g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jorge Mendes and Wolverhampton Wanderers

VanHaal'sRedArmy

The Chinese know nothing about football so a shark like Mendes just takes advantage.
No, I disagree. This is part of a more carefully planned move by Chinese tycoons to buy up English clubs. Southampton, Birmingham, West Brom, Aston Villa, Wolverhampton, are all majority Chinese-owned and ManCity are minority-owned by a Chinese media group.

Vinnie Peetang

Mendes parked his top-league players in Wolves to flog them to the highest bidder. Once they are sold, Wolves will immediately drop back to the Championship. Good deal for Wolves, I guess, getting a lot of money for 1 season.

JoaquinJoaquin

Mendes parked his top-league players in Wolves to flog them to the highest bidder. Once they are sold, Wolves will immediately drop back to the Championship. Good deal for Wolves, I guess, getting a lot of money for 1 season.
I think with Neves people will wait to see how he performs in the Premier League before buying him. So I expect him there next season.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
If the players he represented sucked, clubs wouldn't continue to knock at his door. He had done a good management of his players career to be honest.

Most of his players/managers publically claim that he's an excellent agent and he makes their life easier, and he invests their money in decently profitable business/interests so they can have some income source after retiring.

But concerning Wolves:

Neves was stalled at Porto, since Danilo is a better overall defensive midfielder than him, Jota was quite irregular last season and Cavaleiro was not getting enough game time.
I think this moves were good for both club and players, even if it was just for a couple of seasons, which is quite normal in a club like Wolves.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I think there is some confusion here, Jorge Mendes is a football agent, he doesn't own Wolves, they are financially backed by Fosun https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosun_International doesn't look to me he simply can tell them "we are going to sell this players by a bag of peanuts",he has a partnership with them, he will not annoy them.

They simply aren't going to sell their best players and go back to the Championship, they have financial resources behind them, unless they are completely incompetent like Peter Lim at Valencia, only this season under Marcelino they recovered their normal level, after 2 or 3 years of pure incompetence.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So they've just signed Rui Patricio... Another player that could be at a higher team.
I don't really get whats going on here.

Signing players for way under their market values, the same players that wouldn't want to play for Wolves at the time of signing...

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So they've just signed Rui Patricio... Another player that could be at a higher team.

Signing players for way under their market values, the same players that wouldn't want to play for Wolves at the time of signing...
Jorge Mendes.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Yeah I get that, but what does he gain from this, and Porto for example, selling Neves very cheaply.... What did they benefit out of it

Imagine us selling Pogba for 40m just because Ribalta decided

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
In the case of Patricio, isn't he one of the players who asked for their release from Sporting ? Sporting are in an extremely weak negotiating position right now, any club can turn around and low ball them with an offer because of they don't accept the player can legally ask for his release owing to that fan attack.

At least, that is my understanding of it.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Wolves becoming a farm team for Mendes' up-and-coming clients. I guess it'll help them stay up in the league in exchange for handsomely rewarding both him and his players when they inevitably move on.

wolvored

Wolves becoming a farm team for Mendes' up-and-coming clients. I guess it'll help them stay up in the league in exchange for handsomely rewarding both him and his players when they inevitably move on.
According to the chinese owner he wants the Wanderers to become a big team so maybe not a farm club

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Patricia is probably earning far more than he did at Sporting.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
Valencia - Atletico - Monaco - benfica - porto - Rio Ave maybe I'm forgetting some clubs, a big money carroussel with Mendes involved. I think it is getting money outside of football to their accounts.

Basso

Did Rio sign on a free transfer?
If so, surely a legal battle awaits before he is cleared to play

Precaution

Probably all have a large selling on fee included in their contracts / part of the deal, sell cheap... perform well, sell big > profit.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Did Rio sign on a free transfer?
If so, surely a legal battle awaits before he is cleared to play
Worst case it will go to arbitration and Wolves may need to pay the 18M transfer fee.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Worst case it will go to arbitration and Wolves may need to pay the 18M transfer fee.
Yep, which will still be a bargain or a fair price for someone such as Patricio who's quality. Wolves are in a win-win position.

I imagine all the Wolves fan are currently on the moon regarding him, not many teams in the PL have a goalkeeper of the quality of Patricio or someone like Neves in midfield.

Eila

Good stuff from Wolverhampton. Wonder if they'll get any more Porto boys, or another of the Sporting players that rescinded their contracts.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This Mendes fella seems like a very sophisticated businessman. Could learn a few tricks from the guy.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

30 year old keeper that's moving for the first time abroad and joining the Premier League. Nothing bad about that.

They already have John Ruddy who is a decent keeper but Patricio is an upgrade.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
30 year old keeper that's moving for the first time abroad and joining the Premier League. Nothing bad about that.

They already have John Ruddy who is a decent keeper but Patricio is an upgrade.
Patricio could have gone to Liverpool, Arsenal and a few other teams.
He's going to Wolves due to Mendes.

Not saying it's a bad move, but he could aim a lot higher, just things happening behind the scenes.
It's like the Neves deal, he move quite cheaply, and to a Championship side. Would he have gone to Villa, Preston etc.

Mendes has something in this, no idea what, but it'll make him a lot of money :lol:

Big Chomp

Not saying it's a bad move, but he could aim a lot higher, just things happening behind the scenes.
It's like the Neves deal, he move quite cheaply, and to a Championship side. Would he have gone to Villa, Preston etc.

Mendes has something in this, no idea what, but it'll make him a lot of money :lol:
He's not a very good keeper.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

You have no idea about that. Arsenal signed another keeper today who's a lot younger. Who knows what Liverpool are doing. Everything is pure speculation.

PL is a much bigger stage than the Portugal and every club in the middle or relegation battle can be a stepping stone.

Eila

You have no idea about that. Arsenal signed another keeper today who's a lot younger. Who knows what Liverpool are doing. Everything is pure speculation.

PL is a much bigger stage than the Portugal and every club in the middle or relegation battle can be a stepping stone.
Leno is super shaky, I'm amazed they went for him.

DanWWFC

Supports
Wolves
Just signed up having read a bit of this thread.

There’s a fair bit of misconception here with regards to our signings. Neves we got for £14mil because Porto were failing FFP on the verge of being banned from Europe and we were the only team who tied up the bid on time.

Patricio, it was only us and Napoli who bid, they pulled out after agreeing a deal and we chased him. Offered him a contract, said we’d pay any legal fees etc. Mendes would’ve had a bit of involvement in both of these signings but we’ve Chinese owners with huge ambitions which all of our signings allure to. While a few posts about Chinese owners not knowing much, ours have built a great rapport with the fans, had a huge clear out made some mistakes but got us ties with a super agent in turn getting us quality players and a manager.

Our players will go nowhere unless we want them to, Mendes does not control our club he wanted us to wait to sign Patricio until the Lisbon president resigned so he could get his money owed we went ahead and signed him on a free.

Looking forward to this season going to the game at Old Trafford with a few United fans if we can get tickets!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KM

Steven7290

There’s a fair bit of misconception here with regards to our signings. Neves we got for £14mil because Porto were failing FFP on the verge of being banned from Europe and we were the only team who tied up the bid on time.

Patricio, it was only us and Napoli who bid, they pulled out after agreeing a deal and we chased him. Offered him a contract, said we’d pay any legal fees etc. Mendes would’ve had a bit of involvement in both of these signings but we’ve Chinese owners with huge ambitions which all of our signings allure to. While a few posts about Chinese owners not knowing much, ours have built a great rapport with the fans, had a huge clear out made some mistakes but got us ties with a super agent in turn getting us quality players and a manager.

Our players will go nowhere unless we want them to, Mendes does not control our club he wanted us to wait to sign Patricio until the Lisbon president resigned so he could get his money owed we went ahead and signed him on a free.

Looking forward to this season going to the game at Old Trafford with a few United fans if we can get tickets!
Does he not though? Down the line when a potential money making machine of his stop performing, is he going to be okay with the coach freezing out the player and him losing a ton of money for it? Is he going to put pressure on whoever their manager would be to buy/sell/play his players according to his interests as it seems like he would be the one controlling the dressing room.

NYAS

Seems a bit naive to me. I don’t think you’ll be under that impression in a couple of years.

DanWWFC

Supports
Wolves
Could well be naive. But in a few years we’ve went from loaning the likes of Grant Holt and Sagbo, to signing Jota, Neves and Patricio. I’ll take the naivety than being held up in the championship almost going bust like Villa or mid table obscurity like Ipswich. You’d get no complaints from any Wolves fan, people said the same about Chelsea and City worked out for them.

People overestimate Mendes’ power. We’ll of course sell our stars over time but most teams do, Liverpool constantly do so.

Ekeke

Patricio probably just thinks they'll do well and he can have a year showing how he can do in the premier league, with some kind of assurances that if a big club wants to sign him he can go

Green_Red

I guess if you can get into the premier league and maintain it by spending 30% of your income then youd stand to make a lot of money over a 10 year period. Has anyone ever done the maths? The TV revenue is insane alone.

DanWWFC

Supports
Wolves
Doesn’t what you’ve said apply to every agent? If their player stops performing and gets benched it’s their job to move him on. I could understand if you’re saying we had to move on a top performer solely because of him. But we can’t kid ourselves we’re Wolves, players like Neves will leave if we don’t continue to grow as there’s plenty of big teams and that won’t be down solely to Mendes. I think it’s a good model bringing in youngsters and moving them on for profit.

As for controlling the dressing room. We’ve 6 Mendes clients, two are subs and ones only signed. People really overestimate his influences. Time will tell if it goes well or not but it’s exciting times as a Wolves fan.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They are going to be dreamy for fantasy football next year. They will be well under priced.

On a serious note, they will do seriously well next season, I reckon. They’d give us a good game and gave city a good one when they were in the champ. I’m glad they’ve replaced ruddy, he’s so average.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That's an excellent deal

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I hope they get relegated.