Jonny Evans set to sign a one year contract

Stadjer

He’s absolutely crocked. Struggled to stay fit last year. This has to be just to tick the “homegrown” box. Because when Varane picks up an injury, I’d put my house on this guy being out injured at the same time and of absolutely no use to us.
Seems a very Glazernomics type move
When Varane picks up an injury Lindelof will play. When Varane and Lindelof are injured Evans might play.

GBBQ

If we get to a stage in the season where we need to start Evans our season is already fecked. It’s extreme cover and probably a run out in the league/fa cup early rounds to rest Varane.

It probably points to the fact we have had to overpay on Mount and Hojlund so we can go big next summer.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
With Telles and possibly Baily leaving next , this looks like a great decision. No drama over fees and a capable last resort backup.

Gandalf

I'm actually rather astonished at the number of individuals who can't see the rationale behind this move. Evans will barely play and will be paid pennies for occupying a squad position. Furthermore, it'll put massive pressure on Maguire to get his agent to find him a move and we'll get his wages out the club. Maguire is harbouring designs on being 3rd choice CB and waiting for Varane to catch an injury. Evans will challenge Maguire's spot and potentially push him to 5th choice.

Again, how are some people not seeing this move for what it is? It's not rocket science why EtH is doing it.
Unless you are the player or Richard Arnold you really can't make a statement like that with such confidence. I mean, he won't play much if we sign him but that is because he is a walking injury and will never be available, he won't be pushing Maguire he will be taking over the honorary Phil Jones role laying on the treatment table and talking about how he won stuff with SAF.

CM

Is this being done with one eye on a coaching role or a similar type of situation as Tom Huddlestone? That's the only way I can see this deal making sense, Evans isn't capable of contributing for our first team at his age. If Maguire's lack of mobility is a problem, Evans will get absolutely shredded by anyone with even a little bit of pace.

Hoof the ball

Unless you are the player or Richard Arnold you really can't make a statement like that with such confidence. I mean, he won't play much if we sign him but that is because he is a walking injury and will never be available, he won't be pushing Maguire he will be taking over the honorary Phil Jones role laying on the treatment table and talking abou thow he won stuff with SAF.
If Evans joins it'll hasten Maguire's exit before Evans picks up his inevitable injury and this would free up FFP space to bring in an actual Maguire squad replacement. Evans will sit on the treatment table as no.5 CB (ala Jones) and so on and so forth.

Jericho

Absolutely pathetic. To think a lot of people were having a go at me by saying "It's only a 2 game deal for pre-season!"
Based on those 2 games he's earned a spot as 4th choice. What's you're problem with signing Evans for a year, you don't trust Ten Hag's judgement on this?

Gandalf

With Telles and possibly Baily leaving next , this looks like a great decision. No drama over fees and a capable last resort backup.
A couple of mentions of these two leaving in connection with this and yet they were both out on loan last season so why do they need replacing? They are/were the deadest of dead wood and have already been replaced.

Morpheus 7

Great signing, sure he'll prove to be the big difference in us challenging. Am I doing it right, let's stay positive red cafe. Murtough is doing great deals, no moaning it's all perfect.

Jericho

Is this being done with one eye on a coaching role or a similar type of situation as Tom Huddlestone? That's the only way I can see this deal making sense, Evans isn't capable of contributing for our first team at his age. If Maguire's lack of mobility is a problem, Evans will get absolutely shredded by anyone with even a little bit of pace.
So we sign a guy who as you put it "isn't capable of contributing to our first team" to occupy a place in the first team squad for a whole year just so we can get him as a coach the year after? Nothing about this gives off the sense of the McShane/Huddlestone situations, those guys never saw the light of day of the first team.

spiriticon

He won't be playing much so I don't know why people are up in arms.

If he is playing, it means 4 defenders are injured and that's not really his fault. Blame the other defenders for being weak as piss instead.

People moan about Kim Min Jae but Kim is not coming here on a 50k wage and warming the bench as a 5th choice.

CM

So we sign a guy who as you put it "isn't capable of contributing to our first team" to occupy a place in the first team squad for a whole year just so we can get him as a coach the year after? Nothing about this gives off the sense of the McShane/Huddlestone situations, those guys never saw the light of day of the first team.
That's exactly my point. Evans shouldn't be seeing the light of day with the first team either. He was playing with the rest of the academy players in the Wrexham friendly, hence the question.

Jericho

Great signing, sure he'll prove to be the big difference in us challenging. Am I doing it right, let's stay positive red cafe. Murtough is doing great deals, no moaning it's all perfect.
No, far from it in fact. Try to be a little more reasoned/balanced in how you react to things. It's not always one extreme or the other.

Jericho

That's exactly my point. Evans shouldn't be seeing the light of day with the first team either. He was playing with the rest of the academy players in the Wrexham friendly, hence the question.
He played with the first team the game before it.

el3mel

Ehhhh..not sure about that. We don't really need more deadwood but at the same I don't think he'll play that often with Varane, Martinez and Lindelof, so he won't be a big issue I guess ? He'll probably play in the cup games most of time.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
A couple of mentions of these two leaving in connection with this and yet they were both out on loan last season so why do they need replacing? They are/were the deadest of dead wood and have already been replaced.
Because we were using Shaw as a CB last season when the injuries happened. I guess ETH doesn't want to do that again.

atkar83

I was glad when we finally got rid of him. He's like a weaker Lindelof imo, and now it's what, 8 years later? If he plays 2 or 3 games all year that's fine, but I just don't see the point

renatosanches85

Sensible move, he can pass on his experience to the younger lads like Casemiro, Varane and Eriksen.

AdNani

Absolutely pathetic. To think a lot of people were having a go at me by saying "It's only a 2 game deal for pre-season!"
fecking get a grip, he's a 5th choice centre back.

waza7111

Sentimental nonsense. Our fans are obsessed with re-signing former players.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Guaranteed, he won't get booed.

Last two weeks have been intense. On to the next one, and keep up momentum.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Reckon he’ll get plenty of mins throughout the season. Varane nailed on for a 3 month injury and we’ll need to rotate during that period.

Glorio

EtH: We need to sell you Harry, you're not in my plans and we need the funds

Maguire: I want to prove my worth, I'll fight for my place

EtH: I've had an entire season to assess your worth son, sorry, you've be a model pro, but you're not in my plans

Maguire: You don't have anyone else who brings the unique experience and perspective I bring to this team

EtH: And what perspective would that be?

Maguire: These shiny toys you have, they don't know suffering, they only know success. They'll be lost in the chaos wherein I thrive.
I have seen the other side, I have had to slug it out in multiple relegation battles, with teams who have fallen from glory, and I've come out standing. Tell me Dutchman, tell me where you'll find my unique perspective in the day of reckoning?

EtH (smiles): Hold my beer

Dread Devil

I can’t believe people are complaining about this….we can’t buy another CB until one leaves…we are restricted by FFP…

If we get a bid close to the deadline for Maguire it’s so much better to say yes. Take the money and start preparing for his replacement ,knowing that we have Evans to fill in for early Fa Cup and League cup rounds as well as giving advice / coaching with younger players…

If Maguire leaves earlier we still have time to buy an up and coming centre back to replace him…

If Maguire stays we haven’t spent anything and wages aren’t huge..

We need this security either way…the ball is in our court..it’s a very clever move.

dinostar77

Should never have been sold in the first place. Good experienced pro, who knew the standards set under fergie. Glad hes got a one year deal

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If it means we don't sign an emergency CB if Maguire leaves then that's great to me. Gives us breathing room to scout and sign the correct CB. While shifting funds to a more important part of the squad.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It’s a smart move. I’m sure that Evans is steeped in the foundations of the club and we lost our last remaining SAF player this summer. He will show standards to the young players and in training.