Joining Newcastle United

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
I'm not talking about the best players in the world but the tier just below them, why would a player not want to be part of this project even though the 1st 6 months will be a relegation struggle. Get the 1st 6 months out of the way then this team will be challenging for major honors within a much quicker period over every club in England with the exception of Man City, Liverpool, and Chelsea. Salaries will be some of the best in the world, a large fan base, and how much money are the Saudis going to chuck at improving training facilities, ground expansion, etc.

So if I was a Martial, Jessie, or Donny and Newcastle came knocking and my ambition is to join a winning team I would rather sign for Newcastle than say a West Ham or Seville. So why are players not wanting to be part of this project from the very beginning?

Ladron de redcafe

I think it takes slightly longer than 6 months to a year to start challenging. Even when City had the influx of cash in the summer of 2008, they didn't exactly challenge for the title immediately. There's a bedding-in period, and I think that will be true of Newcastle as well.

diarm

Yep - City and PSG have shown the template works.

Players will be looking at them and thinking they could be the next Kompany, Aguero or David Silva.

Make themselves a club legend who got in early.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Equating lots of money with quick success is a bit ironic on a Man Utd forum. ;)

KingCavani

So if I was a Martial, Jessie, or Donny
Why would Newcastle want them?

Lingard I can understand but unless they're just spending for spending's sake there's far better value to be had then paying Martial and VDB what they'll want.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm not talking about the best players in the world but the tier just below them, why would a player not want to be part of this project even though the 1st 6 months will be a relegation struggle. Get the 1st 6 months out of the way then this team will be challenging for major honors within a much quicker period over every club in England with the exception of Man City, Liverpool, and Chelsea. Salaries will be some of the best in the world, a large fan base, and how much money are the Saudis going to chuck at improving training facilities, ground expansion, etc.

So if I was a Martial, Jessie, or Donny and Newcastle came knocking and my ambition is to join a winning team I would rather sign for Newcastle than say a West Ham or Seville. So why are players not wanting to be part of this project from the very beginning?
I think if they were midtable then it wouldn't be an issue for players but they still have a lot of work to do to escape relegation. West Ham and Seville at least have potential prospect for immediate European football.

Smores

Yep - City and PSG have shown the template works.

Players will be looking at them and thinking they could be the next Kompany, Aguero or David Silva.

Make themselves a club legend who got in early.
Forgive my memory but they weren't the early ones were they? There was the whole Elano Ballotelli period before them or was that pre takeover?

tomaldinho1

Yep - it’s come at a great time for them because who really can pay big wages now? FFP would have been less of a problem for them than City anyway given their size but now they won’t need to pay players as much to join. Let’s see which manager they line up, probably Pep just hopping jobs :lol:

diarm

Forgive my memory but they weren't the early ones were they? There was the whole Elano Ballotelli period before them or was that pre takeover?
Kompany was right at the beginning. Silva was 2 years after the takeover and Aguero 3 years after.

So Kompany the only one right from the start, but the others at least show players that thr concept works, and that money will eventually be successful.

youngrell

They will need to go through their Benjani / Santa Cruz / Adebayor stage before getting to Aguero, probably.

I'm sure there are heaps of PL players on the fringes of the top teams that would happily take a pay rise for more play time there though. Possibly waiting to see how their relegation battle goes first.

Heardy

For every Aguero, there's 5 Benjani's...

If you're going now/in the Summer, you're going for the cash. Can't see many / any of their new signings getting a statue in 10 years outside St James' Park.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

What if they get relegated?

Anyway - that ownership is another massive step in the wrong direction. Money has ruined the game and this compounds the misery

Revaulx

They will need to go through their Benjani / Santa Cruz / Adebayor stage before getting to Aguero, probably.

I'm sure there are heaps of PL players on the fringes of the top teams that would happily take a pay rise for more play time there though. Possibly waiting to see how their relegation battle goes first.
Not necessarily. City had Mark Hughes as manager and very little structure above him. He was a decent manager but an absolute disaster when let loose with a cheque book; look at what happened when he was at QOR a few years later.

Howe’s transfer record isn’t great either. Newcastle haven’t done badly shopping in the bargain bin in recent years; maybe they can retain that nous at the more pricey level.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
City had arsenal to supply them players, Newcastle would need one.

They also went after the whole Barcelona board and one of the biggest underrated signings Yaya Toure.

LoneStar

I agree. Especially if you have a clause in case they get relegated, it could be a good deal as a player.

The only issue is that we don't know how it's going to go down. And the whole FPL, etc. So it'll be heading into the unknown.

For someone like Lingard who would suit a midtable club, and is looking for one last payday, it would be a very good move. They might not be challenging in the first couple of years, but they'd definitely be climbing up the table and a lot closer to the top 4.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The fact that they're in a relegation scrap while they're trying to convince good players to join them is really interesting.

GBBQ

Chelsea were able to put together a squad pretty quickly because a billionaire sugar daddy owner was relatively new so they could splash the cash. They also had a solid foundation as they were playing good football and were never lower than 6th in the previous 5 season (including being just 4 points behind United in the treble season). They took 2 seasons to win the league and were probably helped as it was that transition time between the 99 team ending and the 08 team starting.

City took longer to get things right, they were bought by Shinawatra in 2007 who then sold to bin Zayed in 2008 and they won their first title in 2011/12. So 5 years before they got the first big money investment or 4 years from when the Abu Dhabi money came in.

So even with any amount of money available its never going to be a quick fix and the fact that there are two teams in City and Liverpool capable of posting 100+ point seasons and a team like Chelsea who will constantly have investment to keep up with the leaders its really hard to see how Newcastle can break that stranglehold. Perhaps in 5 years Klopp and Pep will be gone and that will level the playing field but for now Newcastle can only hope to bring in mercenaries and hope that they can steady the ship.

Tarrou

for every Aguero there were about eight Jo's

it might take a while before players think its a good idea

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
for every Aguero there were about eight Jo's

it might take a while before players think its a good idea
Competition in the PL is also just far stiffer than people are giving it credit for. There aren't any Guardiolas or Klopps knocking about to allow Newcastle to cement themselves at the top either. I don't think they'll have a big impact for a long time.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Elano, Benjani, etc. came in pre-Abu Dhabi takeover so I'm not sure how they're relevant to this conversation.

miked99

Because unless they're really young, by the time Newcastle are actually any good they won't be there. It's easy to forget just how many players city went through in order to 'always get it right'.

Elano, Benjani, etc. came in pre-Abu Dhabi takeover so I'm not sure how they're relevant to this conversation.
Technically, all signings in the 2008 summer transfer window were pre-Abu Dhabi as well, with the exception of Robinho. This includes Kompany, Zabaleta, SWP & Jô (for 19m :houllier:).

They went nuts in January (de Jong, Bridge, Given, Bellamy) and the summer after with big money moves for Tevez, Adebayor, Lescott, Santa Cruz, Kolo Touré & Barry. Some of those were important players for years, but others were 'stepping stone' players, because the real quality just wasn't interested. And in the case of the January signings, they didn't even have a potential relegation looming over them AND no FFP at the time, if I remember correctly? At least the managers were comparable with Hughes & Howe both being well below par.

Newcastle would be absolutely ecstatic with players of similar quality to the likes of Lescott, Barry, de Jong & Tevez, seeing how they were good enough to jump to 5th place almost immediately, only narrowly missing out on a CL spot, & eventually staples in a cup & title winning side.

UpWithRivers

I think the question is - who wants to go live in Newcastle. fkin sht hole. I just cant see Lingard wanting to instagram his night out on Newcastle brown and pork scratching's

freeurmind

weak willed
Can't we ocnvince the mt ogive us 100 million for Maguire and AWB ?

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I agree. Especially if you have a clause in case they get relegated, it could be a good deal as a player.

The only issue is that we don't know how it's going to go down. And the whole FPL, etc. So it'll be heading into the unknown.

For someone like Lingard who would suit a midtable club, and is looking for one last payday, it would be a very good move. They might not be challenging in the first couple of years, but they'd definitely be climbing up the table and a lot closer to the top 4.
Or 6 month loan with or without option to buy, 1m-5m loan fees.

Lingard, Aubameyang, Digne, some fringed CBs.

LoneStar

Or 6 month loan with or without option to buy, 1m-5m loan fees.

Lingard, Aubameyang, Digne, some fringed CBs.
A 6 month loan would leave Lingard without any contract and a free agent. If he gets injured, he'd have no cover. Sounds risky to me.

Well considering it will take them at least 18 months to get back up from the Championship, it's not guaranteed success at all is it? They need top 6 form from this point on to stay up.

I think it will be at least 5 years before they're close to the top 4 let alone the league.

RedorDead21

For every Aguero, there's 5 Benjani's...

If you're going now/in the Summer, you're going for the cash. Can't see many / any of their new signings getting a statue in 10 years outside St James' Park.
just like all of our players then…here for the cash..or Chelsea’s players…if city paid 50% of what we paid players…their current success wouldn’t attract future players…it’s all cash to everyone in the game…including SAF who would defend the glazers…for cash…

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
City had arsenal to supply them players, Newcastle would need one.

They also went after the whole Barcelona board and one of the biggest underrated signings Yaya Toure.
who said arsenal won't do that again for Newcastle?