Jorginho challenge on Grealish

Doracle

If you take it back a few frames his foot wasn't anywhere near Grealish's thigh till he rolled off the ball and Grealish slid in further. He was only going for the ball.
Not the test though. It’s clearly reckless as he’s stretching, goes in studs up and his foot rolls over the top of the ball onto Grealish’s knee. Very clear red card under the current laws.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
A picture says a 1000 words. How anyone can argue against that being a red card is beyond me. This picture here should put an end to this thread...
I agree with you and i can't understand how some people don't see this as a red.

And what about the rolling around on the ground by Jorginho - faking and conning the referee.

Referee was easy fodder for them.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The ref was turd throughout the game and let Italy get away with their underhand play, but that's nothing new in football. That was a tough one. It was definitely at least borderline. He may have touched the ball but can you go in so high and touch the ball and it be allowed? Maybe so.
I actually thought overall the ref was pretty good and kept the game flowing.

Saying that, definitely a red for me.

lsd

The Oracle
Did I miss the should Phillips have been sent off thread when he did the exact same?

Josep Dowling

Isn’t it about endangering the opponent? Jorginho literally stamped on a players knee. Accidental or not it’s still reckless and in the modern game it’s a red card.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
The issue isn't red or no red for me, it's that the Italians were rattled by Grealish and wanted to tame him/get into his head by leaving a mark on him. Only a short while before it happened he'd had two bursts of lateral possession along the Italian 18-yard box - commit and move, show and go - leading to a lay-off to Sterling with the first one which fizzled out (Grealish moved for the return which Sterling didn't opt for), and a pass prodded through to Shaw coming up on the overlap on the left for the second (a la the move that effectively led to both goals against Germany; Shaw was too gassed by that stage to either anticipate the pass or get to it).

crossy1686

career ending

If you take it back a few frames his foot wasn't anywhere near Grealish's thigh till he rolled off the ball and Grealish slid in further. He was only going for the ball.
Yes but his studs are raised, he's not in control of himself and that's proven when he rolls over the ball and stamps on Grealish. And it doesn't matter if you don't mean to do something, it can still be a red if you accidentally kick someone in the chest, ala Nani

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Blatant red.
The stupid thing is I don’t believe VAR were allowed to review it because the ref had already given a yellow card for it. If ref gives a yellow it can’t be reviewed by VaR.
Is that the rule, really? I'm sure I've seen yellows asked to be reviewed in favour of reds this season.

Jev

I expected VAR to review it and the ref to give a red when I saw it.

To be honest I'm happy they didn't and not only because I was rooting for Italy. I think the game is on a slippery slope with the red cards being given for these tackles that look ugly but weren't actually malicious. This wasn't a mean-spirited game and to give England such a big advantage because Jorginho was unlucky with how his foot rolled (granted, he took a risk going in with the studs and could have had no complaints if it had been a red), would have just seemed disproportionate.

Inigo Montoya

The issue isn't red or no red for me, it's that the Italians were rattled by Grealish and wanted to tame him/get into his head by leaving a mark on him. Only a short while before it happened he'd had two bursts of lateral possession along the Italian 18-yard box - commit and move, show and go - leading to a lay-off to Sterling with the first one which fizzled out (Grealish moved for the return which Sterling didn't opt for), and a pass prodded through to Shaw coming up on the overlap on the left for the second (a la the move that effectively led to both goals against Germany; Shaw was too gassed by that stage to either anticipate the pass or get to it).
The biggest travesty was that he wasn't on 20minutes earlier when Mount was clearly being rather dull

Catania

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
Catania
Italy were ruthless and deserved to see red cards.

If Chiellini (and his violent tug on Saka), and those yellow cards is what a 'winner' looks like then let them have it.

If this is what it takes to win then at least England lost with dignity.
Dignity? You kidding me? The whole world agrees on that you got zero dignity, why do you think the everyone was cheering for italy?
Talking about dignity after that penalty against Denmark....

Wouldn't been that upset if Jorghino got a red card for that challenge, it lookt like it could go either way, yellow or red.

Happy that we won, and the win gets even better when I read posts like this.

In the modern game it's a red card more often that not.

Personally the Chiellini pull down of Saka was worse, just because of how cynical it was.

Though the ref had a good game overall though.

Inigo Montoya

I expected VAR to review it and the ref to give a red when I saw it.

To be honest I'm happy they didn't and not only because I was rooting for Italy. I think the game is on a slippery slope with the red cards giving for these tackles that look ugly but weren't actually malicious. This wasn't a mean-spirited game and to give England such a big advantage because Jorginho was unlucky with how his foot rolled (granted, he took a risk going in with the studs and could have had no complaints if it had been a red), would have just seemed disproportionate.
A rash challenge is a rash challenge whether it's accidental or not. If he'd caught him on his ACL and sidelined him for months, I doubt if the 'unlucky' would hold any water

Jev

A rash challenge is a rash challenge whether it's accidental or not. If he'd caught him on his ACL and sidelined him for months, I doubt if the 'unlucky' would hold any water
Again, I don't think he could have complained if he had been sent off and with some of the red cards we've seen even this tournament (which I've also disagreed with), it's probably a red in modern football. I maintain, though, that you can potentially break your opponent's leg without breaking any rules, and I'd much rather see cynical, intentional or malicious fouls punished than this kind.

Inigo Montoya

Again, I don't think he could have complained if he had been sent off and with some of the red cards we've seen even this tournament (which I've also disagreed with), it's probably a red in modern football. I maintain, though, that you can potentially break your opponent's leg without breaking any rules, and I'd much rather see cynical, intentional or malicious fouls punished than this kind.
It was rash, risky and unnecessary given the moment in the game. The intent was there to win the ball at all costs and it was high risk.

Red all day long

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Did I miss the should Phillips have been sent off thread when he did the exact same?
Let the ostriches keep their collective heads in the sand. They've ignored a few posts mentioning Phillips, doesn't fit the narrative. Rice should have been sent off, and if Jorginho is a red so was Phillips, which was given a yellow just like Jorginho.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Let the ostriches keep their collective heads in the sand. They've ignored a few posts mentioning Phillips, doesn't fit the narrative. Rice should have been sent off, and if Jorginho is a red so was Phillips, which was given a yellow just like Jorginho.
The fans have gone soft, I tells ya! Everything's a red nowadays.

Revan

Assumptionman
Thought that it was one of those ‘in between’ cases where both yellow and red are correct decision. Could have easily been a red, though I don’t think that it was a mistake that it was only a yellow.

Revan

Assumptionman
Italy were ruthless and deserved to see red cards.

If Chiellini (and his violent tug on Saka), and those yellow cards is what a 'winner' looks like then let them have it.

If this is what it takes to win then at least England lost with dignity.
Salty. You reached the final by cheating and getting a penalty. To then only chase ghosts in the final while being at home.

diavel80

Supports
italy
I agree with you and i can't understand how some people don't see this as a red.

And what about the rolling around on the ground by Jorginho - faking and conning the referee.

Referee was easy fodder for them.
My partner is English... I am Italian... I love England... I didn't appreciate what I saw yesterday though ... England was clearly inferior on the field... Italians have been stressed for ages because of the "catenaccio" ... because of "complaints"... but.. as I can see there's just lot of people moaning... Italians supporters hit at the airport and out of the stadium... players refusing a medal ... that's not the spirit guys... when you play football there are also the opponents.. and this time... despite you were playing home... there was a time which played 13 finals... which won 4 World Cup... and 1 euro Cup... a team which played an amazing football... again I love England... this time I am not impressed at all by them though... nobody is the best for a divine right... if you were the best you should show it in the last 90 years... I am sorry but you didn't...

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Dignity? You kidding me? The whole world agrees on that you got zero dignity, why do you think the everyone was cheering for italy?
Talking about dignity after that penalty against Denmark....

Wouldn't been that upset if Jorghino got a red card for that challenge, it lookt like it could go either way, yellow or red.

Happy that we won, and the win gets even better when I read posts like this.
Salty. You reached the final by cheating and getting a penalty. To then only chase ghosts in the final while being at home.
My partner is English... I am Italian... I love England... I didn't appreciate what I saw yesterday though ... England was clearly inferior on the field... Italians have been stressed for ages because of the "catenaccio" ... because of "complaints"... but.. as I can see there's just lot of people moaning... Italians supporters hit at the airport and out of the stadium... players refusing a medal ... that's not the spirit guys... when you play football there are also the opponents.. and this time... despite you were playing home... there was a time which played 13 finals... which won 4 World Cup... and 1 euro Cup... a team which played an amazing football... again I love England... this time I am not impressed at all by them though... nobody is the best for a divine right... if you were the best you should show it in the last 90 years... I am sorry but you didn't...

Welcome to our Italian friends who, it seems, are United supporters.

Hammondo

Not the test though. It’s clearly reckless as he’s stretching, goes in studs up and his foot rolls over the top of the ball onto Grealish’s knee. Very clear red card under the current laws.
That's not wreckless, just very unlucky.

Matriac

It was rash, risky and unnecessary given the moment in the game. The intent was there to win the ball at all costs and it was high risk.

Red all day long
Can't the same be said for Grealish who is sliding in to catch the ball since he couldn't reach the ball in time by staying up?

Why should the opposition stop going for a ball because the other player is doing a last ditch effort to slide in for the ball?

It's unfortunate what happened, but both went for the ball in a 50-50, both reached the ball at the same time. Not even a yellow for me.

Matriac

There's a difference between club and country. Get off your high horse, y'all love it when all the talk is about how United is the biggest club in the world with the most amount of fans around the world. How United stay competitive without money injection from owners because WE generate the money on our own as a club.

That doesn't mean that fans of United can't root for another international team than England.

Devil81

In the modern game it's a red card more often that not.

Personally the Chiellini pull down of Saka was worse, just because of how cynical it was.

Though the ref had a good game overall though.
That pull back was a disgrace, we've seen stuff like that loads down the years and in my opinion it should result in a straight red because it's clear out and out cheating. I know it's slightly different but Ole was sent off for tripping Rob Lee back in the day and this was very similar if you ask me, who knows where Saka would have ended up if he'd gotten away, maybe he wouldn't have got in on goal but Sterling or Kane maybe could have.

The tackle looked terrible but in my opinion he went for the ball.

MadMike

Can't the same be said for Grealish who is sliding in to catch the ball since he couldn't reach the ball in time by staying up?

Why should the opposition stop going for a ball because the other player is doing a last ditch effort to slide in for the ball?

It's unfortunate what happened, but both went for the ball in a 50-50, both reached the ball at the same time. Not even a yellow for me.
No it can't. Grealish's challenge shouldn't stop Jorginho going for the ball, but the way Grealish is going for it is not endangering Jorginho. At the worst, Jorginho trips over Grealish. Whereas the way Jorginho is going for it, by showing studs and stomping on it, risks injury. You can always try to kick it with your toes or top of the foot instead of stomping. If you stomp on the ball while overextending, your foot will very likely roll off the the ball (in any direction) and you could connect with the other player. As Jorginho did.

Phillips' challenge is the same. By the book, both are fouls and yellow cards. Neither is a red. There's no intent, malice or excessive force.

Last edited:

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Could have been a red. Some refs would have given it, some wouldn't. Do yourself a favour and forget about it.

In all honesty this is a Mau Utd forum, not an England forum. Italy won it. I understand the need to feel dissapointed but it is in the past. I think it is time to get back to Utd issues and put the Euros to bed.

Catania

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
Catania
I'm not a United supporter, never claimed to be one (not supporter of any PL team).

I'm here because I like watching PL and United have been the most fun team to watch the last 7 years or so because you never know what you get.