John Murtough Sack Watch

Roboc7

There can’t be many people in his position who would be happy to be replaced and lose pretty much all their responsibilities. Most people would walk away so if he is kept on he must be pretty desperate. Maybe once new appointments arrive and reality sets in he’ll change his mind and move on as any role left for him is going to be a big demotion.

I don’t think anything he has done since he joined has been outstanding at any stage, he’s wasn’t the disaster in other roles he has been as DOF but fact INEOS have chosen to replace him so quickly shows what they think of his ability and performance.

vanderpants

This sums him up, hes a nice bloke but not very good at his job, to be fair he was handed more responsibilities than what he signed up to do

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
So according to you, Neither Murtough is that bad nor Ten Hag is at fault in the other thread. The two people who should be held accountable for the mess we are in aren’t at fault. So who’s is responsible then? :lol:
Did I say that?

Brailsford and Ratcliffe are allegedly impressed by him as per report. Do you think the guy who engineered Britains Olympic success and Britains self made richest man are both stupid? I seriously doubt it.

Furthermore, nobody is suggesting Murtough stays in his current position. Clearly he will be replaced by far more experienced people which is as it should be. The report merely says he could be kept at the club ‘in some capacity’. He therefore can’t be as useless as all the hyperbole hero’s on here like to make out. I don’t think anyone is suggesting he doesn’t seem out of his comfort zone currently, but he obviously has talents that INEOS believe can be harnessed elsewhere with in the organisation.

As for ETH, at no point have I EVER stated he is faultless. My arguement has always been that there are extenuating circumstances for our performance this year, and sacking the manager and starting over isn’t the right way to go in my opinion.

It might have escaped your attention but ’the mess we are in’ has been building since 2013. Over a decade of incompetence and bad decisions have lead us to where we are now. 8 managers, £1bn in transfers and god knows how many players have failed to stop the rot which to me at least suggests the problem is wider than just replacing the manager.

If you must blame somebody why not start with J&A Glazer? They have presided over and signed off on over a decade of decline and decay. Maybe look at the influence of Woodward? His Spector of incompetence still looms large over this football club. His legacy is one of total destruction of the footballing dept by bad decision after bad decision, trying and failing spectacularly to spend his way out of his own problem. Consider maybe Moyes for getting rid of all remaining links to ‘the good old days’ by removing SAF backroom staff. There are a long line of people to blame for where we find the club today.

It will take time to rebuild, it will be a steady process of undoing the mistakes of the past and introducing new people and processes. I don’t believe it is as simple as merely pointing fingers and shouting ‘sack the dof, sell the manager!’. So get your facts straight or wind your neck in.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I was against Murtough from day 1. It wasn't about nationality as some accused me about or me being always negative but mainly because he had zero experience as a sporting director. In fact I am over the moon about Ashworth and would have loved to see Mitchell or Dougie Freedman as HoR as well.

I am not against Murtough being given an academy role. He has experience in that role and had done a decent job with the youths even with United.

Zen86

He’s supposedly done good things at the club but it’s been turbulent since he took up the DoF role. There’s no harm in keeping him and returning him to a role he’s more comfortable in. It happens all the time.

OldRed1

Did I say that?

Brailsford and Ratcliffe are allegedly impressed by him as per report. Do you think the guy who engineered Britains Olympic success and Britains self made richest man are both stupid? I seriously doubt it.

Furthermore, nobody is suggesting Murtough stays in his current position. Clearly he will be replaced by far more experienced people which is as it should be. The report merely says he could be kept at the club ‘in some capacity’. He therefore can’t be as useless as all the hyperbole hero’s on here like to make out. I don’t think anyone is suggesting he doesn’t seem out of his comfort zone currently, but he obviously has talents that INEOS believe can be harnessed elsewhere with in the organisation.

As for ETH, at no point have I EVER stated he is faultless. My arguement has always been that there are extenuating circumstances for our performance this year, and sacking the manager and starting over isn’t the right way to go in my opinion.

It might have escaped your attention but ’the mess we are in’ has been building since 2013. Over a decade of incompetence and bad decisions have lead us to where we are now. 8 managers, £1bn in transfers and god knows how many players have failed to stop the rot which to me at least suggests the problem is wider than just replacing the manager.

If you must blame somebody why not start with J&A Glazer? They have presided over and signed off on over a decade of decline and decay. Maybe look at the influence of Woodward? His Spector of incompetence still looms large over this football club. His legacy is one of total destruction of the footballing dept by bad decision after bad decision, trying and failing spectacularly to spend his way out of his own problem. Consider maybe Moyes for getting rid of all remaining links to ‘the good old days’ by removing SAF backroom staff. There are a long line of people to blame for where we find the club today.

It will take time to rebuild, it will be a steady process of undoing the mistakes of the past and introducing new people and processes. I don’t believe it is as simple as merely pointing fingers and shouting ‘sack the dof, sell the manager!’. So get your facts straight or wind your neck in.
Great post Plant. There are still people on here that consider Mckennar and Carrick as useless coaches knowing f' all about either.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He will be assistant to Ashworth I’d imagine. It’s a major demotion but still the best job he could get at a big club right now. I don’t think he was even bad at his job per se. He was just representing owners who clearly had absolutely no plan. Anyone working for them was being hung out to dry.
Everything is pointing at a role in the academy. Which is fair enough since murtough did a good job there. In my opinion a different role would be a mistake. It's evident that murtough struggles at first team level

Red00012

I was just watching MUTV and they’re showing Utd v West Ham from March 2014 , the camera showed the stands and who’s sitting alongside Ed Woodward only a young looking John Murtough. Genuinely had no idea he’s been at the club for over 10 years.

wolvored

Everything is pointing at a role in the academy. Which is fair enough since murtough did a good job there. In my opinion a different role would be a mistake. It's evident that murtough struggles at first team level
I said the same a while ago. He was apparently very good setting up the academy again, an we are starting to see the fruits of this.

tomaldinho1

I am actually glad this wasn't instant, it gives me some comfort Ineos are actually seeing how things function before firing people. I don't really blame him for anything other than being happy to take a big salary when he shouldn't really have been in the role, he was given a job completely different to his skillset but we all would have taken it. Blame lies on the idiots who thought he'd do well there.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Sounds like a case of the Peter Principle in action - a talented employee who did a good job in lower roles, but then was promoted to the point of incompetence.

Lentwood

Sounds like a case of the Peter Principle in action - a talented employee who did a good job in lower roles, but then was promoted to the point of incompetence.
Could also be that he was promoted at a time when the club lacked mentors or experienced people around him who could have helped him in his new role.

From various sources, it seems like Murtough was well-liked and did some good things at the club.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Well, at least there's one less fraud at the club but we need to clean out the coaching staff and the first team squad.

hobbers

He'll probably go and weasel his way to director of the FA or CEO of the Prem.

Roboc7

I always found it hard to believe he would be kept on, if INEOS actually rated him they wouldn’t be appointing multiple people. Any role left would be a huge demotion and involve a massive wage cut. There’s no way you could pay him his current salary in a reduced role when analysing everywhere the club is overspending.

Feels like they’ve may have just found more diplomatic way of getting him out the door.

DevilRed

Another underachiever gone.

I'm happy we are finally putting in best in class staff for the most important positions.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
He was too old for this shit.
Yeah, 53. How on earth could he walk unaided. I heard the canteen folk were fed up having to liquidise all his meals and clean up the chairs after him if he wasn't wearing his Tena Men stuff. He won't be missed.

roseguy64

Yeah, 53. How on earth could he walk unaided. I heard the canteen folk were fed up having to liquidise all his meals and clean up the chairs after him if he wasn't wearing his Tena Men stuff. He won't be missed.
Pretty sure it's a Lethal Weapon reference.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It will be interesting to see where he goes next, surely no club will take him on in his current role but will be a choice selection for youth recruitment and development at a big/semi-big club