John Mikel Obi: Choosing Chelsea over United was 'best decision of my life'

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
IIRC Carrick was signed after this failed transfer, so it worked superbly for us.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hardly ever hear his name mentioned, could've been one for the players you forgot existed thread.
That's because he played in an era where we had great players coming out of our ears and he was the unassuming guy in the background doing a lot of the crucial work. He's bound to not come up a lot in discussions in an oppo forum, but for those of us that watched him every week for over a decade, he is well loved and remembered.

I wrote this article about him many, many years ago when he scored his first goal after 7 years :lol:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation...8/john-obi-mikel-scored-a-goal-where-were-you

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
IIRC Carrick was signed after this failed transfer, so it worked superbly for us.
Yeah if I was a United fan, I would be pretty happy with how all that worked out, 16m for basically holding his contract for a couple of days? Then turning that money into Carrick. Not bad at all.

matt23

You had a "legends" game recently and Wes Brown's little brother got a game. If he counts then Mikel absolutely does!
When your greatest legends include Roman Abramovich and a proven racist full kit wanker - then nobody's going to blame you for scraping the barrel trying to find some more

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
When your greatest legends include Roman Abramovich and a proven racist full kit wanker - then nobody's going to blame you for scraping the barrel trying to find some more
Not every club can have fine upstanding gentleman such as Ryan Giggs or George Best in their pantheon of heroes.

TheLord

There seems to be three different discussions here?

1. Was Mikel a Chelsea legend? Who cares
2. Was he better than Carrick? Hell no
3. Title - Was choosing Chelsea over United a better thing for him? Probably yes given that they won so much during that period

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

3. Title - Was choosing Chelsea over United a better thing for him? Probably yes given that they won so much during that period
We won more though, so he lost out on that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can’t say it worked out badly for either party. Definitely a bizarre transfer, but just one of several dozen ‘Keano’s replacement’ transfer stories from that era.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea stunted his development big time by putting him in the defensive midfield role. He was a totally different player at international level.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Missing out on Mikel did not equal signing Carrick. Ferguson was chasing a CM-type for years and a guy like Carrick would fit the new tactics Ferguson and Queiroz were transitioning to going forward after selling off the likes of Butt, Ruud, Phil, firing Keane, etc. and failing with signings like Djemba, Kleberson, and Miller. Keep in mind Ferguson kept chasing Hargreaves that summer after signing Carrick. Per say Mikel ends up at Old Trafford it's more probable that Anderson or Hargreaves do not arrive in 2007.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Exceptionally underrated player. Never got robbed of the ball and rarely gave away possession with his passing. If Jorginho could tackle, shield the ball and out-muscle players he would basically be Mikel.

the_cliff

If he won more trophies at Chelsea during the same period then I'd understand his comments but we ended up with more and a lot more at that.

For someone who says choosing Chelsea was the best decision of his life he sure does mention us a lot.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I think a lot of people are missing the point - he said he achieved everything he wanted to achieve in football at Chelsea. He didn't say he wouldn't have achieved more at United. He's also probably looking at it from a personal perspective in that if he hadn't joined Chelsea he wouldn't have had the life he has now. His home is now London, he met his wife here and now has 2 kids ect.

TheReligion

Abusive
Actually feel sorry for Mikel. He was badly exploited at 18.

By coming out with this now I suggest he does actually regret it as it’s still on his mind.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
How did we landed 12 mil for a player who never played any game for us? I thought he was never rated much but looking at chelsea fans here in this thread, obviously he meant something to them. Thanks for financing carrick obi.

GMoore23

WTF. United dominated for 7 years after he signed.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I remember those days i was in rural malaysia that time. Did not have internet access, basically following the saga by having to ride a bike to the nearest town to read the newspapers. Was gutted when chelsea took him. Glad it all turned out well

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
My apologies, I thought he left the club long before he did, must be confusing him with someone else, thank you for bringing it to my attention.
We accept you apologies, duffer is a most forgiving person, he is thankful that your attention has now had this brought to it.

Glorio

Every Nigerian I know lamented the fact he was turned into a defensive midfielder. Was he any good in an attacking role? Because he seemed so limited with the ball
He did look very promising as a number 10. Was very creative and dangerous as a teen and it was a shame to see that beaten out of him by Jose's Chelsea.

Today he would have probably been a creative 6, but even that otherworldly passing range gradually disappeared over time till he became an average, purely defensive player

Beans

Supports
Neutral
We accept you apologies, duffer is a most forgiving person, he is thankful that your attention has now had this brought to it.
In my defense it looks like he was on the bench a fair bit, but I was horribly wrong. In fact his best run of games seems to have been when they won the CL, so fair shakes to him, he fully deserved that medal as a starter.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Really? I thought he was a very decent but unspectacular player. Michael Essien- now there was a player for Chelsea that i wished we'd signed.

I think every oppo fan died a little inside when Chelsea brought Mikel on as a sub to protect a slender lead. That's probably what I remember most about him; just the "Oh god they're bringing him on. The bus is well and truly parked" :lol:
That didn't actually work aswell as made out. Actually use to invite more pressure.

The two games in Manchester in 14/15 prime examples.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He did look very promising as a number 10. Was very creative and dangerous as a teen and it was a shame to see that beaten out of him by Jose's Chelsea.

Today he would have probably been a creative 6, but even that otherworldly passing range gradually disappeared over time till he became an average, purely defensive player
It's a common misconception that it was Jose that turned him into a (full time) DM.

That actually happened under Scolari.

pascell

We got Carrick instead, I'm definitely not complaining. Carrick would be regarding as one of the best, if not the best, in his position if playing today.

Irwin99

That didn't actually work aswell as made out. Actually use to invite more pressure.

The two games in Manchester in 14/15 prime examples.
Yeah I think I remember one game where RVP equalized in the last minute, and I think Mikel might have come on in that game. Still, it was always depressing to see him come on for Chelsea- not because anyone rated him highly it's just Chelsea were already pretty well drilled and organised and to see him come on was just yet another defensive screen you had to bypass.

Chief123

Not sure how some are saying he was bang average. He wasn’t a flash type player.

But in his peak he was one of the best CDMs in the world at the time. Was massively important for them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure how some are saying he was bang average. He wasn’t a flash type player.

But in his peak he was one of the best CDMs in the world at the time. Was massively important for them.
At no point he was one of the best CDMs in the world.