Jose has a dig at the crowd

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
" Rather than those who just click a button on their laptop, moan about how poor(insert names here) is/are, and then log off" which is basically what people/fans on these boards do about players 24/7.

And has it also occurred to you that some if not the majority of fans online on these boards don't have those fortunate circumstances where they can attend games live mostly due to location.

"Making an effort going to games", please don't make it sound like it's some hard task people are sacrificing their time over. It's a privilege most people on these boards would kill to have.
Yes you're correct, not everyone has the privilege, but then most of them are decrying the efforts of the fans who actually go.
I do agree the locals leaving with 15mins to go are a bit of a disgrace though!

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
The same ultras who I stood and watched after the game 20 mins later doing Munich airplanes and being wankers before finally stewards started pushing them out? No thanks. They can keep those black bin bags they were waving about also during the game.

6:15 onwards - You'll also see what our away end thought of some dickhead trying to organise chants with a megaphone.

Was clashes all night even in town.

Correct. It is an english thing we like to get on the piss and not nonce about with a drum and a megaphone. I could not think of anything more embarrassing we would have the piss taken out of us beyond belief.
All night? Damn. Also they were throwing pyros onto the pitch and nearly hit their own disabled fans, complete lack of respect and disregard for other people's safety.

U99ted

Here is Webby from FullTimeDevils take on the issue (14 minutes 30 seconds in):

Needham

The gates went down for a bit so season tickets were not working but papers were. Photo going round from one of the exec lounges showing the queue to the ticket office snaking round the car park. Some people reported not getting in until 30 mins after kick off.
Shambles but that's United ticket office for you.
E tickets via cell phones scanned through the turnstiles in a second. Simples.

Claymore

Olf Trafford is one of the quieter grounds the country, PL, for sure. Liverpool, Stoke, Newacastle, Spurs, Everton, West Ham, Swansea all IMO are louder, BUT we have 76,000 so psotives are when we are on it, its great, but negatives are that its much harder to syncronise all those people and that big stadium. Dortmund does it some how...

If you sitt in the South Stand where the manager and players sits its like a library.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Olf Trafford is one of the quieter grounds the country, PL, for sure. Liverpool, Stoke, Newacastle, Spurs, Everton, West Ham, Swansea all IMO are louder, BUT we have 76,000 so psotives are when we are on it, its great, but negatives are that its much harder to syncronise all those people and that big stadium. Dortmund does it some how...

If you sitt in the South Stand where the manager and players sits its like a library.
The South Stand has always been quiet.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Who was the legend doing the backing vocals for Spirit in the Sky in the Stretty at the end of the match today? Love when chants get going for a good 10 minutes. Was a nice little atmosphere once only the hardcore were left.

serxyo

I'd take dig at the crowd too. This Old Trafford atmosphere is killing me. ARE SUPPORTERS THERE TO WATCH THE GAME or SUPPORT THE TEAM?

I feel like fans don't love this club and i feel like they don't deserve to be there. People all around the world and even people from Manchester would f* love to be in every game if they had enough money to pay for the tickets, trips etc. They would scream United for whole 90 minutes so team would be 100 % motivated. This is bullshit what's happening at the moment. I know there are rules in England about cheering and supporting. This is bullshit if you ask me. The whole Europe if not the world can be laughing to our atmosphere if we consider ourselves as the greatest, biggest club ever. Something needs to change. Maybe leaders in chanting, maybe new songs, maybe new anthems, maybe someone needs to accept something and change our fans to ultras. Banners should be in every game, scarves should be in every match, flags all over the stadium. BUT PEOPLE JUST SIT AT OUR STADIUM DOING UH AND AH AND APPLAUDING. Please people, something is wrong, very wrong with this. No, it's not Glazers fault or someone else', people that are at the stadium make the atmosphere. Silence is not atmosphere. WAKE UP OLD TRAFFORD, PLAYERS DESERVE IT, CLUB DESERVES IT, YOU DESERVE IT.

Maybe the Theatre of dreams is the actual name of the stadium.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The guy sat next to me tonight spent half the game on his phone looking at the scores in the other games :mad:

Also WTF was with the torch show?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Don't blame the fans. Blame United. Blame the FA. Blame football.

Prices keep going up, and for what? So they can pay more for players? Then pay those players more? (not talking about United specifically there, because we have to keep up)
On top of that, crap safety measures stifle any fun the remaining fans can have.

Best atmosphere I've been in was a game with cheap tickets, standing, drinking beer in the stadium, people were even smoking in that section (shock horror). This was a Stuttgart game last year. Not a great team.
Allow people to let go a bit in a safe manner. It's not that fun going to watch football in the UK. Everything has been policed to the point where people can't do much other than sit there, and a lot of young adults have been priced out.

Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I'd take dig at the crowd too. This Old Trafford atmosphere is killing me. ARE SUPPORTERS THERE TO WATCH THE GAME or SUPPORT THE TEAM?

I feel like fans don't love this club and i feel like they don't deserve to be there. People all around the world and even people from Manchester would f* love to be in every game if they had enough money to pay for the tickets, trips etc. They would scream United for whole 90 minutes so team would be 100 % motivated. This is bullshit what's happening at the moment. I know there are rules in England about cheering and supporting. This is bullshit if you ask me. The whole Europe if not the world can be laughing to our atmosphere if we consider ourselves as the greatest, biggest club ever. Something needs to change. Maybe leaders in chanting, maybe new songs, maybe new anthems, maybe someone needs to accept something and change our fans to ultras. Banners should be in every game, scarves should be in every match, flags all over the stadium. BUT PEOPLE JUST SIT AT OUR STADIUM DOING UH AND AH AND APPLAUDING. Please people, something is wrong, very wrong with this. No, it's not Glazers fault or someone else', people that are at the stadium make the atmosphere. Silence is not atmosphere. WAKE UP OLD TRAFFORD, PLAYERS DESERVE IT, CLUB DESERVES IT, YOU DESERVE IT.

What on earth makes you think you can lecture anyone at the ground?

Absolute load of nonsense.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive

Careful, you'll give yourself an aneurysm if you put any more bold bits in.

Tiber

Oh give over. What a load of pointless bluster.

MrPooni

You're talking about a mid-week third round League Cup game against Burton Albion here. A little perspective would be nice.

Jaybomb

The European clubs fans are always better because the clubs aren't so fecking sensitive about everything.

You want to light some flares? Knock yourself out.

Wanna sing about someone's dick? go right ahead.

The atmosphere in the Premier League as a whole is neutered cause everyone is so offended and uptight about everything. It's too Politically correct.

Look at the atmosphere of Galatasaray compared to ours for example. Yeah they had a few bad moments but let's not paint them all with that brush... for the most part, the atmosphere in Turkey is amazing.

I wish Old Trafford was hell for Away teams but unfortunately it just isn't. It's too clean. Flares and banners and all that stuff make the world of difference as far as atmosphere goes.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Always enjoyed getting a bonfire going in the stands when I've been to see Karpaty Lviv.

serxyo

You're talking about a mid-week third round League Cup game against Burton Albion here. A little perspective would be nice.
Looks like you're not watching our games then. Atmosphere in Slovenian 2nd league between Mura and Nafta is better and of course you don't even know where Slovenia is. I can tell that I've been in more then 50 matches of different clubs, I love United and always shout, but then there are other stands then just Stratford end and people are quiet there. For the whole game I'd say. Watch game of Barcelona, Real, Juve, Napoli, I better be quiet about any german club. Open your eyes and don't use that it's only Burton as an excuse, if you support this team show it.

Prices keep going up, and for what? So they can pay more for players? Then pay those players more?
On top of that, crap safety measures stifle any fun the remaining fans can have.

Best atmosphere I've been in was a game with cheap tickets, standing, drinking beer in the stadium, people were even smoking in that section (shock horror). This was at Stuttgart last year. Not a great team.
Allow people to let go a bit in a safe manner. It's not that fun going to watch football in the UK. Everything has been policed to the point where people can't do much other than sit there, and a lot of young adults have been priced out.
Well you can tell that out loud with 30k other fans like the fans in other countries do if the prices are too high.
What on earth makes you think you can lecture anyone at the ground?

Absolute load of nonsense.
Sorry, what do you mean by that?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

:lol: do one.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I wish Old Trafford was hell for Away teams but unfortunately it just isn't. It's too clean. Flares and banners and all that stuff make the world of difference as far as atmosphere goes.
Tonnes of huge flags looks great, specially when you're right in the middle with everyone bouncing.
Can't help but think someone would complain their view was blocked for 2 minutes though, then they'd be banned again.

MrPooni

Prices keep going up, and for what? So they can pay more for players? Then pay those players more?
Ticket prices have been frozen for like 6 years now and the club are working closer than ever with fan groups to try and improve things. The total price of a typical match day experience on the other hand is a different story but that has more to do with a wider squeeze on people's personal finances than anything the club have done. Regarding your personal experiences, I agree overzealous stewarding is a problem too but that can have a lot do with the kind of people who populate the stand you're in than specific directives from the club or the FA. My old man and I used to have season tickets in the lower tier of the North Stand and we were routinely forced to sit down and told to shut up by all the old fogeys around us and any attempt to argue would immediately result in a steward coming over. It didn't help we were near an entranceway so there'd always be a steward close by.

serxyo

The European clubs fans are always better because the clubs aren't so fecking sensitive about everything.

The atmosphere in the Premier League as a whole is neutered cause everyone is so offended and uptight about everything. It's too Politically correct.

Look at the atmosphere of Galatasaray compared to ours for example. Yeah they had a few bad moments but let's not paint them all with that brush... for the most part, the atmosphere in Turkey is amazing.

I'm against using of flares, but I'm not against being loud, that's what I'm trying to say here. You can sing about weird things, but tbh you knew that something is going to happen after that Lukaku chant.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ticket prices have been frozen for like 6 years now and the club are working closer than ever with fan groups to try and improve things. The total price of a typical match day experience on the other hand is a different story but that has more to do with a wider squeeze on people's personal finances than anything the club have done. Regarding your personal experiences, I agree overzealous stewarding is a problem too but that can have a lot do with the kind of people who populate the stand you're in than specific directives from the club or the FA. My old man and I used to have season tickets in the lower tier of the North Stand and we were routinely forced to sit down and told to shut up by all the old fogeys around us and any attempt to argue would immediately result in a steward coming over. It didn't help we were near an entranceway so there'd always be a steward close by.
They have to freeze them otherwise no one would go, or at best they'd lose more decent fans.
Ticket, petrol, parking, maybe a bite to eat, can soon bring you to near a tonne for 90 mins sitting in the cold (not sure how much a season ticket works out at per game).
It'd be worth paying the premium to see a team like United if it was more fun to actually be there. I can only justify it a few times a year now.

MrPooni

Looks like you're not watching our games then. Atmosphere in Slovenian 2nd league between Mura and Nafta is better and of course you don't even know where Slovenia is. I can tell that I've been in more then 50 matches of different clubs, I love United and always shout, but then there are other stands then just Stratford end and people are quiet there. For the whole game I'd say. Watch game of Barcelona, Real, Juve, Napoli, I better be quiet about any german club. Open your eyes and don't use that it's only Burton as an excuse, if you support this team show it.
Sorry to disappoint mate but I'm not about to be sucked into a dick measuring contest about how well travelled I am or how many football matches I've been to – I will however state that you're making an absolute tit out of yourself here and it's not doing your argument any favours. Pour yourself a honey brandy and call it a night.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
*Straightens suit and jumps to his feet* 'Assumes facts not in evidence your honour! I will not have my witness badgered'

MrPooni

They have to freeze them otherwise no one would go, or at best they'd lose more proper fans.
Ticket, petrol, parking, maybe a bite to eat, can soon bring you to near a tonne for 90 mins sitting in the cold (not sure how much a season ticket works out at per game).
It'd be worth paying the premium to see a team like United if it was more fun to actually be there. I can only justify it a few times a year now.
I agree. We ended up giving up our season tickets a couple of seasons ago for a combination of reasons but the lack of entertainment during matches definitely played a role in our decision. Our post-Fergie performances made it extremely difficult to justify the time off work, the long travel and everything else that comes with being a modern day supporter.

serxyo

Sorry to disappoint mate but I'm not about to be sucked into a dick measuring contest about how well travelled I am or how many football matches I've been to – I will however state that you're making an absolute tit out of yourself here and it's not doing your argument any favours. Pour yourself a honey brandy and call it a night.
*Straightens suit and jumps to his feet* 'Assumes facts not in evidence your honour! I will not have my witness badgered'
Looks like you've decided to be arrogant. I hope you've seen what happend when Köln came to London

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Looks like you've decided to be arrogant. I hope you've seen what happend when Köln came to London
What? 20,000 fans with no tickets pile into the Emirates taking the seats of the home fans, being violent, causing trouble and requiring families with kids to be moved to the other side of the stadium?

The point you're trying to make is...?

And for the record, it's not being arrogant, it's called taking the piss, and your initial post warranted a pisstake response.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

DADDY DADDY DADDY! WANT WANT WANT!

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

Can relate almost fully here with hockey in Vancouver.

The Canucks (our NHL team) are in a similar boat. Well we don't have the history United have never having won the Stanley Cup (the ultimate prize which every team in the league plays for) but other than that in terms of fans and passion and lack of home crowd support it's the same. Despite being a Canadian sport there are 31 teams in total but only 7 are Canadian. In general, Canadian hockey fans are the more passionate but like United, it's difficult for every day die hard fans to make an impact as they are either priced out being in a very expensive Canadian market and if not, the security in the game won't let you make much noise which is sad and pathetic.

Our team isn't all that competitive atm as we're rebuilding but I remember a few years ago when we were one of the leagues best teams, tickets to games were ridiculous and it was usually rich businessmen taking up the best seats in the house (lower bowl) and it was just a formality for them. They'd casually take up seats, not really pay attention to the game, often times on their phones or making business deals with clients lol. And fans that did cheer and do chants etc, the rich fellas complained to security who told em to quiet down or else they'd be kicked out of the stadium. Then the following year the team tried a concept where they would allow a very small section in the arena to be an all out fan zone but just the concept of it was stupid and exposed the team lol. I mean it was kinda cool(?) but not what you'd expect only having a few odd hundred fans allowed to freely voice their opinion and show 100% support to the players on the ice when everyone else was the same old and quiet for the most part.

But at the same time I feel us Canadian fans are a lot more civilized in the society we live in and show our passion a different way. We love hockey and watching games we're so engulfed we analyze what's going on and try thinking in the position of the player or coach. Kind of try to make sense of what's going on and see if it's a reasonable tactic or not. Whereas the American fans is where all the ratings come from (having more teams and a lot bigger population) and they don't really dissect games as us Canadians fans do and thus they 'enjoy' the games more and make a bigger ruckus. In a way I feel United are comparable to us Canucks fans and it's just the reality of the situation all things considered for both teams/cities. I mean just look at football rivalries in South America. Fans are absolutely barbaric and kill opposing teams fans/players and go to idiotic lengths like poising the rival cities water reservoirs for what? A game lol. In a way how United fans can say 'well look at the Galatasaray fans', I bet their fans say 'well look at Boca Juniors fans' as they go to further lengths than they do. Does it necessarily mean they have "better" fans? Not really, as a point can be made they're just a lot less civilized and take the game of football a bit too seriously where they behave as barbaric as they do with little to no regard for human life. Are they passionate? Definitely. But there's a fine line between being a civilized fan and a barbarian.

...I get this side of the arguement as I've seen it first hand with our hockey team but I also understand it's just the reality of things as we express our passion a different way (more civilized you can say). But at the same time, I personally don't like the atmosphere it creates and would prefer the latter (barbaric) when it comes to that. Guess you just have to give and take when it comes to things like this. Seattle however has it down to a tee imho. Their NFL team the Seahawks (a 2-3 hour drive) have the near perfect mix of both worlds. Civilized and the loudest crowd noise ever recorded (guinness world record). Went to a playoff game 2 years ago with friends who are Seahawks fans, swear on my life I'm not exaggerating when I say our ears were ringing/buzzing for 4 day after the game was played. Absolute insanity lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrPooni

Can relate almost fully here with hockey in Vancouver.

The Canucks (our NHL team) are in a similar boat. Well we don't have the history United have never having won the Stanley Cup (the ultimate prize which every team in the league plays for) but other than that in terms of fans and passion and lack of home crowd support it's the same. Despite being a Canadian sport there are 31 teams in total but only 7 are Canadian. In general, Canadian hockey fans are the more passionate but like United, it's difficult for every day die hard fans to make an impact as they are either priced out being in a very expensive Canadian market and if not, the security in the game won't let you make much noise which is sad and pathetic.

Our team isn't all that competitive atm as we're rebuilding but I remember a few years ago when we were one of the leagues best teams, tickets to games were ridiculous and it was usually rich businessmen taking up the best seats in the house (lower bowl) and it was just a formality for them. They'd casually take up seats, not really pay attention to the game, often times on their phones or making business deals with clients lol. And fans that did cheer and do chants etc, the rich fellas complained to security who told em to quiet down or else they'd be kicked out of the stadium. Then the following year the team tried a concept where they would allow a very small section in the arena to be an all out fan zone but just the concept of it was stupid and exposed the team lol. I mean it was kinda cool(?) but not what you'd expect only having a few odd hundred fans allowed to freely voice their opinion and show 100% support to the players on the ice when everyone else was the same old and quiet for the most part.

But at the same time I feel us Canadian fans are a lot more civilized in the society we live in and show our passion a different way. We love hockey and watching games we're so engulfed we analyze what's going on and try thinking in the position of the player or coach. Kind of try to make sense of what's going on and see if it's a reasonable tactic or not. Whereas the American fans is where all the ratings come from (having more teams and a lot bigger population) and they don't really dissect games as us Canadians fans do and thus they 'enjoy' the games more and make a bigger ruckus. In a way I feel United are comparable to us Canucks fans and it's just the reality of the situation all things considered for both teams/cities. I mean just look at football rivalries in South America. Fans are absolutely barbaric and kill opposing teams fans/players and go to retarded lengths like poising the rival cities water reservoirs for what? A game lol. In a way how United fans can say 'well look at the Galatasaray fans', I bet their fans say 'well look at Boca Juniors fans' as they go to further lengths than they do. Does it necessarily mean they have "better" fans? Not really, as a point can be made they're just a lot less civilized and take the game of football a bit too seriously where they behave as barbaric as they do with little to no regard for human life. Are they passionate? Definitely. But there's a fine line between being a civilized fan and a barbarian.

...I get this side of the arguement as I've seen it first hand with our hockey team but I also understand it's just the reality of things as we express our passion a different way (more civilized you can say). But at the same time, I personally don't like the atmosphere it creates and would prefer the latter (barbaric) when it comes to that. Guess you just have to give and take when it comes to things like this. Seattle however has it down to a tee imho. Their NFL team the Seahawks (a 2-3 hour drive) have the near perfect mix of both worlds. Civilized and the loudest crowd noise ever recorded (guinness world record). Went to a playoff game 2 years ago with friends who are Seahawks fans, swear on my life I'm not exaggerating when I say our ears were ringing/buzzing for 4 day after the game was played. Absolute insanity lol.
I have family in Surrey, BC with a few bars and properties dotted around Downtown Vancouver and my overriding memory of Canucks' fans is how they broke out into a riot and looted their own city after losing a cup final. It was not dissimilar to the time scummy Rangers fans tore up Manchester after losing the UEFA Cup Final and cost us our post-Moscow parade, only in the case of the Canucks, they were considerate enough to feck up their own city instead of someone elses.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I have family in Surrey, BC with a few bars and properties dotted around Downtown Vancouver and my overriding memory of Canucks' fans is how they broke out into a riot and looted their own city after losing a cup final. It was not dissimilar to the time scummy Rangers fans tore up Manchester after losing the UEFA Cup Final and cost us our post-Moscow parade, only in the case of the Canucks, they were considerate enough to feck up their own city instead of someone elses.
I was there and wasn't as bad as media made it out to be. Case in point Bruins fans "rioted" in Boston too but it didn't get much coverage if any.

Long story short there was going to be looting/rioting regardless of if they won or lost game 7. When the Canucks lost in the finals in '94 as well, same thing happened and a fan actually wrote a book about what would happen the next time they made the finals. An actually published book. Wrote what would happen, how things would unfold, which groups of people would target which stores etc etc and it was made for the city/police to get the scoop on how to control a future scenario. For whatever reason they purposely did not take the book into account and ignored what was said. Doesn't help nearly no officers were stationed outside the public viewing areas on the streets and around the stadium where masses were gathered together.

And only a couple hundred caused the havoc. Out of what, some odd 10s of thousands of people? Unfortunate but it was clumsy from the get go on the cities part and ultimately their own undoing and fault.

Last edited:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The funny thing is that this is the exact reaction you get when you try to get a chant started at OT. Next you'll be telling us to sit down when typing.
Seems you have totally missed misunderstood my stance on this then. That post of his was laughable though.

GeorgieBoy

German football has perfected it. They've got it spot on. Safe standing, cheaper tickets, less strict rules on alcohol allows for such a good atmosphere.