Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Watching this live, I thought there’s no way he’s doing this just to waste time.

Turns out Pellegrini was one yellow card away from suspension. He’ll miss the game against bottom of the table Salernitana - making him available for the games against Napoli and Inter.

Haha. Classic Jose. Ramos and Xavi Alonso cards springs to mind

autte

Supports
Poggibonsi
Very Mourinho
Austini is a rancorous parasite.
Rome has the most toxic media in Italy. There are like 10 radio stations that talk about Roma 24/7, and they always do their best to distabilize the team. It's a neverending cycle of negativity.
Ranieri, Luis Enrique, Garcia, Spalletti, Fonseca, Mourinho... every manager has to deal with this shit. Poor Fonseca looked like he aged 20 years when he left.

A few weeks ago, he was criticized for starting a youngster in the derby.
Mar 21- "Nicola [Zalewski] is a young boy that's been at Roma since he was nine years old. He had problems in Udinese, but Roman press massacred him. If I was a crap coach who worked under pressure by the media, he wouldn't play anymore."
"[...] Instead in the derby, the kid did very well."
Apr 3- "During yesterday's press conference, I wanted to point out how often some prefer to only discuss the negative aspects rather than talking about a youngster such as Zalewski."

UncleBob

One of the assistant coaches pretty much spent the entire match against Bodø Glimt trying to provoke the opposition manager so he'd focus on them instead of the match. I just find the whole thing bizarre, especially considering the size difference and status of the tournament. The lack of dignity, respect for others, it's a shame it's come to the point where a team from Norway gets him riled up like this, a team they will most likely win against in the return match.

::sonny::

Listening Roma’s radios, they are preparing a big welcome to bodo fans and norwegian people on Thursday

I suggest to Norwegian people and Bodo fans in Rome in this days to pay attention, probably it’s going to be a stab day

Poll: How many Bodo fans going to be stabbed in Rome

1.none
2. 1 to 10
3. 10 to 20
3. +20

Last edited:

Austini is a rancorous parasite.
Rome has the most toxic media in Italy. There are like 10 radio stations that talk about Roma 24/7, and they always do their best to distabilize the team. It's a neverending cycle of negativity.
Ranieri, Luis Enrique, Garcia, Spalletti, Fonseca, Mourinho... every manager has to deal with this shit. Poor Fonseca looked like he aged 20 years when he left.

A few weeks ago, he was criticized for starting a youngster in the derby.
Mar 21- "Nicola [Zalewski] is a young boy that's been at Roma since he was nine years old. He had problems in Udinese, but Roman press massacred him. If I was a crap coach who worked under pressure by the media, he wouldn't play anymore."
"[...] Instead in the derby, the kid did very well."
Apr 3- "During yesterday's press conference, I wanted to point out how often some prefer to only discuss the negative aspects rather than talking about a youngster such as Zalewski."
Do not agree, Austini is a good man.
I listen him on teleradio stereo

One of the assistant coaches pretty much spent the entire match against Bodø Glimt trying to provoke the opposition manager so he'd focus on them instead of the match. I just find the whole thing bizarre, especially considering the size difference and status of the tournament. The lack of dignity, respect for others, it's a shame it's come to the point where a team from Norway gets him riled up like this, a team they will most likely win against in the return match.
Roma called the police and reported also to uefa.
Roma gk coach has been punched by Bodo manager
Uefa opened an investigation

Last edited:

MalaysianRed7

Many people, including me, slated him for his many public admonishments of the players. However, he said:

1) Shaw doesn’t use his brain
2) Pogba is a virus, and not a team player
3) Martial is lazy
4) Rashford can’t finish

4 years later, I now realise that he was right on every single point. He’s also arguably doing the best he can right now with this Roma squad (5th, challenging for the CL and in the ECL quarter final, albeit they narrowly lost the first leg), while Ole’s pandering tactics and Rangnick’s middle of the road tactics have failed to get a tune out of these guys as well. It’s just a toxic dressing room for the most part, and has been probably since LvG culled a large part of Fergie’s last title winning team.

All 3 managers come next season will be in the past though. I just hope ten Hag gets the opportunity to sell as he pleases, and time to build a new squad.

UncleBob

Roma called the police and reported also to uefa.
Roma gk coach has been punched by Bodo manager
Uefa opened an investigation
Roma didn't call the police. Roma claim he was punched, Bodø Glimt say they've seen the videos and that it underlines their side and not Romas, subsequently they've filed a police report against the assistant (who has prior history of being a knob)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Listening Roma’s radios, they are preparing a big welcome to bodo fans and norwegian people on Thursday

I suggest to Norwegian people and Bodo fans in Rome in this days to pay attention, probably it’s going to be a stab day

1.none
2. 1 to 10
3. 10 to 20
3. +20

But seriously, any Bodø fans going to the game, be very careful, never be alone and try not to stay too long in one place

autte

Supports
Poggibonsi
Do not agree, Austini is a good man.
I listen him on teleradio stereo
I listen TRS too. Austini was Pallotta's mouthpiece. Things have changed since the Friedkin took over. They put an end to the "riportini" (leaks?). This decision has exacerbated the relationship between Roma and Roman media. Austini has gone from defending Pallotta's every move to criticize/downplay every single aspect of Friedkin's Roma. Just ask any romanista.

1.none
2. 1 to 10
3. 10 to 20
3. +20
Stabbings usually happen in the area between Piazza Mancini and the Duca D'Aosta bridge. If they stick together and hide their scarves, nothing will happen. Stabbers are cowards who only attack those who are alone.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I dislike him immensely but 7/8 came up for me in my weekend acca so winning 750 quid if he can beat Salernitana at home tomorrow.

Mind you last time I was on brink of winning that amount I only needed Spurs to beat Fulham at home last season and they were 1 up for about an hour and drew 1-1. Wonder who was manager then so taking no chances I think. :lol:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I dislike him immensely but 7/8 came up for me in my weekend acca so winning 750 quid if he can beat Salernitana at home tomorrow.

Mind you last time I was on brink of winning that amount I only needed Spurs to beat Fulham at home last season and they were 1 up for about an hour and drew 1-1. Wonder who was manager then so taking no chances I think. :lol:
Or you can single bet about £220 on x2 just now to hedge your acca perfectly and win 500 already, however it goes?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Many people, including me, slated him for his many public admonishments of the players. However, he said:

3) Martial is lazy
4) Rashford can’t finish

4 years later, I now realise that he was right on every single point. He’s also arguably doing the best he can right now with this Roma squad (5th, challenging for the CL and in the ECL quarter final, albeit they narrowly lost the first leg), while Ole’s pandering tactics and Rangnick’s middle of the road tactics have failed to get a tune out of these guys as well. It’s just a toxic dressing room for the most part, and has been probably since LvG culled a large part of Fergie’s last title winning team.

All 3 managers come next season will be in the past though. I just hope ten Hag gets the opportunity to sell as he pleases, and time to build a new squad.
He is not challenging for 4th, also, are we really going to say about maybe defeating Glimt in some conference league is some kind of achievement?

They finished with 62 points last season, sure they might improve on that this season, but its been a marginal improvement if anything, nothing revolutionary, considering his profile/wages.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Or you can single bet about £220 on x2 just now to hedge your acca perfectly and win 500 already, however it goes?
Think my cashout is around 450 quid currently so yeah will probably have look at odds in morning as imagine Salernitana will probably be 10s to win the game and draw will be decently priced aswell.

Roma tend to grind out wins currently so can see it being one of those 1-0 games for ages.

MalaysianRed7

He is not challenging for 4th, also, are we really going to say about maybe defeating Glimt in some conference league is some kind of achievement?

They finished with 62 points last season, sure they might improve on that this season, but its been a marginal improvement if anything, nothing revolutionary, considering his profile/wages.
He is 5 points off 4th with 6 games to go, providing his team can dispose of Salernitana at home, which should be a piece of cake for any half decent team. If they had beaten Juventus in the game where they were 3-1 up before his players bottled it, they’d already be in 4th. If that’s not challenging, I don’t know what is.

Also, I didn’t say that beating Glimt was an achievement, rather that he’s at least still in a European competition. If he does get past Glimt, who wouldn’t fancy him against inexperienced teams like Leicester, PSV, Feyenoord, Marseille etc. Win that and as tinpot as the ECL is, he completes the set of winning every single European trophy.

As for his wages, he could be the first £1m a week manager, and he shouldn’t be expected to do more than compete for 4th with that squad. Obviously talks of him immediately winning the title were premature and ridiculous. Did you see how open Fonseca’s Roma were against us at OT last season. Losing 6-2 to this United team should not even be an option when up 1-2, considering our struggles in breaking down low blocks.

Pintu

As for his wages, he could be the first £1m a week manager, and he shouldn’t be expected to do more than compete for 4th with that squad. Obviously talks of him immediately winning the title were premature and ridiculous. Did you see how open Fonseca’s Roma were against us at OT last season. Losing 6-2 to this United team should not even be an option when up 1-2, considering our struggles in breaking down low blocks.
We were a little bit lucky there that they lost Spinazzola and their keeper in the first half… You could have mentioned that Fonseca had them reach the semifinal of a higher standard competition, knocking out Ajax in the quarters.

But yeah, Mourinho shouldn’t be expected to challenge for the title with a Roma that finished 7th last year. I think 5th with a decent challenge for 4th should be considered a good first season.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
He is 5 points off 4th with 6 games to go, providing his team can dispose of Salernitana at home, which should be a piece of cake for any half decent team. If they had beaten Juventus in the game where they were 3-1 up before his players bottled it, they’d already be in 4th. If that’s not challenging, I don’t know what is.

Also, I didn’t say that beating Glimt was an achievement, rather that he’s at least still in a European competition. If he does get past Glimt, who wouldn’t fancy him against inexperienced teams like Leicester, PSV, Feyenoord, Marseille etc. Win that and as tinpot as the ECL is, he completes the set of winning every single European trophy.

They are still closer to 8th than 4th and it's actually the lowest gap to Top4 in a while. They have been further off for the most part of the season despite Juve struggling massively in the beginning.
4th place was there for the taking and Atalanta, Lazio and Roma all failed to take advantage of.
So I would agree challenging for Top4 this season isn't really accurate despite the gap. They challenging as much as we do at the moment.
They are by far the best team in the Conference League and should win that, despite that their performances have been really poor and they just lost their QF. Like with United's EL win it will be a rather underwhelming achievement even if they end up winning it.
Overall his season has been ok at best imo, he is slightly outperforming a season that got Fonseca sacked despite new players signed and you just know everything will fall apart in a year.

Peak Mourinho made huge improvements in the first 2 years and then things fell apart. Now he is ok for a while and then things fell apart anyway like we saw already at United and Spurs. So I dont really know how any Roma fan can be excited about his appointment.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Think my cashout is around 450 quid currently so yeah will probably have look at odds in morning as imagine Salernitana will probably be 10s to win the game and draw will be decently priced aswell.

Roma tend to grind out wins currently so can see it being one of those 1-0 games for ages.
Good luck, mate, I am unmercifully hoping the Bodo Glimt feud acts as a distraction and they drop points for our own CL spot battle.:D

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Forgot how bad Mourinho teams actually were to watch....aimless long balls up to front two (this Felix guy clueless at holding it up), zero intensity in central midfield so bottom placed team are pressing them comfortably and main source of creativity seems to be Karsdrop at RB.

Yet Roma barely lose a Serie A game in last three months?

Sums up my luck that guy who hasn't scored for 110 games rifles in a free kick from 25 yards.

0le

3) Martial is lazy
4) Rashford can’t finish

You are looking at his United reign with rose tinted glases, glossing over the fact that he signed Sanchez, approved Fred, promoted McT and also wanted Maguire. He also had a meltdown in his final few months with us.

SirAF

Ageist

G O O O A A A L - Chris Smalling from Roma taps the ball in with the right! An easy finish for Chris Smalling

2-1!

Lecland07

You are looking at his United reign with rose tinted glases, glossing over the fact that he signed Sanchez, approved Fred, promoted McT and also wanted Maguire. He also had a meltdown in his final few months with us.
I think people forget, but, to be fair, all our midfielders were injured and we had nobody to play at that time. He was only a bit part player after that, though. 7 of his 13 games that season were subs, and 6 were less than 15 minutes, most being around 5 minutes.

He was only ever a bit part player under Mourinho, mostly to fill up numbers. He only played 6 times in the next season also, under Mourinho, 4 being sub appearances with 3 of them being less than 15 minutes. He was a squad player and nothing more under Mourinho. I don't attribute blame to him for this, to be honest, as he was only ever a temporary solution at that time.

Maguire: he did not sign. I don't think we can attribute blame because he 'potentially' wanted a player. This has never actually been confirmed.

Sanchez was, unfortunately, a flop.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
The match against Bodo will be the decisive test bench to judge his season..

In Serie A they'll finish around 5th-6th, if they lose to Bodo in that ridicolous cup then it would be a 5/10 season at best..

SirAF

Ageist
The match against Bodo will be the decisive test bench to judge his season..

In Serie A they'll finish around 5th-6th, if they lose to Bodo in that ridicolous cup then it would be a 5/10 season at best..
Agreed. They really need to win the Conference League.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Zaniolo was good second half. He could play a big part in the run in.

Basically second half was just him throwing on every single attacker available to him against bottom placed team so no complexity behind it.

Can't say I rate that Felix guy much but he is very young I guess. Tammy had one of those games when stuff was just bouncing off his shins.

One thing that did surprise me....a very full Olimpico. So often down the years you watch a decent Serie A match up and the stadium in Rome is half empty so nice to see all the stands full pretty much. Has it been like that all season or was there some special offer on with tickets?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Zaniolo was good second half. He could play a big part in the run in.

Basically second half was just him throwing on every single attacker available to him against bottom placed team so no complexity behind it.

Can't say I rate that Felix guy much but he is very young I guess. Tammy had one of those games when stuff was just bouncing off his shins.

One thing that did surprise me....a very full Olimpico. So often down the years you watch a decent Serie A match up and the stadium in Rome is half empty so nice to see all the stands full pretty much. Has it been like that all season or was there some special offer on with tickets?
On April 1 all sporting facilities outdoor went back to 100% capacity following Covid rules relaxation. Ps. congrats on your win :) … as they say: no pain, no gain.

wina

He is silently doing a good job at Roma, they are unbeaten for the last 11 games in the league, collected the most points in the league since January and is now in a cup semifinal playing great football. He is still the same toxic character though, the difference is, their board, their club legend, consider him as their messiah and fully support his "toxicity". After that 6-1 Lost against Bodo , he went trashing the players publicly ,but their board agreed with him , 8 out of 11 players who started the game are out, either sold or frozen off , not even found on their bench anymore. I think that's how you build a team , by getting rid of players who doesn't fight for result. At United, he was doing the same after bad result, but the board, the club legend and the fans are all siding with players and crucified him for it. He then got sacked but the crap players he criticized continue to be crap throughout the years. At Roma his combative nature won't be a problem as long as the club support him. Their board has made a public statement that he is irreplaceable while the players isn't , anyone who doesn't like him are allowed to leave.
That's why i believe he will bring glory to Roma possibly within 3 years.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The players he kicked out the door were backups he didn't really want in the first place. The 3 guys who weren't backups are still starting for them

He's doing a good job, nothing spectacular, but good. Which honestly shouldn't surprise anyone

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I think that in hindsight it is becoming more and more clear that his stay at United was not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. The problem is that his unwillingness to to do obvious flattering lies a la Pep turns fans bitter against them after all is said and done.

Ie, remember his spell at Madrid. Universally, it is thought that this is where his "decline" started. Yet, he:

1. Took the title away from the Xavi-Messi-Iniesta Barcelona
2. Broke their CL curse and started reaching semis regularly
3. Bought in the core of the team that went on to dominate Europe

I also wonder how the Real fans would have looked back at his time had Ronaldo and Ramos, all of people, scored their penalties against Bayern in 2012. Real were arguably the best team in Europe that year (unlike during most of their CL actual wins) but lost the semi on penalties.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
1. Took the title away from the Xavi-Messi-Iniesta Barcelona
2. Broke their CL curse and started reaching semis regularly
3. Bought in the core of the team that went on to dominate Europe
This part is not really true.
The team that won 4 CLs in 5 years was:

Casillas/Navas
Ramos
Varane/Pepe
Marcelo
Carvajal
Modric
Kroos/Alonso
Casemiro/Di Maria
Ronaldo
Benzema
Bale/Isco

Casillas, Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo, Ronaldo, Alonso, and Benzema were at the club before Mourinho. He tried to replace Casillas with Lopez (who was worse) and tried to replace Marcelo with Coentrao. Carvajal, Kroos, Bale, Navas, and Isco all came in after Mourinho. Casemiro came in six months before he left and played in Castilla, not with the first team. That leaves Modric, who arrived in Mourinho's last season and who he never used particularly well, Varane, who is widely known to be a Zidane-recommended signing, and Di Maria, who left the club one season after Mourinho.

He formed a good, competitive team, but it was largely scrapped and rebuilt to begin a new period of domination. His signings like Ozil, Khedira, Di Maria, Coentrao, Carvalho, etc. didn't last long at the club after he left.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Flexing on Norwegian farmers is where he's at these days :lol:

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
This part is not really true.
The team that won 4 CLs in 5 years was:

Casillas/Navas
Ramos
Varane/Pepe
Marcelo
Carvajal
Modric
Kroos/Alonso
Casemiro/Di Maria
Ronaldo
Benzema
Bale/Isco

Casillas, Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo, Ronaldo, Alonso, and Benzema were at the club before Mourinho. He tried to replace Casillas with Lopez (who was worse) and tried to replace Marcelo with Coentrao. Carvajal, Kroos, Bale, Navas, and Isco all came in after Mourinho. Casemiro came in six months before he left and played in Castilla, not with the first team. That leaves Modric, who arrived in Mourinho's last season and who he never used particularly well, Varane, who is widely known to be a Zidane-recommended signing, and Di Maria, who left the club one season after Mourinho.

He formed a good, competitive team, but it was largely scrapped and rebuilt to begin a new period of domination. His signings like Ozil, Khedira, Di Maria, Coentrao, Carvalho, etc. didn't last long at the club after he left.
Yes Real already had a good core but to be fair he didn't spend much in the 3 years he was there. In fact, in those 3 years combined, he spent less than Pellegrini in his last season or Ancelotti in his first season.
I'm not sure if the board was suspicious of him, he got players on loan like Adebayor, Essien instead of "actual" reinforcements.
He never tried to replace Marcelo with Coentrão, he used both and he changed them depending on the games.

IMHO his work in Real Madrid is underrated, he might not have bought the players but he clearly picked up the players and turned them into a team, with the characteristic strong press and counter attack. Ancelotti and Zidane's works felt like just the continuation of his work, with better players filling the weak links of the squad (right back, midfielders, etc).
He went against one of the best team of all time and he slowly turned the tables until Barcelona lost more to Real h2h than the reverse.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes Real already had a good core but to be fair he didn't spend much in the 3 years he was there. In fact, in those 3 years combined, he spent less than Pellegrini in his last season or Ancelotti in his first season.
I'm not sure if the board was suspicious of him, he got players on loan like Adebayor, Essien instead of "actual" reinforcements.
He never tried to replace Marcelo with Coentrão, he used both and he changed them depending on the games.
He's actually the only manager of the Florentino eras who was allowed to be actually in charge of transfers. Not even Zidane got that level of control. We got Adebayor in January because Mou wanted another CF despite having Benzema and Higuain, and other targets were simply unavailable in that window. He got Coentrao for a ludicrous fee with literally everybody else at the club begging Florentino not to do it - and in fairness, Coentrao was an important player for La Decima, even relegating Marcelo to a backup role

Mourinho did a verg good job in Madrid, but failed to deliver the CL and by his final season he'd completely lost the dressing room. To keep him would have meant selling Ramos, Cristiano, Pepe, Di Maria, Iker, etc...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They could sneak into 4th if Juventus keep dropping points like they are doing.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Surprised to see Roma's style of play. They're so attacking and create chances for fun.

They have been unlucky in a few massive games this season.

He's also doing a splendid job with the youngsters. Zalewski is brilliant in this role Jose is using him in.

Jose is still targeting Xhaka next season based on rumours.