Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's actually really surreal when you truly think about it.

This is a guy who went 9 years unbeaten at home across four different leagues and gave his team's unrivalled confidence and assurance while making opponents feel helpless in the process (as a Chelsea fan i experienced prime Mou from both those angles).

How can someone fall this much? It's outragoues. Wenger's fall from grace looks minor by comparison.

Irwin99

Well they are still 4th in the league but this could be Spurs all over again for him. Looking at their team they do have some talent (and an exceptional left back still to come back from injury I believe?) but it's hard to see them becoming a force without some big investment.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I really think people are overrating him way too much by thinking he will be on Newcastle shortlist. While it's still not atractive managerial vacancy, surely they can do much better than Jose. Koeman springs to mind, as bad as he is, he is still better than Mourinho nowadays.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I really think people are overrating him way too much by thinking he will be on Newcastle shortlist. While it's still not atractive managerial vacancy, surely they can do much better than Jose. Koeman springs to mind, as bad as he is, he is still better than Mourinho nowadays.
You would think but he's still had three big/big ish jobs since Chelsea (where even basic tactical research would have seen he was done at that point).

Name gets you a long way in football and we're seeing it with Ancelotti too (no way does his present day level warrant the Madrid job).

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I agree with you completely, but these Arabian owners seem to set their clubs up differently. Neither Manchester City nor PSG owners have made such stupid decisions as hiring Mourinho.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just panning out same as his Spurs spell really, they beat bottom half teams and lose to any top 6 team.

Gavinb33

De Gea definitely played a big part in it but no, it wasn’t de gea that carried mourinho.

It’s strange to see that fans still hate him to the point of not being able to see how weak our squad was during that period. If Jose were given the funds at the right time to keep building, we would have won more silverware by now.
The fact that he wasted so much money is still hurting us now, Fred, Bailly, Lindelof (who is ok), Matic, Dalot means we are still under Ole having to rebuild parts of the team he spent masses of money on, the fact in Ole's 1st window we had to buy defenders when it's one of the areas of thr team he bought a lot of players for at good ages speaks volumes these signings set us back and still hold us back now as we've had to rectify them over transfer windows with significant parts of our budget

Rockets Redglare

This is a guy who went 9 years unbeaten at home across four different leagues and gave his team's unrivalled confidence and assurance while making opponents feel helpless in the process (as a Chelsea fan i experienced prime Mou from both those angles).

How can someone fall this much? It's outragoues. Wenger's fall from grace looks minor by comparison.
I actually think Wenger’s later years look a lot more impressive now when you look at the state Arsenal have been in since he left.

But yeah Jose is completely finished at the top level.

binary bot
Us and Mourinho perfectly represent the shift in the game to extreme detail oriented coaching. His career trajectory basically follows the shift. We were caught in this weird zone where we didn't know this shift existed as it made its biggest jump right after Fergie retired.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We should hire him, spend some money on the squad. We will win league easily.

Pintu

Just panning out same as his Spurs spell really, they beat bottom half teams and lose to any top 6 team.
He won at Old Trafford, 1-6 if I recall.

But yes good point, apart from that 0-0 with Napoli, Roma is consistently losing in every big game and his Spurs were doing about the same.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They have a nice run for the next few games before they face Inter.

BorisManUtd

They'll pass group stages of Conference League despite that 6-1 defeat and are 4th in Serie A, so far he's been doing okay. What will happen as season develops I dont know but besides that 6-1 loss it's not been a disaster..

tomaldinho1

Shows the importance of perception and psychology in my opinion (and is why Pep will never take a risky seat). Once you lose a dressing room you're done, when you've lost multiple it's impossible to extract that extra 1% out of players that Mou used to rely on. He's gone from being arguably one of the greatest man managers around to a meme manager, all in about 5 years.

He's probably just as switched on tactically as he was (dependent on how much you rate Faria maybe) but his exit from Real was damaging, Chelsea then really hammered home he's a short term manager and United finished him at the elite level.

Chipper

Adulterer.
What's their target for the season?

They've spent about £100m net and hired him, the big-name coach after 3 seasons outside of the CL places. Going to assume they want to get back there, but do they want any more than that, would it be realistic for a title bid?

Would where they are now be a solid season if it ended like that?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Has me surprised as well.
I was a big fan of Jose and was very envious of what he achieved at Chelsea.
The players adored him and ran through brick wall for him. And his achievements were, at the time, second to none.

But it is clear that he has changed mentally. And the game has moved on, while he has not.
He is living on past glories and it is sad to see. For me anyway.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

They've spent about £100m net and hired him, the big-name coach after 3 seasons outside of the CL places. Going to assume they want to get back there, but do they want any more than that, would it be realistic for a title bid?

CL and a cup run this season should be their expectation.

Sweet Square

I think they are 1 point better off this season than last and now something like 12 points behind AC Milan. The BT commentators mentioned that Roma owners have talked about wanting an improvement over last season but didn't say if they expect a title bid.

Imo the biggest concern has to be that Milan completely outplayed them yesterday. The difference between the two teams seemed pretty big and this is a Milan team that started a 40 year old Zlatan.

Son

The fact that he wasted so much money is still hurting us now, Fred, Bailly, Lindelof (who is ok), Matic, Dalot means we are still under Ole having to rebuild parts of the team he spent masses of money on, the fact in Ole's 1st window we had to buy defenders when it's one of the areas of thr team he bought a lot of players for at good ages speaks volumes these signings set us back and still hold us back now as we've had to rectify them over transfer windows with significant parts of our budget
Bought defenders with Ole and somehow still can’t defend…

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Napoli and AC seem untouchable this season, but he won't be sacked while he's is in the Top3-4.

Marwood

I think it's more likely that his mid noughties Chelsea side would be tactically outclassed in the modern Premier League. The game has advanced so much over the past decade and a half that his tactics are no longer viable at the highest level.

I think there was a study which showed that the average km covered per team increased by something ridiculous like 50% per game over the past 20 years. Add to that, counterpressing (which is Kryptonite to a Mourinho style side) was not around then whereas now most sides employ it to some degree. A Hassenhutl Southampton would rip his 04 Chelsea apart let alone a modern Klopp side because Mourinho likes to play with static numbers in exactly the areas that these coaches want him to- deep in his own half.

And I don't get the idea that Mourinho inspired players from the previous "tougher" generation and can't relate to the modern cosseted ones given that he has consistently lost dressing rooms throughout his career. He lost the Drog, Terry, Cech dressing room as soon as they hit a rough patch results wise as well- it simply took 3 years for that to happen because they were a fantastic side. Nowadays he just starts getting bad results sooner and sooner in his reigns because of a combination of his tactics being outdated for the modern game and the declining quality of players that he is given the opportunity to manage (due to poor job performance on his part). The mentalities of the players hasn't changed much in my view.
I don't think its tactics at all. Some fans believe the game has reinvented itself but it really hasn't. It's pretty much the same now as it was 20 years ago. How goalkeepers and defenders pass between each other is the one big change. Beyond that, how a team plays well and wins silverware is how it always has been. Namely ood players who suit each other.

What has changed are his dealings in the transfer market. He's plummeted in that regard. Some shocking stuff.

On top of that he seems to have changed as a person. Or maybe become a more extreme version of his 2004 self which is pretty insufferable.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think its tactics at all. Some fans believe the game has reinvented itself but it really hasn't. It's pretty much the same now as it was 20 years ago. How goalkeepers and defenders pass between each other is the one big change. Beyond that, how a team plays well and wins silverware is how it always has been. Namely ood players who suit each other.

What has changed are his dealings in the transfer market. He's plummeted in that regard. Some shocking stuff.

On top of that he seems to have changed as a person. Or maybe become a more extreme version of his 2004 self which is pretty insufferable.
No, there are bigger changes to how teams play than just that, here is an obvious example, how many teams at the highest level play with a number 10 anymore? Not very many.

Death of the number 10 is an obvious change to the game.

How much the game has change may be overstated by some, but it has changed to an extent regardless.

Marwood

No, there are bigger changes to how teams play than just that, here is an obvious example, how many teams at the highest level play with a number 10 anymore? Not very many.

Death of the number 10 is an obvious change to the game.

How much the game has change may be overstated by some, but it has changed to an extent regardless.
In his first stint at Chelsea who played as a 10?

Needham

Thing is it's not going to work at international level. He should move into the field he was born to dominate, acting.

romufc

I agree with you completely, but these Arabian owners seem to set their clubs up differently. Neither Manchester City nor PSG owners have made such stupid decisions as hiring Mourinho.
Yep its because they actually set up a footballing structure to deliver success. That is how you run a football team.

We are run by non footballing people, even in footballing departments.

That is the key difference.

redIndianDevil

Cannot believe this moron had so much support amongst our fanbase, but then again we are persisting with OGS too.

Real Name

Being smart subsequently is strong in this place I guess. Whoever wanted him out of the club was a lot smarter than the ones who supported him and who believed its gonna come good, especially after EL win. Its similar to Ole situation, there's even a guy who apparently hated that famous win in Paris cause he knew then, at that right moment, Ole will stay cause of that win and stupid fans will lap it up. Similar to Jose situation, if you didnt want him out right away or after Sevilla comments you're a moron.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is my most disliked Manager - but for some reason I wouldn't mind him as England International manager.

The National team could use an old school manager and a spanking once in a while.

GlasgowCeltic

This guy feels like a completely different person to Jose of the late 2000s, that manager was iconic, undoubtably shaped the face of the Prem at that time, this guy has moobs and looks like he wears knockoff Roma tracksuits despite literally managing the club

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I’m genuinely shocked that Roma are in a tailspin this soon into Mourinho’s tenure there. I was sure he’d do a decent job there and solidify them as a top 3 team in Serie A and make a respectable push in Europe.

This is getting ugly very quickly…

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Wow. Remember when it used to be season two? It could be curtains for Jose.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I’m genuinely shocked that Roma are in a tailspin this soon into Mourinho’s tenure there. I was sure he’d do a decent job there and solidify them as a top 3 team in Serie A and make a respectable push in Europe.

This is getting ugly very quickly…
Why would you believe that? I bet there is no league in the world right now where he would be out and out best coach around. Even in leagues like Bosnia, there are coaches more progressive than him. Obviously they will never reach the management level at which even this shadow of Mourinho operates, but their views on football are much more in line with modern thinking than his. Which speaks volumes about who Mourinho is today.

Last edited: