Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Jose invested heavily over summer where other clubs were mostly dormant. He sanctioned Abraham and Shomurodov signings for close to 60 milions, and look at them now.

Unless he's somehow managed to make their squad weaker over summer despite spending huge amount of money for their standards, then he should have no excuses. Fonseca outperformed him in past two seasons, yet what he did was sackable offense. Surely standards should be even higher for Jose.
Fonseca sacking was inevitable, since the new owners bought Roma everyone knew Fonseca was a dead man walking, and things got out of control from there, because suddenly the power balance was completely torn apart.

His job was a bit sabotaged by key injuries (there were several games where they had to rely on Ibañez, a midfield of Valero and Diawara and a front three of Pedro, Perez and Mayoral), since Roma squad lacks quality in their depth, and he also sabotaged himself by suddenly implementing a 3 at the back formation, something he had never did before.

His Roma 2019/20 was a better version in terms of attacking football, even though their defending costed them a lot of points. The 3 at the back made them a less pressing team and less fun to watch.

Robbie Boy

He had 100M € of investment, something that they never had since the early 2000's. And Spinazzola was also injured in a lot of games last season, and he wasn't that much rated before the Euro. Dzeko signed for a superb contract, can't really blame him at 35 y.o. being pai so well.

The problems on Roma squad were strangely not addressed: the RB position wasn't fixed and they still lack a more aggressive midfielder and a center back with more awareness. I do think they spent strange money on players like Kumbula, Shomurodov or whatever his name is written and Viña who wasn't even a top left back at Palmeiras (he wasn't always the first choice).

Abraham was a bit overpriced, but that's usually the price bar for english players who play in the Premier League and I do think he's a good player, despite not being the most clinical striker.
Not too sure how much of Abraham you've seen, but his best attribute is literally his finishing. When he's not being clinical, he offers little else.

Ladron de redcafe

Lost Dzeko and Spinazzola who were their best players by some way. Zaniola hasn’t really kicked on either. They just look bereft of talent and the squad is paper thin. Abraham does so much good but his finishing has killed them.

Sad to see. Roma were always among my favourites growing up due to Totti, Batistuta, De Rossi etc. It’s a long way back for them and I can’t see Jose lasting long with that squad the way it is.
He spent a boatload and the team regressed. If the this team after his investments is "bereft" of talent, I'm not sure how we would describe last year's squad.

The expectations were much higher than this before the season, but just as he did in his last few jobs, Mourinho has under delivered and disappointed. If it continues, he is going to get sacked, just as he was from his last few jobs.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Jose's team will always have lot of holes as he is poor manager which means he will make squad look worse than it is.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
His management style and tactics was absolutely made for 2000s football. The game has changed so much and it’s rock paper scissored him out of existence and he just hasn’t been able to adapt.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Jose's team will always have lot of holes as he is poor manager which means he will make squad look worse than it is.
He is but it's sort of fecking insane how quickly his managerial career car crashed, and how far he has fallen in such a short space of time. There are far older, less successful managers who look more capable than him still.

Since the end of his second Chelsea spell, his career has nosedived. It can't just be the changing attitudes of players? So weird.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
His problem is he’s absolutely toxic and has got more and more bitter following every job he’s had. Then there’s the problem that he just rushes into another job without taking some time out so he’s mutated into this bitter, twisted old clown who’s a shadow of the charismatic genius he once was.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The trouble with Jose is that he's just a vile person. Constantly throwing players under the bus, petulant behaviour with officals and opposition managers and almost always leaves because he's created such a toxic environment. He says he's a changed man but he's still the same snivelling snake. He could get away with it in the past because he actually won trophies but now the game has passed him and he's incapable of winning anything.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Not too sure how much of Abraham you've seen, but his best attribute is literally his finishing. When he's not being clinical, he offers little else.
He's actually showing a bit of the opposite in a lot of matches: he has missed a generous count of easy goals, but I think he has a nice offball movement to escape the offside trap, his drible and speed are actually better than expected and he's actually very decent at finding space.

Some of those misses are about focus other are poor technical approaches. But he has a heavy weight on his back: he was hired to make Roma forget about Dzeko, and even tough last season Dzeko was a bit bellow average, the only advantadge that Abraham brought was a more energetic forward when compared to a veteran 35 y.o. Dzeko.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As many others points, I don't think he is toxic, but I think it's the leadrship style that he implements that just doesn't fit in the modern mindset.

He started his manager career in a very different context. Mid 2000's players were like little kids: always trying to escape physical training, talways trying to sneak into all night parties (see the examples of Ronaldinho, Cassano, etc) and the grassroots were quite bellow average back in the days (a lot of players couldn't even understand why a 3 man midfield would always control a game over a 2 man midfield).

He was basically showing them how to keep shape, how to create trigger pressing situations, etc. All those things were mind blowing at the time, all his players were in shock about how much knowledge this guy had. And the training had little to no "dead time": the physical training was "integrated" with ball exercises, making it more fun for footballers.

At this time, for that specific generations managers had to be leaders who give "tough love" and being somewhat like a tough drill Sergeant, and keep them in line all the time.

Nowadays players are different: they are very professional since young age, not only they always go training, they still do extra physical training trying to keep themselves in peak physical form, and most of them already know what zone pressure is, how to play in medium/low/high block, how to make zone defense on set pieces, etc. They mostly need to gain experience and being masterclassed to step into the next level. They will become fed up of Mourinho's leadership style very fast because they know they can do things more or less as they should be done since grassroots, things will not work out if they just outrun their opponents.

CraftySoAndSo

I think Mourinho and previously Fonseca have massively under performed with this squad. By no means is this a Scudetto challenging team but i feel there is certainly a very good core that if used and played to their capabilities can certainly push for top 4 imo.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They're underperforming somewhat in terms of resources (the good old wage indicator, for instance) - but that's nothing new (was the same before José arrived).

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think Mourinho and previously Fonseca have massively under performed with this squad. By no means is this a Scudetto challenging team but i feel there is certainly a very good core that if used and played to their capabilities can certainly push for top 4 imo.
Juve, Inter, Milan and Atalanta had better squads and Sassuolo overperformed last seasons many thanks to have a season without having injury problems on their key players.

CraftySoAndSo

Juve, Inter, Milan and Atalanta had better squads and Sassuolo overperformed last seasons many thanks to have a season without having injury problems on their key players.
I'm well aware which teams have more talented squads. But the point i'm trying to make is a core of Cristante, Zaniolo, Pellegrini, Abraham, Veretout, Mancini and previously Dzeko (although he did tail off at the end admittedly) and if you want to add players like Smalling and Kumbulla are not vastly inferior to core players in Atalanta and Milan for example, they are just better managed to get the best out of them.
Atalanta is a good example of this, Gasperini took a team of decent players who thrived in a system that's taken them from lower half Serie A to the top. Now this is a rare occurrence but shows imo that a good manager can get more out of an average team than an average manager can get out of a good team and there are many examples of this. And i think by now we can agree that Mourinho is not "world class" anymore and some might say mediocre now, and opinion on Fonseca is quite divisive. I just think the right manager can push what i feel is a fairly talented team higher and can compete with not necessarily beat, just get closer to the top 4 that's all.

Robbie Boy

He's actually showing a bit of the opposite in a lot of matches: he has missed a generous count of easy goals, but I think he has a nice offball movement to escape the offside trap, his drible and speed are actually better than expected and he's actually very decent at finding space.

Some of those misses are about focus other are poor technical approaches. But he has a heavy weight on his back: he was hired to make Roma forget about Dzeko, and even tough last season Dzeko was a bit bellow average, the only advantadge that Abraham brought was a more energetic forward when compared to a veteran 35 y.o. Dzeko.
I have only seen bits of him for Roma, and he has generally looked quite poor. Maybe he has adapted his game, but in England he was fairly rubbish at pretty much everything except for finishing.

SAFMUTD

Agree, specially in a league as weak as serie A.

Just look at Milan, their squad is bang average and yet they're challenging for the title.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I'm well aware which teams have more talented squads. But the point i'm trying to make is a core of Cristante, Zaniolo, Pellegrini, Abraham, Veretout, Mancini and previously Dzeko (although he did tail off at the end admittedly) and if you want to add players like Smalling and Kumbulla are not vastly inferior to core players in Atalanta and Milan for example, they are just better managed to get the best out of them.
Atalanta is a good example of this, Gasperini took a team of decent players who thrived in a system that's taken them from lower half Serie A to the top. Now this is a rare occurrence but shows imo that a good manager can get more out of an average team than an average manager can get out of a good team and there are many examples of this. And i think by now we can agree that Mourinho is not "world class" anymore and some might say mediocre now, and opinion on Fonseca is quite divisive. I just think the right manager can push what i feel is a fairly talented team higher and can compete with not necessarily beat, just get closer to the top 4 that's all.
Atalanta is a very well managed club, and their market strategy is way different from Roma. They have everything planned in advanced and their main market targets are either recycling players that somehow failed at top clubs but have the traits they search for (Romero, Zappacosta, Pasalic, Demiral, etc) or either hire players that are showing service but from midtable teams (Lovato, Koopmeiners, Maehle, etc). If you notice they don't have preference for young players.

It was a mix of very positives that created a strong group. Gasperini career is not really impressive but he's not only making them play entretaining football, he's already on his 5th season managing the same club, something extremely rare nowadays.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Agree, specially in a league as weak as serie A.

Just look at Milan, their squad is bang average and yet they're challenging for the title.
Not really bang average.
Milan is the living proof that those FM saves where you hire tons of young players with a very high potential ability don't work in real life. They actually hired some of the most promising young players in the market on the last 4 or 5 seasons, but to suceed like this you need a solid core so you can integrate the young talent in the team core.
As they didn't had a very strong core, their squad is basically a puzzle hard to assemble.

SAFMUTD

Not really bang average.
Milan is the living proof that those FM saves where you hire tons of young players with a very high potential ability don't work in real life. They actually hired some of the most promising young players in the market on the last 4 or 5 seasons, but to suceed like this you need a solid core so you can integrate the young talent in the team core.
As they didn't had a very strong core, their squad is basically a puzzle hard to assemble.
Do you think Milan would get top 6 in the EPL?

I look at their squad and it screams average, besides Theo Hernandez and maybe Kessie no other player from their squad would get into a top team starting XI.

lex talionis

The trouble with Jose is that he's just a vile person. Constantly throwing players under the bus, petulant behaviour with officals and opposition managers and almost always leaves because he's created such a toxic environment. He says he's a changed man but he's still the same snivelling snake. He could get away with it in the past because he actually won trophies but now the game has passed him and he's incapable of winning anything.
This truly is the core of the problem with Mourinho. You can get by for a while with shit tactics, as Ole demonstrated, but if you’re a sniveling snake and your tactics are pterodactyl, your players will perform poorly and corresponding results will follow.

But we all should know by now what Jose’s business plan is: get a desperate club to sign you to a multi-year contract, poison the well and get himself sacked and bagging a huge walk-off payday. We fell for it. Roma fell for it. I’m sure there will be one more club, perhaps a Turkish club, who will fall for it, proving PT Barnum right once again.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
He is the greatest manager, just ask him! He would get along great with Trump. There was a time when he was a cut above the average manager, that time was long ago.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

I look at their squad and it screams average, besides Theo Hernandez and maybe Kessie no other player from their squad would get into a top team starting XI.
In EPL top 8 max. That is the main problem when you hire young rough diamonds and have no orientation line for them to follow, and as a result many of them stalled or eventually got transfered to another clubs because things just didn't worked out (André Silva for example).
On the other hand, Tonali is actually becoming a very intersting midfielder, Brahim Diaz and SAelemaekers looks like they are improving, and if they can recycle Romagnoli who was a very exciting CB a few seasons back, they will secure their top 4 spot this season.

Mercurial

He is but it's sort of fecking insane how quickly his managerial career car crashed, and how far he has fallen in such a short space of time. There are far older, less successful managers who look more capable than him still.

Since the end of his second Chelsea spell, his career has nosedived. It can't just be the changing attitudes of players? So weird.
The massive crash and the fast downward spiral coincided with Faria leaving also. Seem he is less effective on his own.

CraftySoAndSo

Atalanta is a very well managed club, and their market strategy is way different from Roma. They have everything planned in advanced and their main market targets are either recycling players that somehow failed at top clubs but have the traits they search for (Romero, Zappacosta, Pasalic, Demiral, etc) or either hire players that are showing service but from midtable teams (Lovato, Koopmeiners, Maehle, etc). If you notice they don't have preference for young players.

It was a mix of very positives that created a strong group. Gasperini career is not really impressive but he's not only making them play entretaining football, he's already on his 5th season managing the same club, something extremely rare nowadays.
That's kind of the point i'm trying to make, yes Atalanta are a very well run club but Roma aren't. But with some of the players that Roma have and combine it with a well run system, both on the coaching and scouting side. Then they can very well compete with the likes of Napoli, Milan and Atalanta. And you said that Atalanta have a better squad, but a lot of that is down to Gasperini's ability to put them in a system to get the best out of them.
Looking at the squad he took over which finished 13th the previous season, he had Toloi, Hateboer, Freuler and also Gomez who has now gone, on top of players including Caldara, Conti, Spinazzola, Kessie, Cristante and Petagna. Yes in hindsight you can say that's a talented squad but how much is that down to playing well in Atalanta's system and getting a big move in which a few have not shown their previous levels. He took a midtable side and with a lot of the same players has got them playing regular European football and you can't say the team he inherited is better than this Roma side imo.

Loida

Supports
Roma
Some people called him finished manager but having ridiculous demand and expectations for him. He is football manager , not magician , there is no one at Roma who expect him to challenge anything this season with the squad we have ,not even top 4. his duty in his first season is to identify which players isn't good enough in and getting rid of them and recruit players he consider to be good enough to strengthen the squad

If any it was his previous club that were finished , what did united have won 3 years since they sack him and spending over 400m? Absolutely nothing , while spurs has always been a serial bottler , Conte and Spurs will work so hard to prove him right by getting rid of players he wanted to get rid but weren't allowed by their board
The difference between United / spurs at roma is the board , club legend and supporters.
At Roma , our board , won't sack him less than 3 seasons , not a minute less no matter what. our club legend such as Totti and De Rossi publicly support and demand him to be given time , our supporters put a banner "con Mourinho, fino all inferno" which means we will follow him even into hell. this support and trust didn't happen at either united and spurs which put him against all the odds to success , just look at the blatant character assassination your english media wrote about him which they won't wrote about other manager.
Like why does he must improve players while other manager can just get rid and buy a new one ? Tell me how's Dele Alli , Ndombele , Martial and Pogba is doing now without him ? Why don't spurs tell Conte to just coach and improve the players instead of asking for signing ? Conte came to spurs and immediately threw the players under the bus yet you don't see a single article about it

‌I don't think Mourinho is finished at all , we actually played great football under him , have one of the best XG in the league and 2nd in most clean sheet which indicate that the coaching is good but the players aren't , the result was down to our forward weren't clinical enough , our defender not being good enough ,our midfield looks serie B quality without pellegrini , we also have 2 of our best players ( spinazolla and pellegrini ) injured so far. We will definitely give him enough time and money to fix everything ,i and many romanisti will not judge him before his 3rd season, it's not like saking him will solves anything other than us being 21m short of cash ,the crap players we have will not turn world class just because we sack him. What does it solves by sacking him at United and Spurs ? Less toxic air?

roonster09

Scout
Some people called him finished manager but having ridiculous demand and expectations for him. He is football manager , not magician , there is no one at Roma who expect him to challenge anything this season with the squad we have ,not even top 4. his duty in his first season is to identify which players isn't good enough in and getting rid of them and recruit players he consider to be good enough to strengthen the squad

If any it was his previous club that were finished , what did united have won 3 years since they sack him and spending over 400m? Absolutely nothing , while spurs has always been a serial bottler , Conte and Spurs will work so hard to prove him right by getting rid of players he wanted to get rid but weren't allowed by their board
The difference between United / spurs at roma is the board , club legend and supporters.
At Roma , our board , won't sack him less than 3 seasons , not a minute less no matter what. our club legend such as Totti and De Rossi publicly support and demand him to be given time , our supporters put a banner "con Mourinho, fino all inferno" which means we will follow him even into hell. this support and trust didn't happen at either united and spurs which put him against all the odds to success , just look at the blatant character assassination your english media wrote about him which they won't wrote about other manager.
Like why does he must improve players while other manager can just get rid and buy a new one ? Tell me how's Dele Alli , Ndombele , Martial and Pogba is doing now without him ? Why don't spurs tell Conte to just coach and improve the players instead of asking for signing ? Conte came to spurs and immediately threw the players under the bus yet you don't see a single article about it

‌I don't think Mourinho is finished at all , we actually played great football under him , have one of the best XG in the league and 2nd in most clean sheet which indicate that the coaching is good but the players aren't , the result was down to our forward weren't clinical enough , our defender not being good enough ,our midfield looks serie B quality without pellegrini , we also have 2 of our best players ( spinazolla and pellegrini ) injured so far. We will definitely give him enough time and money to fix everything ,i and many romanisti will not judge him before his 3rd season, it's not like saking him will solves anything other than us being 21m short of cash ,the crap players we have will not turn world class just because we sack him. What does it solves by sacking him at United and Spurs ? Less toxic air?
It's a first stage, it will take some time. You will get there, don't worry.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Horrible, past-it manager and narcissist. He's poison to any club that is dumb enough to hire him.

Loida

Supports
Roma
It's a first stage, it will take some time. You will get there, don't worry.
Think he was doing particularly well with worse squad at your club until your board decided to back the players over him. Which is a stupid move tbh, you guys could have sold Pogba and Martial for over 150m ( before covid hit and after Pogba won the world cup ) and use the money to back him with his choice of players so he didn't have to turn toxic, instead of possibly losing Pogba for free yet again. This won't happen at Roma because our DoF , a portuguese named Tiago Pinto is literally his mate, he has been "toxic" here and threw players under the bus already but our DoF still went out publicly and support him. We are commited to give him no less the 3 seasons even if he drag us close to relegation. We won't waste money to sack him anyway.

SambaBoy

All understandable and seem like it's a point well made.

But watch what happens when he is given time. Naturally, you think a manager will improve the time over time, weed out the bad players and start to implement a style. The opposite happens with Mourinho lately, start off ok with the expectation of it improving before it just implodes which I'm sure it will at Roma in his 2nd or 3rd season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Depends on injuries. They have better players than West Ham, for the most part. Arguably better than Arsenal too. Losing Calhanoglu hurt them more than they thought though

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

It has nothing to do with it, not even a little bit. It's an excuse that his supporter have found. One thing that has been reported several times is that his training sessions were less intense and detailed then they used to be during his prime, it's Mourinho's attitude that has changed, not the players'.

James Peril

Depends on injuries. They have better players than West Ham, for the most part. Arguably better than Arsenal too. Losing Calhanoglu hurt them more than they thought though
No chance, don’t forget Leicester and Tottenham’s potential. Milan would finish between 8th - 11th, fighting with Everton, Villa, Wolves and the likes. A 40 year old Zlatan would not perform in the Premier League. Milan’s team is average on paper, do a player by player with let’s say Everton and I’d doubt we would get Milan far ahead if at all.

Loida

Supports
Roma
All understandable and seem like it's a point well made.

But watch what happens when he is given time. Naturally, you think a manager will improve the time over time, weed out the bad players and start to implement a style. The opposite happens with Mourinho lately, start off ok with the expectation of it improving before it just implodes which I'm sure it will at Roma in his 2nd or 3rd season.
I had wrote what makes Roma job different compared to his previous club. Our DoF is his friend and publicly back him , our club legend trust and publicly support him , therefore fans will follow. Beside we don't have players we rather chose to side with against ( probably zaniolo or pellegrini only but that's also doubtful because he is still bigger than them ).The last time he threw our players under the bus ,it was Kumbula ,Diawara, Mayoral and some kids we couldn't give 2 shi*t about. We will have Spinazolla and Pellegrini back for the second half of the season so i am pretty sure the results will be better.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Think he was doing particularly well with worse squad at your club until your board decided to back the players over him. Which is a stupid move tbh, you guys could have sold Pogba and Martial for over 150m ( before covid hit and after Pogba won the world cup ) and use the money to back him with his choice of players so he didn't have to turn toxic, instead of possibly losing Pogba for free yet again. This won't happen at Roma because our DoF , a portuguese named Tiago Pinto is literally his mate, he has been "toxic" here and threw players under the bus already but our DoF still went out publicly and support him. We are commited to give him no less the 3 seasons even if he drag us close to relegation. We won't waste money to sack him anyway.
I have said this before, we can copy ManUtd fans posts, Spurs fans post and now yours, the theme is common and the pattern is same too. Everyone starts with blaming ex clubs, ex players and how it's not Jose's mistake and fast forward few months, the same shit cycle starts at present club.

Good luck for the next 3 seasons.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No chance, don’t forget Leicester and Tottenham’s potential. Milan would finish between 8th - 11th, fighting with Everton, Villa, Wolves and the likes. A 40 year old Zlatan would not perform in the Premier League. Milan’s team is average on paper, do a player by player with let’s say Everton and I’d doubt we would get Milan far ahead if at all.
Milan have much better players than Everton everywhere. Seriously :houllier: They aren't worse than Leicester either i don't think. Even Spurs actually. You're correct about Zlatan though, hence why i mentioned injuries.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Milan have much better players than Everton everywhere. Seriously :houllier: They aren't worse than Leicester either i don't think. Even Spurs actually. You're correct about Zlatan though, hence why i mentioned injuries.
Yeah, I don't see where Milan are inferior to Everton. If anything Milan are pretty close to United overall. Some of our players have more hype but I don't know if they are signifcantly better.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That's kind of the point i'm trying to make, yes Atalanta are a very well run club but Roma aren't. But with some of the players that Roma have and combine it with a well run system, both on the coaching and scouting side. Then they can very well compete with the likes of Napoli, Milan and Atalanta. And you said that Atalanta have a better squad, but a lot of that is down to Gasperini's ability to put them in a system to get the best out of them.
Looking at the squad he took over which finished 13th the previous season, he had Toloi, Hateboer, Freuler and also Gomez who has now gone, on top of players including Caldara, Conti, Spinazzola, Kessie, Cristante and Petagna. Yes in hindsight you can say that's a talented squad but how much is that down to playing well in Atalanta's system and getting a big move in which a few have not shown their previous levels. He took a midtable side and with a lot of the same players has got them playing regular European football and you can't say the team he inherited is better than this Roma side imo.
We are actually agreeing :) In any other club a manager would not have this stability. This Roma side lacks stability and criteria, which is somethingAtalanta achieved with Gasperini and also because the board decides to side with him even when some key players clash with him (see Papu Gomez example).

In any other club I'm pretty sure the DoF would be much more neutral on this making the manager position a bit more instable.