

Dreary
I’m surprised that so many have seen enough of Haidara and Zakaria to say they’d be far better signings than McGinn.
Same people wouldn’t have batted an eyelid at £40m spent on DVDB.

Siezard

I think Mcginn can work. He is hard tackling, can dribble and accelerate fast.

bringbackbebe

He's not qualified enough, doesn't have a difficult name people can't pronounce and that's exactly what we need in midfield.

Satsuma United

I like this:

------------Rice
Mcginn------Bellingham

If the club is serious we can have this midfield for next season.

Hard-working, good feet, organized, box to box. I like it a lot.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I like this:

------------Rice
Mcginn------Bellingham

Not even United would blow the transfer budget for the next 2 years on an entirely new midfield 3 of overpriced British talent.

Mylock

Mcginn is no doubt a good player but he's not the answer to our problems.

Andrew7582

I like this:

------------Rice
Mcginn------Bellingham

Imagine spending £200 million on that :lol:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I like this:

------------Rice
Mcginn------Bellingham

Yea i like it too but its pure dream land stuff.

NoPace

He'd be a good signing on a free but Villa will want at least 30M for him so just seems like a bad fit. He works with their Xmas tree on the outside of the 3 along with Ramsey, Chukwumeka and I think they'll look to upgrade Sanson as the 4th guy for those 2 spots, with Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Ings/Watkins fighting for the 2 spots behind the lone striker.

The path to this happening was probably Tuanzebe doing really well there and wanting to stay and and a swap happening.

roseguy64

If we already had him in our squad I'd like him but at his age it's a no go. He's not that much better and he's not gonna ever be an amazing player especially at his cost. Much rather push out the boat for younger players who are just as good and with the potential to be better. Promote Hannibal or Garner instead and bring in quality midfielders.

Devil may care

The whole "He's better than what we have!" stuff makes no sense when our midfield bar is set low enough for a midget doing the Limbo. He's a decent player, nothing more, and he's another box to box #8 like McTominay and Fred, we need a proper, positionally great holder and a #8 playmaker.