John Murtough Sack Watch

Chairman Steve

He’s probably getting some fancy sounding title doing nothing important or shoved away in the proposed INEOS multi club project. Basically nothing integral to the first team.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Perhaps what we know about Murtough is either untrue or people misunderstand what he does. I'm not saying he's not doing a bad job but there were certain stories about him being false like not knowing the time difference between Norway and the UK.

bstb3

Perhaps what we know about Murtough is either untrue or people misunderstand what he does. I'm not saying he's not doing a bad job but there were certain stories about him being false like not knowing the time difference between Norway and the UK.
Well this is it really. Someone getting promoted beyond their abilities doesn't mean they automatically become bad at everything - just that they were pushed / pushed themselves too far. He was apparently well thought of in some regards before, so no reason why he couldn't revert back to that if he is happy & willing to do so (as well as, of course, accept the appropriate terms). To a degree people just want anyone involved in the past out, and it's understandable, but there is a case of being careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water. If he has (genuinely) impressed, if he has something to offer, then whats the harm? It obviously just can't be in a similar role to what it has been over the last few years.

mu4c_20le

Ineos must've been impressed by his savvy negotiation skills, and dedication when he camped out in the Barca parking lot last summer working on the de jong deal

hobbers

World class at weaseling his way with his bosses and making himself seem valuable.

crossy1686

career ending
For me, everyone that gave the green light on Anthony and Mount can be shown the door, but it seems he must have done something correctly to be kept on in some capacity. Perhaps he’s just another victim of the ‘system’ we have in place? Who knows? But I certainly feel his involvement with the first team recruitment will be greatly reduced.

Revan

Assumptionman
This phrase needs banning on here :rolleyes:
Re : Murtough - seemingly he isnt as bad as everyone thinks. Same story as Carrick/ McKenna et al.
Of course, he is. He spent something like half a billion to build a squad that is weaker than before. And he was also DoF during the Ole-fiasco where his entire team got a contract extension a month or so before Ole getting sacked, when it was clear that Ole was a dead man walking.

And in any case, spending 80m in Antony, 55m in Mount on his last ear of contract, and 72m in Sancho should be a criminal offence. He should go to jail, let alone lose his job for that.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Sir Jim needs to clean house rather than keep these wastemen.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Of course, he is. He spent something like half a billion to build a squad that is weaker than before. And he was also DoF during the Ole-fiasco where his entire team got a contract extension a month or so before Ole getting sacked, when it was clear that Ole was a dead man walking.

And in any case, spending 80m in Antony, 55m in Mount on his last ear of contract, and 72m in Sancho should be a criminal offence. He should go to jail, let alone lose his job for that.
He is losing his job. Sounds like he is then effectively getting rehired for a different role, something that he presumably is actually good at.

As others have said, he seems to be a classic example of somebody who was promoted past his point of competence. That doesn't mean he wasn't good at his previous roles.

Grande

First mistake if true
I wouldn’t trust a team lead by Dave Brailsford to be able to evaluate that. I would rather have a commitee of internet warriors. Probably all 1.000 emplyees of United would be sacked overnight, and we would go rocket out of the league system in minimum time. But the RedCafé transfer threads on New Receptionist and New Lawnsperson would be an endless hoot.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I wouldn’t trust a team lead by Dave Brailsford to be able to evaluate that. I would rather have a commitee of internet warriors. Probably all 1.000 emplyees of United would be sacked overnight, and we would go rocket out of the league system in minimum time. But the RedCafé transfer threads on New Receptionist and New Lawnsperson would be an endless hoot.
:lol:

Zen86

I can picture it now... "This receptionist just hasn't got enough big club experience"

Revan

Assumptionman
He is losing his job. Sounds like he is then effectively getting rehired for a different role, something that he presumably is actually good at.

As others have said, he seems to be a classic example of somebody who was promoted past his point of competence. That doesn't mean he wasn't good at his previous roles.
Based on what evidence though? The briefs given by the club, where everyone apparently was great at their job, but somehow we sucked for straight 11 years.

pascell

'What does Dave Bailsford actually do'

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Based on what evidence though? The briefs given by the club, where everyone apparently was great at their job, but somehow we sucked for straight 11 years.
We don't know for sure, but I'd trust INEOS to decide that a hell of a lot more than random posters. If they keep him on it means they think he'll be good in that role. Alternatively it may just be rubbish media reports and they don't want him to stay at all.

But by most accounts both the women and youth teams started turning around and having more success while he was focusing on those teams.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If he's willing to work in academy development, why not? That probably reflects his stature, ability and interests. Its not his fault he was woefully over promoted by Woodward.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The turd that just won’t flush.
That guy must really know how to suck up and politic.
He’s been a key person in assembling the most expensive squad wasting over a billion pounds to assemble a mid table squad!
Not to mention a squad with huge attitude problems.
How he has kept his job is insane.

Teja

If he's able to set his ego aside and accept a demotion to a position he's more suited to, I see nothing wrong with this. By all accounts he did a great job up until his promotion to DOF.
This. He seems to have done some good work in women's football and the youth academy. No worries if he wants to keep doing that for a bit longer. I remember the hype around him when we finally made him the DOF with Woody leaving so clearly someone competent. He's in the same bracket as guys like Carrick, McKenna etc. Probably smart people but shouldn't have got the job so quickly.

As much as I love to hate the guy it was probably too big a step up for him. Once he works with people like Berrada, Ashworth and co maybe he can be groomed into a successor in case one of them leaves.

wolvored

Didnt he do good with the youth setup? Maybe he will go back to what he was doing there.

Blood Mage

I have no problem with him going back to his old role, just keep him away from all recruitment matters from now on.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He will be assistant to Ashworth I’d imagine. It’s a major demotion but still the best job he could get at a big club right now. I don’t think he was even bad at his job per se. He was just representing owners who clearly had absolutely no plan. Anyone working for them was being hung out to dry.

kaku06

This phrase needs banning on here :rolleyes:
Re : Murtough - seemingly he isnt as bad as everyone thinks. Same story as Carrick/ McKenna et al.
So according to you, Neither Murtough is that bad nor Ten Hag is at fault in the other thread. The two people who should be held accountable for the mess we are in aren’t at fault. So who’s is responsible then? :lol:

bringbackbebe

So according to you, Neither Murtough is that bad nor Ten Hag is at fault in the other thread. The two people who should be held accountable for the mess we are in aren’t at fault. So who’s is responsible then? :lol:
80% Woodward and 20% Glazers for ignoring the footballing side and continuing with Woodward. I really don't know how good/bad Murtough is, but our squad when he arrived was already a crap show. I actually think our current squad is a drastic improvement to when he arrived as DoF. Academy is quite improved as well. Murtough/ETH effectively had to start work from under the pile of absolute toxic non-usable junk.

Last edited: