Jorge Mendes and Wolverhampton Wanderers

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You won’t be laughing when you see him play.

Been following him since U18 level and he’s an all round striker and has been lethal at youth level.

This is exactly the kind of player I’d expect Real Madrid to come in for in 2 years time.
I watched a fair bit of Porto after the restart and can't recall if I ever saw him play, was Moussa Marega upfront and someone else. When they signed Ruben Neves and Jota they had much more top level experience.

He is very very young. Patrick Cutrone was a little bit older and he didn't last long at Wolves

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I watched a fair bit of Porto after the restart and can't recall if I ever saw him play, was Moussa Marega upfront and someone else. When they signed Ruben Neves and Jota they had much more top level experience.

He is very very young. Patrick Cutrone was a little bit older and he didn't last long at Wolves
He's much better, with a far greater ceiling that Cutrone.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
“Supports Aston Villa” comment makes sense.

He’s so highly rated we’ve been scouting him since he was 16. Portugal have such high hopes for him, so pleased he’s at Wolves.
Not really. I've been very impressed with the signings you've made in last few years, we're certainly crying out for a Joao Moutinho at base of our midfield. Pretty clear why you're comfortably ahead of us in the league.

Couldn't find the Wolves thread until it got bumped just now but this is what I said about you in there:

[QUOTE
Big season for Wolves. Feels like they're a bit like we were in 09/10. We missed out on top 4 that season and then lost Young, Downing, Milner and O'Neill all within the next two years.

Not saying Wolves are going to collapse like we did but I can see a few of their squad moving on next summer if you don't get europe again. And Nuno might decide to go somewhere else as he'll have offers.

Actually did well this season to be around top 6 for most of the season considering you had a poor start (1 win in first 8 games) and the never ending europa league run which won't be a problem this season.

There's still a chance you could do better next season. Leicester will surely dip a bit, Arsenal remain unproven trying to get top 4 and I think Spurs are pretty vulnerable in areas of their side so not convinced at all they'll better last season's 6th place. Just takes one of top 4 this season to get a few injuries and dodgy result and you're in.
][/QUOTE]

Just find it odd you've spent a huge amount of your budget on an untest young kid. Didn't you sign a young highly rated Spanish striker during your promotion season?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's much better, with a far greater ceiling that Cutrone.
Cutrone was still scoring goals at one stage for AC Milan and getting Italy caps. He moved to Wolves at 21 after a couple of years in Serie A.

My guy instinct is he's moved away from Portugal far too young.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Does seem to be a jealous Midlands vibe to it.

This is the kind of signing Villa could only dream of. Instead they’ve got probably the most useless ST in the league.
We signed Adama Traore when he was 18/19 from Barca B for 15m so that was probably similar to this deal. Adama was very quick like now but his game was so raw, had no idea how to track back and tuck in and help the full back and his dribbles would mostly end up in dead ends.

Still could see the talent but it took him two and a half years to really get to grips with English football and it actually helped his all round game working with a defensive minded manager like Pulis.

Now five years on he's a far more rounded player.

What does help is Wolves have one of the best CFs in the premier league so I imagine they'll ease this kid in very gently with minutes here and there off the bench while he adapts on and off the pitch.

stubie

Cutrone was still scoring goals at one stage for AC Milan and getting Italy caps. He moved to Wolves at 21 after a couple of years in Serie A.

Vinarge moved to Wolves at the same age I believe

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Vinarge moved to Wolves at the same age I believe
Two years on remains a back up to Jonny Castro although will get plenty more starts given Jonny did his ACL in europa.

Just looking through Wolves transfers and this is who I was thinking of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafa_Mir

The following season, Mir excelled in the UEFA Youth League, scoring consecutive braces in victories over K.A.A. Gent
5 in 10 for Spanish under 21s aswell which got Wolves interest but hasn't progressed since although his goal record for Huesca in Segunda was good last season. Someone Wolves will probably sell on now.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

Mason Greenwood was ready for first-team football at United at 18, I personally think SIlva has as much potential as Mason.

Comparing him to Cutrone is a bit insulting to him I think. He's a much better player at his age IMO.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You'd have loved a striker with that record last season
As bad as Wesley was last season he actually got 6 goals in 18 games before he got clobbered at Burnley on NYD. All round not great though.

Would be happy with Calum WIlson and Watkins this summer although we're probably going to have to pay 40m + to get both such is the inflation for domestic fees. Also liked with Edouard of Celtic but they want 40m apparently as got a big sell on fee to PSG.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As bad as Wesley was last season he actually got 6 goals in 18 games before he got clobbered at Burnley on NYD. All round not great though.

Would be happy with Calum WIlson and Watkins this summer although we're probably going to have to pay 40m + to get both such is the inflation for domestic fees. Also liked with Edouard of Celtic but they want 40m apparently as got a big sell on fee to PSG.
You certainly need a big beef up.
Couldn't believe you were starting that Davis kid up front.

Although you getting those two totally kills even getting Davis as a playing 4.5m fantasy player!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You certainly need a big beef up.
Couldn't believe you were starting that Davis kid up front.

Although you getting those two totally kills even getting Davis as a playing 4.5m fantasy player!
Word is he'll be loaned out to a championship club once we actually get round to signing some players, Preston rumoured.

He badly needs a loan. He's actually decent at unsettling defenders and creating space for Grealish but that miss when through v Arsenal sums up his lack of finishing ability.

DanWWFC

Supports
Wolves
Rafa Mir was no where near as highly rated. He was similar to what Chelsea have done with signings, young player with potential loaned out and going to be sold on for profit. We spent 1.5m or so on Mir and then sent him off on loan.

We’re doing similar with other buys now Jordao, Shabini etc. A way to make some money

Vinagre has played in some huge games for us too, City Liverpool this season alone. He’s still young and will get games. Especially if Jonny when back from injury moves to the right now that Doherty is gone

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Word is he'll be loaned out to a championship club once we actually get round to signing some players, Preston rumoured.

He badly needs a loan. He's actually decent at unsettling defenders and creating space for Grealish but that miss when through v Arsenal sums up his lack of finishing ability.
As long as it's not to us at Wycombe as i gave a fellow fan such stick..how can a guy starting in the premier league go to us on loan etc :)

But Preston is ok!

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
And the carrousel keeps moving on. There’s no relevant or promising player in Portugal who can play in top leagues without him. Football authorities look quite liberal regarding this financial transactions. The show must go on I guess...

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
:lol: Calm down, fella. This Silva might turn out to be good but it’s entirely reasonable to question spending 40m euros on an 18 year old who started 1 game for Porto last season.
It’s a high fee but he’s a very good youth prospect and one of the best young STs around. I wouldn’t spend €40m on him just yet when he’s probably worth closer to £20m given his lack of experience but everything is there in his game to be a world class striker one day.

Now up to Wolves to help make that happen.
Well, Adama will make sure of that :lol: :lol:
:lol:

He’s far better than Cutrone all round and especially for his age too.

I’d be more surprised if he didn’t turn into a good striker than if he was to fail big time.

Not worth €40m now but give him one season to develop and set him loose next year and I think people will realise why they paid so much.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
The Mendes carousel Wolves <-> Porto is restarting:

<- Fábio Silva 40 M€
<- Vítor Ferreira loan with mandatory buyout clause of 20 M€
-> Vinagre to Porto, maybe as loan with mandatory buyout clause as well

Now it makes sense the price of Fábio Silva, it's just an upfront value for the other businesses

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised they've let Vinagre go with Jonny's injury.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Telles coming in aswell, pretty sure he was linked to Chelsea a while back so that's probably an upgrade on their options last season.

Edit: Just put his name in google and it's all Man. United links.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Vitinha is one of the most talented from the generation that won the youth league.

Real shame what Mendes and our management is doing to our club. Promising youngsters that don't even have time to feature in the main team but are sold to get on the Mendes train.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Incredible how he does this and has no scrutiny. Biggest cancer in football. Wolves fans beware of what you wish for. Check what him and Lim did to Valencia.

Infestissumam

what is Portos reasoning for all of this? Is their financial situation that dire?

real shame that Mendes can do what he wants it seems.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They just signed a left back from Lyon and they want Telles now? I find it weird, I doubt it’s even true. I also find it very bold move from Wolves to spend 40m euro on a very young and lack of experience in professional football striker in this corona year especially they failed to get European football. They are making it like they have more money than Arsenal in transfer budget now.

Caesar2290

Adrian from Rabona TV did a deep dive into the Mendes-Wolves connection. Worth a watch!

stubie

They just signed a left back from Lyon and they want Telles now? I find it weird, I doubt it’s even true. I also find it very bold move from Wolves to spend 40m euro on a very young and lack of experience in professional football striker in this corona year especially they failed to get European football. They are making it like they have more money than Arsenal in transfer budget now.
They got over £50m for the sales of Cavalerio, Costa and Doherty not to mention money from UEFA and the PL.

I think some people underestimate how rich Fosun are.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They got over £50m for the sales of Cavalerio, Costa and Doherty not to mention money from UEFA and the PL.

I think some people underestimate how rich Fosun are.
Those 3 were about 47m euro not even pounds. 12m + 18m + 17m

I don’t know how rich he is but if they have lot of money to spend this summer then go for it.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
What do people in Portugal think of Mendes?
Lots of people despise him, there was a point where he was practically the one deciding who got called up for the national team. He’s used some clubs and destroyed players’ careers for personal gain, most agents do that but not to the scale he does it.

He was also at the heart of the players and managers’ tax problems in Spain in the past few years with pretty much every client of his getting a sentence for it.

As for these deals, the Fabio Silva transfer is completely bonkers, there have been so many Portuguese forwards who showed a lot of promise at youth level and most of them didn’t even become good enough to play in the first division. Nelson Oliveira, Zé Golo, Rui Pedro, etc. He won’t get any game time at Wolves because he’s simply not ready for it and he won’t evolve further because of it.

The Vitinha deal is great for Wolves though, he’s class. As is Telles but Porto fans would be delighted to get Vinagre in return

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
what is Portos reasoning for all of this? Is their financial situation that dire?

real shame that Mendes can do what he wants it seems.
Very dire. We are paying for what the management have been doing to the club in the last decade. They are old and expired but still won the elections.

Mendes is not the main issue here. He's just saving our asses by selling the only players that have a significant market value. It happens to be Wolverhampton for several reasons, they have money, an attractive league, Portuguese manager and squad and they are in Mendes train.

We are under the uefa fair play sanctions. Years and years of shady transfers in which the president's son would get absurd commissions got us to this point. Even in this pre-season we did it again! We are selling our promising youngsters while the established players run down their contracts to leave on a free. Then we replace them with dross that end up in the B team or loaned out just so the President's son and friends get rich.

The club has been run exactly the opposite how it should be.

I fear Esteves is next, imo the most talented of his generation, without even being a starter for his club!

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Those 3 were about 47m euro not even pounds. 12m + 18m + 17m

I don’t know how rich he is but if they have lot of money to spend this summer then go for it.
20m each for Costa and cavaliero - 15m with 5m add on for promotion
16m for cutrone
15m for Doherty

Eggberto

No agent should be able to represent players and managers, let alone be involved in the transfer of a player to a club that has a manager he also represents.
It’s a huge conflict of interest that would not be allowed in any other professional walk of life.
fifa/uefa should ban/regulate this, as the clubs clearly Cannot self regulate.
Case in point, Matt Doherty, transfer recently, Mendez agency represents the player and both managers.

Reactions: Sultan

SambaBoy

Probably a low risk transfer from Wolves' perspective. They get a young, very promising striker who if he fulfills his potential will be up there in the PL and can reap the rewards in terms of performance and future sell on. If he underwhelms, I'm sure he will move to Spain for £30m with not a massive loss for Wolves.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
What do people in Portugal think of Mendes?
He's also hated by Benfica fans, just to be clear. He's one of the reasons for the OUTubro movement in Benfica Next elections.
In fact, we even invented a currency for transfers involving Mendes and we say the player was sold for 15 Mendilhões (Mendillions)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is just fecked up.