View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

LDUred

I could never understand why some people were so against Evans returning especially when it was a freebie, mostly to guard against an injury crisis (which has happened).

Evans has a winner's mentality. He has won trophies at the highest level and is a link with United sides where success was part of the footballing culture. He has to be picked on merit, but having players around who've won the league several times along with other honours is good to have.

led_scholes

Paired with Varane they just have such cool heads and forethought , they also move the ball forward quickly we seen that tonight the performance tonight was more like the style we United supporters love and crave put the opposition on the back foot defend from the front stop their keeper and defenders looking around for the pass hurry them into making quick decisions which is how mistakes are made
It took 12 years, but finally we managed to pair them.

suheilsworld

Feel assured when he is playing over Lindelof. Been immense for us and a perfect stop gap till we sort our transfers next season. I do not mind him getting a 1 year extension if we are going to be offloading Varane and Lindelof.

Revaulx

I feel he’s been better now than he was here during Fergie’s time!
Yes I agree.

He always looked top class alongside Rio or Vidić but never managed to do it when he was the main man. I think LvG recognised his ability on the ball and really wanted him to succeed but he always seemed to find ways of screwing up, the spitting ban v Newcastle being the last straw.

He was obviously too good for West Brom, but I was always hopeful that a spell away from United would do him no harm. A shame we didn’t think of bringing him back earlier, though I don’t think his injury record has been great recently.

lysglimt

Scout
He will be fairly high on the Transfer rankings in the post-Fergie period. Has perhaps been our best defender this season

Raven

Used to love him back in the day and was disgusted when he was sold, he was really good for Leicester a lot of the time as well. Been a great bit of business bringing him back in.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Perfect injection to the squad! Just what we needed - a role model who has the club in his veins as is the case with so many of our previous Irish players.
Very well said.
I think there should be a special call out for Jonny Evans and for the manager for bringing him back, especially at his age.
Like you, I have been very impressed indeed with his performances.
Obviously no pace. But he reads the game so well and uses his vast experience.

Doing a great job.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Used to love him back in the day and was disgusted when he was sold, he was really good for Leicester a lot of the time as well. Been a great bit of business bringing him back in.
Spot on.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Best defender after Maguire this season.

He should never have been sold. £8m and replaced by dross like Rojo by LVG. No wonder SAF couldn't believe it.

Betson

Who would have thought when he was signed on the short contract during the summer how important a player for us he wold be this year.

As others have said , should never have been sold first time round, especially considering the dross we replaced him with.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

He should never have been sold. £8m and replaced by dross like Rojo by LVG. No wonder SAF couldn't believe it.
Think he's past Maguire for me - that Liverpol perfomrance but him over the top.

Unam333

Indeed. Although if my memory serves me right Evans wasn't particular good in the last (two) years at United. Still way better than Rojo and Bailly. :houllier:
I would even say we should have kept Smalling as well and let Jones leave. Letting Rafael go was the right thing imo.

Kostov

I feel he’s been better now than he was here during Fergie’s time!
Your memory is failing you mate, he was top class CB under Fergie. We took the record with him at CB for not conceding, he was absolutely top talent and still is a very very good player. LVG fecked us up by selling him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Indeed. Although if my memory serves me right Evans wasn't particular good in the last (two) years at United. Still way better than Rojo and Bailly. :houllier:
I would even say we should have kept Smalling as well and let Jones leave. Letting Rafael go was the right thing imo.
I don't think he was that bad. Went wrong when he got a 6 game ban for spitting at Cisse then was made one of the scapegoats for the MK Dons game.

Yes, Smalling was another bad sale. I said at the time.

AngliaRed

Great and composed in defence and we are lucky he has been as good as he has with all the injuries.

He does hang onto the ball a little longer than we would want though.

Idxomer

I don't think he was that bad. Went wrong when he got a 6 game ban for spitting at Cisse then was made one of the scapegoats for the MK Dons game.

Yes, Smalling was another bad sale. I said at the time.
This came first.

He was sold mainly because he was injury-prone, there's a reason WBA was the team that came for him. He needed to revive his career and prove his fitness at a lower level.

Gordon Godot

This came first.

He was sold mainly because he was injury-prone, there's a reason WBA was the team that came for him. He needed to revive his career and prove his fitness at a lower level.
I dont agree. We sell the wrong players. He went on to win the Premier league. He's always been a good defender and good on the ball. Think of all the money we have wasted on CBs since then, just to end up with him now a starter. I think it was LVG who sold him, guy was an idiot. I heard Fergie was livid.

I dont agree. We sell the wrong players. He went on to win the Premier league. He's always been a good defender and good on the ball. Think of all the money we have wasted on CBs since then, just to end up with him now a starter. I think it was LVG who sold him, guy was an idiot. I heard Fergie was livid.
Where?

Unam333

I had to look it up, but he didn't with the PL with Leicester. He did win the FA with them (so, he has won the CL, PL, FA, League Cup and Fifa Club World Cup) not too shabby.

Gordon Godot

I had to look it up, but he didn't with the PL with Leicester. He did win the FA with them (so, he has won the CL, PL, FA, League Cup and Fifa Club World Cup) not too shabby.
Yep my mistake. But Leicester bought him and made him captain. We should never sold him. Combined fees and salaries of Maguire, Lindelof, Blind, Rojo etc, latter three are definitely worse and Maguire is no better.

OldTrevil

Played very well yesterday and has done very little deserving criticism since his return. Also remember him being very good when partnered with Rio and thought he was unnecessarily sold. Happy to have him back and see him keep grandfather time at bay for a little while longer.

Marwood

Think he's been brilliant. I've criticised some of ETH's signings but Evans and Eriksen have been inspired pieces of business.

But selling Evans at the time wasn't particularly controversial. His form was terrible and he was constantly injured. The problem, as ever at United, was the replacements.

always_hoping

14 years later and Jonny Evans is still celebrating 3-2 comebacks against Aston Villa at Old Trafford. Selling him to West Brom in 2015 for £6m was awful piece of business.

jem

14 years later and Jonny Evans is still celebrating 3-2 comebacks against Aston Villa at Old Trafford. Selling him to West Brom in 2015 for £6m was awful piece of business.
That exact image came to my mind when I saw him celebrating with Hojlund. What a player Evans is!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
£6m? Was it really that low :eek:
We have a tendency to sell players at their lowest point (a place we take them rapidly). Evens went from someone everyone felt was a natural successor to Rio / Vidic - more Rio really and a definite starter for the next decade to a ‘deadwood’ causality of the Moyes era.

criticalanalysis

We have a tendency to sell players at their lowest point (a place we take them rapidly). Evens went from someone everyone felt was a natural successor to Rio / Vidic - more Rio really and a definite starter for the next decade to a ‘deadwood’ causality of the Moyes era.
That sounds like bit of an exaggeration? My memories was hazy during that time so I'm not 100% but I had always thought, whilst Evans was plenty capable and had potential, he never really grew out of that and was always on the cusp. He was decent on the ball and good defensively in reading of the game but lacked in any superior physicality, which would set him apart and dare I say was a bit passive. Vidic was a one man defence and made all of his centre back partners look good because he did all the heavy lifting and was a mentality monster. I think Evans benefited from this as he was young, doing his part for the team and was seen as 'one for the future' but I never thought 'this guy is the one' at all.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That sounds like bit of an exaggeration? My memories was hazy during that time so I'm not 100% but I had always thought, whilst Evans was plenty capable and had potential, he never really grew out of that and was always on the cusp. He was decent on the ball and good defensively in reading of the game but lacked in any superior physicality, which would set him apart and dare I say was a bit passive. Vidic was a one man defence and made all of his centre back partners look good because he did all the heavy lifting and was a mentality monster. I think Evans benefited from this as he was young, doing his part for the team and was seen as 'one for the future' but I never thought 'this guy is the one' at all.
Maybe not you and maybe not is definitely / for sure / 100 per cent ‘the one’ (few are) but he was very highly regarded. Pique was the one initially who was set for a big future with us but if I’m not mistaken he looked nervy in his first team appearances whereas Evan’s looked much more the real deal and went on to start well here. Obviously their careers eventually panned out very differently.

Teja

This is one reason stability would be nice for a change. We've tried the chop and change and it didn't work. To me it seems like Ten Hag's not quite the guy either but I think a patient approach for once might let us identify actual deadwood.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Fecking LVG - Rafael, Chicharito, Evans . 3 players who would die for the club.

Borninthe80ts

The one thing that I like about Evans is that he is a great counter to the physical criticism people sometimes throw out there to judge players. I’m not saying being fast, strong or tall can’t be an asset but players like this shows that football is for all sorts. So intelligent and composed.
Smart pick up again from the manager.