Jonny Evans set to sign a one year contract

BaguetteBoy

Experience premiere league proven knows the club short term. If we play as many games as we did last year he will get a few games. Probably fitted right in with the lads and telling a few what it means to play for us. Don’t see anything wrong with that.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Well we at least still have a prem winning player in our squad now that David's gone.

fergosaurus

Don't see what's controversial about this. It's not like he's going to be the first name on the team sheet. He's experienced and a good pro who has impressed ETH enough to give him a one year deal as cover. It's a completely logical deal for both parties.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Imagine, first game of the season and he's on the bench with Maguire left out.

tomaldinho1

I'd wager he won't get a single PL minute, he's probably on like 20k a week max

Fr. Todd Unctious

He’s still a good PL defender. There’s nothing wrong with this move. This might also mean that we could reinvest the money from any Maguire sale into a different position this summer. If the budget is somewhat limited, it makes sense to kick replacing your fourth choice centre half down the road for a season.

This would be my thinking too. Gives ETH a chance to invest somewhere else that's of more importance this time around and move the defensive decision back to next summer.

FerociousCorgis

at this point im pretty sure evans would be 5th choice cb and maguire is now 6th choice. Writing is definitely on the wall now for all parties involved.

Dan_F

Fair enough. It seems like we can’t get anything through from the youth team at centre back for now, so it makes sense to get further cover in case we get a good bid for Maguire.

Chairman Steve

I honestly can’t see him playing that much if everyone’s fit. There’s probably some coaching or off-field opportunity with the club after the one year attached to it too.

Eddy_JukeZ

If he has to play at any point, :nervous:

I don't think he's looked good in pre-season.

davidmichael

To be fair Evans is probably better on the ball, better at bringing the ball out and quicker than Maguire even at 34 years old so I’m more than happy with him signing a year long contract.

With Evans he’d be happy being 4th/5th choice, loves the club, is a leader, will be on low wages, fills a homegrown spot and won’t complain or think he’s too good to be a back up option.

Trequarista10

I'm actually rather astonished at the number of individuals who can't see the rationale behind this move. Evans will barely play and will be paid pennies for occupying a squad position. Furthermore, it'll put massive pressure on Maguire to get his agent to find him a move and we'll get his wages out the club. Maguire is harbouring designs on being 3rd choice CB and waiting for Varane to catch an injury. Evans will challenge Maguire's spot and potentially push him to 5th choice.

Again, how are some people not seeing this move for what it is? It's not rocket science why EtH is doing it.
Spot on. If we had a promising CB on the cusp of breaking through who was 19-21 ish then I'd understand the criticism but we don't have any young CBs on the verge of the first team. And a promising young CB would cost anywhere in the region of 10 to 50 million plus wages, whereas the total expense for signing Jonny is I would guess more like 1, maybe 2 million for the season accounting for wages, bonuses, sign on fee, agent fee etc. Which is loose change for a club of United's size, but frees up funds for other additions. He'll be happy filling the bench, getting a few cup games or in the event of an injury crisis, whilst passing on his experience and being a good character around the team (which all ex-pros say is an invaluable asset to a successful team).

abailey123

Knows the club, been in some big dressing rooms.
One of those decisions, alongside Chicherito who should have never been sold when they did

saivet

I don't mind the move but not as a replacement for Maguire. If an injury crisis hits, the idea of Evans being our 4th choice CB would be a bit concerning, given his injury record.

Maguire might not be great but him being available more often than not is valuable.

Get rid of Maguire and bring in a younger CB with potential to replace Varane would be ideal. Ultimately having Evans would also put us in a better negotiating position for buying said CB as we won't be as desperate.

OleGunnar20

Sounds like a good idea as deep cover at the back there. Seems a good character and shouldn't be needed to play many minutes really. I imagine he'll be cheap too, which helps.

Sensible business.

AFC NimbleThumb

I don't mind the move but not as a replacement for Maguire. If an injury crisis hits, the idea of Evans being our 4th choice CB would be a bit concerning, given his injury record.

Maguire might not be great but him being available more often than not is valuable.

Get rid of Maguire and bring in a younger CB with potential to replace Varane would be ideal. Ultimately having Evans would also put us in a better negotiating position for buying said CB as we won't be as desperate.
Maguire is our 5th choice CB though. If we were playing Citeh at the weekend & Martinez were injured Shaw would start there.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Stoked to (hopefully) have Jonny back! Certain he can contribute, off the pitch, but on it as well.

ScholesyTheWise

I think he'll play more than people think. Not much, but he won't be insignificant. injuries for CBs seem to be quite common.
Are we absolutely sure that Lindelof and Bailly would be placed in front of him in the pecking order?

it may very well be Martinez--->Varane---> Shaw as CB---> Evans--->Lindelof--->Maguire--->Bailly*

how the hell is Bailly still here?

Gordon S

I think he'll play more than people think. Not much, but he won't be insignificant. injuries for CBs seem to be quite common.
Are we absolutely sure that Lindelof and Bailly would be placed in front of him in the pecking order?

it may very well be Martinez--->Varane---> Shaw as CB---> Evans--->Lindelof--->Maguire--->Bailly*

how the hell is Bailly still here?
I am certain Victor is in front of Jonny.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
If he has to play at any point, :nervous:

I don't think he's looked good in pre-season.

He hasn’t at all and anyone that thinks this is good deal obviously didn’t watch preseason games, he was caught out quite a lot. He looked slow and a yard behind everything. At most I can see him getting games in the early rounds of the cup but if it comes to point where we need him in the prem then we’re screwed.

it was obvious he was getting a contract though as soon as they announced he was training with us.

Rossa

I was never his biggest fan when he played for us. Typically lacking in physical attributes even at the time he left, so I doubt that has improved much, and he was always prone to a proper brainfart. That being said, he was always a decent overall defender, and as a squad option, he was more solid than most. I was, however, never confident about him as a starter for the first XI. He's confident playing out from the back, and would probably be a decent fourth-fifth choice if he accepts that role.

MinGin

Behind Martinez and Varane, there is a serious lack of quality. Evans, Lindelöf and Maguire are not starters and not good enough (even as backups), lets pray to god we dont have to rely on them for longer periods.

Disappointed we arent looking at a third CB, that could compete for a starting spot. We know Varane will be injured at some point.
Maybe we have not enough money to attract another potential starter (the fee maybe similar to Fofana or Gvardiol) for this position..
This is some emergency plan for 4 or 5th CB choice..

nainaisson

Since our starting left-back is our backup left-sided centre-back, you'd think Ten Hag would be more interested in Daley Blind, who's left-footed and two years younger than Evans. Maybe he passed on Blind because of his heart condition.

OverratedOpinion

I'm not sure if it's a popular opinion but I think at his best he was bordering on world class. Looks quite past it now.

If the deal is with a view to him doing his coaching badges, being an experienced player around the reserves and a 5th or 6th choice backup then I'm all for it.