Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We need to get through out next 6 games in the next round of the FA cup, next round of CL and still 2nd in the league. Otherwise, it'll start be looked at as more of a failed season and more questions will be asked if he's the right man in charge.

We play Chelsea and liverpool at Old Trafford - he needs to produce in a big game against direct competitors for once. The FA cup is our last realistic chance at a trophy, while the CL you just hope to stay in as long as possible, but certainly at least until we face one of the clear best 5 or 6(barca, City, psg, Bayern, madrid, Juve).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Posted this in the Pogba thread, but it might be more appropriate here:

Pogba just hasn't been good lately, but the buck has to come down with the manager in this case.

It's like this: if your company isn't performing well, it's your fault. A specific employee may be doing badly, and doing your best to try to improve their performance is great, and it's exactly what you should do, but ultimately we're not worried about a specific individual here. It's about the company. Sure it's made up of individuals, but you cannot expect them to perform at their best if they are not bought into the vision and the team effort of the unit. As the leader, that's your job.

Look at Elon's companies, for example. Tesla and SpaceX get enormous buzz resulting in some of the best talent available to them, and yet they famously demand 110% of all their employees in terms of work ethic, pay (although still very well) not exceptionally, and consistently achieve great results. And it's clear why that is - the employees are just bought in. They have an awkwardly charismatic leader who just seems like a great guy and leads by example. And most importantly, they're bought into the vision, what the companies are trying to do, and the way in which they go about doing that.

Now compare that with United. We have a manager who is not known for being the most genuine person around, which is fine cause it's football and no one is 100% popular in football, but that's not the most important thing. It's his vision, aim, strategy, philosophy, etc. That's the problem!

Players look across the road and see City flying this season by playing expansive, attractive and very attacking football. And that's exactly why you want to be a player. You want to be playing like that. It's just obvious.

Going back to Pogba, of course he doesn't think to himself, well De Bruyne is just better than me. None of these players think that, they're all at the top of their field capable of great football and ability. I doubt Mata thinks he's worse than his friend David Silva, or Alexis think he's worse than Aguero, Martial worse than Sane, Rashford worse than Sterling, etc.

So instead they must be thinking (and OF COURSE they are thinking this) - our neighbours and main rivals are just being set up better than us. They have a better vision of how they want to play, and even though every football philosophy has its limitations, they are executing it with complete belief and great success.

I think that is the elephant in the room when talking about any of our players' performances on a macro scale (obviously I'm not talking about a single match performance, but the bigger picture). Human psychology just plays too big a role and when, in a competitive sport, your neighbours are doing it more successfully, more consistently, and in a more aesthetically pleasing way, you are bound to wonder, well what do they have that we don't. The answer: a clear idea of how they want to play, backed by a manager and coaches who are trying to make that way of playing get results and be stylish at the same time.

...And some of you wonder why De Bruyne runs around like a maniac and Pogba limps around looking uninterested. If I worked for SpaceX I think I'd dump my girlfriend, never sleep again, and work my ass off.

Pogba will be fine. We need a better manager. Maybe not in the summer, or next summer. But hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm happy to wait and be proven wrong.
Like this post, different way of looking at things but I agree.

Treble

From 8th to 27th game last season United won 36 pts with a GD of +12.

From 8th to 27th game this season United won 37 pts with a GD of +13.

Basically, tne progress from last season is limited to the first 2 months of this season. From October to January the team has been largely the same in quality as last season: more wins but also more losses. And virtually the same GD.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I am usually in the Mourinho camp, and think that being effective, getting results, being defensively solid and offensively clinical are his teams' trademarks. But the recent performances have been quite concerning, tactically. We look defensively frail and error prone, and we are struggling to create chances and take them.

He has the right tools at his disposal, but is not even close to making the most of them. And that is an issue because tactics are supposed to be his strength.

The Pogba issue is glaringly obvious. He is not being used in his most effective role as part of a midfield three, he is being asked to play deeper down the pitch, and he is being scapegoated for poor results simply because the expectations are high from him. He is Paul fecking Pogba, he should not be asked to be defensively positioned well or hold the midfield. He carries the ball, shields it, and finds final balls and long range boomers. And that simply cannot happen if he is asked to play with Matic in a midfield two.

And that isn't the half of it. Why is Alexis not being tried on the right? Why do we need to sacrifice a working setup of Martial/Rashford there? Why do we still not have an established playmaker like Eriksen or KDB or Silva to find final balls? Why is the manager still tinkering with the lineup every week and struggling to find something that works?

On paper, we can be as fearsome as the City team, it is totally possible with the likes of Lukaku, Martial, Sanchez, Pogba, Mata and Rashford. We are not a team, yet. Just a collection of individual players who have no collective clue or plan in the final third. And that is on Jose. If he can't fix it, we need to find someone who can. Because this squad is capable of being a far far better team than it currently is.

We need to show progress in CL this year for me to regain trust in Jose, and he needs to sort out the team next season. Otherwise, I think he's on limited time at United.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Has to look at himself.
18 moths in and I still don't see a cohesive unit.
How many players have made clear and considerable improvement under him?

diplomat

more wins but also more losses. And virtually the same GD
For me, the only difference is we are more clinical, but not really better in attack (despite the enormous investments there) and we have actually become a little worse in defense, showcased by the fact De Gea is making more saves this season than the last.

Borden

Has to look at himself.
None.

Mourinho has not improved us one bit. Spending a fortune on players has. But not much. We look like an uncoached group of individuals. Watching Spurs play tonight it's depressing to see how much better they are than us.

Canagel

People shouldn't forget that we had the easiest CL group of all the British sides and that's a big factor in league games. If we had a tougher group I don't believe we would be 2nd at the moment. Our strong early season form is keeping us there for the moment but the likes of Spurs and Liverpool have been creeping in on us the last 7 or 8 games. If we don't finish top 4, Mourinho should be sacked on the spot IMO. What reason is there for him to stay? His style of play is negative and goes against everything the club stands for. He hasn't improved any of our players. Everyone seems to have regressed under his management. There are no signs he is close to getting things right either. I can't put up with another season of his football. People talk about the trophies but I wouldn't mind if we didn't win anything for a couple of years as long as we play with pride, passion and on the front foot. Eventually if we keep building up to something we will start to dominate things once again after 5/6 years. There has to be a plan in place for the future. The club doesn't seem to have a plan. He was always going to be a short term solution after LVG and most of us were in agreement that we wouldn't mind his negative football for a while as long as he steadies the ship because the club needed stability after LVG. 18 months on and I've had enough already.

Last edited:

El Jefe

Has to look at himself.
Don't forget his performances in the big games. That's probably the biggest let down since he's been here, the cowardice and the defeats to go with them. He was once the perfect manager for away games against the top sides in the league, I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure he's not much better than Wenger in the top 6 mini league since joining us.

ash_86

Has to look at himself.
Right. We did not play cohesive last season. You'd assume Mourinho would have found what exactly is the problem and fixed it. The new season has begun and is almost up and we still have no clue on how to play cohesively. Now Mourinho suddenly wants to get a midfielder to play alongside Pogba in a 3. Why did he not think of it last season? Why should we believe he will fix this next season? All are big question marks!!

BRRRRAP

Sorry if some of you saw this poat in another thread but it is moat suited here as it is my thoughts on Mourinho so far.

I wasn't a big fan of Joses appointment but wasn't vehemently against it like some fans were. I want him to succeed but he is and has been far from convincing.

An objective realistic assessment will observe how awful and cowardly we really are, especially in big games. We have some of the most exciting prospects in world football playing for us yet we have to watch Mourinho resort to small club mentality serving defensive stodge and impotent, incoherent attack, week in week out.
Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and even Arsenal are playing much better than us atm. This is a shame as I believe we have the more naturally talented footballers but they are forced to play in a botched compromise of a system that does not know what it's trying to achieve.

There is no sense of fight, no spirit, no identity, no team cohesion, no fluency, no pressing, no discernible pattern of play, no chemistry and with players like Pogba and Lukaku regressing we will be very lucky to maintain top 4 status. Whatever the team is being coached is not working. In fact there is little evidence of any coaching in our play whatsoever. Its like eleven guys just met up for a kick about. That is absolutely scandalous for a club who want to compete for major trophies especially after our spend.

Clueless, indecisive and outdated botch job from Mourinho. We never hunt in packs. We never close down opposition when we give the ball away. We never high press. We sit back and invite pressure if we take a one goal lead. How we manage to look completely bereft of any plan, any coached sequences or pattern of play is beyond comprehension. It can't be fun to play in this shackled stodgy and confused formation. Worryingly individual players beginning to look confused, lacking in self belief and short on inspiration and aggression. This is all down to Mourinho's lack of street savvy. Even his post match interviews it appears that he is confused. He seems to confusedly think that maturity in management implies accepting a loss of raw aggression. That is a fatal flaw.

I'd like to bury my head in the sand like some of the posters on here, those who arrogantly, falsely accuse the realists as being whingers and spoilt, but I'd rather face the truth. Mourinho's outmoded 'stodge and counter' tactics will not suffice against today's high pressing, free flowing footie teams. If he can not adapt and get the team playing coherently by the end of the season then we need to get him out. I am not convinced that he has it in him to turn things around. Another season of confusion and disappointment will have drastic effect on the players progress and self belief.

No fuss, no hysterics just calmly thank him for his contribution and get a forward looking manager in who can get some team chemistry happening and get the best out of our footballers.

Camilo

People claiming we have been good for any period of time this season are utterly deluded. But those people tend to be folk who see the scoreline and rate the performance accordingly..

I remember about 15 minutes at everton where I actually enjoyed what we were doing.

The rest, including the 4-0s at the start of the year, have been deeply unimpressive. I don't see where we're going, I don't see what Mourinho's plan is, I don't see any improvement in the last 12 months! He's a different man to the one he was pre-Real. He looks tired, he looks like he's lost the drive, and worst of all it looks like his teams have lost the drive. He should take some time off from football, go enjoy some time with his family.

BigdaftGorby

Some manner you have there. And feck off with your top red accuse.
You’ve suddenly gone quiet, I’ve asked you to back up your words and you disappear.
It’s either one of two things with people like you. You’re either a WUM or you don’t really believe in all the things you have wrote.

That’s ok, I don’t actually think you’re a WUM, I think you’re one of these people who rely to much on stat nonsense.

Read a few of the posts in this thread.

But don’t come back spouting nonsense about stats unless you are willing to back up everything you say.

The wager still stands only if you really believe everything you have wrote.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is my original post, not even aimed at you

If 2nd is not improvement then what do you expect realistically?
This is where you butt in, bringing in all the stats and shots on goals, conceded yadda yadda, patronising me using stats

Just to point something out, we are second because of De Gea, before the game at Newcastle he saved 84% of shots on goal. Is that down to Jose’s tactics?

We conced the 6th most shots on goal!!! I guess that’s a Jose tactic as well?

We have some of the best individual talent in the world, Pogba being one of them. But let’s play him really deep so as not to create anything then take him off when he can’t supply assists from behind his own half way line, you know that line we sit on when the opposition get the ball? Suppose that’s Jose’s tactics as well?

I’m not even going to bother apologising for patronising you.
It’s the least you deserve for the last few posts you have made.
So totenham are 3rd because of kane?
It certainly helps, just as having De Gea helps us. Except Poch knows his set up, he knows who plays where, he knows how to organise his team. He doesn’t have failed wingers as full backs. He doesn’t have Chris Smalling!!

Dele is free to play his game but yet Jose shackles Pogba.

Spurs will be above us soon, as will the bindippers and Chelsea.

If he finishes outside the top 4 with the players he’s got them that’s down to Jose.

If he does insist on playing 4-2-3-1 he has to play the right players in the right positions. He has to play 2 holding midfielders and Pogba at 10. Unfortunately Lingard drips to the bench.

Stop rolling out the old “we are 2nd, we won 2 trophies”

Those failed wingers and smailing are signed by sir alex ferguson.

At the end of the day managers are judged by the results. If being 2nd is a ground for sacking we won't have saf. Pep will be gone last year.
This is where you go all emo

And he signed them as wingers!!! Not full backs, this is a glaring issue that still hasn’t been put right! And Smalling wouldn’t be here now if Fergie was still in charge. One thing he knew is when to get rid of a player.

And there you go again, still rolling out the “we are 2nd”

As I said, we won’t be for long.

That’s not negativity, that’s probability.
If we finish 2nd then please drag up all these posts and tell me “you told me so” I will graciously take anything you throw at me.

We can all be wrong.
Something tells me I won’t be though.
I admire your positivity, and I do see how you look at things. But we scrap for every point, even the 4 goal games where a struggle till the late stages.

I never wanted Jose, I knew the circus that came with him. I knew the functional football he would apply. I also knew his track record for winning.

I dont want him out but he deserves the same fate as the others if he doesn’t make top 4, with a vastly superior squad to Moyes or LvG.
And he signed them as wingers!!! Not full backs, this is a glaring issue that still hasn’t been put right! And Smalling wouldn’t be here now if Fergie was still in charge. One thing he knew is when to get rid of a player.

And there you go again, still rolling out the “we are 2nd”

But we are fecking 2nd, it's not a hypothesis, or hopeful dream. It's a factual fact of the table.

As I said, we won’t be for long.

You're so sure on this maybe you should go on ladbrokes, sell your house and bet on us not finishing 2nd.

That’s not negativity, that’s probability.
If we finish 2nd then please drag up all these posts and tell me “you told me so” I will graciously take anything you throw at me.

That's negativity, we're on a dog fight with 3 teams up our arse, and you as fans already gave up even when we're still 2nd on points. You expect the players and the managers to have a never say die attitude, not knowing when they're beaten yet you raised your hands up and give up when we're still 2nd on points.

We can all be wrong.
Something tells me I won’t be though.
I admire your positivity, and I do see how you look at things. But we scrap for every point, even the 4 goal games where a struggle till the late stages.

It's not positivity, it's objectivity. Jose is the 2nd best manager on the planet, he's not stupid, he sees thing we don't see on the training. There are reasons why he doesn't play Pogba in a 3 men midfield, maybe herrera isn't fit, maybe fellaini isn't suited for holding MF, and 101 reasons he knows better than you and I internet posters.

I never wanted Jose, I knew the circus that came with him. I knew the functional football he would apply. I also knew his track record for winning.

This is your problem. You're part of the circus that he attracts, his detractors that can't wait to complain on every little single thing he does whenever results are bad.

I dont want him out but he deserves the same fate as the others if he doesn’t make top 4, with a vastly superior squad to Moyes or LvG.

You know what he deserves? Our support, until he has proven beyond mathematical doubt that he finishes outside top 4.

I have no problems with people not liking jose, he's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's getting tiresome reading our manager get slagged all day long

This is me saying I support my manager, until he has proven he's not up to the job

You know what he deserves? Our support, until he has proven beyond mathematical doubt that he finishes outside top 4.

I have no problems with people not liking jose, he's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's getting tiresome reading our manager get slagged all day long.
Sure, Jose doesn't know shit, it's amazing how he won all he had won without knowing how to set up players and organise his team.
And without knowing me, you accuse me of top Red and a Wum.

So I’ve read everything you have wrote.

Take em off mate. The rose tinted glasses don’t suit anyone these days. It smacks of desperate “look at me I’m a top red”

No matter what I say you will just shout we are 2nd.

And as for me betting my house on not finishing 2nd.
I will make a bet with you?

If we finish 2nd I will log off and deactivate my account.
But the same goes for you.
If we don’t finish 2nd you need to disappear.

Time to put up or shut up.
Ok my last post of the day, 5 a day, I’ve extended the bet to you. If you’re so sure of yourself and Jose then accept the bet. I’m willing to put my account on the line. I’m so sure we won’t finish 2nd because of all the reasons I’ve given. And you keep rolling out the “we are 2nd” excuse.

And it’s not just me that thinks you smack of top red syndrome.

Don’t skirt round the issue. The bet is there.
Put up or shut up.

I obviously won’t be able to reply until tomorrow. ;)
You’ve suddenly gone quiet, I’ve asked you to back up your words and you disappear.
It’s either one of two things with people like you. You’re either a WUM or you don’t really believe in all the things you have wrote.

That’s ok, I don’t actually think you’re a WUM, I think you’re one of these people who rely to much on stat nonsense.

Read a few of the posts in this thread.

But don’t come back spouting nonsense about stats unless you are willing to back up everything you say.

The wager still stands only if you really believe everything you have wrote.
I won't bother posting anything. You clearly can't get into an argument without calling people a WUM or a Top red. Good day to you

JK-27

We need to get through out next 6 games in the next round of the FA cup, next round of CL and still 2nd in the league. Otherwise, it'll start be looked at as more of a failed season and more questions will be asked if he's the right man in charge.

We play Chelsea and liverpool at Old Trafford - he needs to produce in a big game against direct competitors for once. The FA cup is our last realistic chance at a trophy, while the CL you just hope to stay in as long as possible, but certainly at least until we face one of the clear best 5 or 6(barca, City, psg, Bayern, madrid, Juve).
100% agree with this.

Another thing I would point out is that having Jose has allowed us to get the players we have got. I don't believe Pogba, Ibra, Lukaku, and probably Sanchez would have come to Utd if Jose wasn't our manager. Some might say Sanchez came for money but I don't agree, he could have stayed at Arsenal until the summer then gone to City, or any other big club and made more money, but I think he does believe we have a good chance in the CL because we have Jose. Don't under estimate Jose's pulling power.

haram

None.

Mourinho has not improved us one bit. Spending a fortune on players has. But not much. We look like an uncoached group of individuals. Watching Spurs play tonight it's depressing to see how much better they are than us.
Our forwards are scoring more compared to last year though? Lingard does not exist? Do you think Spurs are behind us in the league by playing like that every week?

All we have done is bring Matic into the team in place of Herrera who was good last year, and replace Ibra with Lukaku. All I hear is Lukaku is a donkey but somehow we have improved going forward?

BigdaftGorby

This is my original post, not even aimed at you

This is where you butt in, bringing in all the stats and shots on goals, conceded yadda yadda, patronising me using stats

This is where you go all emo

This is me saying I support my manager, until he has proven he's not up to the job

And without knowing me, you accuse me of top Red and a Wum.

I won't bother posting anything. You clearly can't get into an argument without calling people a WUM or a Top red. Good day to you
Yet you feel the need to explain yourself.

Stop whittering nonsense.

It still stands. If We finish 2nd I will deactivate my account.
If we don’t you do the same. Just remember you’re the one who said I should bet my house on us not finishing second, and you’re the one who keeps rolling out the “we are 2nd” as an argument.
And now you’ve bottled it.

But you won’t because you’re all waffle. I’m not the only one of accusing you of top red syndrome.

If you truly believe in everything you’ve wrote you will snap up my bet. But again you won’t. Thinking you’ve took the high ground.

You’ve embarrassed yourself son.
Log off. Do yourself a favour.

Last edited:

Richrip

Fair to say he has improved us but there’s plenty of improvement left......

We are better under him for sure but not where we want to be and not where we should be with the players at his disposal.

Based on the players and Finanaces available and performances and results on the pitch
I’d say Pep definitely Poch and Klopp arguably are all out performing Mourinho.

I think he’s doing great off the pitch but I firmly believe Spurs Liverpool and City are getting more from the playing staff than Utd do and the buck has to stop with the manager.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Fecking drama queens.
This is the same club that finished 7th and struggled to even participate in the Champions League after Fergie left.

As long as the club is improving and is in the right direction, y'all need to shut up. People get greedy and want to win the league straight away, that's why They're butt hurt. They're envious of City. What else is better than to talk shite about the players and the manager for them?

You could judge Jose next season.

Last edited:

Pyro19

The way I see it :-

He's steadied the ship and now we need to find a new captain to take it forward.

I wanted Jose to do well here but his archaic style of football isn't going to make us into Premier league contenders any time soon. Time to find a manager with a different vision now that we have a decent squad.

Foxbatt

He will get summer to get something going and if we do not win either the PL or the CL next season then he will be gone. But the bigger question is who will replace him?
Would United pay an outstanding fee and sign Pep?

BigdaftGorby

Just watching other teams play away from home in the CL, I cannot ever imagine us currently playing with the same attacking intent despite us having the players to do so.
He will do what he always does, sit back, try to pinch a goal, try to get another on the break. Problem is when they score first. Liverpool will have the added bonus of resting players in preparedness for playing us.

PandasAreFat

A large part of the criticism seems to be aimed at his seemingly overly pragmatic style ie). stressing off ball organization and neutralizing the opponents strengths as opposed to attacking their weaknesses.

The problem with this criticism, I feel, is that it aims to discredit a style of play that has been largely successful up until this point. The notion that it’s ineffective against teams that play with a high block is simply incorrect. With Real Madrid and Inter, two of his biggest achievements have come against a Barcelona side that most will agree perfected that style. With the right personnel, it works very well, and that’s the problem with this current side.

With Real Madrid, Inter and his first spell at Chelsea he took charge of teams that had either been champions or finished second the season prior and for which the backbone of the team was already in place. When it wasn’t (Chelsea), the market was such that it effectively allowed for 9 players to come in, 5 of whom went straight into the first team.

Manchester United finished 7th, 4th and 5th in the respective seasons before he took charge. Wayne Rooney was still our captain and we had brought in 20 players over the past 3 years, only two of whom are good enough to be starting regularly this season (Martial and Mata). With us back in the Champions League and currently 2nd, I can’t help but feel that he’s done tremendously well. The recent criticism he’s received has been due the fact that our form has dipped recently what with the individual defensive errors (largely a symptom of Bailly’s injury imo) and due to Pogba not being able to exert his influence in a midfield two.

Pogba’s position in a two largely worked in the earlier parts of the season against the weaker sides (Newcastle being one of them) but as the season has progressed and with fatigue accumulating especially with regards to Matic, his lack of defensive nous is becoming more and more apparent. Our lack of solutions to this problem, what with injuries to Herrer and Fellaini in our last game and Pogba being partnered with Lingard in a 3 against Tottenham haven’t helped either.

One solution would be to bring in another midfielder who can win the ball, recycle or play it from deep and provide cover to play alongside Pogba and Matic ( a replacement for Carrick, which José has alluded to).

I understand the disappointment expressed by a lot of us here, but the signs are that this is certainly headed in the right direction and with Jose’s record in the transfer marker I’ve reason to be confident that most of the deficiencies in our squad will be addressed come summer.

Reactions: Penna

Hamadovich86

Just watching other teams play away from home in the CL, I cannot ever imagine us currently playing with the same attacking intent despite us having the players to do so.
Its disheartening quite frankly. I cant believe how much better these other teams play, not in terms of results because but the style of play. We play like cowards quite frankly.

Mourinho's job is on the line in the sense that he will be sacked if he doesnt make top 4, CL football is the new minimum requirement since Fergie left which is terrible imo.
I dont expect us to fall so far behind that we miss out on the CL but I can see us dropping from 2nd and fighting it out with the other teams. The requirement for next season has to be raised, it has to be the Premier League or bust if Jose cant deliver on that then he should be gone.

Thisistheone

We've clearly improved under him. We've been 2nd practically all season.

It just doesn't help Jose when we have to watch the likes of Spurs and Liverpool playing exciting, modern attacking football, possibly finishing above us, after spending less. Makes being patient even more of a virtue. Then there's City breaking all sorts of records...

Baxter

He's done an okay job, but I wouldn't be arsed in the slightest if he was to leave in the summer. It won't happen, but I think the high pressure approach of most top teams is something that Mourinho's tactics cannot really cope with. Further to that, the thing that annoys me most about the way we play is just how bad we are at pressing the opposition.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think the Jury is out at the moment. THere's clear progress but also the same mistakes being made over and over and it's reached a point where the progress can't go any further without this being addressed. Some pretty basic problems with how we play compared to other good sides (and I'm not even talking about tactics, just really basic stuff like work rate and organisation).

It's hard to have an objective discussion about Jose on here though, due to the people who will just ignore basic logic in order to blame him for everything they can.

I mean if you watch a player very clearly refusing to do what the manager has told him, and having to be subbed off, I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that the reason the same player played badly, in the same game, is because he was doing what Mourinho told him and therefore it is Mourinho's fault.

People have actually been criticising him for playing Sanchez in his preferred position, while at the exact same time roaming into another thread and criticising Mourinho again for NOT playing Pogba in what they have decided is his best position. No hint of irony at all.

Kag

Clear progress is an increasingly baseless definition.

We're currently playing worse football now than any any point during his time here. The best football we player was in October 2016. We've also bought a host of very good footballers, none of whom are playing to the best of their ability.

If clear progress is sitting second by a couple of points (soon to change), having been dismantled by just about every top side we've faced, then some of you lot are in for a shock when this gets worse.

We're going backwards at the moment. Our first team on paper is making progress (which is what happens when you splash a fortune on players), but the quality of our attacking football remains relentlessly shite. Even defensively, where we were looking very strong, we have started to fall to pieces. This is because we have plumped Matic - who gets away with murder on here - in the centre of midfield, almost on his own, and allowed other teams the opportunity to get at us at will. Matic has also been quite shite (bought by Mourinho) and nowhere near as good at sniffing out danger as the currently much-maligned Herrera was in the same role last season (another Mourinho decision).

I look at our team and I just don't understand what it is he's trying to do. Young at left back, Matic floundering around like an oil tanker, Martial playing wide right, Pogba in two man midfield against other three man midfields. Progress? Nah. I'm struggling to get on board.

Hawks2008

Clear progress is an increasingly baseless definition.

We're currently playing worse football now than any any point during his time here. The best football we player was in October 2016. We've also bought a host of very good footballers, none of whom are playing to the best of their ability.

If clear progress is sitting second by a couple of points (soon to change), having been dismantled by just about every top side we've faced, then some of you lot are in for a shock when this gets worse.

We're going backwards at the moment. Our first team on paper is making progress (which is what happens when you splash a fortune on players), but the quality of our attacking football remains relentlessly shite. Even defensively, where we were looking very strong, we have started to fall to pieces. This is because we have plumped Matic - who gets away with murder on here - in the centre of midfield, almost on his own, and allowed other teams the opportunity to get at us at will. Matic has also been quite shite (bought by Mourinho) and nowhere near as good at sniffing out danger as the currently much-maligned Herrera was in the same role last season (another Mourinho decision).

I look at our team and I just don't understand what it is he's trying to do. Young at left back, Matic floundering around like an oil tanker, Martial playing wide right, Pogba in two man midfield against other three man midfields. Progress? Nah. I'm struggling to get on board.
I feel much the same as you, I can't remember us ever being this disjointed. I don't want to shit on the manager but I genuinely cannot see what he is trying to do in terms of tactics/approach. I know we've been top 2 for most of the season but our bad run of form has come at a time when Liverpool and Spurs are taking it up a gear and I don't know if we're gonna stay ahead of them for much longer. Being 2nd behind a freak City I can give a pass for, but when we had a solid buffer between us and the likes of Spurs, Liverpool, and Chelsea to end up letting them back in is poor to say the least. He's done well to arrest the post-SAF but how he ends this season will show a lot about how far he can take us.

Esquire

Fecking drama queens.
This is the same club that finished 7th and struggled to even participate in the Champions League after Fergie left.

As long as the club is improving and is in the right direction, y'all need to shut up. People get greedy and want to win the league straight away, that's why They're butt hurt. They're envious of City. What else is better than to talk shite about the players and the manager for them?

You could judge Jose next season.
Hang on mate. He came two seasons ago. You could say yes, he should have been given all the leeway in his first season cause he inherited clearly non-United standard players. He’s now had 4 transfer windows getting in the likes of Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez and Matic. Yes we are second but you can see we still have too many rough patches in many manifestations (player under performance, lack of fight, tactics, etc.). Many have said (I think Mou himself also) said we were going to challenge for the title this year. Now, granted, Shi**y is playing out of their skin but it’s the style, the tactics the lack of courage in big games which irk many people. I still like Mou and will support him when he is in the captain’s chair but the team is failing too many “eye tests”. I think even the most ardent Mou supporters will need to concede there are still quite a few structural/fundamental issues he needs to address ,but seemingly because of his ego, seems not to address when the most casual of observers can spot? Don’t you agree?

Esquire

I feel much the same as you, I can't remember us ever being this disjointed. I don't want to shit on the manager but I genuinely cannot see what he is trying to do in terms of tactics/approach. I know we've been top 2 for most of the season but our bad run of form has come at a time when Liverpool and Spurs are taking it up a gear and I don't know if we're gonna stay ahead of them for much longer. Being 2nd behind a freak City I can give a pass for, but when we had a solid buffer between us and the likes of Spurs, Liverpool, and Chelsea to end up letting them back in is poor to say the least. He's done well to arrest the post-SAF but how he ends this season will show a lot about how far he can take us.
See my post right below yours. I think we just need to agree that he got what he has always been. He isn’t really a SAF who evolved. Hi style is actually patently obvious, the solid defence with the fast countering. It’s just that his philosophy is not translating to the players’ performances. We can’t all blame Mou, but he’s got to take a large slice of the blame for the way we are playing these days.

Champagne Football

This childish and cistly war he's having with Pogba is annoying me. Now is not the time to experiment with Pogba in a 2. He clearly can't do it in this moment. Play him in a 3 with McTominay and Matic when Fellaini is injured and if you want to try him in a 2 again then save that for preseason games against Beckhams Miami or whatever.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Hang on mate. He came two seasons ago. You could say yes, he should have been given all the leeway in his first season cause he inherited clearly non-United standard players. He’s now had 4 transfer windows getting in the likes of Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez and Matic. Yes we are second but you can see we still have too many rough patches in many manifestations (player under performance, lack of fight, tactics, etc.). Many have said (I think Mou himself also) said we were going to challenge for the title this year. Now, granted, Shi**y is playing out of their skin but it’s the style, the tactics the lack of courage in big games which irk many people. I still like Mou and will support him when he is in the captain’s chair but the team is failing too many “eye tests”. I think even the most ardent Mou supporters will need to concede there are still quite a few structural/fundamental issues he needs to address ,but seemingly because of his ego, seems not to address when the most casual of observers can spot? Don’t you agree?
I rest my case.

shield

I think our problems are because of the Pogba conundrum. Mourinho obviously needed a high quality, technical midfielder to get his strategy to work. A skilled player who can shrug off a few challenges and use his quick feet to beat a few players and start the counter. He thought he was getting that with Pogba, and he spent the bulk of last season (including EL + League Cup + FA cup) to groom Pogba into that CM role, but it has backfired and it has becaome clear that Pogba is just not that kind of a player. Matic was brought in to compliment Pogba.

So, his planning has failed, and now, he is left with a weak midfield, and a transfer window where we once again failed to strengthen our midfield. He is even having to rely on McTominay, a youth player and Mourinho would never have done that if his first choices were performing well.

I think, realistically, given the state of our midfield and also our back line, getting top 4 would itself be a huge achievement. As things stand, if no one steps up, I think we won't even make top 4.

I am not a fan of Mourinho, but I think he was just unlucky and needs another transfer window to sort things out. Also, buying players has become very difficult in today's market, where you have to shell out about 30M for average talent. So, only few players can be bought and if they don't work, then we have to wait for another year.

Jeffthered

Mourinho gives himself problems, because he is so stubborn, egotistical and arrogant. He could address the Pogba situation, easily and Pogba IS GOOD ENOUGH to warrant being played in a position that will the best out of HIM. That isn't being ' bigger than the club'.. that's just sensible. Every opposing team would fear a United with Pogba as an attacking midfielder plaaying against them. We have players who can play in the two.

It's all silly, and does nothing more than serve Mourinho's ego and need for coverage and debate with HIM in the centre of it all.

Now we have a game against Huddersfield, which if we were to lose, would create a whole heap of pressure on him, as well as the players and the club. And why? because he is too pig-ignorant and self-indulged to admit he has something, something tactical, clearly, clearly, clearly wrong.

You will see a nervous United team, and if we do not score early, or if we go behind, you will just sense the tension.

And sadly, aside from Sanchez, who can we look to, to take this game by the nuts and provide a platform for a solid, good quality performance?

The squad, for a Manchester United team, is still short. The manager has the team he wants, they play how he wants, he has signed the players he wants, and has got rid of the players he wants. The manager isn't getting the most out of any of the players there, and it is questionable whether we have really, substantially progressed this season. After £20m in wages, and gazillions in transfers, and with the core squad he has, then yes, I would expect more from Mourinho.

Status
Not open for further replies.