Jose Mourinho admits he is powerless to stop Marouane Fellaini leaving Manchester United

Pelé as a Comedian

Supports
Liverpool
No need for 2 even if he goes. Matic, Pogba and Herrera are staying. We’ll need a new, starting XI quality CM which will make it 4. Then we have the returning Pereira and McTominay as 5th and 6th. That’s enough depth and quality for a team that only rarely needs to play with 3 midfielders anyway. Any other arrival would require more departures than just Carrick and Fellaini
I just cant wrap my head around Man Utd fans who think this. Mate, Carrick is gone, Fellaini going and Herrera is woefully out of form. Your 2 best midfielders operate best in a midfield 3, can't play every minute of every game, and you don't think you need 2 new CMs because of your youth players? I'd say you need 3 CMs if you want to be confident going into next season to challenge on all levels/competitions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rajma

Feel bad for him as recurring injuries can be a real pain, but he's made a real error not re-signing. He could end up jobless and having to take some low ball offer.
Dug a hole for himself by holding us to ransom the only time he's shown the signs of real contribution perfectly realising that he isn't worth anything near close to those amounts. No sympathy from me and hopefully he leaves us in the summer by taking his own route.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Not sure why you think Herrera is incapable of following the manager's instructions..
It's nothing to do with following the Manager's instructions, he's just got a tendency 'in a two' to ball watch, and chase after it needlessly throwing the shape out.

Stick him on to man-mark somebody and he'll do a good job for you, but that wasn't needed on Wednesday

crossy1686

career ending
Dug a hole for himself by holding us to ransom the only time he's shown the signs of real contribution perfectly realising that he isn't worth anything near close to those amounts. No sympathy from me and hopefully he leaves us in the summer by taking his own route.
I don't understand why the Caf's gone soft all of a sudden. Like we're the home of unwanted orphans and abandoned children. First Mkhitaryan, now Fellani.

The fact Fellani didn't sign the contract he was offered at the start of the season, despite being injured, shows just how bright the guy really is. No one should be feeling sorry for him. Some other mugs (West Ham) will pay him handsomely once he leaves us.

crossy1686

career ending
I just cant wrap my head around Man Utd fans who think this. Mate, Carrick is gone, Fellaini going and Herrera is woefully out of form. Your 2 best midfielders operate best in a midfield 3, can't play every minute of every game, and you don't think you need 2 new CMs because of your youth players? I'd say you need 3 CMs if you want to be confident going into next season to challenge on all levels/competitions.
Expecting us to go all out on at least one midfielder, use Pereira when he comes back from Valencia, one other youth player and sign a backup, someone else's cast off, aged 30+.

Siorac

What's pointless about replacing Pogba(who had an absolute mare) with a guy he can trust to stay disciplined and hold his position alongside Matic when it was obvious we were getting over-run in midfield ? Not sure how Herrera running about like a headless chicken would've helped us
That's something Fellaini is really, really bad at, actually. I can understand those who say he at least gives 100% every time but positional discipline in central midfield is one of his big weaknesses.

poleglass red

That's something Fellaini is really, really bad at, actually. I can understand those who say he at least gives 100% every time but positional discipline in central midfield is one of his big weaknesses.
I'd agree with that. He was brought in recently think it was v Burnley to see game out and near cost us a goal by trying a silly flick in the middle of the park.Possession was key in those final moments.

MadMike

Depends on if we are getting Griezmann or not. If we arent then I would us to push Pogba to play the #10/advanced attacking mid role and have a box-to-box new CM and Matic behind him. In that case, we need two CMs to have a back up to Matic so Perreira, Herrera and new CDM can be part of the 2nd unit while McTominay being an option as well.
We're not getting Griezmann after getting Sanchez. I mean that much is obvious.

Herrera can be the back up to Matic and Pereira to the Box-to-Box mid. I still don't see the the need for another CDM in the short term. And if we get 2 CMs the chance of Pereira staying here to be 6th CM, based on his decision making so far, must be practically 0. So the configuration you're describing is practically impossible. Because in that case we'd have to buy a 3rd CM to replace Pereira too, who's a gonner.

MadMike

I reckon we need 4 CMs, maybe 5.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
We're not getting Griezmann after getting Sanchez. I mean that much is obvious.

Herrera can be the back up to Matic and Pereira to the Box-to-Box mid. I still don't see the the need for another CDM in the short term. And if we get 2 CMs the chance of Pereira staying here to be 6th CM, based on his decision making so far, must be practically 0. So the configuration you're describing is practically impossible. Because in that case we'd have to buy a 3rd CM to replace Pereira too, who's a gonner.
Herrera cant be backup CDM. This has been proven. Nor can Perreira.

Pogba

New CM - Matic​

Perreira

Herrera - New CDM​

MadMike

Herrera cant be backup CDM. This has been proven. Nor can Perreira.

Pogba

New CM - Matic​

Perreira

Herrera - New CDM​
I don't know about "proven", that's entirely your opinion. We played with Herrera as DM all of last season. Did alright too. Might not be as good as Matic, but that's exactly the point of back up.

And like I said, I don't believe we'll be playing that formation in the majority of the games. So I doubt we'll build full redundancy for that.

And in that formation, Pogba's sub is likely not Pereira but Lingard. Which is what would likely push Pereira out the door if we get 2 CMs.

Class of 63

Sourness
Strange that he had the biggest clubs on the planet looking at him for that very thing when he was an 18yr old at Standard Liege, that and his strength

Devil may care

Agreed, if Jose isn't planning a full time 4-3-3 next season then we might as well give up before we start, he needs to accept what Pogba is and stop trying to change. So with that said we need another starting #8 who Herrera can cover and a DM to compete/cover with Matic who has been poor for weeks now and looks shattered already only half a season in. McTominay is nowhere near good enough and I doubt Pereira will come back.

Siorac

Strange that he had the biggest clubs on the planet looking at him for that very thing when he was an 18yr old at Standard Liege, that and his strength
Yeah, we had been looking for, and even had signed Memphis Depay who turned out to be shite at pretty much everything we asked of him in the end. So that's not much of an argument. Our scouts may have thought he was good at this at 18 but anyone who actually watched him at United will be able to tell you he's not.

buckooo1978

he's tried hard but I'd be gutted if he stayed... it would obviously be at the expense of McTominay or another player who would contribute a lot more

I've a lot of affection for the big lad but at a fundamental level he lacks the technical ability to play for a team like Manchester United - our backup squad midfield players over the years technically had more about them

he is a decent option in the last 10 mins if we are chasing the game and he has immaculate chest control but not much else - thats not worth the 180k a week hes adter and he owes it to himself to go somewhere where he can make an impact for the rest of his career

Ubermensch

The love-in on here has always baffled me. Despite his completely underwelming 'contribution' over the past 5 years - 101 league appearances, 11 league goals - on the face of it now, he's a 30 year old with dodgy knees.
Worst players in my lifetime to make 100+ appearances. Get rid.
Bloody hell, I was in the 'he has been decent' camp because for some reason I thought he had been good for 5-7 league goals a season. That's a terrible return. He deceived me:(

Red For Ever

Bloody hell, I was in the 'he has been decent' camp because for some reason I thought he had been good for 5-7 league goals a season. That's a terrible return. He deceived me:(
I agree, but being an integral part of the Moyes and LVG era is never going to get him to a place that will get a lot more goals.

Maybe if he could have been at the end of all those Crosses

extincti fugax hominum

Hopefully Jose is powerless enough to stop him leaving. I defended him since he came to the club, liked and praised his fighting spirit and his immaculate attitude and was very happy for him when he proved the hyperbolic critics wrong and earned a place in the team but he really annoyed me with this contract situation. Not to mention the fact that we could do much better than him. I hope we replace him with a midfielder who is actually good on the ball with a strong physique.

L1nk

What's pointless about replacing Pogba(who had an absolute mare) with a guy he can trust to stay disciplined and hold his position alongside Matic when it was obvious we were getting over-run in midfield ? Not sure how Herrera running about like a headless chicken would've helped us
My point was considering how the midfield battle was going, we needed more tenacity and bite in the midfield, Fellaini is just slow and lumbering, hence Herrera would of been the better option as a sub in the first place. Herrera has been off the boil slightly this season in comparison to previous but I'm pretty sure he can follow a managers instructions.

Class of 63

Sourness
Yeah, we had been looking for, and even had signed Memphis Depay who turned out to be shite at pretty much everything we asked of him in the end. So that's not much of an argument. Our scouts may have thought he was good at this at 18 but anyone who actually watched him at United will be able to tell you he's not.
He's hardly played in his 'natural' DM position at Old Trafford so i'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion.

Class of 63

Sourness
My point was considering how the midfield battle was going, we needed more tenacity and bite in the midfield, Fellaini is just slow and lumbering, hence Herrera would of been the better option as a sub in the first place. Herrera has been off the boil slightly this season in comparison to previous but I'm pretty sure he can follow a managers instructions.
It's the change I would've made(i'd have made it sooner though), and Mourinho(for all his faults)did made, so there

Herrera shouldn't have needed instructions, it was, or should've been obvious what was needed, were not talking about the Dog and Duck reserve side here.

manunited1919

McTominay was never meant to get any first team football this season, he didnt even go to the pre season tour with the first team in the summer.

Mourinho told Periera not to go out on loan as he planned on using him this season, Periera didnt agree with Mourinho and said wanted regular football which meant Mourinho had to go into the reserves to promote a centre mid to take Periera's place.

I reckon had Mourinho know that Periera was gona go on loan last minute he would have kept TFM from going on loan to CP. But that was not possible because TFM agreed his loan deal with CP much before Periera left.

Yes he did go on preseason, even scored a goal.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...ster-united-goal-in-tour-win-v-valerenga.aspx

stevoc

Fellaini isn't exactly famous for his midfield discipline. It's one of the reasons he doesn't really work in a midfield 2.

He's hardly played in his 'natural' DM position at Old Trafford so i'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion.
To be fair theres a reason for that mate. Mourinho and Van Gaal both tried him there. To be fair to the guy he just isn't really suited to playing in midfield certainly not in a 2 anyway. At least i don't think it's his best position, a free role between the striker and midfield is where he would be at his best.

L1nk

At this point we do seem to be practically begging him..

VanHaal'sRedArmy

In spite of his public pleas to sign an extension, I don't think Fellaini's in Jose's good graces... Fellaini seems uncommitted whenever he's been on the pitch and his relationship with Mourinho has been rocky at best.

El Jefe

Mourinho really has become a dinosaur.

I like Jose and I'm happy for him to remain here but truth be told if Felli became available on a free transfer none of our rivals or teams just below our level would be in for him. The only person that seems to be treating Fellaini's contact stalling as a saga is Mourinho. The fans, rivals and even the media are all pretty 'meh' about it because its just Fellaini.

He seems to be the only top manager who puts faith in a Fellaini like player. Most managers value ball possession and excellence on the ball, judging from our shit show on Wednesday its so clear to see why he's such an important player considering we have little interest in creating passing moves.

Greck

Since when did Jose start begging players to stay? He always said anyone that wants to leave can leave. A longball target shouldn't be this essential. I want him to stay but Barca/RM/Bayern get players to join them on lesser salaries and here we are begging Fellaini to reduce his wage demands

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Mourinho really has become a dinosaur.

I like Jose and I'm happy for him to remain here but truth be told if Felli became available on a free transfer none of our rivals or teams just below our level would be in for him. The only person that seems to be treating Fellaini's contact stalling as a saga is Mourinho. The fans, rivals and even the media are all pretty 'meh' about it because its just Fellaini.

He seems to be the only top manager who puts faith in a Fellaini like player. Most managers value ball possession and excellence on the ball, judging from our shit show on Wednesday its so clear to see why he's such an important player considering we have little interest in creating passing moves.
Maybe, just maybe, we cannot afford two 2 good CMs. Or Jose doesnt feel confident that we are able to buy two for other reasons.

Antonedwin

Karma for him holding us for ransom. The contract we offer must be lower than what he demand or even lower than his current , which is appropriate for squad player.
I am okay with him as squad player but now after his knee fecked again , he better leave quickly

diplomat

I can understand any form of well-argued criticism, but did anyone actually watch in what context Mourinho said this in the press conference?

L1nk

I can understand any form of well-argued criticism, but did anyone actually watch in what context Mourinho said this in the press conference?
"I told him yesterday: ‘Sign the contract and shut up,’” said Mourinho. “I told him: ‘Don’t gamble too much. Sign the contract before you know the extent of the injury.’ It is not an ACL, a complete rupture of any structure of the knee. But we need him, the Champions League is arriving [on 21 February] and lots of tough matches to play and probably we are going to lose him for a few weeks. Two, three, four or five, I cannot say at the moment.”

Basically arguing that he should sign the contract because if its a bad injury no one will sign him? I don't know, i can't stand this begging on an ageing, average, squad player though, utterly ridiculous.

diplomat

"I told him yesterday: ‘Sign the contract and shut up,’” said Mourinho. “I told him: ‘Don’t gamble too much. Sign the contract before you know the extent of the injury.’ It is not an ACL, a complete rupture of any structure of the knee. But we need him, the Champions League is arriving [on 21 February] and lots of tough matches to play and probably we are going to lose him for a few weeks. Two, three, four or five, I cannot say at the moment.”

Basically arguing that he should sign the contract because if its a bad injury no one will sign him? I don't know, i can't stand this begging on an ageing, average, squad player though, utterly ridiculous.
But did you see Mourinho's expression or only read the quotes? He was laughing, to me it looked like a half-joke and as if the situation doesn't bother him much anymore. It looked nothing like begging, in my opinion, could have actually been a hint to Fellaini that the board will not improve their current offer.

Class of 63

Sourness
Fellaini isn't exactly famous for his midfield discipline. It's one of the reasons he doesn't really work in a midfield 2.

To be fair theres a reason for that mate. Mourinho and Van Gaal both tried him there. To be fair to the guy he just isn't really suited to playing in midfield certainly not in a 2 anyway. At least i don't think it's his best position, a free role between the striker and midfield is where he would be at his best.
Fellaini had always played in a two, occasionally a three in midfield right up until Sir David Moyes pushed him up front, and that was only in an emergency, it's to his credit he did well there, but i'd still class him, and prefer him in a two in midfield. He doesn't fit/work alongside Pogba in a two, but that's a much on Pogba