John O' Shea - an apology

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No, not from me. From this bloke.

Dear Johnny,

I’ve decided to write this letter of apology to you following your performance in Saturday’s derby.

Over the past few months I’ve made no secret of my doubts as to your ability and value to the team. After the Fulham game I labeled you ‘embarrassing,’ at the game at Upton Park, I described you as ‘the worst player on the pitch.’

Following the league game at the Reebok, I devoted a whole paragraph to you, claiming you were: ‘a six out of ten player at best’ and then comparing your appearances for United to ‘putting away the good china and bringing out the paper plates for less important guests.’ The nadir of my tirade was actually questioning Sir Alex’s sanity in preferring you to Rafael and Wes Brown.

It wasn’t always like this though, it’s not like I doubted you from the start. I remember you bursting onto the scene in 2002. I proclaimed you as the ‘new Denis Irwin’ – admittedly somewhat over the top. I shouted that Jermaine Jenas getting Young PFA Player of the year ahead of you only proved that footballers were stupid and ignorant. I can recall you cutting inside and hitting the bar against Newcastle like it was yesterday.

Who could forget your goal against Arsenal in 2005, you’re Schmeichel worthy stint in goal at White Hart Lane?

Then there was the goal against Liverpool.

That winner in front of the Kop sealed your entry into both mine and every other United fans list of heroes. It was my favourite moment of the season as we wrestled the title back from Chelsea- with your winner being an important part, your post match interview was even better: “The winner in the 90th minute at Anfield in front of the Kop, Gary Neville has told me that it’s his dream and I have just gone and done it.” Genius.

Yet for some reason things seemed to go sour between us, your performances seemed to get gradually less and less impressive, until they became rather worrying. I must admit my own problems with you weren’t helped by my love of Wes Brown and then Rafael, both of whom I’ve always thought of as far superior.

Don’t get me wrong, despite my misgivings about you, I still cheered you on, Porto at home 2009 was a case in point, everyone was screaming at you as you gave the ball away numerous times, yet I got behind you, “Unlucky Johnny Lad!” When you gave the ball away, “Great ball O’Shea, that’s more like it!” every time you made a simple pass.

I may be wrong, but standing right near the tunnel in the right back position, I was sure you could hear me drowning out the doubters. I was as pleased as anyone to see you score the winner in the next Champion’s League game at Old Trafford against Arsenal. That’s the O’Shea of old I said to myself with a smile.

This season, I’ve had my doubts I’m not going to lie, in fact that’s putting it mildly, against Spurs, I whispered “thank god O’Shea’s not playing” when the greatest player in the universe visited, and breathed another sigh of relief when Sir Alex brought on Brown instead of your good self.

Upon hearing on Talksport that you’d been given a £80,000 a week new contract, I almost crashed my car, even finding myself agreeing with Adrian Durham AND Darren Gough for the first ever time.

Before the game against City, I nearly spat my tea all over my breakfast when I saw the team news: “O-fooking-Shea, is Fergie p*ssed?” No, Fergie knew exactly what he was doing and so did you. Your performance against City was quite simply colossal, Rooney’s goal may be the talking point- and rightly so, Chris Smalling may be getting all the defensive plaudits but for me it’s all about the resurrection of John O’Shea.

The signs were there against Villa only a week earlier where in the second half you went on a Gazza- ’96-esque run in the second half that had me choking on my previous words. Against City though, you took it to another level.
I’m not too big to admit when I’m wrong and although ‘one swallow does not a spring make’, I’m confident that this is a turning point, that I’ve been grossly unfair on you these past months and that you are more than worthy of wearing the Red shirt. In the derby – arguably the biggest game of the season-your passing was inch perfect, the timing of your challenges infallible, in the air you were a towering inferno, unflappable, unbeatable and unstoppable all rolled into one.

Johnny I’m sorry, welcome back, you’ve been sorely missed.
Can anyone else relate to these sentiments, this morning?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Fergie gets it right once again.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I love the guy. He had a bad patch. Who doesnt? But for some reason his bad patch made everyone forget about how good a player he has been for us.

I hated the slagging he received.

quethenoo

Hmm not really as i have never had such polarised opinions on oshea, I have no misgivings about his defending and he will always do a decent job for the team, but for me, he still remains technically one of the least gifted players we have, but none the less one of our most important squad players.

He was decent against city i thought, but its more or less what i expected tbh, you have to remeber he was up against kolarov and zabaletta for the majority of the game, not the most demanding afternoon a fullback will face i suspect.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Fortunately Fergie realizes O'Shea's importance to the team and the squad, the quality of our squad players is one of the advantages we have on our rivals. We've already seen how Chelsea has crumbled due to the injuries to some of their players.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Build em up, knock em down, build em up, knock em down, build em...

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Players like O'Shea wins us trophies.

Can anyone name goals he's cost us, nevermind games?

Robbie Boy

Nah Evra was far worse, O'Shea was a hell of a lot more solid throughout the game, doesn't always offer a lot going forward though

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Huh.

O'Shea was our worst player at weekend, possibly Evra being his only challenger for that mantle, weird time to write such a thing.
Are you serious, what did he do that you would give him the title of worst player against City?

I thought he was solid as a rock at the back for us, got stook in & let the City players know he was there from an early stage in the match with a few hardy challenges, did a good job on Tevez, actually made him look like a complete fool in a one on one situation near the end of the 1st half, cleared a fair few balls back up the pitch & i thought he was excellant in the air in & outside the box.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Are you serious, what did he do that you would give him the title of worst player against City?

I thought he was solid as a rock at the back for us, got stook in & let the City players know he was there from an early stage in the match with a few hardy challenges, did a good job on Tevez, actually made him look like a complete fool in a one on one situation near the end of the 1st half, cleared a fair few balls back up the pitch & i thought he was excellant in the air in & outside the box.
Didn't he nutmeg him at one point?

That was fun to watch. Tevez is no Luis Figo but still...

phelans shorts

I thought he played badly, I have my own opinions and O'Shea was one of (if not the) worst players wearing a Manchester United shirt this weekend, as I say him and Evra stood out.

O'Shea's performance was epitomised by an incident in the first half where Smalling had the ball with Tevez closing him down whilst O'Shea stood still directly behind Tevez rather than giving the youngster an option.

Cina

Huh.

O'Shea was our worst player at weekend, possibly Evra being his only challenger for that mantle, weird time to write such a thing.
Bollocks he was, he was better than quite a few on that pitch, Anderson, Evra, Fletcher, Giggs (apart from a few deft touches here and there). I think he played well.

Not everyone will agree with me here, but in the really big games and especially away games in the CL I'd have him ahead of Rafael.

Godfather

Bollocks he was, he was better than quite a few on that pitch, Anderson, Evra, Fletcher, Giggs (apart from a few deft touches here and there). I think he played well.

Not everyone will agree with me here, but in the really big games and especially away games in the CL I'd have him ahead of Rafael.
I wouldnt have him ahead of Rafael but I agee with the first bit.

wr8_utd

:'(
Huh.

Huh? He was poor for the first 25 mins or so but very good after that.

I'd still have Rafael over him any day of the week though.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Fortunately Fergie realizes O'Shea's importance to the team and the squad, the quality of our squad players is one of the advantages we have on our rivals. We've already seen how Chelsea has crumbled due to the injuries to some of their players.
Ah yeah, you can see that, fergie can see that, I can see that, but most of the numpties on here are so blind and ignorant they cant see it.

And TBH o'shea at his best will still chalenge for a first team place. Some here wont like to hear that, but its a fact. raf has been doing well, but cant play every week, and o'shea is currently well ahead of wes.

Cina

I wouldnt have him ahead of Rafael but I agee with the first bit.
I can see why people wouldn't, due to Rafael's progression this season, but he is still raw and naive at times, and it could cost us. A mistake or silly tackle in an away game in the CL could feck us up completely. John O Shea may not be the most talented fellow around but you can rely on him to be calm and not do anything daft.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Agree with everything apart from having him ahead of Rafael.

I'd also add Rooney to the list of players if you remove the few seconds of brilliance for the goal, he was gash up until that point.

MUFCgal

He's played his entire professional career here. He's won everything there is to win at the top level, and he's covered in every position for us and that goal against the scousers at the Kop end was just :drool:

He may not be the most talented player ever, but by god I think he's served us well indeed.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I didn't think he played that well. In fact, I recall Smalling and even Nani bailing him out of trouble a few times. He nearly let Tevez in at one point by charging into Smalling's position even though Smalling was already there, and then barely recovering in time to get a nick on the ball.

Then there was that moment he let the ball roll off the pitch because he was too scared to try and cross it.

I like Josh, but he never looks all that confident. He was ok on Saturday but nothing different to the norm.

Irwinwastheking

Didn't he nutmeg him at one point?

That was fun to watch. Tevez is no Luis Figo but still...
I like this!!

Its a simple fact, that even if he played a blinder, broke tevez's legs, headbutted a citey fan and scored the winner with an overhead bicycle backheel he still would have been shit in the opinion of some people on here.

And Phelans shorts, i'm disapointed at you!

Irwinwastheking

I can see why people wouldn't, due to Rafael's progression this season, but he is still raw and naive at times, and it could cost us. A mistake or silly tackle in an away game in the CL could feck us up completely. John O Shea may not be the most talented fellow around but you can rely on him to be calm and not do anything daft.
AGAiN

Sylar

How can anybody bash him after his winner against Liverpool at the kop end? Hes had some stinkers but so have some other players. He normally is an easy target especially when Rafael performs the way he does, but Oshea is a OSolid for me and gets the job done. Great squad player to have tbh. He had a good performance and there were a few key interceptions he made (ie that header that took it a bit away from tevez in our own box).

Still when we won won 4-2 at arsenal a few years back and he scored with that deft chip, ill never forget his celebration. :lol:

Cina

Agree with everything apart from having him ahead of Rafael.

I'd also add Rooney to the list of players if you remove the few seconds of brilliance for the goal, he was gash up until that point.
Oh yeah true, he really was shit, I was screaming for him to be taken off when he had that awful touch right before the goal!

phelans shorts

The way people are going on you'd think I said he's shit and we should get rid, the fact is I (and the others who were in attendance on the day) all have the same opinion that he had a poor game.

That doesn't mean he has nothing to offer nor does it mean that I dislike the bloke, on his day he is a very good footballer and usually he is solid at least, whereas at weekend he just had a bad day at the office.