Jonny Evans set to sign a one year contract

red.knight

Never really noticed how good he was before, even for 35. Good defending, looks calm and collected, good passing, very good headers, smart around the box. With SAF era mentality. He is definitely an upgrade on Maguire. Why not?

Atom67

He kept Rasmus Hojlund relatively quiet when Denmark met Northern Ireland in June. Evans looked really good in that game.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I am certain Victor is in front of Jonny.
I think EtH has a heavy preference for right footers at RCB and left footers at LCB, which was a big factor in Shaw playing there when Martinez was out.

I think it's more Varane > Lindelof/Maguire and Martinez > Evans/Shaw than a case of where Evans slides in overall.

Kag

I think EtH has a heavy preference for right footers at RCB and left footers at LCB, which was a big factor in Shaw playing there when Martinez was out.

I think it's more Varane > Lindelof/Maguire and Martinez > Evans/Shaw than a case of where Evans slides in overall.
Evans is right-footed.

ArbeitervonWien

How much did he play last season?
Played 13 PL games and one Cup game. 1142 minutes in total, according to transfermarkt.com. He was injured from october till may, but played the last couple of games.

I think qualitywise he's still good enough for a squad-place, but the persisting calf problems are a worry. Still little risk involved, no fee and probably moderate wages. Don't know if he's reliable enough to be 4th choice CB, as we already have an injury prone CB. But maybe it's enough, considering we also have Shaw. Anyway, if he's the 5th option I'm absolutly fine with him.

Kag

He’s very two-footed, granted. I think that he used to play on the left side of defence definitely confused folk. I bet there’s an old thread on here with people debating this very thing.

Bondi77

So do people seriously believe that Harry will leave his 200k a week contract because we have signed a 35yo on a one year deal??
Jesus wept!

Onerealunited

Fair signing if true. Every team should have 5 center backs. Let us be honest, Mengi won’t be that 5th choice and then it is good to have an option like Evans which is a leader, knows the club, is homegrown and won’t mind being the 5ft option

Red Royal

Fair signing if true. Every team should have 5 center backs. Let us be honest, Mengi won’t be that 5th choice and then it is good to have an option like Evans which is a leader, knows the club, is homegrown and won’t mind being the 5ft option
I thought that was Martinez :lol:

Aretak

So do people seriously believe that Harry will leave his 200k a week contract because we have signed a 35yo on a one year deal??
Jesus wept!
Along with being stripped of the captaincy, it makes it crystal clear to Maguire that he's surplus to requirements. Whether he actually moves on or not depends on whether he has any ambition left, or is happy to just collect his wages. Gareth Southgate already warned him a couple of months ago that his England place is under threat if he doesn't play more games. Another fish in the pond is hardly going to help him that respect.

Bondi77

Along with being stripped of the captaincy, it makes it crystal clear to Maguire that he's surplus to requirements. Whether he actually moves on or not depends on whether he has any ambition left, or is happy to just collect his wages. Gareth Southgate already warned him a couple of months ago that his England place is under threat if he doesn't play more games. Another fish in the pond is hardly going to help him that respect.
Well he is contracted until 26 so if the club decide to pay out his contract then that is always an option.
I wonder if players like Sancho and Antony will push for a move if our best RW option is available again as their game would be severely limited and their international chances would surely diminish....mind you...the money is good at Utd.

matsdf

Jesus wept!
Yes. He probably wants to play the Euros when summer comes.

Alemar

It’s not about signing a 35 year old, it’s about being able to not include Maguire in a match day squad. Currently he is always included as we need CBs on the bench, but if we get another one, Maguire may be omitted.

Say, Varane-Martinez start, Lindelof and Evans on the bench - no need to even bother with Maguire. And if it goes like this, Maguire will definitely lose any chances to play for England

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Really sensible signing. Knows the club inside out, plenty big game experience and still very capable if he is called upon.

Bondi77

It’s not about signing a 35 year old, it’s about being able to not include Maguire in a match day squad. Currently he is always included as we need CBs on the bench, but if we get another one, Maguire may be omitted.

Say, Varane-Martinez start, Lindelof and Evans on the bench - no need to even bother with Maguire. And if it goes like this, Maguire will definitely lose any chances to play for England
We knocked back 20mil from the Hammers when there was interest and I honestly could not see us doing the same for Lindelof so let's see what happens.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
This is definitely the end of Maguire.
Evans is a great stop-gap, until we're ready to properly invest in centrebacks next year. He's just as competent in the air while being better on the ground. He also counts a "club trained" home-grown player for champions league. Lastly, nobody will whine about him not getting adequate game time as he's in the twilight of his career.

I suspect the depth-chart for CBs will be this:
LCB: Martinez, Lindelof, Shaw, Evans
RCB: Varane, Lindelof, Evans

I think those less important games where we rest our starting 11 CBs will be Lindelof as LCB and Evans as RCB. I think we won't see Shaw as much at CB as we did last season, even though he played well there because we now have actual CBs who are also good with the ball on both feet.

berbasloth4

I played against Johnny and corey in u15s I got a 3/10 but we won 3-0. Johnny for a year as backup is a no brainer should never got sold.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Don’t see anything negative with this. Decent backup and will bring a warmth fuzzy feeling to the older fans amongst us.

norm87cro

Look its a one year deal and since we have a injury prone Varane, the not so tall Martinez, Maguire and the worst CB this club has ever seen in the last 20 years a one year contract to Evans (after the Sanchez debacle and giving a three year contract to a man with hearth issues and a few more) doesnt seem like bad business. And it gives us more CB options that we could adress in January

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Love to see him out there for some reason, blast from a better past maybe?

Always felt his red in the 1-6 that ultimately cost us the derby and the league in 2011-12 was harsh as feck.

Gandalf

Still no confirmation beyond the initial article and his short term contract is about to expire. I am not going to complain if it does happen but it is amazing seeing all the posts from people pretending he is good enough. I have been able to watch every minute of the pre season games and he has been poor to terrible on every appearance.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Still no confirmation beyond the initial article and his short term contract is about to expire. I am not going to complain if it does happen but it is amazing seeing all the posts from people pretending he is good enough. I have been able to watch every minute of the pre season games and he has been poor to terrible on every appearance.
You're not getting anyone better to come in and be 5th choice. He'll play a few games mostly from the bench and will probably retire at the end of the season or eased into a Mcshane/Huddlestone type role.

Pronewbie

Peep
Yes very heavy legged. I'd be happy to see him in the domestic cups if Harry gets sold. He'll still be 3rd choice in either CB slot though so that's fine by me. I think he's been signed for his experience.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm not particularly sure if we need to sign CBs with experience written in "strengths" considering we have only experienced cbs, but I'm fine with Evans for a year.

Bondi77

Erik prefers right footed players on the right and left on the left.
Evans is as left footed as Harry is so do not be surprised to see him cover for Varane