View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Thom Merrilin

He was impressive today. What I noticed is that he still has the pace to be competitive at the Premier League level. Probably not every week, but he's shown himself to be a decent enough backup for now.

always_hoping

Did his job by filling in well for first choice players who are out with decent defending and creating the games only goal. If only Maguire did the same..

Tom Van Persie

No relation

I love that he is here. First and foremost for his character in the dressing room. He'll improve the ratio of professional footballers vs entitled cnuts by quite a bit.
He knows exactly what it means to play for the club.

RikRuud

Sir Alex tearing him a new one vs A.C Milan still engrained in his memory. The man has standards and set them to the other players today.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Yep. Aside from Welbeck (who has done well to be fair) I think gutting that team was a massive mistake. It was way too much too quick.

Rafael in particular I really didn't want to see go. Loved that little nutter.
Majority wanted out of the club and did not like LVGs teacher approach. Let’s not ignore the petulance displayed by majority that thought LVG should adapt to them instead of them adapting to LVG.
Does anyone remember the email alert story? This all came after a year of undermining the previous manager. Even the club itself wanted some of those guys out. Let’s not rewrite history.

OleGunnar20

Majority wanted out of the club and did not like LVGs teacher approach. Let’s not ignore the petulance displayed by majority that thought LVG should adapt to them instead of them adapting to LVG.
Does anyone remember the email alert story? This all came after a year of undermining the previous manager. Even the club itself wanted some of those guys. Let’s not rewrite history.
Ayye sure, it was far from black and white. I was never a fan of LVGs football personally and don't remember the email story, but I take your point.

I'm a simple man and I love watching players who love the shirt, ala Evra, Vidic and Rafael. And RVP on his day was just magic to watch. LVGs football on the other hand was akin to being trapped in a dentist waiting room.

Back on topic - I'm delighted to have been proven wrong by Evans tonight, who I was worried to see starting so soon in the season. He seems a great character.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Ayye sure, it was far from black and white. I was never a fan of LVGs football personally and don't remember the email story, but I take your point.

I'm a simple man and I love watching players who love the shirt, ala Evra, Vidic and Rafael. And RVP on his day was just magic to watch. LVGs football on the other hand was akin to being trapped in a dentist waiting room.

Back on topic - I'm delighted to have been proven wrong by Evans tonight, who I was worried to see starting so soon in the season. He seems a great character.
I love Evans and don’t have a bad word to say about him. If he was back earlier for Leicester last season, they wouldn’t have relegated. He played the last few games with injury to trying and save their season.
That sort of character is special and can’t be ignored. Hopefully it will rub off on our academy graduates.

Winrar

I'm mnost getting sentimental here, but I'd be really happy if he can stand in for games like this and give us a solid performance like he did today for the next couple seasons if needed.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We are not worthy.... we are not worthy.
Sir Alex's old soldier still has more fights than some of the players combined.

berbasloth4

So so proud of how good jonny was today. He loves the club he has always busted his gut for us. What a great example

ArmaDino

I remember when we signed Maguire, that some Leicester fans were saying on here that Evans is the one that carried him in that defense.

Of course it was laughed off by the caf as nonsense. I mean how can a 80 million brand new toy be worse than a United reject sold for 3 million. Daylight robbery that.

And yet here we are 5 years later and Evans has produced an immense display.(one of which I haven't seen Maguire do in years)

And of course by tradition the caf had to have a moan as to how we are going backwards by signing a 35 year old free agent.

I mean why would you want to have player that came from our academy, was coached by SAF himself and is a multiple PL winner. No no no, we can't have experienced players with a winning attitude in our squad.

Lj82

One moment stood out for me in one of his last games for utd under LVG. We were initiated period where we had tonnes of possession but 0 shots on targets. There was a sequence of play where the ball was played to Johnny, he had no one to pass to and an opponent pressed him, he correctly passed the ball back to the keeper from near the halfway line. The collective moan at OT was so audible. Doesn't matter that he made the right decision at that point, fans were just fed up with the sterile football under LvG. Unfortunately for Johnny, LvG outlasted him.

Jev

So a goal, an outstanding assist and a faultless display in a clean sheet. I never understood why so many posters decided pre-game that it was an embarrassment he was playing. He was first-choice for Leicester last season, now he's fifth-choice here, arguably sixth-choice. Why in the world would that be embarrassing for the club?

foolsgold

Solid enough yesterday, would get exposed against the top teams but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him start again in the league cup next week. Entirely happy to have him back in the squad.

Kag

Rafael, Nani, Welbeck, Hernandez, Evra, Vidic, Van Persie.

You could argue some or most of them were on the decline, but to get rid of all of them so soon was foolish as these players had won league titles and would have been good to be kept around for a bit longer. He gutted the squad to get his own replacements far too soon and he was the main reason the club was set back so far after Sir Alex retired.
Other than Evra, who was getting on and actively wanted to leave, not one of those players demonstrated anything close to resembling form that was becoming of a United player upon leaving. And I loved all of them as players.

Evans in particular was atrocious and played himself out of the club. It was his own fault.

Good game yesterday, mind you. He was a sensible signing as fifth choice in the summer, as most sensible folk highlighted at the time.

crossy1686

career ending
Never underestimate what leadership and standards bring to a team. Got a goal and set one up last night, not to mention quality defending throughout the game. If we had more players with his attitude and desire we'd be absolutely fine.

manhood

Most importantly, he played it safe from the back, no fecking about.

prateik

Yeah.. Evans had some poor games.. he wasnt ready to step up at that time.. he got first team games away from the pressure.. was allowed to make mistakes and is a lot more experienced now..
I'm glad he had a good career .. and I'm always happy to see players like him in the squad.

We couldve kept him around as a squad player.. but it was probably better for him to move on too..

He is very much 4th choice at the point.. and thats fine. I really dont mind the club having a couple of experienced players around in the squad unless we really need that spot for someone else.

prateik

The caf rating system should be shut down.. its entirely pointless.

stw2022

The caf rating system should be shut down.. its entirely pointless.
Not sure anyone pays any attention to it to be honest. When someone has a really shite game people may be motivated to vote but less so when they are playing well. So you get scenarios where someone has been world class for months and you look and see their average Caf rating is something like 3.48

Eugenius

Yeah.. Evans had some poor games.. he wasnt ready to step up at that time.. he got first team games away from the pressure.. was allowed to make mistakes and is a lot more experienced now..
I'm glad he had a good career .. and I'm always happy to see players like him in the squad.

We couldve kept him around as a squad player.. but it was probably better for him to move on too..

He is very much 4th choice at the point.. and thats fine. I really dont mind the club having a couple of experienced players around in the squad unless we really need that spot for someone else.
This just seems revisionist. Vidic and Rio were crocks for their last 3-4 years and Evans played a lot and in big games. I believe he had a big run in our 2008-09 consecutive clean sheet record. It was mainly Evans and Rio CBs in our last title win.

He had a poor season under Moyes and LvG wanted a left footed CB and generally sold players awfully. But by then he was an established player who had a bad season in a difficult environment.

FireballXL5

I like Jonny, but it's a sad indictment of the club when he comes back and is our best player.

Lee565

That pass to Fernandes was class, can we now also bring back another old boy in welbeck as a back up player as well, he would be more effective than martial and understands what playing for this club means

spiriticon

He can still be a regular for a mid to lower table PL team.

For a 4th or 5th choice centre back, that's not a bad level.

Just got to keep in all in perspective.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I like Jonny, but it's a sad indictment of the club when he comes back and is our best player.
Evans is and was always one of the most underrated center backs in the Premier league. He was very good for us, trusted heavily by SAF and misjudged by Moyes. His Leicester stint was hugely successful, and he was their best defender in their title winning campaign.

Fitness is what got him, but if he can be managed on minutes he still has terrific value to add in leadership, organisation and game management. Not to mention hes cool as it comes in playing the ball out.

NZT-One

Just checked and Bruno Fernandes has a 5.1 average, which is even lower than Jadon Sancho's rating. :wenger:
The bigger issue is, that people understand the rating system differently... Just like you who seem to be suprised to see Bruno have a 5.1 even though that isn't a bad number at all. A 5 should be a performance where the player is either not doing anything wrong but doesn't stand out positively or it should be for a performance where the player has a lot of good moments but also a few shockers. A 5 isn't bad at all over a full match, let alone multiple ones with really bad performances all over the team.

But it seems like certain moments in matches skew the ratings (which is of course understandable, but I don't get the extent) a bit too much - like yesterday when people were rating Bruno with a 7 or even higher for a world class finish that was surrounded by not all that much of the bare minimum. Same for Casemiro against Bayern who struggled quite a bit but made two late goals out of nothing.

This just seems revisionist. Vidic and Rio were crocks for their last 3-4 years and Evans played a lot and in big games. I believe he had a big run in our 2008-09 consecutive clean sheet record. It was mainly Evans and Rio CBs in our last title win.

He had a poor season under Moyes and LvG wanted a left footed CB and generally sold players awfully. But by then he was an established player who had a bad season in a difficult environment.
They were rocks but they were getting old. Just like not too long ago, because of their pace, the team had to play with a deeper line which was an issue. Remember the famous 3-2 win in the cup where Fergie brought Smalling and Jones for the two big names and we changed the game. I am more than thankful to have witnessed Rio and Vida in their prime for our club but a top club has to move an. Same for Evra and RVP. The issues back then were Hernandez, Rafael and Wellbeck who, while not being great at all, at least gave us intensity and workrate. This dropped ridiculously down and you could argue that apart from spells, it hasn't fully recovered even today. That of course isn't just because we lost those specific guys but the recruitment wasn't able to bring in people who could provide that workrate. Another big issue was that we lost the spine of the team in this phase... Which again isn't solely down to some players being moved on - the issue was that Fergie clinged on a few players before he stepped down. Rio, Vida, Evra, Giggs, RVP even Carrick and probably one or two more were the spine of the team, leading figures who delivered every game to a good degree. We should have found players to take over from them but we didn't really. Which then resulted in falling down a cliff when they were gone during a relatively short period of time.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Other than Evra, who was getting on and actively wanted to leave, not one of those players demonstrated anything close to resembling form that was becoming of a United player upon leaving. And I loved all of them as players.

Evans in particular was atrocious and played himself out of the club. It was his own fault.

Good game yesterday, mind you. He was a sensible signing as fifth choice in the summer, as most sensible folk highlighted at the time.
The problem is LVG and Woodward bought replacements that were not improvements.

Amir

Evans is and was always one of the most underrated center backs in the Premier league. He was very good for us, trusted heavily by SAF and misjudged by Moyes. His Leicester stint was hugely successful, and he was their best defender in their title winning campaign.
That was indeed really impressive, considering the fact he was playing for West Brom at the time.