5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

rpitchfo

Maguire and evans were fine today.

Fullbacks and defensive midfield hopeless. I’m not going to criticise evans for a game he shouldn’t even be starting in

KeanoMagicHat

Has been admirable in his effort and how he's played but goes without saying that Evans shouldn't be starting for United against City in 2023.

Pickle85

I honestly can't really slate Evans. He's a serviceable enough option against much weaker sides but should never in a month of fecking Sundays be playing against opposition as strong as City.
This is how I see it. Not good enough but not his fault he's starting.

kundalini

Looks like a player that should either have retired or be getting the occasional match in the Championship.

yamo123x

Did ok today, don't blame him or maguire really, full backs were atrocious and midfield invisible

Andersonson

When Evans is starting to be a first choice along with Maguire something is seriously wrong at the club. Not that he is bad but he should be a backup considering his age and our ambitions. Credit to him for taking Varanes place,

ti vu

Did ok today, don't blame him or maguire really, full backs were atrocious and midfield invisible
Both Maguirr and Evans played a part in it though. They backpedaled too far behind, even when we tried to pressed. Too much space in between the lines. To a lesser extend, they also back to our box too soon, where it would be ideal to stand the ground. Also both took too many touches before moving the ball. Other players got marked and possession by passing between GK, CBs is very pointless. Arsenal nullified City with proper positional play, whereas we pretty much being dictated by City with every moves.

Danny

Both Maguirr and Evans played a part in it though. They backpedaled too far behind, even when we tried to pressed. Too much space in between the lines. To a lesser extend, they also back to our box too soon, where it would be ideal to stand the ground. Also both took too many touches before moving the ball. Other players got marked and possession by passing between GK, CBs is very pointless. Arsenal nullified City with proper positional play, whereas we pretty much being dictated by City with every moves.
Do you expect Maguire and Evans to play a high line against Haaland and Foden etc? Never going to happen!

Idxomer

For a centre-back against a team with most of the ball, he contributed nothing defensively.

ti vu

Do you expect Maguire and Evans to play a high line against Haaland and Foden etc? Never going to happen!
The players themselves can't decide tactic. It's ETH fault for sure. However, there is time when desperate time requires player's courage to commit to the tactic, they both surrendered to their instinct. Still playing how they feel more comfortable for themselves at 3-0, whereas even a consolation goal. Last season we got murdered in the first half at Etihad, but we showed the fight even when they game was lost. That spirit still helped us in the immediate future. Team back then had more fight in them. But now it's full on damage control. Everyone took care of their own interest, so the finger would be pointed at other players. This vicious cycle never makes a good team,

Sylar

It's hard to judge him cos he's not gonna say no to playing for us
But it's more an indication of where this club is at that he's playing for united v City, at the end of 2023 (not just playing but starting... again)

ti vu

It's hard to judge him cos he's not gonna say no to playing for us
But it's more an indication of where this club is at that he's playing for united v City, at the end of 2023 (not just playing but starting... again)
Character or professionalism wise, nobody can fault him, but we definitely can judge his performance for when it is good like against Burnley, or individually bad like this game.

This club is in big trouble where Evans was considering retiring himself amidst of no interest from other clubs, and here we are starting him for "tactics" reason (ETH response to Varane sitting on the bench).

Last edited:

Sylar

Character or professionalism wise, nobody can fault him, but we definitely can judge his performance for when it is good like against Burnley, or individually bad like this game.

This club is in big trouble where Evans was considering retiring himself amidst of no other interest from other clubs, and here we are starting him for "tactics" reason (ETH response to Varane sitting on the bench).
I certainly won't disagree. My point was kore towards your second paragraph.
Evans could have stinker after stinker but I'm not going to hold it on him like you do with other players who are or should be in their prime and don't show effort.
I think Evans will show effort but I can't think of many so called top clubs making signings like we have.

ToToMarshall

I actually didn't hate the signing when we made it, and still don't. In real terms he's probably our 6th choice central defender after the other 4 ones we have + Shaw. As emergency cover I really don't have a problem with him.

I really think he's actually still quite good? When you compare him with our other centre-halves I don't think he's the worst natural defender nor the worst ball-player of the lot, but given his age he's just completely immobile.

BorisManUtd

He'll be 36 in January but if Evans has a decent season with us (and so far he is having it), I'd keep him for another year. But obviously too early to be thinking about that. Just happy he's a solid signing that cost zero pounds.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Look I’ve always liked Evans but if a 36 year old is getting plaudits it speaks volumes to the absolute brainwashing you’ve all had over 6 years of Lindelof

lex talionis

Decent enough today but I’d like to know what the issue with Varane is. I can appreciate managing Varane’s minutes over the course of the season but this was a must win match. In any event, job done by Jonny.

Oranges038

Look I’ve always liked Evans but if a 36 year old is getting plaudits it speaks volumes to the absolute brainwashing you’ve all had over 6 years of Lindelof
Damn right.

And all along we heard about how Jonnt Evans was never good enough for Man Utd. Here he showing up the gowls that replaced him at 35.

He's a solid reliable player, always has been.

city-puma

He'll be 36 in January but if Evans has a decent season with us (and so far he is having it), I'd keep him for another year. But obviously too early to be thinking about that. Just happy he's a solid signing that cost zero pounds.
It’s just funny that we gain the most from two free transfers, Eriksen and him, compared with 400mil signings.

m1tch

In an ideal world he'd have made a sub appearance or two in no-consequence games, yet here he is starting all these games. Well done to him for stepping up and doing as well as he is, in such a dysfunctional side.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He is twice the CB Lindelof is, and that is laughable to say the least.
Lindelof would be lucky if he's still playing for PL side when his contract with United is running out.

I see both Evans and Maguire communicate a lot between themselves during the game. Never seen that when Maguire is partnering others.

Sgreddevil

After 10 years of spending ridiculous billions, our club still need to rely on a 36 year old Fergie's ex player to hold the fort. No disrespect to Evans and he has done a brilliant job so far for us but we shouldn't really be ending up depending on him as starters. Something is wrong with our recruitment when we spent large amount of money to bring in Mount who is a good player but we don't have urgent need for that when we should be spending on Kim Min Jae type of signing. We are not at City level and they can spend big on benchwarmers.

Yakuza_devils

No wonder we had so much success under SAF. Even his fringe players looks like one of our best player in 2023 after his 10 years retirement. Murtough should be out of the door by now wasting millions on Antony, Sancho, Mount, Casemeiro, and the likes

Sgreddevil

No wonder we had so much success under SAF. Even his fringe players looks like one of our best player in 2023 after his 10 years retirement. Murtough should be out of the door by now wasting millions on Antony, Sancho, Mount, Casemeiro, and the likes
Yes that was how good we were. Being just good is not going to give you a starting place in the squad. You got to be exception to be the starters. Vast difference with current situation when mediocre non performing players are still being given automated starting positions.

ClassOf'99

Lindelof would be lucky if he's still playing for PL side when his contract with United is running out.

I see both Evans and Maguire communicate a lot between themselves during the game. Never seen that when Maguire is partnering others.
I haven't been Maguire's biggest fan but he actually looks really comfortable next to Evans and they do seem to have an understanding to play well together, they just need cover from the fullbacks due to lack of pace but for some reason it works.

Jericho

Partly that, partly also that there were a lot of people pissed off with him being brought in due to his age. But as a 36 year old 5th choice CB he's done really well. Given the injury crisis we've had I think we can look back now and say bringing him in was good business. He was never supposed to be a replacement for Lindelof, and I'd agree if Lindelof is 3rd choice we need better. But who else could we have expected to come in as 5th choice CB and do as well as he has done.

Winrar

We really shouldn't be in a position to be relying on him as frequently as we are. That said, he's done what he's expected to do and then some.