Jose Mourinho questions Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's long-term impact at Manchester United

Dante

Average bang
Well, it gets bumped every time we win to. Was calling Jose’s opinions bitter and completely wrong not knee jerk as well?
It was.

Ole's bounce was temporary. We've not played with the same fluency for weeks. The playing style has reverted to type.

Now it's up to the manager to manage the team to better results. I'm confident he can, but Mourinho wasn't wrong to point out that new managers cause an "immediate change" that doesn't last.

The bitterness and knee-jerking in the first 8 pages of this thread was wrong and it deserves to be revisited.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Did Jose have a point?
He's always got a fecking point to prove hasn't he?

Under him our record would read: D14, W3. The match against PSG wouldn't have even happened. Remember ths guy went to Sevilla with the easiest draw in the UCL and played for a 0-0 thinking we could turn them over at OT, and sat back and watched them turn us over.

Against Wolves he'd have subbed Pogba for Fellaini, had Mata on for Martial and hauled Rashford off saying he looked sad!

Dante

Average bang
He's always got a fecking point to prove hasn't he?

Under him our record would read: D14, W3. The match against PSG wouldn't have even happened. Remember ths guy went to Sevilla with the easiest draw in the UCL and played for a 0-0 thinking we could turn them over at OT, and sat back and watched them turn us over.

Against Wolves he'd have subbed Pogba for Fellaini, had Mata on for Martial and hauled Rashford off saying he looked sad!
Jose did a shit job this season, and his tactics failed to get the best out of the squad. It was right to sack him, and I'd have done it even earlier.

Nobody is denying that.

But he's allowed to be correct with his opinions sometimes. It's bitter to suggest otherwise. And even more so to change the subject in order to flog a tangential agenda.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Jose did a shit job this season, and his tactics failed to get the best out of the squad. It was right to sack him, and I'd have done it even earlier.

Nobody is denying that.

But he's allowed to be correct with his opinions sometimes. It's bitter to suggest otherwise. And even more so to change the subject in order to flog a tangential agenda.
Of course he's entitled to his opinion. No one is precluding him that. It just comes across as sour grapes if your comment downgrades the impact of a new manager. He lacks grace,that's why his opinions are sought. The media love that so they can also shoot him down in flames. The problem with him is that, it was once seen as funny,whimsical,charming. Now it's cliched,outdated and crass.

He'll never learn

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It was.

Ole's bounce was temporary. We've not played with the same fluency for weeks. The playing style has reverted to type.

Now it's up to the manager to manage the team to better results. I'm confident he can, but Mourinho wasn't wrong to point out that new managers cause an "immediate change" that doesn't last.

The bitterness and knee-jerking in the first 8 pages of this thread was wrong and it deserves to be revisited.
Well not every manager causes an immediate change. Jose Mourinho himself, for example, when he took on the same job that Ole did.

And there’s a difference between a standard new manager bounce and the record breaking run we’ve seen since we got rid of Jose. Spinning that to be just a routine uptick due to managerial change is incredibly disrespectful to what Ole has achieved so will obviously piss people off.

RoyH1

Bitter, resentful man. Finished as an elite level club manager.

Dante

Average bang
Of course he's entitled to his opinion. No one is precluding him that. It just comes across as sour grapes if your comment downgrades the impact of a new manager. He lacks grace,that's why his opinions are sought. The media love that so they can also shoot him down in flames. The problem with him is that, it was once seen as funny,whimsical,charming. Now it's cliched,outdated and crass.

He'll never learn
But it's a downgrade from the upgrade of getting swept up in the moment.

Ole winning every match by 3 or 4 was never going to last. That was the upgrade. It was pointed out that it wouldn't. That was the downgrade. The two cancel each other out and so the original quote was the correct point of view to take.

Solskjaer still has a lot of work to do and we're only going to see his quality now that the new manager effect is going away. I love the guy so I've always been hopeful that he can.

The point is not to be knee-jerk in any direction. Don't be too anti-Jose or too pro-Ole to see the wood for the trees.

Varun

Staff
Well not every manager causes an immediate change. Jose Mourinho himself, for example, when he took on the same job that Ole did.

And there’s a difference between a standard new manager bounce and the record breaking run we’ve seen since we got rid of Jose. Spinning that to be just a routine uptick due to managerial change is incredibly disrespectful to what Ole has achieved so will obviously piss people off.
Guess its just convenient to wait for however long it takes before one can go "This is what I meant by long term". Utter bollocks

Dante

Average bang

I don't want to fall into the trap of defending Jose on everything. I'm hardly his biggest fan. I just think it's wise to temper reactions to things, even when we wish them to be true. And on that I agee with Mourinho, albeit for significantly less self-serving reasons.

Ole was never the greatest manager in history when we won every match by 3 or 4. And he's not under-qualified now that he's hit a blip.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't want to fall into the trap of defending Jose on everything. I'm hardly his biggest fan. I just think it's wise to temper reactions to things, even when we wish them to be true. And on that I agee with Mourinho, albeit for significantly less self-serving reasons.

Ole was never the greatest manager in history when we won every match by 3 or 4. And he's not under-qualified now that he's hit a blip.
It’s a fair point and - in a way - the bigger the new manager bounce the more damning an indictment it is of the previous boss. That’s always been my worry. How much is down to Ole being brilliant at getting players in the right mindset and how much was down to Mourinho absolutely wrecking their heads? Time will tell. Either way, Mourinho’s comments don’t shine any light on the situation so I don’t see the need to bump this thread if/when the team starts to underperform under Ole.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
But it's a downgrade from the upgrade of getting swept up in the moment.

Ole winning every match by 3 or 4 was never going to last. That was the upgrade. It was pointed out that it wouldn't. That was the downgrade. The two cancel each other out and so the original quote was the correct point of view to take.

Solskjaer still has a lot of work to do and we're only going to see his quality now that the new manager effect is going away. I love the guy so I've always been hopeful that he can.

The point is not to be knee-jerk in any direction. Don't be too anti-Jose or too pro-Ole to see the wood for the trees.
So now and not after the first PSG result? Or when we drew with Burnley at home?
The new manager effect wore off a while ago, and also we have had a lot of injuries etc of late.
I agree we are still getting to see what Ole is about (this is another test to see his ability to recover from a couple of bad results) but its disingenuous IMO to act like the new manager effect is only now going away.

Matt007a

This is why it’s important to wait until the end of the season before making the decision on OGS. We were never going to maintain the initial form after his takeover for ever. What he needs to do now is make sure we don’t go back to the quality of form under Mourinho.

I expect our form from now until the end of the season will be somewhere in between. Let’s see how things are in May and decide if he is the right man. I hope that he is.

JohnnyKills

This is why it’s important to wait until the end of the season before making the decision on OGS. We were never going to maintain the initial form after his takeover for ever. What he needs to do now is make sure we don’t go back to the quality of form under Mourinho.

I expect our form from now until the end of the season will be somewhere in between. Let’s see how things are in May and decide if he is the right man. I hope that he is.
Good post.

Member 93275

I can make this statement about 99% of the managers and I'd just have to wait in patience until the curve inevitably goes down at one point to claim how right I was. All teams have a curve of results - it's not about that it's about the mean value and Ole upped that.

Dante

Average bang
So now and not after the first PSG result? Or when we drew with Burnley at home?
The new manager effect wore off a while ago, and also we have had a lot of injuries etc of late.
I agree we are still getting to see what Ole is about (this is another test to see his ability to recover from a couple of bad results) but its disingenuous IMO to act like the new manager effect is only now going away.
I would have said the same thing on the day Jose's views were aired. I only posted here yesterday because others on the Caf were starting to come the same conclusion themselves in other threads.

We had an incredible post-Jose bump. That bump is now over. All of that is fair to bring up.

Where Ole goes from here is hopefully onwards and upwards. But the reality of his bump is that it happened and is worthy of being discussed, even though it was a point originally raised by the boogeyman.

Sterling Archer

I can make this statement about 99% of the managers and I'd just have to wait in patience until the curve inevitably goes down at one point to claim how right I was. All teams have a curve of results - it's not about that it's about the mean value and Ole upped that.
Shhh the cafe is in one of their bipolar swings. Let the weak self combust before you start talking so sensibly

Solver

True but I would still give him the job simply based on waking up a sleeping and badly mismanaged giant, and putting smiles on faces of all who love United. Even if he doesn't get the job, he's already set a wonderful base for whomever may be coming on

DownRiver

Wait, what if Mourinho was right all along? What if it was the players who are just not good enough? Last 4 games there is has been no difference to what we did with Mourinho.

If upgrading the players was the issue, would you want Mourinho back with a better squad? He did win the PL two years before he joined us and has the experience.

Not saying he should be back if this was the case, but just curious. After all, he did bring Lukaku, Pogba, Matic, Bailly, Lindelof etc. But that is because of our shit recruitment. His timehere he did play pressing and high energy tactics against Chelsea twice I think. However, he changed it because our defence were awful.

Just hope Ole gets a better set of players.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Wait, what if LVG and Moyesie were right too?

We should bring 'em all back just to be safe.

Sell everyone, bring back the Triumvirate!

Patrick08

What if it was the players who are just not good enough? Last 4 games there is has been no difference to what we did with Mourinho.
There is nothing new discovered here. Managers are only as good as the players.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Wait, what if Mourinho was right all along? What if it was the players who are just not good enough? Last 4 games there is has been no difference to what we did with Mourinho.

If upgrading the players was the issue, would you want Mourinho back with a better squad? He did win the PL two years before he joined us and has the experience.

Not saying he should be back if this was the case, but just curious. After all, he did bring Lukaku, Pogba, Matic, Bailly, Lindelof etc. But that is because of our shit recruitment. His timehere he did play pressing and high energy tactics against Chelsea twice I think. However, he changed it because our defence were awful.

Just hope Ole gets a better set of players.
Now this is a weird post, the squad that's left is the one Mourinho designed and Ole has milked it better than the guy that planned it.

Why would you want Mourinho over Ole to drive a Ferrari, when Ole was faster than Mou with both driving a BMW?

F miah

Coming from the man who can’t keep his job past 3 years.

We supported you Mourinho and you let the whole club down.

Toxic...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

No

While the squad clearly isn't perfect look what Mourinho did with the players that are some of the better ones. Mourinho's a short term manager and our board have decided they now don't want short term so it's simply just never going to work