g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jose Mourinho choice: Man Utd vs R.Madrid

marcomanmufc

Personally i think it'll be Utd, but Mendes is certainly playing a game with us.

I find it very interesting that the same evening Mendes comes out and says that there is no contact, the Madrid radio stations begin their onslaught of Jose to Real guff. If you think about it, given the situation Jose finds himself in he won't be able to command as much money, but with Mendes pulling the strings behind the scenes, he'll be able to achieve a lot more.

I do remember years ago seeing Ballague state that Mourinho wanted the Utd job, but not straight after SAF as that person would be on a hiding to nothing. Something which has certainly proved true with both managers in the hot-seat since.

I honestly think that the only way Mourinho will take the Real job is if he knows Utd are either going for Giggs or LVG is staying. Otherwise, he'll be the next Utd manager.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Personally i think it'll be Utd, but Mendes is certainly playing a game with us.

I find it very interesting that the same evening Mendes comes out and says that there is no contact, the Madrid radio stations begin their onslaught of Jose to Real guff. If you think about it, given the situation Jose finds himself in he won't be able to command as much money, but with Mendes pulling the strings behind the scenes, he'll be able to achieve a lot more.

I do remember years ago seeing Ballague state that Mourinho wanted the Utd job, but not straight after SAF as that person would be on a hiding to nothing. Something which has certainly proved true with both managers in the hot-seat since.

I honestly think that the only way Mourinho will take the Real job is if he knows Utd are either going for Giggs or LVG is staying. Otherwise, he'll be the next Utd manager.
You got any other good guys in your neck of the woods?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Because I believe he's the wrong man for the job, despite his past successes. I also find it hard to believe that United would be unable to attract a world class coach. It's one of the most desired jobs in world football.
How many world class coaches are left after Carlo, Pep, José and Simeone? The names of Blanc, Pochettino, Tuchel are inevitably brought up after the big 4, and:

1. Blanc - Why will he leave PSG when he is living in his native country and is surrounded by French culture, can spend loads and loads of money, has one of the top squads in Europe, and one of the best academies in Europe.
2. Tuchel - He has just joined Dortmund, and he will not leave. He was at Mainz for 5 seasons, and he will honor his contract at Dortmund. Plus, he's living in his country, has a great squad which is about to peak, and is managing in front of 80,000 crazed fans every other week at the Westfalenstadion.
3. Pochettino - No experience of managing in Europe, no experience of handling a team with title expectations, people talk of José's brand of football but Mauricio served up a lot of crap at both Southampton and Tottenham. Has no experience of managing at a top club, and fell out with his players at Espanyol. Plus, there have been murmurs of him craving a return to La Liga in the past.

It smacks of arrogance to presume that an endless conveyor belt of world class coaches will be anxiously lining up outside Old Trafford to take the United job when you let guys like Ancelotti join Bayern, and spurn top, top managers like José. That's the kind of entitled behavior which led us to the doors of David Moyes last time around, if the circumstances around his appointment according to Fergie are to be believed:
"It became apparent that Jose Mourinho had given his word to Roman Abramovich that he would return to Chelsea and that Carlo Ancelotti would succeed him at Real Madrid.

"We also knew that Jurgen Klopp was happy at Borussia Dortmund and would be signing a new contract.

"Unfortunately, somehow it didn't work out for David. The process was perfect. It was a good process."
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...s-david-moyes-was-sixth-choice-to-replace-him

We had the chance to replace Fergie with a top manager and atleast theoretically do whatever we could do within our means to ensure future success. But we spurned the opportunity while other clubs snapped up those managers. It's as if we're trapped in a continuum time vortex, because history is literally repeating itself with 3 of the best managers in Europe becoming available over the last few months. And we'll be repeating the same mistakes if we overlook one of them because he doesn't fit the 'ideal' demigod mold people have concocted in their heads.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
if you're Jose Mourinho and get offered both jobs, which one would you take?
Pros/Cons?
I think he'll go back to Real. Apparently Perez reached out to him already after they had sacked Ancelotti. He may feel he has some unfinished business to do in La Liga.

Crossie

Supports
I think he will be in Paris in the summer.
I don't think so. Not too long ago he said he wouldn't like to manage a club in a non-competitive league. Therefore Ligue 1 seems to be not of interest to him.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Sharing in here too

Mendes leak to put pressure on Woodward knowing the English press are all over LVG right now. Also reasserts the status of his client. Win win for him.

Crossie

Supports
Sharing in here too
The question is who those key players are (Ronaldo? Who else?) and if Perez cares enough about them to miss out on Mourinho now where he is easily available.

Revan

Assumptionman
Level of control - United
Quality of the team - Madrid
Ability to attract top players - Madrid
Not getting sacked for finishing just second - United
Not having been sacked in the past - United
Not having a total cnut of president - United

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Cons:

Real Madrid: Ronaldo

Pros:

Manchester United: No Ronaldo

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I see little reason for an elite manager to go to Real in the short term given Barcelona's strength and the growing need to renew the Real attack as Ronaldo starts to fade. Given the Real job is typically occupied for 1-3 years, it's the managerial job after the next one that you want to secure. That's when the currently unplayable Messi, Iniesta and Suarez will drop off and there will be an opportunity for whichever Real manager to strike while Barcelona are in transition.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
If it's a genuine choice between the two, then it'll be Madrid - nobody can ever resist Real Madrid, regardless of any logic involved.

f_to_z

United, he already trained Real Madrid and I think he would want a club as big as United in his managing CV. Plus if you go back and check some of his previous comments he always compliments United as a club and this shows his interest.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
If I was Mourinho: The club that offers more money.

United would take a lot of time to reshape, Madrid and him left on miffy terms. So it's gotta be the money.

MoskvaRed

The Madrid job is a hiding to nothing as they are up against a Barcelona side who (arguably) are even better than the side Mourinho tried to compete against four years ago. At United, he could win the league with 2-3 good buys.

Tyrion

No point in going back to Madrid with Barcelona's front 3 playing as they are. Too many seasons adjusting could ruin his reputation even more imo.
If United were his dream then going back to Madrid shouldn't be a option for him, its seemingly now or never if he wants the job
Pretty much this. I doubt that we will (and hope that we won't) be this desperate again while Madrid have a president who has questions marks against him and a Barcelona team which is far superior.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
“Of course it is easier to succeed abroad. You go to Spain and there are two big clubs; you go to Germany and they have one big club and a little bit more. In Italy now there is one big team, although obviously more than one big club. So it is easier to succeed."

Mourinho felt the same applied for players in an individual capacity, claiming it was easier to rack up astonishing records, which some may see as a sly stab at the records of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo at Barcelona and Real Madrid respectively.

“If you are an attacking player and go to Barcelona or Real Madrid, it is easier to score 50 goals than if you’re playing in England. Of course these clubs are a big attraction. You can’t blame a player," he added.

"As a manager I had that instinct, too. I wanted to go to Madrid myself. So if a player has that feeling it’s very understandable. But I keep thinking in my case, where I enjoyed most is where the competition is. It’s high here. If I was a player I wouldn’t leave the Premier League.”

“This is the opinion of somebody who has been here in this country and worked elsewhere. For me the situation is clear — the best place to develop is in the most difficult League," he said in an interview with the London Evening Standard.

“After that the best place to show how good you are is in the easiest League, not in the most difficult. In England, you don’t do 100 points, you don’t score 125 goals unless Manchester City can do it this season.

"But normally the evolution of a player needs difficulty and the difficulties help the development of a player. You reach your maximum with difficult situations. The big push comes. After that you have choices, stay in the most beautiful League to play or go where it is easier to succeed.

Let's see if he meant this.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
United for sure and Real Madrid is going to have a market ban anyway and with players getting old he wouldn't win anything. Anyway people have a very short memory when they forget bbc last year was better than msn, everything has to do with the current coach and Florentino is a bad coach.