Film Jordan Peele's NOPE

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I liked it. Not perfect but better than most of the newer movies I've seen

I didnt quite get the connection between the incident with the kid and the monkey and then his adult self, buying the horses and the later revelation that he was feeding the creature. I guess I can make up my own connection that he likes connections with animals even if others are scared and he misses his monkey friend, with them fist bumping right as he was shot. But the movie didnt make me feel like thats what it is. I'm just grasping at straws after the fact and cant think of anything else
that plot line is about animal cruelty in Hollywood and the child actor was spared because he didn't make eye contact yet exploited animals (feeding horses to work) for profits as an adult, hence why he met his fate from the alien.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I liked it. Not perfect but better than most of the newer movies I've seen

I didnt quite get the connection between the incident with the kid and the monkey and then his adult self, buying the horses and the later revelation that he was feeding the creature. I guess I can make up my own connection that he likes connections with animals even if others are scared and he misses his monkey friend, with them fist bumping right as he was shot. But the movie didnt make me feel like thats what it is. I'm just grasping at straws after the fact and cant think of anything else
For me, it was more a reminder of a cautionary tale, sort of: the monkey lost his shit because of a balloon bursting, if I recall correctly, but more generally it's likely it was under huge pressure and stress having to perform in a TV show, which is not the role of an animal. It lost its shit and killed people because it was being exploited, which ties into the whole idea of exploitation and spectacle at the core of the film. But rather than properly taking the lessons of his fateful survival, he carries on working in the entertainment business, and then when the phenomenon starts, buys horses to sacrifice them to the entity, in view of there again, exploiting it. It basically comes full circle, and he eventually dies a death that could easily have been avoided for him had he really understood the meaning of the childhood traumatic incident he was involved in.

I think there's also a little nod to the fact you shouldn't look the alien in the eye: I think in the flashback when the monkey comes towards him, he only sees him through the fringes of the table cloth, so there's not actual direct eye contact. But this I'm not entirely sure of, I'd have to re-watch.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I also think the shoe balancing like that was like a bad omen that he didn’t understand. He kept it and it brought him more bad luck.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Felt like it missed more than it hit to me. If you didn't know there were supposedly deeper meanings you could easily watch it and think it was a very average but quite fun movie, and even if you do know, it's still probably that.

Woodzy

Just seen this. I somehow remained interested all the way through despite mostly thinking it was nonsense at the same time.

I completely missed any deeper meanings as well tbh. Weird film.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Utter garbage.. its not interesting when someone is trying to be smarter than the audience..it fails every feckin time..

Sylar

Finally seen it. I would rank it number 2 out of the three he's directed.
Get out is still the best. This one I reckon people will either love it or hate it.

It was a good movie with the sci fi element towards it and the design. The underlying theme was well done.

wangyu

That swallowing scene was fantastic!

Overall I’m not sure what to think, it was quite original I guess. Bit I felt I was missing things, I watch movies just for entertainment and it s a Peele film so there was probably a message he tried to bring across and it eluded me.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
1 cup banal social observation
1 cup hot take analogy memes
1/2 cup vague Twilight Zone memory
2 cups unruly dogshit plotting that only gets a pass because it's obscured by the other ingredients
1 kids menu dot to dot

The Jordan Peele formula.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
2 cups unruly dogshit plotting that only gets a pass because it's obscured by the other ingredients
1 kids menu dot to dot

I really loved Get Out. Us was a bit messy but an enjoyable / engaging watch. This one just looks bad - haven’t had any interest in watching it.

Woodzy

I enjoyed all 3 but Get Out is the stand out. This was enjoyable but I preferred Us I think.

Us probably had me thinking the most afterwards though.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Watched this last month and honestly thought it was pretty shite and boring. I've enjoyed his other movies a lot but this was a huge disappointment.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
1 kids menu dot to dot

You're a bit harsh. He's at least trying to do something a bit different with the genre.

Sylar

You're a bit harsh. He's at least trying to do something a bit different with the genre.
Agreed!

I also like how everything came about with this. People saying 'if you want black actors as the main lead why dont you create your own movies'
JP basically saying fine, creating his own movies with a black lead, and then saying hes not going to cast white leads as we have enough movies of that, and people getting offended at JP saying that.

Herman Toothrot

Agreed!

I also like how everything came about with this. People saying 'if you want black actors as the main lead why dont you create your own movies'
JP basically saying fine, creating his own movies with a black lead, and then saying hes not going to cast white leads as we have enough movies of that, and people getting offended at JP saying that.
I really liked it. Probably the weakest of the three, I absolutely love Us and I know a lot of people don't.

It's always amusing when audiences react to films like this and Glass Onion by saying the director was trying to be too clever. I mean, were they? It pretty much is what it is and it's kind of straightforward fun.

Pickle85

I really liked it. Probably the weakest of the three, I absolutely love Us and I know a lot of people don't.

It's always amusing when audiences react to films like this and Glass Onion by saying the director was trying to be too clever. I mean, were they? It pretty much is what it is and it's kind of straightforward fun.
Agreed. I really enjoyed it and find the 'trying to be too clever' points a little strange. It didn't take itself too seriously (though it dealt with some serious themes), was nicely atmospheric and all round fun. I'd definitely watch it again.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Of course I'm being harsh, Cinema has entered a dark age and it's left me bitter and resentful, and the ones left holding the torches are not the leaders we need and they're going to be targeted for not being a strong enough vanguard. If all was rosie in the garden then they wouldn't have to be pedestalled and there would be enough quality and variety.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I also think Us is his best work to date.

Sylar

The funniest thing was Logan Pauls rant not realising the movie is about people like him

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Still has the best character reaction to seeing a couple of aliens in a dark hall/seeing wild creature directly above you.

Superunknown

I loved this film, looking forward to watching it again in a few days as we're going to sub to NowTV. I'm still surprised at just how mixed some of the reactions have been for this and Us. Thought both were excellent.

Wing Attack Plan R

1 kids menu dot to dot

I think the volume of dogshit in his movies is barrel strength; 2 cups wouldn’t get you there.

redcucumber

Get Out is fantastic. Us and Nope were both really disappointing, and Peele produced the Candyman remake which was also flat.

Sylar

Still has the best character reaction to seeing a couple of aliens in a dark hall/seeing wild creature directly above you.
My fav was the "in his car" scene. Is that the one you're talking about?

lsd

The Oracle
He is an amazing story teller is like he is sitting before you going "look over there to your right, remember that " then ten minutes later you are like oh wow yeah.

All his characters too in his films are just perfect for the plot. Nothing is wasted there is no filler

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Finally got round to watching this. Really enjoyed it. Original idea, nicely shot and well acted. Great visual and sound effects Beautiful use of location too. Definitely one of the best movies of its type of the last several years. The flashback scenes to the Tv tragedy were so well done. Scary as feck.

lsd

The Oracle
Finally got round to watching this. Really enjoyed it. Original idea, nicely shot and well acted. Great visual and sound effects Beautiful use of location too. Definitely one of the best movies of its type of the last several years. The flashback scenes to the Tv tragedy were so well done. Scary as feck.

I loved it i think Jordon Peele is a genius. There are times you watch it something happens and you just think oh that's why that scene was shown earlier.

Everything matters in his films

Superunknown

Yessss, another believe in here. I really enjoyed this film and loved it even more the second time around. It's an awesome film. :drool:

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah, exactly. Did you spot the tennis shoe balancing on its heel?

I did but it wasn't until i googled after that i got the meaning.

I knew a lot of it is about animal abuse and not staring eye to eye with animals unsettling them or that's my take anyway.

The scene too where he tells the crowd at the event that in an hour's time they will leave having seen something spectacular that he delivers an hour before the movie ends is brilliant.

Can't wait to see what he does next

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I did but it wasn't until i googled after that i got the meaning.

I knew a lot of it is about animal abuse and not staring eye to eye with animals unsettling them or that's my take anyway.

The scene too where he tells the crowd at the event that in an hour's time they will leave having seen something spectacular that he delivers an hour before the movie ends is brilliant.

Can't wait to see what he does next
No way! Didn’t spot that at all. Class.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
I still think this is one of the worst movies i ever watched. Everything was terrible.. directing, acting, effects.. i repeat myself..when you are thinking that you are more clever than the audience in most cases its the opposite..utter garbage

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I still think this is one of the worst movies i ever watched. Everything was terrible.. directing, acting, effects.. i repeat myself..when you are thinking that you are more clever than the audience in most cases its the opposite..utter garbage
We all have different tastes but the “think you’re more clever” criticism is weird. It’s a very straightforward film. It’s basically just Jaws on a cowboy ranch.

It even has the same ending.

Pickle85

Yeah I don't get all the hate this film got. I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable... tense, silly and funny at times, well shot and just a lot of fun, all in all.

What about the film made you feel the director thought he was cleverer than you?