Jones & Blind

Varun

Staff
How many games/points dropped before he scraps the Blind at CB idea is the more pertinent question now.

Sam

How many games/points dropped before he scraps the Blind at CB idea is the more pertinent question now.
I reckon at least 2/3 months, and about 12 dropped points.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
For me, any combination with Jones, whether it be rojo, mcnair, or blind seems considerably weaker than a combination including smalling. I just don't know what gaal sees.

Jacob

Still baffles me, the high praise SAF had for Jones. On form, he's a beast. That rarely happens though.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
From Ogden's piece today -

'I was very pleased with Blind's performances, not only this against PSG, but in the other games too,” Van Gaal said. “I think he can build up the game better from that position and he has defended very well.

“I think I shall use him there, but also in midfield and the left-back position, but I'm pleased with his performances.

So I think I shall play Shaw with Blind and Matteo Darmian and then the right central defenders position I have to consider.

'I am pleased with Darmian. As you can see, he can play left and right.”
At least from those comments, it looks like Darmian has leapfrogged Valecia into the starting XI. Not sold on Blind as a CB at all, but actually more worried about Jones getting in ahead of Smalling tbh. Good to see LVG might be coming to his senses there.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
At least from those comments, it looks like Darmian has leapfrogged Valecia into the starting XI. Not sold on Blind as a CB at all, but actually more worried about Jones getting in ahead of Smalling tbh. Good to see LVG might be coming to his senses there.
That's pretty much a given since Darmian has featured heavily on the tour. If LvG were planning on playing Tony, he would've started him to give him for some full speed game time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Blind-Jones is like an answer to a quiz question of "attacking players aside, what's the least likely centre defence combo you'd want to see"

For one obvious thing, Smalling is better than Jones in all areas bar "brainless bravery", and Blind is not someone you'd want to see against height or pace.
Though lovely on the ball.

AtlMuppet

Having watched them against Barça, I'm not too worried. They marshalled Suárez well for the most part and both stepped forward with the ball well enough. For all of Smalling's merits in defence (which are way overblown in comparison to Jones) he's not as good on the ball, an attribute which Van Gaal seems to prioritise. With Schneiderlin and one of Carrick and Schweinsteiger in front of them, I reckon they'll have adequate protection from midfield. There is concern about them being dominated in the air but it is mitigated somewhat by the fact that a) both the starting fullbacks are pretty tall, and b) so is Schneiderlin.

comlag

Blind at CB will have opposition managers chomping at the bit to have a go at us this season. I think it could work in our favour in terms of tempting teams away from bus parking and coming at us, giving us a chance to break and play a bit quicker.

I'm not saying Blind is a good CB, he could very well be one of the weakest we ever see in a United shirt, but it could work in our favour.

Sam

Jones/Blind is the worst centre back combination in the PL's top 10.

Opposition strikers won't be worried in the slightest.

Sam

Just seen that LVG confirmed in the press conference that Blind will start the season as the LCB.

Utterly ridiculous.

Kakeru

Stupid call by LVG. He can shove that notion of playing a left-footed CB up where the sun doesn't shine.

marlowe78

It's hard to believe that we've been clamoring for a world-class CB this summer and we may have to face Blind and Jones as our starting pair. When you consider how much Smalling improved last season and that Rojo had several good games playing with him, LVG, if serious, must really be taking the piss.

I don't think it will take long at all for Blind to be exposed as a CB. To be fair, he played well during the tour but we haven't faced a team with size. Even Barcelona tends to be physically smaller as a team. When Blind is in against clubs like Stoke, West Ham, Southampton, etc. he will get brutalized in the air and on set pieces. This isn't even talking about the better clubs.

I can understanding playing Blind in the late stages of a game or as a last resort but to play him with any regularity in that spot would be insane IMO. As it is, I don't even think Blind is good enough as a LB. He is a very intelligent player and defends well but he is too small and too slow to play on the backline. I would only want him playing in midfield.

Jones's problem is that he needs a solid CB to play next to. At the moment, Smalling is our best option.

ZDwyr

Van Gaal is really starting to piss me off. Smalling is our best CB, it is obvious. Sure, Jones can have hid good games but he is not as consistent as Smalling. If Van Gaal starts the season with Jones and Blind as our starting CB pair then it will cost us points. It's just utterly bizarre how stupid he is being.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It's hard to believe that we've been clamoring for a world-class CB this summer and we may have to face Blind and Jones as our starting pair. When you consider how much Smalling improved last season and that Rojo had several good games playing with him, LVG, if serious, must really be taking the piss.

I don't think it will take long at all for Blind to be exposed as a CB. To be fair, he played well during the tour but we haven't faced a team with size. Even Barcelona tends to be physically smaller as a team. When Blind is in against clubs like Stoke, West Ham, Southampton, etc. he will get brutalized in the air and on set pieces. This isn't even talking about the better clubs.

I can understanding playing Blind in the late stages of a game or as a last resort but to play him with any regularity in that spot would be insane IMO. As it is, I don't even think Blind is good enough as a LB. He is a very intelligent player and defends well but he is too small and too slow to play on the backline. I would only want him playing in midfield.

Jones's problem is that he needs a solid CB to play next to. At the moment, Smalling is our best option.
Blind passed it relatively well, but he could have given away two pens. He's not used to dealing with anything in the box. I understand Smalling is awkward, but with the players we've bought, we don't have to see him bombing forward anyway. Just tell him to keep it simple. Blind is a liability.

roseguy64

That's pretty much a given since Darmian has featured heavily on the tour. If LvG were planning on playing Tony, he would've started him to give him for some full speed game time.
Valencia was injured for the first couple games.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I cant understand why managers keep playing players out of position. SAF did it and so does LVG. Its one thing moving a player around because he's not doing well in his natural role (Pirlo style) or because he's growing old however moving him around out for Lulz is ridiculous. If we need a CB than we buy a CB.

pascell

Blind-Jones is like an answer to a quiz question of "attacking players aside, what's the least likely centre defence combo you'd want to see"

For one obvious thing, Smalling is better than Jones in all areas bar "brainless bravery", and Blind is not someone you'd want to see against height or pace.
Only lovely on the ball when he's got plenty of time, otherwise once he gets hassled, he either gets muscled off the ball or misplases his pass. We're asking for trouble having him play there against Kane, who is faster b and stronger than him.

buckooo1978

Louis needs to watch Rio and Vidic together to see what an effective CB partnership looks like.....

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Blind and Jones weren't actually an "awful" partnership, the goals came from both of them having nobody to mark as ibrahimovic dropped deep. That meant they decided to close down the midfielders and left a gaping hole that somebody made a run into.

If they just decided to hold their positions and not get sucked in (decisions/positioning errors) it wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad. Apart from those 2 sloppy goals we didn't really give them any other chances.

SambaBoy

Jones praise was mainly based on that he was young, burst through and he was highly rated. He showed some good attributes, he was tenacious, strong and good 1 on 1 but he hasn't improved since his time here if anything he's got worse. He doesn't look to establish himself and seems content to just be a squad player for us. He's had some good runs in the side but I don't think he has a long-term future here and I don't want to see him as a starter this season.

Despite being quite strong, he's too easily bullied or too rash in his defending. Always trying to get to the ball first when it's not necessary, it gives away silly free-kicks/penalties or he gets dragged out of position. His reading of the game leaves alot to be desired as well, he just doesn't seem a natural defender who can organise a back line. Notably in the past year, he's been much easier to beat one on one and in the air, even Chellini managed to skim him for England and it's happened a few times for United.

He should be kept as back-up because he's a decent enough player to provide cover when there is injuries but he should be nowhere near the starting 11 when everyone is fit.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.

Jones is the better footballer; his control, passing and vision is an improvement on Smalling, hence LVG's preference for him in preseason.

Eriku

:lol:

MAME DIOUF 32

I'm guessing it would've been Jones/Rojo if not for Rojo's apparent inability to renew a passport.

The only worse vaguely realistic option than Jones/Blind is Carrick/Blind. Smalling is our best defender and we needed to buy him a partner. I don't understand this at all.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
If we cannot get another CB, I would be content with what we have. Smalling/Jones/Rojo/Blind/Evans.

The only worry is injury. Jones and Evans seem so injury prone.

But we will get a CB. I think it will be Stones.

EDIT: I forgot McNair

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
We will finish outside the top 4 with this CB partnership and with our current attacking set up. LVG has lost it.

Fully Fledged

I tend to agree, although I think it's remarkable that Van Gaal would prefer Blind to Smalling at centre half. Blind will be badly exposed in that position very early in the season. Smalling is taller, faster, stronger , better in the air and...oh, right...a central defender! Blind may be a better passer of the ball, but his deficiencies in the position outweigh that by far. Is Van Gaal that desperate for a left footer in that position? Smalling is a third captain, and is obviously well thought of. I don't quite get the logic.
That was Mike Smalling not Chris.

Havak

Pokemon master
I would much rather see Smalling and Jones play together for the first few games until Rojo is back fit (to start over Jones) if LvG really has to have his left-footer, though I don't rate Rojo any higher than Jones... Just he fits the left-foot criteria. If Chris Smalling is third choice Captain, then I don't see why Jones has been playing a bit more in pre-season, at least it seemed that way.

Obviously, I hope Blind proves us all wrong, but LvG has at times said we lack height at the back, so I find it bizarre that he's been opting for two players who are barely 6ft as his preferred CB pairing in pre-season.

My opinion on how our defence should line up is as follows:

1st Choice: Darmian : Smalling : New CB : Shaw
2nd Choice: Valencia : Jones : Rojo : Blind
Kids: McNair : Blackett

McNair to cover RB and RCB if we're in crisis, with Blackett to do the same for the left side.

P.S. Assuming Rafael and Evans are sold.

Ekeke

I wanted to give LVG the benefit of the doubt because to me, nobody should be stupid enough to think that Blind / Jones is a good enough defence and certainly not good enough to keep Smalling on the bench. But it looks like LVG really believes that Jones is our best bet... We should be very scared.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Because obviously being left footed is more important than actually being able to play the position. Ffs if he really wants a LCB just play fecking Rojo! Be massively sceptical of LvG if he goes through with this.

Raw

Because obviously being left footed is more important than actually being able to play the position. Ffs if he really wants a LCB just play fecking Rojo! Be massively sceptical of LvG if he goes through with this.
I reckon he will play Rojo, it's just that he wasn't at the tour so Blind had to play there instead.

I hope it's Rojo - Smalling and not Rojo - Jones.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I know that the one benefit of Blind playing at CB is that we have a very good ball-playing player there. Out of Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rojo, McNair and Blind - the latter is definitely the best at passing. There was one moment against PSG where he played a delicious ball over the top from his CB position to Memphis/Rooney. It's always good to see an attack start from nothing. To be fair, I haven't really watched any full games of the tour really so I can't really give a valid opinion but from the negativity about it, I'm assuming that he didn't overly impress there? (Apart from one game where I remember reading that he played very well there - may have been against Barca).

I'm bemused that Jones is starting ahead of Smalling - especially given LVG stated that Smalling is the third captain. Having that type of tag suggests to me that he should be playing often. Fletcher was second captain last season and then once LVG noticed that he wasn't starting much, Carrick (?) became the second captain I believe.

Really hoping that when the season starts we see Smalling-Jones, if not Smalling-Blind. I'm sure that when Rojo returns and gets some match fitness he'll be playing at LCB.

Ekeke

I don't think Blind is even the problem. He's done okay, not as good as a new CB coming in but he hasnt had a lot of problems individually. Jones on the other hand has been sleeping

bugmat

At this point I'd prefer Blind over Jones, but the combo itself is terrible. If you're going to play a center mid at center back itd be nice to have someone beside him who understands the position and can help guide them along, Jones is not that person.
This. At least play Smalling with blind if you want to experiment.

mu77

jones and smalling did well in the run of games they played together. another slow start and early dropped points again? same shit different day stuff really. LvG , for all his bluster , will be under pressure from the fans. a left footed cb is fine if he's a very good cb. blind isn't , rojo is ok not very good.