Jose Mourinho admits he is powerless to stop Marouane Fellaini leaving Manchester United

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
#saynotomegathreads

From the Independant -
Jose Mourinho has admitted that he is powerless to stop Marouane Fellaini from leaving Manchester United at the end of the season after the Belgian rejected a new contract from the club.

The 30-year-old is out of contract in the summer and despite the club’s attempts to keep him, he has so far snubbed everything that has been put in front of him and is free to negotiate with clubs in the January over his next move.
United will not entertain bids in January for Fellaini and Mourinho has revealed he has done all he can to persuade the midfielder to extend his stay at Old Trafford.

When asked if he was still worried about Fellaini’s departure, Mourinho said: “Yeah. It is a discussion between the player and the board. I'm not involved in contracts and deals, and I respect both.

“I respect the player because he has the right, has the right to decide his future, and I respect the board because the decisions and the discussions are under control.

“So I just wait wishing they will have an understanding but it's out of my control.”

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not one to worry about unduly really.
A useful player for the rest of the season, but we all know really that we need more quality.

He's probably already on ridiculous money, and it's probably more to do with playing more, which he can't really hope to do here.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I want to keep Fellaini but it wouldn't cause me too much heartbreak if he did decide to leave.

Andersons Dietician

So I just read a headline that PSG are the front runners for Fellaini :lol::lol::lol:

Hold on just read he wants 170k a week at OT. Jesus Christ, Lingard getting 100k seems to be opening up the flood gates. To put this in perspective Dybala gets 50k a week.

When did squaddies start being able to get so much. Nothing against Fellaini, he has his uses but it’s nothing that can’t be replaced or worth 170k.

Last edited:

yo@Kirk

McTominay will provide an adequate hoofball target. Nothing really for Mourinho to worry about.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Bizarre situation all round, ain't it.

I've got nothing against Fellers but you'd think he was something he obviously isn't looking at this «saga».

If he's that important to United it says alot about where we are at the moment.

PieCrust

He should go. He's not good enough really, although I have nothing against him, can never doubt his effort or fight for the club when he's on the pitch. But I'm sure he's tried of being a squad player and he'd like the chance to play more reguarly again.

Good luck to you fluffy.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
McTominay seems to be a better passer and almost as good in the air. He's also given a good account of himself whenever he's played.

If Fellaini goes then it's not a big deal.

dogwithabone

He’d be a great addition to a whole load of PL clubs, so many are crying out for a player like him. I wouldn’t be too fussed if he went and fair play to him how he has turned his United career around.

dannofdawn

Absolutely earned his place in the squad. But our CAM, CM and FBs are all ageing. If we want to win the league and be at the top again, we need to replace some of them with younger players with more quality and potential. Pobga is most likely 2-3 years from his prime, we need to find players who will hit their prime the same season. Fellaini, Herrera, Matic, Valencia, Young, Blind, Mhki, Mata and Darmian will all be too old by then.

Not saying we need to get rid of all of them this summer, but we need to start bringing in younger blood, and therefore some will have to go eventually. I think Fellaini and possibly Herrea see this and are just looking for what's best for their future. I don't know if we can afford for them to go for free, but I support them leaving the club at their own discretion.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
So I just read a headline that PSG are the front runners for Fellaini :lol::lol::lol:

Hold on just read he wants 170k a week at OT. Jesus Christ, Lingard getting 100k seems to be opening up the flood gates. To put this in perspective Dybala gets 50k a week.

When did squaddies start being able to get so much. Nothing against Fellaini, he has his uses but it’s nothing that can’t be replaced or worth 170k.
Not the point of this thread, but he signed a 7m euros per year contract so he's closer to about 180,000 a week.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Adios. Admired him for always giving his all, but am looking forward to 'hoof-ball' being less of a go to option when things are wrong.

Cliche Guevara

It’s probably the right time for him to go, and hopefully he plays his part for the remainder of the season.

I think it’s the wage that should go on a young project player. Someone who’s considered potentially World Class, but can be given a couple of seasons to cement a place in the team.

Andersons Dietician

Not the point of this thread, but he signed a 7m euros per year contract so he's closer to about 180,000 a week.
That’s probably right as I read that on a Lingard news story which would have been earlier this year. So Dybala has just recently signed a new contract has he? Still 135k a week. One of the best talents on the planet makes only 35k more than Lingard and Felli wants 170k. Erickson is on 70k deli on 60k Harry Kane is on 100k. Just insane some of the wages we pay.

Edit: just checked he signed a new deal in April at 113k a week.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
He will be forever associated with the Moyes experiment. As fans, we did not treat him properly, so easy to understand him wanting away. A free transfer gives him a pile of cash, so all the best to him.

Still grates me when he was booed at OT.

Sing you a song

It can only be about money , Fellaini has finally established himself at the club he has won ( most of the fans ) over he is loved by the manager but he is going to price himself out of a new contract with United no doubt join a second rate European club in Turkey and disappear off the Champs lge radar , money talks and in all honesty in this instance I don't honestly think we should be fighting to hard to convince him to stay he will be quickly forgotten

ash_86

I think Fellaini knows he's out of his depth here. He gets butchered every time he puts a foot wrong and rightly so. I could see him finding a mid level club , where he would be appreciated more, and one where he doesn't look out of depth. He doesn't look like a money man, so his last contract must be about playing regularly, earning decent money and somewhere most of the team are his level.

I thought he gave his 100% every time he played for us. So good luck to him

Mcking

Bring in Goretzka. But Herrera should really be the one leaving as he doesn't satisfy Jose's fetish for 6ft midfielders IMO. #Caflogic.

Smithy_123

I'd prefer to keep him, but wouldn't be all that bothered if he left.

I think most are going to be apathetic.

dichinero

I never thought there would be a day when there would be a concern over the uncertainty of the future of a player like Fellaini

Mcking

I think PSG should go in hard for him. Will be the perfect foil for Neymar, Cavani and Mbappe

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
It’s a strange one really. He’s quite clearly good enough for Manchester United post Fergie-era, and he’s contributed positively in his time here.

Yet it’s painfully obvious that he has no place in a team at the level we should aspire to. For all his prowess, he’s just too limited a footballer to make a significant contribution at the highest level. I think that’s why so many fans struggle to appreciate what he does for us: Even if he’s nowhere near the biggest problem in our team, he’s the most obvious, in your face example of how far we’ve fallen.

His contributions are severely under appreciated, but I won’t shed a tear if he leaves come summer. Hopefully we’ll aim to improve our squad by replacing him with someone with a more exciting skill set.

iHicksy

Look, he's a great asset as a battering ram in the front line when we really need a goal. However, more often than not he comes on in the centre mid position as a defensive option and he's an absolute liability as his positional awareness is terrible and he has the turning circle of a small holiday resort. Him going means that we'll never have to have him come on in a midfield two again, which means in his place, we'll have a capable and more complete centre midfielder. We'll lose his effectiveness to get a goal, which is actually a massive blow, but we'll also be losing a huge liability when it comes to actually playing football through the centre of the park or trying to defend a lead, and for that reason I think him leaving will be a blessing in disguise. I love the guys attitude but I think we'll improve as a team without him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Adios. Admired him for always giving his all, but am looking forward to 'hoof-ball' being less of a go to option when things are wrong.
It is naive to think that we play hoof ball just because Fellaini is in the squad, as if we didn't when he was injured. If it takes a squad player leaving for us to improve, then something is wrong.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
The thing that gets me, is how easily posters think whats proven to be a useful squad member can be replaced. Before you all jump on me, hear me out. Spending money on a new player doesn't necessarily mean they'll have an automatic impact here.

Re; Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and to a lesser extent Herrera (1 good season in 4), were all tipped to make Fellaini a thing of the past, yet none achieved it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'd love it if we could bring in a replacement first, who then starts giving us performances, before we decide to ditch Fellaini.
I don't want to be in a position where we lose Fellaini and the replacement is also having a tough time settling his first year. (i.e. Lindelof)

edgar allan

It can only be about money , Fellaini has finally established himself at the club he has won ( most of the fans ) over he is loved by the manager but he is going to price himself out of a new contract with United no doubt join a second rate European club in Turkey and disappear off the Champs lge radar , money talks and in all honesty in this instance I don't honestly think we should be fighting to hard to convince him to stay he will be quickly forgotten
He is suing his boots sponsor for a few million also.....its all about the money.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
£170k a week? feck off Fellaini you toilet brush headed twat :lol:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’d be more than happy to keep him as a squad player, but on a squad players wage.

Christ, outside of maybe 8 or 9 midfielders in the word, you could sign pretty much anyone to fill his role on a £170k weekly wage!

Paul_Scholes18

crazy wage demands it seem. Ever since we gave Rooney that crazy contract it seem everyone else want to earn it as well. Kind of if someone performing as bad as Rooney can earn so much why can't I earn it. Then Lingard gets a too big contract and now Fellaini wants more.

We need to try to find cheaper player and grow them into higher quality!

Paul_Scholes18

Will other clubs pay this much for him though? I guess he could move to China or something.