Jorginho | Arsenal player

Kostov

He was never really as good as the hype suggested in the beginning. Safe pass after another 95% of the time, with not much in addition. The best thing in this fiasco would be if they actually sell Kante to accommodate this guy, and we nick him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If a player is being pressed it opens up spaces elsewhere. The other players need to help him. No one says anything about what Kovacic is doing, they also keep banging on about Kante not playing as the deepest player.
I sympathize with him but he has to have some competency in beating the press. He has shown no capacity to handle it. You can't lay all the blame on the people beside him. He has to compete.

haram

I sympathize with him but he has to have some competency in beating the press. He has shown no capacity to handle it. You can't lay all the blame on the people beside him. He has to compete.
He has proven he can play in that position before. Take him out of his comfort zone and I'm sure you will see his deficiencies and faults, but the other players need to take responsibility as well. If you can press one player and stop Chelsea, then surely the Chelsea players themselves should know that this player needs help?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Jorginho will not make it in the PL. Sarri has posters of Guardiola in his room who only considered Jorginho as back-up for Fernandinho. The two best DMs in the league for several years have been Fernandinho and Matic, both are extremely physical with a bit of passing about them. They aren't registas.

Skills

Snitch
Jorginho will not make it in the PL. Sarri has posters of Guardiola in his room who only considered Jorginho as back-up for Fernandinho. The two best DMs in the league for several years have been Fernandinho and Matic, both are extremely physical with a bit of passing about them. They aren't registas.
Fernandinho is a fantastic passer IMO. He killed Liverpool last month with his diagonals into the channels.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Fernandinho is a fantastic passer IMO. He killed Liverpool last month with his diagonals into the channels.
He's not making passes that any top player wouldn't make. De Bruyne on the other hand makes passes that shouldn't be allowed, Pogba makes passes that are inconceivable. The PL has never had time for a regista, because there is greater emphasis on work rate over positioning, which means the 1st midfielder is pressed which leaves the 2nd midfielder open to find a pass.

Dante

Average bang
It's the Carrick, Scholes, Fabregas, Xabi Alonso role.

You know... players that couldn't make it in English football.

cyberman

He has proven he can play in that position before. Take him out of his comfort zone and I'm sure you will see his deficiencies and faults, but the other players need to take responsibility as well. If you can press one player and stop Chelsea, then surely the Chelsea players themselves should know that this player needs help?
But again, lack of possession isn't their problem. Jorginho finds his passes most of the time and Chelsea always seem to have the majority of possession during the games that they drop points in.
Isn't he still top of the passes completed list?
He has his options but he loses the ball to the press more freely than his teammates.
The games just too fast for him. He may have done well in Italy but its a different culture in England.

Brightonian

It's the Carrick, Scholes, Fabregas, Xabi Alonso role.

You know... players that couldn't make it in English football.
The difference is, that's how good you have to be to make the role work in the PL. English sides are generally not set up to make it workable and the pace of the football here makes it a bigger ask. Normally you're either the team controlling possession, in which case your midfield holds the ball and makes the decisions from higher up the pitch, or you're the team not controlling possession in which case that deep-sitting guy is more of a counter-attack-starter - like Drinkwater at Leicester in 15/16 or Neves at Wolves this season - than a proper regista. There's no time to take a breath and construct an attack which will unfold from one end of the pitch to the other the way a classic Serie A side does.

Jorginho is no Scholes or Alonso, and that's why it's not working. Nor is Fernandinho, incidentally, but that's not what City's system asks of him which is why he is shining.

Dante

Average bang
The difference is, that's how good you have to be to make the role work in the PL. English sides are generally not set up to make it workable and the pace of the football here makes it a bigger ask. Normally you're either the team controlling possession, in which case your midfield holds the ball and makes the decisions from higher up the pitch, or you're the team not controlling possession in which case that deep-sitting guy is more of a counter-attack-starter - like Drinkwater at Leicester in 15/16 or Neves at Wolves this season - than a proper regista. There's no time to take a breath and construct an attack which will unfold from one end of the pitch to the other the way a classic Serie A side does.

Jorginho is no Scholes or Alonso, and that's why it's not working. Nor is Fernandinho, incidentally, but that's not what City's system asks of him which is why he is shining.
English sides are mostly setup by foreign coaches and field foreign players. It's an easy excuse.

Needham

His tracking back :lol:

The feigned lunging effort at a more powerful run around 8 seconds in is an old Sunday morning football "I'm tryin! I'm tryin!" trick. Perhaps the gloves had him genuinely overheated. Hope so, otherwise people might question his 18 thousand pounds a day income.

TsuWave

the streets in Chelsea are saying the “inho” is now confiscated and he goes by “George” now

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Question of the system respectively it's executiob IMO. Pressing in England isn't more intense than in Spain or Germany and there you'll find worse players successfully filling that role.

Alonso exemplarily wasn't press resistant at all. Was the weak spot when Dortmund played Madrid, he was completely overwhelmed. Yet he had jo problem playing in Liverpool or later in a Guardiola side.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s played in a Kante role with a team that already has Kante...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The more he plays and the more I realize that Allan and Hamsik were carrying his ass. He's fecking trash :lol:
Don't think that's fair. A lot of the issues he's having at Chelsea come down to Sarri not doing what's right by the player or the team. That inflexibility of Sarri is making it easier and easier to target Jorginho and his very obvious weaknesses, which literally every team in the country are now completely exploiting with no adjustment or adaptation from Sarri.

If you're going to utilise such a player, at least give him optimal conditions and not sit and pray he'll suddenly turn into an all-running, hustling, bustling midfielder who can fend off swathes of attacks and presses by himself. He's the antithesis of those things and it's killing his already fragile confidence.

I thought yesterday: 'thank you Sarri' as he is the gift that keeps on giving... to the opposition - he is continually sabotaging his own players with regard to how he is setting the team up.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Don't think that's fair. A lot of the issues he's having at Chelsea come down to Sarri not doing what's right by the player or the team. That inflexibility of Sarri is making it easier and easier to target Jorginho and his very obvious weaknesses, which literally every team in the country are now completely exploiting with no adjustment or adaptation from Sarri.

If you're going to utilise such a player, at least give him optimal conditions and not sit and pray he'll suddenly turn into an all-running, hustling, bustling midfielder who can fend off swathes of attacks and presses by himself. He's the antithesis of those things and it's killing his already fragile confidence.

I thought yesterday: 'thank you Sarri' as he is the gift that keeps on giving... to the opposition - he is continually sabotaging his own players with regard to how he is setting the team up.
Yeah. It does look like Sarri is very reluctant to change. So early in his managerial time at Chelsea and he is already saying I'm not changing, you all have to change. From the outside looking in, it does seem like he is doing what Mourinho sort of did with us this season. I mean, he has a lot of good players at Chelsea, probably some of them better than what he had at Napoli, but he want them to be his old team and they are not. Fine they have some trouble but I don't understand why he wont try to change a few things at least, that has to be worrying.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

What are those optimal conditions ? At the moment Jorginho is trying to play like he did at Napoli but it's not working because the Chelsea team isn't built for that alright but his individual performance stinks so much that you have to wonder how good he was to begin with. It'll be hard for me to be convinced that Jorginho wasn't being carried. He cannot keep the ball when pressed, cannot create any good openings with his passing never mind goalscoring chances.

I'm amazed how uncomfortable he looks receiving the ball under pressure, forget his defensive frailties.

sherrinford

That’s true with regards to the team overall, but not Jorginho specifically. He isn’t being asked to play any sort of ‘all-running, hustling, bustling midfielder’. He is playing holding midfield and has a powerhouse workhorse in Kante and another mobile player in either Kovacic or Barkley for company. He is just struggling.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That’s true with regards to the team overall, but not Jorginho specifically. He isn’t being asked to play any sort of ‘all-running, hustling, bustling midfielder’. He is playing holding midfield and has a powerhouse workhorse in Kante and another mobile player in either Kovacic or Barkley for company. He is just struggling.
Exactly what I meant. His individual performance is shocking

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah. It does look like Sarri is very reluctant to change. So early in his managerial time at Chelsea and he is already saying I'm not changing, you all have to change. From the outside looking in, it does seem like he is doing what Mourinho sort of did with us this season. I mean, he has a lot of good players at Chelsea, probably some of them better than what he had at Napoli, but he want them to be his old team and they are not. Fine they have some trouble but I don't understand why he wont try to change a few things at least, that has to be worrying.
It's making him look like a terrible, inflexible coach if he has no yield or contingency whatsoever. Especially so when he's not getting the best out of a single player at his disposal.

It's easy to pile on Jorginho all season because the same things will keep happening, perhaps even worse as his last dribs of confidence erode, but he's not the one to be pointing the finger at if nothing in the system being played is adjusted.

What are those optimal conditions ? At the moment Jorginho is trying to play like he did at Napoli but it's not working because the Chelsea team isn't built for that alright but his individual performance stinks so much that you have to wonder how good he was to begin with. It'll be hard for me to be convinced that Jorginho wasn't being carried. He cannot keep the ball when pressed, cannot create any good openings with his passing never mind goalscoring chances.
Napoli were a well-oiled machine with so much synergy players knew what to do and when to do it automatically, further, Jorginho and his game, flaws inclusive, was completely catered to and for. All of that has been stripped away, and then you're left with a 'every man for himself ' midfield, which is a slow, immobile and not particularly adroit players' idea of death by a thousand cuts, especially so in England, and even more so when he is being relentlessly targeted.

Sarri is doing everything in his power to destabilise his players and Jorginho, being a terrible athlete as well as poor positionally, is ironically suffering the most of all the players under a manager who brought him to the club in the first place!

Even under optimal conditions being a pure DLP in the PL would be a challenge; under these conditions it's the same as throwing him to the proverbial lions.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What on earth has happened to this guy? Can’t ever recall him being so one dimensional at Napoli and just keeps passing the ball backwards and going nowhere. Doesn’t look like he wants to be there at all.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly what I meant. His individual performance is shocking
He is too weak. When opposition team counters he just can't stop them or catch them. He is a tidy player, that's it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That's on paper; we see those names and come to the conclusion, but in-game Kanté is being asked to play further up the pitch, a distance away from Jorginho, so much so, it's practically asking Jorginho to hold the forte until those ahead of him can get back, and even Kanté is struggling defensively because of that. Kovacic is next to useless defensively and Barkley is not a player you want fire fighting for a myriad of reasons, not least that he's crap at it.

You can't have such a poor athlete isolated like we're seeing Sarri permit; it's footballing suicide given how vital that area of the pitch is.

He should either be taken out of that team or totally catered for, otherwise he's just a liability.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What on earth has happened to this guy? Can’t ever recall him being so one dimensional at Napoli and just keeps passing the ball backwards and going nowhere. Doesn’t look like he wants to be there at all.
Confidence is shot. Which is to be expected.

He's got to think about the consequences to himself for every play potentially breaking down and exposing himself on the counter now, which is just about the worst thing that can happen to a player utterly reliant on his passing as Jorginho is.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mata dominated him physically. That's the most worrying thing.