Jose: Football is changing, managers are more head coaches

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
When asked about the board not going after his targets he said that's football management. That football is changing and managers are now more like head coaches.

I don't think he could have dealt with that any better.

Smores

When asked about the board not going after his targets he said that's football management. That football is changing and managers are now more like head coaches.

I don't think he could have dealt with that any better.
Brave thread, bunker down a storm is coming :lol:

Heardy

Agreed. Annoying that he was being baited.

Neville makes a good pount though - who in the board roo. is vetoeing joses targets - theyre not football men!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Neville pointing out that there is no one at the club in the role of a sporting director and that he doubts that SAF is an influence with regards to how the board has been acting. Right on Gazza.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
If that is the model we decide to go with then an actual football man should be brought in to arrange the transfers, leaving Woody to do it won't go well.

sal klita

Football is changing and Mourinho became a dinosaur. Nowadays, I don't see difference between him and Tony Pulis.
Woody just doesn't know which manager is suited to club demands.

Jev

He also pointedly mentioned that Leicester spent more money than us and suggested that their squad matches ours in quality, and that "we should get used to that".

So he's not exactly letting it lie, is he?

Dion

I actually came away from that reassured. Jose seemed enthusiastic and generally philosophical about not getting who he wanted. Of course that might all go the other way if we start losing, but I liked how he handled that.

Neville spot on though. We need a director of football who will work well with Jose.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Don’t know how it came across on TV but J stay was loudly singing Jose’s name and Mourinho’s red army. The hardcore ain’t given up on him like the internet fans.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Don’t know how it came across on TV but J stay was loudly singing Jose’s name and Mourinho’s red army. The hardcore ain’t given up on him like the internet fans.
I heard that loud and clear. Lovely.

klsv

In before the "Jose vs The Changing Face of Football" thread.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Neville pointing out that there is no one at the club in the role of a sporting director and that he doubts that SAF is an influence with regards to how the board has been acting. Right on Gazza.
I remember it being said a few years ago that we've got two boards. A financial board of directors and a football board with the likes of Fergie and Charlton on. Doubt they have anything to do with the signings part but they have some sort of influence with the club.

haram

Just like Gary said, who the feck is above Mourinho in a footballing capacity then?

jmaggio

Uncharacteristicly careful choice of words from Jose there. Hasn’t directly had a go at anyone, linked it into the changing face of football. It’s obvious that he wants to keep this job. Let’s get in a DOF to avoid this situation happening again.

Smores

If that is the model we decide to go with then an actual football man should be brought in to arrange the transfers, leaving Woody to do it won't go well.
Yeah certainly this, i really don't like the idea of Ed appointing himself in some kind of faux sporting director role.

Addled

The head coach would have brought Martial on (if he had the work done). The manager would have sold him.
Confusing........

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Yeah certainly this, i really don't like the idea of Ed appointing himself in some kind of faux sporting director role.
Didn't we sign some big wig scout \ head scout type from Italy recently?

TehRed

We need a DoF who can take these decisions away from the money men like Ed to an extent, back the manager for reasons other than money, and actually know about football.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Feck Geoff Shreeves seriously, he asked him the same question in pre-match interview and then again later.

Glad he answered so we can move on from this non-sense after this week.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I remember it being said a few years ago that we've got two boards. A financial board of directors and a football board with the likes of Fergie and Charlton on. Doubt they have anything to do with the signings part but they have some sort of influence with the club.
Yes, I'm sure they have some influence and are perhaps consulted on major matters but I'm not sure they have much weight day-to-day. Is there anyone else bar SAF and Bobby who know anything about anything at board level? I feel like kissing Gazza on the mouth for pointing this out. Surely the calls for actual football people making the football decisions will grow louder.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The head coach would have brought Martial on (if he had the work done). The manager would have sold him.
Confusing........
The only thing that is confusing is your decision to bring Martial's lack of a substitute appearance to an entirely unrelated thread.

Fergies Slippers

Football is changing and Mourinho became a dinosaur. Nowadays, I don't see difference between him and Tony Pulis.
Woody just doesn't know which manager is suited to club demands.
This has got to be a wind up. How has the caf even got to the point of comparing Jose to Tony Pulis because he didn't get the players he wanted in, 20 minutes after winning the first match of the season with a half fit team no less.

Nico87

Id rather keep the manager picking our transfer targets, if we can afford who he wants buy them. One thing you have to admire about City is last year Pep decided they need full backs they threw 150 million at it it and solved the problem. We all sneered they overpaid but it fixed the issues they had. The DOF football model often results in being lumbered with players the manager doesn't want.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If he was trying to be diplomatic I'm not sure he needed to point out that Leicester spent more than us.

King Eric 7

I don't think the board are dictating which players to buy. They are just stating that we can't pay x for a player who either a) has no resale value after a 4/5 year contract or b) isn't better than what we have. Previous targets last season / the season before were obtainable at the right price so Jose will need to adapt his list of targets based on the requirements of the club.

el3mel

Great quote. You can clearly see he doesn't want any off the pitch drama this season and is trying to keep the heads calm.

Smores

To be fair to Jose or any future manager i think the club need to be very clear on the methods and scope under which they'll operate. It's the undermining that will not sit well with any manager

cyberman

If he was trying to be diplomatic I'm not sure he needed to point out that Leicester spent more than us.
He's pointing out the economic power of English clubs which is raising the standard of players at lower clubs.
He even says that in the interview

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think he’ll give up on club football when he leaves United. I’m not sure he enjoys it as much as he used to.