Jose Mourinho admits he is powerless to stop Marouane Fellaini leaving Manchester United

kundalini

Since Fellaini joined United we have finished 7th, 4th, 5th and 6th in the PL, while winning the FA cup, the League Cup and the Europa League. At best he is a squad player who starts certain matches that the manager feels suits his strengths, as well as filling in when there are injuries. If he, and many of the other squad members whose contracts are coming towards an end over the next 18 months, feel they deserve high wages, then perhaps they should have put in the performances that would merit such a salary.

Offer him, and the other squad players, a low basic plus high bonuses for starting tons of games and if we win PL title etc. If they don't want to accept then fair enough.

Ventura

So we paid way too much and he's leaving for nothing. In the meantime we've been ... mostly unimpressive. Bad business, but time to move forward for the club.

Turamb

He has grown to become an important part of the team, and I'd like him to stay.
But if he goes, that opens up a spot to buy a more exciting player.

dichinero

Shows how far we've fallen in standards, a manager like Pep would've kicked the likes of Fellaini out day 1, yet we continue to entertain mediocrity.
He really does epitomise our fallen standards.

But on the other hand, if losing Fellaini would cause José to lose it, I'd rather we just keep. Ed, think of poor José's heart and sanity

RedDevil@84

He really does epitomise our fallen standards.

But on the other hand, if losing Fellaini would cause José to lose it, I'd rather we just keep. Ed, think of poor José's heart and sanity
Jose is not losing it over Fellaini.
Dont give new ideas to The Sun :D

Home&Away

Reckon both the cnuts are off to PSG & the small guy is taking his perfect player with him since he is a free. I really doubt fellaini would do this to go to Turkey or whatever. Either way - who actually cares? TFM & pereira should take these spots anyway.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The guy that everyone defends no end because he has such a good attitude..or something. Has the opportunity to be part of something in the next few years and gets plenty of game time, but would rather chase undeserved money.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sounds like the sort of thing he frequently said about Rooney last season.

"No...don't go...come back...."

Djemba-Djemba

Oh well. Cheerio.
My feelings too.

He's clearly got some character and he's done ok in the last year or so but he's not the kind of central midfielder I'd like to see playing every week for Manchester United. He's incredibly limited.

He'll have been here 5 years by the end of the season, he's won a decent number of medals. I wont look back on his time here with any great fondness but at least he's not been the outright disaster he threatened to be at various points.

It's a good time for him to leave.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
feck me, 170k a week, he's having a laugh.
Well, we are most likely offering a couple of years. Let's assume his new club would pay 70k/week, on a longer contract. So long as he gets a 10M signing bonus (absolute bargain) he is the one laughing all the way to the bank.

Sounds about right as a negotiating stance.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Well, we are most likely offering a couple of years. Let's assume his new club would pay 70k/week, on a longer contract. So long as he gets a 10M signing bonus (absolute bargain) he is the one laughing all the way to the bank.

Sounds about right as a negotiating stance.
Whichever team is willing to give him a 10m signing bonus is an idiot, that's far too much for what's needed to sign him.

ReallyUSA

Can't wait. I love him as a player, but our fans are gross when it comes to him. He has scored important goals while players like Ander, Mata, Mhki, Lingard, Martial go missing for a block of the season with the blame going on the managers. Where is the verification of this 170?

PepsiCola

Should fellaini go this summer it leaves us with a Pogba, Matic and Herrera (final year of contract) as our only midfielders.

Our squad will need a lot of work next summer.

poacher

Should fellaini go this summer it leaves us with a Pogba, Matic and Herrera (final year of contract) as our only midfielders.

Our squad will need a lot of work next summer.
But isn't it exciting to finally get rid of the deadwood? Imagine we had Jorginho or Savic or Jean Seri in the midfield instead of these average players. Some of our fullbacks and # 10s can leave with Fellaini. If we aspire to win titles we need to upgrade these poor to decent players.

Varun

Staff
We are more than generous with wages so if we're struggling on the amount here, I'd back the club and say adios.

PepsiCola

But isn't it exciting to finally get rid of the deadwood? Imagine we had Jorginho or Savic or Jean Seri in the midfield instead of these average players. Some of our fullbacks and # 10s can leave with Fellaini. If we aspire to win titles we need to upgrade these poor to decent players.
It is an exciting prospect to bring in some talent, but I'm not going to get overly excited.

Imho next summer we need a striker (replace ibra), Rw, 2 CMs, LB and RB. Then we have players like Mata, Herrera on their final year and talk of mkhi leaving.

That's a lot of players we need to bring in. We struggled to bring in 4 this summer as the board wouldn't spend OTT amounts for perisic.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It is an exciting prospect to bring in some talent, but I'm not going to get overly excited.

Imho next summer we need a striker (replace ibra), Rw, 2 CMs, LB and RB. Then we have players like Mata, Herrera on their final year and talk of mkhi leaving.

That's a lot of players we need to bring in. We struggled to bring in 4 this summer as the board wouldn't spend OTT amounts for perisic.
There is a lot of players needed. A striker isn't though. We have the cover for that, specially for one more season. Could reassess that after next. I'd say RB can wait another too, with LB being the priority. Jose said he'll be looking to promote McTominay I think...so one backup cm, and lb/10/rw world class or close to. Still not easy. If we can buy one of those in Jan it will look less daunting though.

Ace of Spades

Meh, thanks for everything but won't be shedding tears to see him go.Get Periera in the squad and along with McTominay we will have adequate CMs in the squad.

More importantly need a top AM, LB and RB. A RW would also be good.

Mindhunter

I won't be complaining for sure. While he brings a unique skillset and a plan B to games (not always effective) he is still a grade below what we should aspire to be in the long run.

If he is making more demands that the club is willing to fulfil then it is best this way. We should instead get in some young players with hunger and better technique.

Abizzz

who will actually give him a better deal than us, excluding china?
No one I know of. I can't believe any Turkish club would break the bank for him like they may have done for the likes of Sneijder previously, and the other european clubs that could afford it won't be looking to make Fellaini one of their top earners. I wouldn't be surprised if he just wants to see how his role at OT plays out over the season, how many minutes he gets and in what kind of games. I could understand if he doesn't want to be the player who is brought on when other plans have failed for the rest of his peak years (and there's not many left for him). While being very useful he isn't good enough to be a main man in a team of the quality United aspire to be.

He's grown on me and I respect his attitude very much, but it might just be best for both sides to part ways after the season.

prtk0811

I dont see much into it, just the agent trying to get few more quid in his contract. When the fans finally starting to praise him and accept him as a important player he wants to chicken out ? I dont belive this one bit.

Mourinho is the only manager which can make him play his best.

King.of.Red

I always like Fellaini especially his strong mentality but if it's true that he wants 170k/week then I'm fine if he decides to leave us because he doesnt deserve high salary like that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Bizarre situation all round, ain't it.

I've got nothing against Fellers but you'd think he was something he obviously isn't looking at this «saga».

If he's that important to United it says alot about where we are at the moment.
Can't help but agree with that. I mean, he has, at times, looked a decent player in his time here, but it's Fellaini. The guy is adequate at best. I'm surprised to see Jose showering him as much praise as he does, and the hoopla over his possible department.

I wouldn't be too bothered if he goes. I'm not even convinced that he's actually good enough for us and he's been here for some 4 years now.

amolbhatia50k

£170k a week? feck off Fellaini you toilet brush headed twat :lol:
If this is the reason he's off and the story that the board refused to pay the asking fee for Perisic is correct then I'm happy that the club has started taking these decisions.

Micky Targaryen

Don't really get the hate for Fellaini. Yes, he's a player with a limited skillset but very useful nonetheless. Dominant in the air, great chest control, shields the ball very well. A very good option to have off the bench. A top professional as well. Never sulking or complaining in the media even when he's being made the scapegoat countless times. There are other players that we should offload rather than big Felli.

Would love to keep him at our club but won't begrudge him if he does move on.

Reactions: Varun

amolbhatia50k

He will be forever associated with the Moyes experiment. As fans, we did not treat him properly, so easy to understand him wanting away. A free transfer gives him a pile of cash, so all the best to him.

Still grates me when he was booed at OT.
The booing is wrong and I won't disagree with that. But in general I don't think United fans have treated him badly. You have to contextualize the whole situation with the stature of the club. Imagine Fellaini at Bayern clumsily stomping around the pitch misplacing passes and messing up his first touch. He'd get a terrible reaction. United fans, if anything, are too concern and judge mental over their own behavior. Every big club would have detested someone like that playing like that at their club.

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons
I’ve never been a fan. Good player in certain situations but hardly anyone to lose sleep over if he does leave