Jordan Henderson: overrated/underrated?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The reactions are so ridiculous it obvious they come mostly from a place of anti Liverpool bias.
They don't. It's a ridiculous notion. If I created a similar thread about Van Dijk (I won't) the reaction would be completely different.

He's a bang average player. Couldn't say the same about Butt at his best here.

RochaRoja

This Ade fella really is running with the Butt being better than Henderson thing. I thought he was just taking the piss.

Henderson would walk into United’s current midfield and improve it but that’s not to say they shouldn’t be aiming a lot higher in regards to starting XI players if they’re looking to go up a level.

Paul_Scholes18

Fletcher 09-11 was significantly better than what we are seeing from Henderson these past few years.
I think Fletcher was slightly better, but not massivly. I think his qualities in the air and in terms of scoring goals was better than Hendersons mainly. In terms of mobility and passing they are pretty similar I think.
Both great squad players with tactical abilities.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
I think he would be good in this current United side. Would literally do the dirty work in the midfield and do Pogba's running for him...plus he seems the type to have a go at anyone who isn't putting 100% effort on the pitch...saw a video of him rollicking Salah in the final for not pressing intensely.

Paul_Scholes18

Has he died or something because there’s like features on him everywhere
An english midfielders that just won the CL as captain. Given that England play tonight I can understand why people would talk about him right now here. Could be talking about Kane too I guess.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Fletcher was a better player than Henderson, better technique but both are/were pretty good players who look/ed above their level because of the team and the system.

Henderson looked bang average in some of the horrific Liverpool teams he played for, Fletcher would’ve looked nothing special playing for the current United team.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think it depends how you rate him. In a way it feels natural to sort of rate him highly because he's the captain of an immensely talented CL winning side, but at the same time he's far from Liverpool's best player and someone easily expendable if improved upon.

I don't think he's a bad player, and he's certainly capable of some very good moments, but I often gets the impression he plays like a player who's better than he is, if that makes sense? He's a sort of reliable squad player who plays as if he's the Gerrard-esque heart of the team, the driving figure or whatever you want to call it. Although I dunno, maybe that's just my perception of him. If you think he's a highly integral figure to this Liverpool side, you're overrating him. If you think he's rubbish, you're underrating him. So the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Henderson is probably one of the least naturally talented players in our squad, but he has grown to be one of our most important players nonetheless.

He is very much the heart of our team, and a big reason why the team work their socks off for each other and don't let ego's get in the way.

ariveded

I think he and Ozil can be interesting comparison. Henderson is a leading player in fitness, commitment, consistency yet have a limited technical ability. Ozil is a leading player in technical ability and skills, yet has concentration, commitment, fitness issues. I think most would rather have a Henderson than Ozil, and shows how much the mentality part is underrated.

adexkola

Supports
I think he and Ozil can be interesting comparison. Henderson is a leading player in fitness, commitment, consistency yet have a limited technical ability. Ozil is a leading player in technical ability and skills, yet has concentration, commitment, fitness issues. I think most would rather have a Henderson than Ozil, and shows how much the mentality part is underrated.
A merge of Henderson and Ozil would be amazing. Aka a Bernando Silva kind of player.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He looked to be regressing under Klopp, backwards passing, running around in marked positions, basically not meeting his responsibilities in possession. Right up until Fabinho dumped him out of the first eleven with proper midfield performances.

Since then, basically for the past year, he's just been top class. He looked liberated playing as a box to box midfielder in the second half of last season and he looks even better now in the deeper role in Fabinho's absence. Strong passer, always shows for the ball and great defensively. Had all the elements you want in your midfielder these days. Has completely nullified any concerns there might be about missing the second best midfielder in the league till January. Proper midfield captain really. He's better now than I dared hope he'd ever become.

Reckon it's time to stick a fork in the 'weak midfield on paper' claim. Henderson and Wijnaldum are top quality midfielders and Fabinho genuinely world class. Even Keita is stepping up his game lately.

adexkola

Supports
He looked to be regressing under Klopp, backwards passing, running around in marked positions, basically not meeting his responsibilities in possession. Right up until Fabinho dumped him out of the first eleven with proper midfield performances.

Since then, basically for the past year, he's just been top class. He looked liberated playing as a box to box midfielder in the second half of last season and he looks even better now in the deeper role in Fabinho's absence. Strong passer, always shows for the ball and great defensively. Had all the elements you want in your midfielder these days. Has completely nullified any concerns there might be about missing the second best midfielder in the league till January. Proper midfield captain really. He's better now than I dared hope he'd ever become.

Reckon it's time to stick a fork in the 'weak midfield on paper' claim. Henderson and Wijnaldum are top quality midfielders and Fabinho genuinely world class. Even Keita is stepping up his game lately.
Bolded is spot on, and I think it's been so since the second part of last season.

meamth

It's like their overall in FIFA suddenly booming to 85-89 score.

Late bloomer. Not going to argue with that.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Henderson's underrated by many because he's not a David Silva or Paul Scholes type of midfielder. But he does what he does for Liverpool extremely well & is a very important player for us. Think it's worth reminding people that for the past few seasons he's played a deeper-lying role which means he's not been in the spotlight quite as much on the field. I've posted a video of all his Liverpool goals just to show he's got a lot more to his game than just passing the ball sideways all the time.

fastwalker

Have to agree with this. Fabinho's arrival seems to have transformed Henderson. That is the value of having competition in every position. I have never been a fan of Henderson myself and have never really "got him" as a player. That said, this season he has produced some outstanding performances for you. He has also emerged as a natural leader on the pitch. I think he was severely hampered taking the captain's arm band after Gerrard and whilst he will never come close to Gerrard as a player, he performs the captain's role well. The thing that counts against him though is his lack of goals. Either way, Klopp clearly sees him as an integral part of that Liverpool side and who would argue with Kloppo right now?

The Clinch

Supports
Liverpool
Henderson is probably one of the least naturally talented players in our squad, but he has grown to be one of our most important players nonetheless.

He is very much the heart of our team, and a big reason why the team work their socks off for each other and don't let ego's get in the way.
I personally think Henderson is an excellent player. He's not overall world class but he does certain things to a world class level. His passing range is fantastic, with world class level long range passing. His energy, discipline in-game intelligence and game management skills are superb. He links play very well from the number 8 position and his speed of play is very good. He spots danger, organises his teammates well and is very adaptable. His major weaknesses to me are 1. He doesn't take the ball well on the turn, and this is particularly noticeable when playing as a number 6, resulting in him often passing the ball back to his defenders or full backs. This can stifle the attack. If he's facing forward he is very good! 2. He doesn't have elite acceleration or top speed. He's otherwise an excellent central midfielder. I do think that he looks worse in games at the number 6 because he too often faces the defenders to receive the ball and too oftencan't turn the other way!

Classical Mechanic

Is it fair to say that he's Liverpool's best CM this season and in their top 5 most important players? he has 20(3) apps out of 24 in the PL this year and has been getting plaudits for performances.

Naturally I'm interested because @adexkola claimed he was a straight clogger when I said he deserves more respect last year :angel:

ariveded

He isa decent player at best. He is playing at a team performing well + English, and thus gets some undeserved praises and hype. Maybe, he plays for an elite team where players like him are rare, somebody who has fitness, runs nonstop, and doesn't complain...

NoLogo

He is a good player because he can do exactly what is asked of him. Individually he might not be the best player to ever walk onto a pitch but I'm pretty sure his managers love that he is able to carry out their instructions perfectly and he works great in Klopps setup.

adexkola

Supports
Is it fair to say that he's Liverpool's best CM this season and in their top 5 most important players? he has 20(3) apps out of 24 in the PL this year and has been getting plaudits for performances.

Naturally I'm interested because @adexkola claimed he was a straight clogger when I said he deserves more respect last year :angel:
Fabinho is Liverpool's best CM this season.

I made a thread asking if other teams would purchase him. I wonder if that has changed. Would he improve City's midfield? Or Madrid's?

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Henderson is a decent player. Solid and reliable. He is well down the pecking order in terms of great midfielders in Liverpool’s history.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I like him. Good all-rounder and, by all accounts, has a great attitude around the club.

You definitely see a stark contrast in Liverpool performances when he doesn't feature.

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
Yep, stand by it.

I would gladly take Fabinho. Again, what top midfield in Europe does Henderson walk into?
Liverpools midfield and that is all you need to know. They reached two CL Finals, won one and were 2nd in the Premier last season and will win the PL this season.
You don't do this without a top midfield.