Jordan Henderson: overrated/underrated?

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
What he lacks in technical ability, he makes up for it in hard work off the ball in pressing and closing down and also leadership. You need characters like him and Milner in the dressing room, almost like sheriff's in the locker room.

I will say this about Henderson on the ball, he does have a lovely cross in him.

PureCantona7

In his autobiography Sir alex says the scousers signings that they made actually haunted him amongst which was Henderson a player Steve Bruce was raving about. He said forget him his gait will give us injury problems.

If we don't sort are scouting, director football blah blah and we just really on Sir Alex's old boys we are done. No trophies for decades. Gait my a***. Please tell me how Fellani gait is any better?

We used his brother for who knows how long and now we have no clue what we are doing.

We bought Sanchez and paid bucks in wages so he can test are physio beds, how come injury proness doesn't matter here?

I love the man and what his done for us, his the one who bought Cantona when no one gave him thought, people get things wrong I get that and his trophies proved he got most of them right but in any organisation you need checks and balances.

When he got things wrong his genius got himself out of these holes. We don't have that now.

We bought the likes of Fellani and became a Everton 6 position side, hardly takes a rocket scientist to work out that would happen.

If he stopped us getting Henderson when he was manager couldn't he have said what the hell is Fellani doing coming to Old trafford?

If I see them pick up even more titles incl knocking us off the league perch, I'm going to be sick. I'll give up on football. Cmon United lets sort it out.

RochaRoja

Henderson is quite unlucky to have been around in the era he was tbh. In the ‘90s his technically deficiencies wouldn’t have been a big deal and he would be able to play as a natural “box-to-box” player in a two.

He’s certainly no worse than players like Sherwood, Batty, Butt and Lee.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
In his autobiography Sir alex says the scousers signings that they made actually haunted him amongst which was Henderson a player Steve Bruce was raving about. He said forget him his gait will give us injury problems.

If we don't sort are scouting, director football blah blah and we just really on Sir Alex's old boys we are done. No trophies for decades. Gait my a***. Please tell me how Fellani gait is any better?

We used his brother for who knows how long and now we have no clue what we are doing.

We bought Sanchez and paid bucks in wages so he can test are physio beds, how come injury proness doesn't matter here?

I love the man and what his done for us, his the one who bought Cantona when no one gave him thought, people get things wrong I get that and his trophies proved he got most of them right but in any organisation you need checks and balances.

When he got things wrong his genius got himself out of these holes. We don't have that now.

We bought the likes of Fellani and became a Everton 6 position side, hardly takes a rocket scientist to work out that would happen.

If he stopped us getting Henderson when he was manager couldn't he have said what the hell is Fellani doing coming to Old trafford?

If I see them pick up even more titles incl knocking us off the league perch, I'm going to be sick. I'll give up on football. Cmon United lets sort it out.
What is this?

Google translate tells me you are trying to say Fellaini being bought was SAFs fault?

Andersonson

Henderson is quite unlucky to have been around in the era he was tbh. In the ‘90s his technically deficiencies wouldn’t have been a big deal and he would be able to play as a natural “box-to-box” player in a two.

Are you on about? He aint a technical genius but you make it sound like he's awful. " deficiencies "... Hendo is a very very good player and has good enough technique for his role.

He's very underrated by united fans it seems. Better than Keita and almost better than every midfielder we got

Classical Mechanic

Weird logic in this post. He's just captained his side to two consecutive Champions League finals and won one of them.

Sherwood, Batty, Butt and Lee could only dream of that.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Limited player, but aware of his limitations and plays within them. Good decision making, leader, great engine on him.

I'd have him here, tbh, if he was playing for another team.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He's a Champions League winner.
I don't follow Liverpool, but is he not the captain, too?
He must be a very very good player. Elite, in fact, if he is captaining the CL winning side.

I wish I could say the same for our captain - Ashley Young.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Really? I don't think he was better at all. They're probably at a similar level all told. Plus my statement that Butt could only dream of captaining a side in consecutive Champions League final is accurate enough.
Henderson could dream of having multiple PL medals. Seriously, am I dreaming? A player that was picked over Scholes for many games is worse than Jordan fecking Henderson?

Classical Mechanic

Henderson could dream of having multiple PL medals. Seriously, am I dreaming? A player that was picked over Scholes for many games is worse than Jordan fecking Henderson?
Butt was a limited player too. There's really nothing controversial about saying that Henderson is a similar level player to him.

Irrational.

He's not world class by any stretch of the imagination, but he makes up for that in sheer determination and heart on the pitch. Our midfielders could only wish for the same level of commitment as him. I guess they beat him when it comes to commitment on Instagram and Snapchat though, so that's something.

Classical Mechanic

He wasn't. But if a single medal is enough to convince you otherwise then cool. Someone probably compared Butt to Traore in 2005.
It's not the same though is it? Captaining a side to two Champions League final is different to winning one medal.

As for your point on Scholes. Admittedly my memory isn't good enough but I can't see from their appearance records that Butt took significant game time from Scholes. When Butt was at his short peak in terms of appearances for United he made 33,31,32 apps in the PL from 97 - 00 and 7,8,6 in the CL. Scholes in that same time frame made 31,31,31 apps in the PL and 7,12,11 in the CL. Scholes's game time only reduced in the big comps a few seasons after Butt had left the club.

RochaRoja

Weird logic in this post. He's just captained his side to two consecutive Champions League finals and won one of them.

Sherwood, Batty, Butt and Lee could only dream of that.
I’m talking about his reputation. He would be much higher rated if he played in previous eras.

RochaRoja

Phil Neville and O’Shea were also picked plenty in midfield ahead of players like Scholes, Verón and Carrick by Ferguson. Were they better midfielders than Henderson?

adexkola

Supports
It's not the same though is it? Captaining a side to two Champions League final is different to winning one medal.

As for your point on Scholes. Admittedly my memory isn't good enough but I can't see from their appearance records that Butt took significant game time from Scholes. When Butt was at his short peak in terms of appearances for United he made 33,31,32 apps in the PL from 97 - 00 and 7,8,6 in the CL. Scholes in that same time frame made 31,31,31 apps in the PL and 7,12,11 in the CL. Scholes's game time only reduced in the big comps a few seasons after Butt had left the club.
Your problem is you're placing extreme value on this captain lark.

Fact of the matter is that he's probably the worst player in Liverpool's starting squad. That he happens to be captain is a cool thing I guess, but I'm not sure why that matters in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure others can confirm that before the early 2000s, Butt was usually selected in the tougher games over Scholes. He even made it into a PL team of the season during that era. That's not happening with Henderson today.

Br1_ovi

Supports
F.C. Barcelona
Remember how Fletcher was important to partner Carrick when you were great...

Classical Mechanic

Your problem is you're placing extreme value on this captain lark.
I'm not placing extreme importance on it. I think you're undervaluing it. I don't think he's the worst player in their 'starting squad' either.

I'm not sure on your Nicky Butt point either. Scholes played a lot more CL games than him in that time and by a margin. Perhaps there were a few games where Fergie wanted Butty to go and kick some players in a big game and selected hi mover Scholes.

adexkola

Supports
I'm not placing extreme importance on it. I think you're undervaluing it. I don't think he's the worst player in their 'starting squad' either.

I'm not sure on your Nicky Butt point either. Scholes played a lot more CL games than him in that time and by a margin. Perhaps there were a few games where Fergie wanted Butty to go and kick some players in a big game and selected hi mover Scholes.
Starting 11, who's worse than Henderson? Run down the list.

robinvpersie

What has happened to this place?

Jesus christ!

adexkola

Supports
They don't have a fixed starting 11 but Matip, Lovren, Gomez (currently), Kieta (currently), Wijnaldum (probably a similar level).
Gomez when fit is much better. He and VVD is probably their CB pair set for the next decade. Matip is a very good backup IMO. Wijnaldum is better than Henderson. A more refined skillset.

Lovren and Keita I'll give you, but Klopp will be disappointed if Keita remains at this level.

Still you're scraping the bottom of the list here. He's a mid tier midfielder at best if you look at the midfielders in the top 6 right now. Would you have him at United?

Classical Mechanic

Gomez when fit is much better. He and VVD is probably their CB pair set for the next decade. Matip is a very good backup IMO. Wijnaldum is better than Henderson. A more refined skillset.

Lovren and Keita I'll give you, but Klopp will be disappointed if Keita remains at this level.

Still you're scraping the bottom of the list here. He's a mid tier midfielder at best if you look at the midfielders in the top 6 right now. Would you have him at United?
I'm not scraping any barrel. All those players that I mentioned have to be considered in their 'starting squad'.

He's not one of their best players sure.

Yes I would have him at United. We are a team that lacks leaders and players with work ethic. He'd be a fine addition to the midfield currently.

adexkola

Supports
I'm not scraping any barrel. All those players that I mentioned have to be considered in their 'starting squad'.

He's not one of their best players sure.

Yes I would have him at United.
We are a team that lacks leaders and players with work ethic. He'd be a fine addition to the midfield currently.
Confirmation that I'm not crazy. I'd be interested in seeing the results of a poll on that (ignoring his Liverpool status obviously).

Treble

He's a great fit for certain tactical systems and a donkey for other systems. He is not overrated or underrated per se.

Schneckerl

If he'd play here, everybody would call him 'not United level'
Useful player for Liverpool, not over/underrated

Paul_Scholes18

Underrated here no doubt. I think he goes under the radar mainly doing things helping players around him which most fans rate much lower than guys scoring the goals. Also him playing for Liverpool make people look down on him more I think. Liverpool supporters probably rate him a lot higher.

Hughie77

He is what he is, a player, not a super star, far from it, not a bad player iether, I don't think he would start In any other side bar the one he's in? I don't rate him at all, but there's something there good engine but lacks the quality some cms have

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
They bought Keita and Fabinho last summer. I do not think they planned on him still being in the first 11 this season.