Jorge Mendes and Wolverhampton Wanderers

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Just saw yesterday that Wolves spent 15.8M pounds on Rúben Neves from FC Porto which seems insane for a second division team. Looked into it a bit more and in the past year they've spent a combined 20M on Ivan Cavaleiro and Hélder Costa, as well Sílvio and João Teixeira having spells at the club. The former Valencia and Porto coach Nuno has also been appointed manager. Of course, all of these names are linked to Jorge Mendes who has a stake in the Chinese company which owns WWFC.

With this kind of outlay, are Wolves going to dominate the Championship or are they overpaying for average players to help line Mendes's pockets? Personally, I'd love to see them back in the Premier League.

worcesterred

My old man is a Wolves supporter, he considers it strange how someone who has knowledge of the Championship was cast aside for someone who doesn't know anything about English football. However, I hope it goes well for them, due to my old man I've a soft spot for them.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
My old man is a Wolves supporter, he considers it strange how someone who has knowledge of the Championship was cast aside for someone who doesn't know anything about English football. However, I hope it goes well for them, due to my old man I've a soft spot for them.
Who, replacing Lambert by Nuno? What has Lambert done that Nuno can't do?

What experience had David Wagner in the Championship? And Steve Bruce, lots of experience for Villa, translated to what?

P.S. I am not Nuno biggest fan, but at least he has Champions League experience, as far I can remember I only remember Lambert playing for Dortmund, Celtic or Scotland, as a coach what has he done last year or in his carrer that others can't do?

wolvored

Nearly all of my extended family from son bro law nephew cousins etc are Wanderers fans, and although there are big changes happening, some are not happy. They say part of the pleasure going to Molineux was to see a local lad do good. Like the Tipton terror, Steve Bull, who is the most famous. When I go which is about 3-4 times a season if my nephew cant go, and i have his ticket, I have to ask bro in law who is who in the warm up. I suppose if they get back up the local thing wont matter so much

TJSF

Supports
Benfica
The Chinese know nothing about football so a shark like Mendes just takes advantage.

worcesterred

What experience had David Wagner in the Championship? And Steve Bruce, lots of experience for Villa, translated to what?

P.S. I am not Nuno biggest fan, but at least he has Champions League experience, as far I can remember I only remember Lambert playing for Dortmund, Celtic or Scotland, as a coach what has he done last year or in his carrer that others can't do?
Lambert has achieved promotion and knows the division. For every David Wagner there's a Walter Zenga. Lets see what happens.

Robbie Boy

Aye, Lambert is a horrendous manager.

Eila

It's amazing how Porto is able to place their absolute flops somewhere in the world. Mendes magic.
And I don't mean Neves. The kid has potential. I mean Boly and Depoitre.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Lambert has achieved promotion and knows the division. For every David Wagner there's a Walter Zenga. Lets see what happens.
Nuno isn't that impressive but he's far better than Lambert as a manager. He had a good stint at Rio Ave where he reached a couple of cup finals and qualified to Europe, got a 4th place with Valência with respective Champions League qualification and managed Porto where he did alright in their CL going out to Juventus after group stages. And what does know the division mean? Carlos Carvalhal didn't knew the division and did better than more experienced managers. If you are competent, you can do a good job in any circunstancies.

worcesterred

Nuno isn't that impressive but he's far better than Lambert as a manager. He had a good stint at Rio Ave where he reached a couple of cup finals and qualified to Europe, got a 4th place with Valência with respective Champions League qualification and managed Porto where he did alright in their CL going out to Juventus after group stages. And what does know the division mean? Carlos Carvalhal didn't knew the division and did better than more experienced managers. If you are competent, you can do a good job in any circunstancies.
I agree that if you're a good manager you can can do well in most circumstances, which is why I say let's wait and see before proclaiming him as the second coming or writing him off ;)

stubie

Few rumours doing the rounds tonight that they have agreed a £10m fee with Bournemouth for former striker Benik Afobe!

Should that go through it will take their spending past £30m!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
They're about to sign Diogo Jota on loan from At. Madrid.
20 yr old Portuguese midfielder who scored 9 goals for Porto last season is now going to Wolves on a season loan. About to be their 4th Portuguese signing this summer.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Wait a second, they singed Ruben Neves from Porto?! Thought he was much sought after, what happened to him?

stubie

20 yr old Portuguese midfielder who scored 9 goals for Porto last season is now going to Wolves on a season loan. About to be their 4th Portuguese signing this summer.
And soon to add Afobe according to reports

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Makes sense as Nuno was the one who signed him on loan for Porto.

They need a good striker. Even then I don't think it'll be enough to get them promoted but looks like they have big aspirations.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Makes sense as Nuno was the one who signed him on loan for Porto.

They need a good striker. Even then I don't think it'll be enough to get them promoted but looks like they have big aspirations.
They're going to sign Afobe who has a good record for them, I think they'll get promoted and then Fosun will get mad in transfer window.

Beobachter

Kind of got a bad feeling about this; this kind of squad overhaul don't seem sustainable or healthy, especially in the grueling marathon that is the Championship. We'll see, I don't know anything about all these new players or Wolves' owner after all.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
After watching their match yesterday against Leicester wich they won 1:0, some notes to take:
  • For the first time in his carrer it looks Nuno is going to play 3/4/3 or 3/5/2, never did it at Rio Ave, Porto or Valencia;
  • if Ruben Neves doesn't have physical problems it will be a joy to watch, the same for Jota;
  • With only 1 month of work they already are playing on a different way than last season;
  • Probably they will try to get 1 striker;
  • Cavaleiro still has the same problems since he played in Benfica youth teams, relies too much on phisycality and poor decision making;
  • When Helder Costa returns and if he can reply the same level as last season don't see no reason for them to not fight at least for the playoffs
  • Finally, Leicester looked a team without creativity and no ideas, better for them try something different, or else they will fight for relegation.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

Just because you know the Champions League that doesn't mean you know everything. It's a big step back for him.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Kind of got a bad feeling about this; this kind of squad overhaul don't seem sustainable or healthy, especially in the grueling marathon that is the Championship.
I remember when Harry Redknapp walked the Championship with almost a completely new squad at Portsmouth. Didn't Rafa do something similar with Newcastle last year too?

It's not really that hard of a league if you have much better players than the opposition.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I remember when Harry Redknapp walked the Championship with almost a completely new squad at Portsmouth. Didn't Rafa do something similar with Newcastle last year too?

It's not really that hard of a league if you have much better players than the opposition.
But they knew the league better than Nuno. If you put Messi at Wolverhampton he is gonna be shit.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Just because you know the Champions League that doesn't mean you know everything. It's a big step back for him.
And just because you never coached in the Championship doesn't mean you don't know nothing, that conversation of "doesn't know this league" or "Premier League proven player" is a load of crap, what matters in the end is the quality.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Too soon to call, atm they won 2 matches and for the first time in his carrer Nuno is playing in a system with 3 at the back.

IWat

What i meant is that you don't win the Championship with the best players, but with the players who suit this league.
Do you seriously think that Messi wouldn't walk into the Championship and score 40+ league goals? That's a huge help if you want the league.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I just saw Conor Ronan played, hope he gets some decent time. Remember seeing him at the u17 WC or Euros and being impressed. Impressive he is even getting any time with their big signings.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Do you seriously think that Messi wouldn't walk into the Championship and score 40+ league goals? That's a huge help if you want the league.
No, he would help a lot, but he would struggle in a very physical league.