Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma

Hughes35

It'd be an absolute blast if he gets the England job. But I suspect the FA wouldn't want his sort anywhere near them.
Really would be incredible wouldn't it? I agree with you though, the FA know he's too big of a personality for them to handle.

justsomebloke

Saudi next for him. 100%.
Somehow I have a hard time visioning that. A national team would maybe be the logical next step for him? It'd be really interesting too, to see how he'd do with that. It should suit him in some respects, not being a systems-oriented manager.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Somehow I have a hard time visioning that. A national team would maybe be the logical next step for him? It'd be really interesting too, to see how he'd do with that. It should suit him in some respects, not being a systems-oriented manager.
England.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I’m not sure if this was also a dig at ETH and our fanbase… sounds eerily similar
Not really, but i can see why someone would take it as such. Different football cultures. Whereas the British/Irish take pride in the PL's dynamism/athleticism and tend to overvalue the ability to produce a vertical game, the Italians love to argue about tactics and that can often lead to giving credit to performances that simply don't warrant it. Especially when it comes to defensive displays.

In the case of Mourinho, you can argue that he can still implement a good defensive set-up. He finished last season with the 4th best defence in Serie A, and 2nd in xgA, just a tiny fraction behind Napoli who walked the league. This is the area where he obviously improved Roma. But with Mourinho, you know that this usually comes at a cost on the other side of the pitch. That's the main reason he has fallen far down in the pecking order since the 10s. There are managers available who can prioritize a solid defensive foundation and still present a more successful and a more palatable type of football. But if you have fans who like to overanalyze games, you can find all sorts of excuses for narrow margin failures. That's what i was trying to say.

The main problem with managers at United, those who have lasted for more than a single season, is that they usually get the job when the club has reached a certain nadir, so their initial decent/good season gets far more praise than it should. At first, we shoot down any kind of valid criticism like star-struck lovers and when the wheels come off, we get angry like betrayed husbands.

redIndianDevil

He could be someone like Sean Dyche, making smaller clubs punch above their weights. The only problem for him these days is demanding players on huge wages or huge transfer fees and then proceeding to play shite football with said players.

autte

Supports
Poggibonsi
Cons
- Brought the club into FFP trouble
- Embarrassed the club with his comments (excuses) after every loss
- Worst Roma coach in 30 years
- 5 red cards in 18 months
- Lost 5/6 derbies
- Can’t beat a top 10 team

Pros -
- Brought in record attendances
- Won 1x Cup although I begrudgingly count the Conference League as a cup

Good riddance Jose
He did not bring the club into FFP trouble. Monchi did. Don't spout misinformation.

He can't be worse than Luis Enrique, Di Francesco and Fonseca who kept losing the same way every time. Fonseca was 2-1 up at Old Trafford and managed to lose 2-6 by playing with a suicidal high line, instead of thinking "I'm miraculously winning 2-1 away with three players lost to injuries in the first half. Maybe it's a good idea to play on the counter, and not leave too much space?". Those are the worst coaches, those incapable of reading the situations and making changes during a match. Di Francesco was a carbon copy. Let's play high line against the best team in the world. What could go wrong? I still have nightmare of Juan Jesus clumsily running after Salah.

5 red cards in 18 months doesn't really mean anything if you consider episodes like the one with Marco Serra, the fourth official who was suspended for provoking Mourinho. He was so bad and so blatantly dishonest that they dismissed him from Serie A. It is also important to note that, under Mourinho's tenure, Roma were screwed over by the refs on multiple occasions. To the point it kinda became a meme. How many refs with main character syndrome have they suspended and sent to officiate in lower division matches after screwing us over? Must be a record.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
His ego could accept managing such sides?

Can't see it. Think he'd rather be a big fish in a smaller pond than fodder in a bigger pool.
He's been heading that way for years. Real Madrid - Chelsea - United - Spurs - Roma. He's been trending downwards since 2013 ;)

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
His time at Roma wasn't as bad as some people here are suggesting.

Won the club their first European trophy in his first season. Took them to a Europa final next season and lost on penalties. They were robbed that day honestly. Improved Roma's defensive organisation overall. Attracted some big names on loan or short term deals. Roma fans loved him because he created an atmosphere around the club that they loved. Gave around 15 young players their debut. Massively improved some of Roma's young important starters like Mancini, Cristante, Zalewski.

The Roma project was meant to be one where the owners financially back Mourinho and help him build a team. After Abraham's arrival, none of that really happened.

For context, he has a negative net spend(transfer market profit) of 17 million over his 3 seasons at Roma. At the time of sacking he was a few points away from top 4 so not really the meltdown people are making it look like.

Overall, his time at Roma was a success. The fans absolutely adored him and he helped them dream big again.

The important thing is where does he go next? Can't see him taking a National Team job because he's a workaholic and likes staying in the limelight. I think Newcastle and Chelsea are possibilities.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Seems like a lot of United fans and players were right about him.
It was obvious, many United fans have a blind spot for managers because they largely lived with SAF. SAF is an incredible exception in Sport, it's very rare to see someone consistently adapt his management to his players indiividually and as a group. People tend to love the idea of being no nonsense when SAF was the opposite, he adapted to nonsense and gave sense to it. Ancelotti is an other example of that, though he has been less consistent.

Mourinho was a great manager when he was willing to adapt and willing to turn lemons into lemonade. The moment he believed that everyone was beneath him, he was done.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
What about Guardiola?
Guardiola is probably the most sucessful and revolutionary manager in football history. He successfully mixed the dutch school of total football principles with the Sacchi philosophy of zone pressing and a very high defensive line to allow the team to press as soon as possible. He was ahead of his time and still is a bit.

Shake Jism

Seems like a lot of United fans and players were right about him.
Bit like John McClaine... wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time. His United reign was largely terrible after that first season, but if he'd followed Fergie instead of Moyes we'd've been a lot better off...

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Classic Jose. Starts so well and ends in tears. Can never last anywhere for more than 3 seasons max.

BorisManUtd

I was bit surprised by this as Roma haven't been terrible this season (5 points off top 4) and Mourinho obviously reached 2 European finals winning one and losing the other on penalties. But the more you think about it - it seems like the pattern for most of the time he was there was that league position was always similar (around 6th place basically) and looking at Europa League - knockout phase should be more difficult this season with teams like Liverpool, Milan and Bayer Leverkusen (who are flying this season as we know) in it. So would he win the Europa this season? Not that likely with those teams involved. Would he get top 4 in Serie A? Seems like only way would be at expense of Fiorentina, but they'd also have to beat Atalanta, Lazio, Napoli to do it, and in previous 2 seasons Mou and Roma couldn't do it. Anyways, he won them a trophy after 14 years and seems like the whole stint was a success (more than not).

It's another 3rd season ending for Mourinho, almost identical to Chelsea in 2015 and United in 2018 (basically stayed at Roma 1 month more). Definitely a cycle.

I'd say Jose's peak was 2003-2012 period, he was most probably best manager in the world at that time. Had some success after that like winning PL with Chelsea in 2015 but signs of decline were showing.

People are suggesting retiring, sabbatical or International job but not sure Mourinho himself wants any of that. Will be interesting to see where he ends up next.

always_hoping

The special one has become the average one.

When appointed Manchester United manager he was past his peak and lucky enough we got a few trophies out of him. Has been a slide since and his time with Roma only produced a win percentage of 49% lower than his spell with Tottenham 51%.

Yes winning a European trophy for Roma was good however it a 3rd tier European trophy that West Ham under Moyes managed to win the following season.

International gig will likely be his next stop though at his stage in his career it would be more of risk for any country to take him on.

OleGunnar20

Ha ha. I wish nothing but failure for the man after the embarrassment he was here. To throw your players under the bus is bad enough, but a whole club? Busted flush Jose.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Would anyone else have him in for 6 months??? :lol: :lol: no danger of third season syndrome if he's here as an interim.

And he was -spot on- about Martial and Pogba wasn't he. Player power done him in the end, much like with... Well, every other manager we had.

(I joke of course. You should never go back to your dodgy ex)
I'm not so sure you are.

saivet

It'd be an absolute blast if he gets the England job. But I suspect the FA wouldn't want his sort anywhere near them.
If I was at the FA, I wouldn't go near him either. I think he probably wouldn't be a good personality fit for the squad. Some of the older players like Walker, Maguire and Kane might be fine with his approach, but I'd imagine he'd rub people up the wrong way and the positive camp that Southgate has led might become fractured which in turn could lead to worse performances and results.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Should just take the Brazil job and win the WC

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I'd fire Berhalter today and hire him tomorrow for the USA gig. At least he'd have a clue about things. The USSF would never hire a guy with his profile and attitude as they can't control him.

slored1

Far from being his fan but I thought he did pretty well given the circumstances at Roma, so I think the sacking is extremely harsh. That squad is tragic, the defence wouldn't start for Leeds in the Championship, the midfield is old and immobile, and Lukaku is just an overrated flat-track bully. Got to two European finals and only 5 points from top 4.

AneRu

International management surely has to be his next move. He should've taken the Portugal job when it last came up. Might've been contender for Brazil but they've just given the job to Dorival Jr.
He should swallow his pride, take a sabbatical and use that time to catch up with new concepts and styles then start again in 18 months or so at a club with low expectations. Part ofe thinks he is now just a compensation merchant.

tomaldinho1

Same as all the other players who moved to Saudi then. Millionaires who want even more.
Mou must be far far richer than most of those players though outside of the big names. Managers also don’t really have to retire, Ronaldo really had no options when you think about it, Benzema and Neymar were looking for their last big contract.