Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Van Gaal always had a plan at least, even if the plan could be tedious. Mourinho now seems caught between styles, like he's trying to prove he's not just a defensive manager but then not really knowing how to coach progressive attacking football either. So ends up with mediocre football and bad defending. At least if he committed to full-on defensive football the results would probably be a bit better. He doesn't know his best team at Spurs and he often didn't know it at United either.
In that case he's cheating not only himself but Levy too... also Van Gaal could definitely instill series of passes between his players for majority of games. Spurs are unable to do that at the moment.

It's such a disjointed mess, the only positive I see is that Aurier doesn't make 15 crosses per game to nobody like last season.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Apart from the fact Arsenal still can't beat him does he have one (just one) characteristic that was identified with his prime self?

He's even losing loads of home games now.
I hope he’s still there come the start of December..

James Peril

Tottenham-fans were clutching onto the end of last season, but we know better, we know what's going to happen. The blind faith in Mourinho does not end well, not even for a smaller club like Tottenham... they still have Son and Kane, they demand goals and fun games, but end up with this shit show. It is going to be fun, hopefully they do reasonably well so they do not sack him too soon and have a chance to fix their season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I hope he’s still there come the start of December..
Banter aside do you think you guys have a mental block facing his teams? Even now with your vastly improved big game record under Arteta you still lost to his Spurs.

Faetheshire86

Beyond me how Utd fans can show pity on this narcissist. Quite openly wished failure upon certain of our players and readily disposed of our clubs 'heritage' in order to not lose face in the media. Loving his footballing demise. Spurs look utterly clueless under him.
Couldn't agree more, I rarely feel personal animosity for players or managers, but I just don't like him.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Banter aside do you think you guys have a mental block facing his teams? Even now with your vastly improved big game record under Arteta you still lost to his Spurs.
For me, absolutely. I believe he’s been masterful at the mind games and has been able to get into the players heads. Part of the game and he has always been good at it, particularly against us!

It would be sweet to turn that around at spurs and vanquish him and that curse from the league.

This early showing of his drop in ability gives hope
anyway.

GlasgowCeltic

Apart from the fact Arsenal still can't beat him does he have one (just one) characteristic that was identified with his prime self?

He's even losing loads of home games now.
I have vague memories of his first Chelsea team being fantastic at chasing games and him proactively switching formations early to do so. Feels like the games just peter out into defeats now with him afraid to do anything beyond like for like changes

always_hoping

Liverpool do not have great strenght in depth though. We have better depth than them.
The main difference is they keep the players fit and manage them better than us.
Don't agree United have better strength in depth. It's nearly a new starting team under Klopp now compared to when he took over. Mane, Wijnaldum, Salah, Robertson, Van Dijk, Keita,Alisson etc all signed under his watch.

Bench yesterday Liverpool had Fabinho, Milner, Origi,Matip and Minamino.

The stage of transition United are currently in is where Liverpool was in 2017-18. e.g good enough for a top 4 finish but can't be expected to challenge for a title when building blocks are put place and still need to ship out more dead wood and most importantly owners that need to back the manager with more quality signings.

Liverpool and Klopp i might add had an excellent DOF in Michael Edwards while United and Ole have business men such as Woodward over transfers.

I wouldn‘t trust him with anymore more money, Hoijberg and Doherty aren’t the answer. If they’re not careful Jose will take them back to the 90s.

Paul_Scholes18

Don't agree United have better strength in depth. It's nearly a new starting team under Klopp now compared to when he took over. Mane, Wijnaldum, Salah, Robertson, Van Dijk, Keita,Alisson etc all signed under his watch.

Bench yesterday Liverpool had Fabinho, Milner, Origi,Matip and Minamino.

The stage of transition United are currently in is where Liverpool was in 2017-18. e.g good enough for a top 4 finish but can't be expected to challenge for a title when building blocks are put place and still need to ship out more dead wood and most importantly owners that need to back the manager with more quality signings.

Liverpool and Klopp i might add had an excellent DOF in Michael Edwards while United and Ole have business men such as Woodward over transfers.
They have fine depth in central midfield, but that is it really. Up front, fullbacks there is little depth and only one central defender for cover.
We got Fred, Mctominay and now DVB for depth in midfield. As good as Liverpool. Up front we lack one player like Sancho to give great depth, but it is not worse than Liverpools in my view.
We got great depth at central defense although poor fitness.
Goalkeeper depth we got way better too.
Fullback depth is equally poor though if we do not buy anyone.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I get pleasure from Jose struggling. Jose even turns normal football fans into weirdos...

Mike Smalling

If I had to make a bet, I would say he will be gone before Christmas. He will not get the necessary backing in the market, some of the key players do not look like themselves and the playstyle looks shite. It could turn sour pretty quickly.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
The decison by both him and the club seemed doomed from the very start, it's not hindsight a lot of people said this is such a bad idea even when it was a rumour.

Lee565

For all that was not going for poch when he was fired, he still had a track record of developing players potential, so to sack him and hire Mourinho because levy saw Mourinho as being able to deliver trophies and didn't care if it meant thinking short term and playing ugly but for him to think mourinho would deliver that on a modest tranfer/waged budget was mind boggling.

Levy has truly messed up and put spurs on a backwards path.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Did they even have a half chance in the second half?

It's a similar problem to what we had - once his teams go down, it's more likely that the scoreline wouldn't change, as he doesn't have a plan on what to do once his team is trailing

Luke1995

Kane will leave after the Euros won't he ? He'll be 28 and trophyless...

As for Mourinho, at this point, he is better suited to Italian football than the Premier League. I even feel like he made a mistake by staying in the PL because he needs a fresh start in another country. But obviously it's hard to see Barcelona or Madrid wanting him, so no Spain. That leaves a return to Italy, or, if he's willing to get out of the '' big three leagues '' (England Spain and Italy) then he can always go to Porto or Benfica.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
We've beaten him a couple of times now, but yeah, it's still a dreadful record. Since the start of 2015 it's 2 wins, 3 draws, and 4 losses.

Both the games against Spurs last season were bizarre though. They were dreadful in both, we had spells of complete dominance... but just couldn't make the most of those periods, and they scored a couple on the counter. I know that's a classic Mourinho 'plan' but this wasn't that - both matches were an average Arsenal side losing despite outplaying an abysmal Spurs, who did nothing particularly well. I'm looking forward to next time we play them.

United Junkie

The Madrid job really did something with him psychologically speaking. I kinda knew back then he wasn't really a good fit there with the culture and politics et al and his ego and character. Wasn't a failed stint for me because he did break the CL curse and got them the Liga. But after that job he was never the same ole Jose again. It's kinda sad to see him like this. He needs to get fired asap and take the time off too find peace in his mind for his own sake.

Reactions: Sultan

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Monstered at home by Everton ! He'll end up in the Scottish League coaching Dumbarton at this rate...
Couldn't happen to a nicer chap :drool:
Surely he'll turn to international management. If the Portgual job becomes available, he'll take it. Knowing the English FA they'd probably give him the England job.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A more interesting question is when he gets sacked, where does he go from here? This Spurs job felt like sort of a last roll of the dice to show that he belongs among the upper echelon of clubs. After this, does he drop down a level and go to a midtable club? Does he take up international management?
I would have said Lyon probably, but they have a DoF, and I'm certain no DoF would recommend appointing him.
In England, maybe Newcastle if they are taken over by Saudis. Valencia/Villareal in Spain, maybe some team fighting for top 6 in Italy. Apart from that I don't see him getting a job in top 5 leagues.

GenZRed

Everton's first away win against a Top Six side in 40 attempts. Kane only having two touches inside opposition box.

Not a good start for Jose and Spurs. Flip side is that Everton are managed by a champions league winning manager and not some average manager.

Revaulx

Did they even have a half chance in the second half?

It's a similar problem to what we had - once his teams go down, it's more likely that the scoreline wouldn't change, as he doesn't have a plan on what to do once his team is trailing
I can’t stand him these days and thought from the start he’d be a bad appointment for United, but I don’t think this is really accurate.

Pretty much the only enjoyable thing about his tenure was our fairly regular comebacks. Which seemed to indicate that either the players didn’t hate him as much as the Jose haters thought, or they were a lot more dedicated and professional than his fanboys would have them be.

It does look that way at Spurs, though some reckon the players had already given up under Poch.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The Madrid job really did something with him psychologically speaking. I kinda knew back then he wasn't really a good fit there with the culture and politics et al and his ego and character. Wasn't a failed stint for me because he did break the CL curse and got them the Liga. But after that job he was never the same ole Jose again. It's kinda sad to see him like this. He needs to get fired asap and take the time off too find peace in his mind for his own sake.
He took time off and found peace. Trouble is some clubs still see him as something special and will come calling

EwanI Ted

I have vague memories of his first Chelsea team being fantastic at chasing games and him proactively switching formations early to do so. Feels like the games just peter out into defeats now with him afraid to do anything beyond like for like changes
I remember Chelsea being 1-0 down at home to Bolton in the first half, in his first spell at Chelsea. He took off a defender at half time, replaced him with an attacker and went with three at the back, then overwhelmed Bolton with 5 second half goals. That was in the days the 4231 still seemed exotic. Swapping a defender for an attacker was just so daring, and whenever he tried something, it paid off. Nowadays he still makes changes, but they don't seem to have any logic to them and don't influence the game. Like he's going on muscle memory but can't remember why it used to work anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.