Jordan Henderson: overrated/underrated?

Eric7C

A player is underrated until the point at which everyone agrees he’s underrated, at which point he becomes overrated.

Nobody ever seems to just be rated for what they are...
:lol:
I would give you a like if I could. Mods, do the right thing!
(and one more for me too, please)

Needham

Dined out on slating this waddling spod for years but you have to admit he's got warrior qualities.

Siorac

I don't think Herrera is better than Henderson. Can Herrera play the lone holding midfield role behind several no 10 such as Alli, Lingard and Sterling like Henderson did for England at the world cup? Also, he's been playing the lone holding midfield role for Liverpool for years. He's got better understanding of the game than Herrera who's all about charging all over the pitch. His positioning and movement is also better than Herrera.

The only thing similar between Herrera and Henderson is their defensive game but when it comes to movement, position, ball use, Henderson is better.
I didn't say Herrera was better. I'm saying there is little between them in terms of talent but Henderson has enjoyed better coaching in the last few years and plays in a system that gets the best out of him, unlike our players who are basically sent on the pitch as 11 individuals. And yes, Henderson would be nothing special at United. We'd probably want him gone at this point, as part of the rebuild.

norm87cro

I surley hope Klopp rates him because it is the only downside to their game at the moment. Even we proved it at Old Trafford in that draw we looked more likley winning. They do not have a creative midfielder and I hope it stays that way.

Bearded One

Ballon D' Or contender, this man.

I'm hoping that Klopp would see my post:devil::nervous:

JEredDevil

We need someone like him in our squad. Someone that knows that legs can be used for running instead of dancing

BolehLand

Supports
Valencia
He might not be player of other coaches, but Klopp definitely like him. Klopp always love someone who can: Press, Never stop running, defend well (even Salah and Mane do so), British with strong character on/off the pitch/dressing room, tough.

Of course he is very bad in creating chances, shooting, dribble, key pass, he would not be Scholes, Lampard or Gerrard level but who care as long as Klopp able to fully use his strength.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He's not really rated so can't say he's overrated, but he certainly isn't underrated.

Klopp has this fantastic ability to make average players important members of the team, it was the same with Kuba, Schmelzer and Grosscheutz, none of home were really able to make the team after Klopp left. That's because Klopp puts value in effort and stamina, which are the same set of skills Henderson has. Don't think he'l be given such an important role under a different manager.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Also better on the ball than he gets credit for. Never top class with it, but he has plenty of quality to bring to the team in that regard.

simplyared

Probably 2018-19 is his best ever season. Crowned with the captain's job in a CL-winning side. Going on that he's obviously been undertated by many (mostly utd fans). However he'll probably get overrated now. His success imo is clearly down to Klopp which again highlights the quality of the manager. You could go as far as to say Henderson has been as important for Liverpool as John Terry was for Chelsea. Both managers at their peak recognizing the influence from those players, on and off the field, towards the rest of the team.

We'll See Out There!

As a guy posted above he's been rather underrated this season and last, but now he's the new SlippyG captain fantastic EC lifter he'll be so over rated from now on. Sourness will be raving about him next year I'd bet. One trophy, ok its a nice one to win, but its hardly D. Becks, Nicky Butt etc etc levels of silverware now is it. Doesn't David May have more medals than Henderson? Still nice touch with his Dad at the end.

Nanotron

I hate to say it but he has surprised me this season with his performances. He has tuened into a decent player.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He's one of those players that's not technically all that, but seems to always do the right thing and work hard. Plus it's hard not to like him even though he plays for the scouse cnuts

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
Him and Milner lifting the trophy is logical and natural if you think about it. They perfectly represent the qualities that got us the title - hard work, discipline, fighting spirit and belief, as opposed to technical finesse of Messi for example.

I'm happy for the lad.

Irwin99

Wasn't impressed by his CL final performance but he generally seems a very decent all round player. Their entire midfield is so workmanlike and functional, I actually kind of admire it.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Rated just about right, decent water carrier.

Classical Mechanic

Someone said you could find a bunch of footballers in the bottom half that can do what Henderson did. Was it @11101?

I still find that interesting and hard to disprove.
Like who though, Mark Noble or such like?

I would say that most fans seem to have a non-appreciation of leadership qualities, something which is valued much higher within the game. Obviously it's much more intangible to the average fan as we can only guess on the team psychology behind closed doors.

It is unlikely to be proven though as I doubt Klopp will be signing Noble to test the theory.

Lennon7

Really don't get that. What's not to hate?
He cares about his team, results, working hard and everything else that matters in football. He is a bit of a cnut but Liverpool fans love that side of him too. If he was a better footballer he'd be exactly what we need.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He cares about his team, results, working hard and everything else that matters in football.
So did Gerrard, or Carra and most of the other Liverpool legends. Perhaps it's just different approach — it takes a really special player (and a man) like Xabi Alonso for me to throw away my bias.

Last edited:
I don't think you can overstate the importance of consistent players. For Henderson in particular, even more so, as his consistency is what allows him to be a leader on and off the pitch. He knows he plays close to his maximum regularly, so can comfortably demand the same from his peers.

From that alone, I think he's underrated. Same story with Wijnaldum and Milner.

Lennon7

So did Gerrard, or Carra and most of the other Liverpool legends. Perhaps it's just different approach — it takes a really special player (and a man) like Xabi Alonso for me to throw away my bias.
Aye, that’s why I had to mention who he plays for. As a person though, you can’t knock him.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I recall us all laughing our heads off when Pool signed him and we signed Jones. That worked out well..

Someone said you could find a bunch of footballers in the bottom half that can do what Henderson did. Was it @11101?

I still find that interesting and hard to disprove.
I said half the midfielders in the PL could do what he did, because the system at Liverpool means there is room for players who can put in the work and stick to the task Klopp requires. Any half decent top tier footballer could do it. He sets the team up so the majority play to free up the two or three who make the difference.

Klopp knows he is a limited player, hes benched him a lot this season.

ariveded

He fits in the "Dirk Kuyt" type of players. Hardworking, consistent and strong fitness. Every team wants some players who fit all of those 3 criteria. So LFC are fortunate to have such a "luxury" player.

Mastoness

I think he is rated just as he should be, a player with a limited playing ability who more than compensate that with the iron will and hard and tireless work.

Klopp found the best way for him to work in his system and they both reaped the benefits of that.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Probably 2018-19 is his best ever season. Crowned with the captain's job in a CL-winning side. Going on that he's obviously been undertated by many (mostly utd fans). However he'll probably get overrated now. His success imo is clearly down to Klopp which again highlights the quality of the manager. You could go as far as to say Henderson has been as important for Liverpool as John Terry was for Chelsea. Both managers at their peak recognizing the influence from those players, on and off the field, towards the rest of the team.
I don't agree. If you look at where he was as a box to box midfielder in 13/14 and fast forward five years, he's pretty much playing at the level I'd expect him to. Maybe would have been thinking he could have turned it up another notch if it all came together for him.

He's taken a roundabout way to get there, with some poor form in struggling teams for a while, horrible recurring injuries and some years in the holding role, but if anything Klopp has been slow to get the best out of him.

fastwalker

Jordan Henderson has the great misfortune to follow Steven Gerrard, a genuinely world class player, as Liverpool Captain. Even by itself that has made his situation almost impossible. Add to that the fact that he is a player of limited talent and it is no wonder that he has as many detractors as fans. Henderson is a perfect example of a player who has made a lot out of a little. But in many ways he is an archetypal Klopp player inasmuch as he works hard for the team, bleeds for the shirt and galvanises those around him. In fairness he is exactly the sort of player that we do not have and so desperately need.

Did he deserve to lift the Campions League trophy? Did Wes Morgan deserve to lift the Premier League trophy for Leicester? What does it matter? He did lift it and that is how history will record it.

Nanotron

Like who though, Mark Noble or such like?

I would say that most fans seem to have a non-appreciation of leadership qualities, something which is valued much higher within the game. Obviously it's much more intangible to the average fan as we can only guess on the team psychology behind closed doors.

It is unlikely to be proven though as I doubt Klopp will be signing Noble to test the theory.
Take shelvey for example. Imagine he had hendersons attitude. For all his technical limitations, he isnt bad at anything, just not great at anything either but his attitude is world class. Shelvey shits all over henderson technically but look where he is and look where henderson is. You could probably pick many more players if you looked more at it to prove he is right.

Classical Mechanic

Take shelvey for example. Imagine he had hendersons attitude. For all his technical limitations, he isnt bad at anything, just not great at anything either but his attitude is world class. Shelvey shits all over henderson technically but look where he is and look where henderson is. You could probably pick many more players if you looked more at it to prove he is right.
Nah. I think the poster was claiming that you could put most Premier League midfielders in Liverpool’s side and they do just as good a job as Henderson.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He fits in the "Dirk Kuyt" type of players. Hardworking, consistent and strong fitness. Every team wants some players who fit all of those 3 criteria. So LFC are fortunate to have such a "luxury" player.
Think that’s the best comparison I’ve seen. He’s massively lucked out being their captain though.