John Terry | Gone from losing the Champions League final to losing the Play-off final in 10 years

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Especially as the substitution didn't officially occur until the 28th minute.
They said they knew that but paid out anyway, as the board went up at 25:58 or something like that.

JustJackTheLad

Dear oh dear. This guy never fails to amaze me.

Can't deny how good of a footballer he was over the years. Not as good as Ferdinand in my opinion, but still class.

But his ego & his self righteous ways are embarassing, not to mention his little fling with Bridge's wife.

Acole9

Outstanding
Apparently it was his idea :lol: the guy does not give a rats ass about what people think of him, he really has no shame.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
It's a shame Rooney did not get a send off then we could have made comparisons.

Djemba-Djemba

He was a great player and arguably the best centre half the premier league has ever produced. Send offs can get a bit cringy but hey he was connected to Chelsea for 22 years.

The quantity and depth of hate displayed here goes some way to demonstrate the quantity and depth of disappointment he has inflicted on other teams.

He wasn't an angel but we all have our skeletons.
Hey John Terry provided Utd fans with one of the greatest moments in our entire history. I still hate him.

The hatred towards Terry is much more than just normal club rivalry.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
showing up chelsea for the pathetic little club that it actually is. sunderland should be ashamed for having agreed to take part. If chelsea didn't want to play, someone should have strolled down the other end of the pitch and scored. that said, I wil be celebrating 33 years in my profession laer in the year so every day at 33 minutes past every hour on that day, I expect al my colleagues to form a tunnel of honour and applaud..

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Apparently it was his idea :lol: the guy does not give a rats ass about what people think of him, he really has no shame.
he is also so far from - as some chelsea fans are saying - the best CB in the premier league!

Stadjer

he is also so far from - as some chelsea fans are saying - the best CB in the premier league!
He might not have been the best but he has been around the list of best premier league centre backs for the longest. Rio, Vidic, Carvalho might have been better but Terry has outlasted them all while still playing at a decent level. It isnt that strange that Chelsea fans and neutrals consider him (one of) the best.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He might not have been the best but he has been around the list of best premier league centre backs for the longest. Rio, Vidic, Carvalho might have been better but Terry has outlasted them all while still playing at a decent level. It isnt that strange that Chelsea fans and neutrals consider him (one of) the best.
what neutrals? #delusion

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think Chelsea and Sunderland are bloody lucky the FA and the PL aren't willing to touch this.

Erlands Army

Supports
Chelsea
Dear oh dear. This guy never fails to amaze me.

Can't deny how good of a footballer he was over the years. Not as good as Ferdinand in my opinion, but still class.

But his ego & his self righteous ways are embarassing, not to mention his little fling with Bridge's wife.
Bridge's EX-girlfriend ffs. Not like he was knobbing his brother's wife for years!

Theonas

Scout
what neutrals? #delusion
I think he most definitely is considered one of the best CBs in PL by plenty of neutrals. He was in FIFA team of the year something like 5 times I think. He was also named FIFA defender of the year 3 times, UEFA team of the year multiple times also. I personally think Rio is the best defender in the PL era but that's mainly due to stylistic preference but to suggest that Terry is not considered one of the best defenders of his generation is unfair.

montpelier

Apparently, the PGMOL turned down a request to guarantee that 26 minutes of injury time would be added in his honor.
From the Subs Board going up, to him finally walking off wasn't far off 26 minutes by the time he'd stopped faffing about.

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
We've all had our fair share of legends, with a lot of them achieving a lot more than JT has in the game.
No you haven't. You have players who have won more, and you have some who have had more appearances, but you haven't had any (let alone 'a lot') that have been quite such a central pillar of your club for the same length of time, and who have had such an individual impact. He's captained Chelsea to 5 titles, more than any other player in PL history, and unlike some clubs where the captaincy is not as vital, at Chelsea under JT it has been an incredibly strong and important leadership role through countless managerial changes.

You've had great players, and the likes of Keane, Giggs and Scholes were hugely important and longtime United legends, but JT has delivered more impact for our club than any other player in our entire 112 year history. So you'll have to excuse me when I chuckle at the oppo fans lining up to sneer, we're more than used to it, and it doesn't make a single iota of difference to what a giant JT has been for Chelsea over his career.

Theonas

Scout
No you haven't. You have players who have won more, and you have some who have had more appearances, but you haven't had any (let alone 'a lot') that have been quite such a central pillar of your club for the same length of time, and who have had such an individual impact. He's captained Chelsea to 5 titles, more than any other player in PL history, and unlike some clubs where the captaincy is not as vital, at Chelsea under JT it has been an incredibly strong and important leadership role through countless managerial changes.

You've had great players, and the likes of Keane, Giggs and Scholes were hugely important and longtime United legends, but JT has delivered more impact for our club than any other player in our entire 112 year history. So you'll have to excuse me when I chuckle at the oppo fans lining up to sneer, we're more than used to it, and it doesn't make a single iota of difference to what a giant JT has been for Chelsea over his career.
Good post. I think what you essentially mean to say is that he has been a central of THE central figure of the most special period in the club's history. That is indeed a unique position to be in compared to other clubs who might have enjoyed different special periods. The point about the managerial changes is also a good one. Clubs need continuity, what some people get wrong is that they associate this continuity with the head manager because that's the English thing with Sir Alex, Clough, Shankly etc ... In my view, the continuity can come in many shapes and in the case of Chelsea it was that backbone of Terry, Lampard, Cech, Drogba and maybe Ivanovic and there is no denying that Terry stands ahead of them in that regard.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Bobby Charlton.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I think Desailly, Gallas, Cole, Cech, Lampard, Drogba, Zola, Essien, Hazard, Mourinho, Abramovics money, etc, etc, etc played a huge part too. Terry has generally been part of a strong defensive unit too.

Just because Terry's played there for ages doesn't make him good, great or GOAT (I'd say he was very good) in the same way Giggs played a part in United's success but wasn't the key part.

The list of players above (off the top of my head) includes much better players (and better defenders) and players who had a huge part in changing Chelseas fortunes from also-rans for half a century to contenders.

Terry was a cog in 2-3 very strong teams, nothing more nothing less.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
No you haven't. You have players who have won more, and you have some who have had more appearances, but you haven't had any (let alone 'a lot') that have been quite such a central pillar of your club for the same length of time, and who have had such an individual impact. He's captained Chelsea to 5 titles, more than any other player in PL history, and unlike some clubs where the captaincy is not as vital, at Chelsea under JT it has been an incredibly strong and important leadership role through countless managerial changes, many of which he has had a central role in causing.
Fixed.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I think Desailly, Gallas, Cole, Cech, Lampard, Drogba, Zola, Essien, Hazard, Mourinho, Abramovics money, etc, etc, etc played a huge part too. Terry has generally been part of a strong defensive unit too.

Just because Terry's played there for ages doesn't make him good, great or GOAT (I'd say he was very good) in the same way Giggs played a part in United's success but wasn't the key part.

The list of players above (off the top of my head) includes much better players (and better defenders) and players who had a huge part in changing Chelseas fortunes from also-rans for half a century to contenders.

Terry was a cog in 2-3 very strong teams, nothing more nothing less.
There are only two CB's in that list, and he has been better than either by a considerable margin. His role in the team meanwhile eclipses any other player on your list, which you'd know if you listened to the actual players who have been in the dressing room and on the pitch with him over the last 20 years. He was not only a vastly talented (and very frequently under-rated) centre back, but the leader who carried the team through some extremely tough and challenging times.

I can understand oppo fans arguing about his ability or the off field stuff (hey,its a discussion forum and all that), but trying to claim he didn't have a particularly significant impact within Chelsea just seems bizarre to me. You think I don't know which players are important in a team I've supported for 38 years?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Drogba got lifted up by every Chelsea player at a similar stage of the match, the only real difference is the nation don't have some bizzare vendetta against Drogba. JT's not perfect and no one is saying that he is, but if every footballer was castraighted for every bad thing like he was, people won't have enough energy to focus on football, which is the point i was trying to make by bringing up Fergie and Schmeicel's "moment's". The full kit thing is another example, i mean i get it for banter purposes but if people are being serious at slating him for that it is beyond ridiculous.
I think it's ridiculous you can't see why John Terry wouldn't get slated for what he did because of the stuff he's done in the past. The fact he initiated the whole thing himself is absolutely ridiculous and is yet another reminder of how self-absorbed he is.

Now Giggsy has a huge fault. What he did was absolutely terrible. And when people say what Giggs did was worse than Terry, I assume they're talking about sleeping with Wayne Bridges missus. Because John's racist incident is definitely worse than Giggs sleeping with his brother missus.

But the way Giggs went out was classy. Didn't announce anything even though everyone pretty much knew he was leaving. Subbed himself on for what, 10-15 minutes. Gave his speech to the crowd, positive message and that was it. (his career here as a coach isn't part of this discussion.)

And honestly all I said was fans will remember it. I don't understand why you've jumped on my post amongst all the others, but I don't really mind.

What's this about fergie and schmiechel?
I'll let @Dancfc fill you in.