Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

432JuanMata

To me that’s the rational view. What redeeming factors could possibly be held in the hearts of Utd fans,
I agree and disagree with you. He didn’t show respect at times and his last year was torture but still he added a Carling cup Europa League and our highest finish in 8 years. He disrespected the club you love but he won things for the club you love.
Without that we would have a FA cup in 8 years

432JuanMata

He quite clearly was wrong about those players, just as he was with De Bruyne and Salah, don’t fall for that bullshit.
Sorry every manager has loads of mistakes. I’m not falling for the bullshit I was glad to see the back of him but until we do better then he is still our most successful manager in nearly a decade. Ole might play the right players and football is better and more enjoyable but at the end of the day he is far off the things Jose won for us.
Again I will say I wanted him gone(never wanted him anyway) but he still won things and I want this club to win things

Eddy_JukeZ

He was a complete failure at the club here.

We brought him in to take us back to the top and he failed.

His post-match presser after the Sevilla game at OT was a complete disgrace for a Manchester United manager. He should have been sacked then.

432JuanMata

He was a complete failure at the club here.

We brought him in to take us back to the top and he failed.

His post-match presser after the Sevilla game at OT was a complete disgrace for a Manchester United manager. He should have been sacked then.
It’s starting to look like I’m defending him but what is Ole here for or LVG ? If it’s too get us back to the top then every manager since SAF has failed since he is the most successful manager since. I hope Ole achieves more but still I disliked him but he won us things and performed better than LVG, Moyes and Ole(so far)
I agree about Seville, we lost to Seville last season but that tactics, matches and post match was a disgrace.
As I said I didn’t like him and hope he will soon not be our most successful manager since SAF(means we our winning things) but right now I’m glad for his time here even though half of it was a reminder he don’t need a manager like him.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Firmino maybe?
Firmino is another unique player, but quite different than Alli IMO. Alli starts as a MF and mostly ends up in the box, while Firmino starts as a ST and is almost always playing outside the box.

Irwin99

Bale scoring the winner must be encouraging for them. If he can get back to even half of his best form it'll be a big plus for them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It’s starting to look like I’m defending him but what is Ole here for or LVG ? If it’s too get us back to the top then every manager since SAF has failed since he is the most successful manager since. I hope Ole achieves more but still I disliked him but he won us things and performed better than LVG, Moyes and Ole(so far)
I agree about Seville, we lost to Seville last season but that tactics, matches and post match was a disgrace.
As I said I didn’t like him and hope he will soon not be our most successful manager since SAF(means we our winning things) but right now I’m glad for his time here even though half of it was a reminder he don’t need a manager like him.
Simply because Jose is not long term. He has a half life of 3 years at all his clubs.

Doesnt matter how good he was - ( he wasnt good, he was just slightly successful compared to the rut we were in), but ultimately he wouldnt survive here because he is not a loving guy of his squad or the club.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Simply because Jose is not long term. He has a half life of 3 years at all his clubs.

Doesnt matter how good he was - ( he wasnt good, he was just slightly successful compared to the rut we were in), but ultimately he wouldnt survive here because he is not a loving guy of his squad or the club.
I do not understand how this myth keeps surviving. Who exactly, bar a few odd examples, lasts more than 3 years at a large club nowadays? Especially at clubs that Mourinho has managed.

Bebestation

I do not understand how this myth keeps surviving. Who exactly, bar a few odd examples, lasts more than 3 years at a large club nowadays? Especially at clubs that Mourinho has managed.
And so? He had his tenure and it's over. As you say no manager will survive over 3 (not true if you look at the PL winners managers) so he wouldnt have done crap all after his peak 2nd season.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
And so? He had his tenure and it's over. As you say no manager will survive over 3 (not true if you look at the PL winners managers) so he wouldnt have done crap all after his peak 2nd season.
I want to see someone do better than he did before calling his second season crap.

windco

The club he managed ( Madrid and Chelsea ) used to sack manager often so it can't be helped. We are the one who shouldn't sack him looking at how we didn't even get better after he left.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I was looking at the league table today.
Spurs in 2nd.
MUFC in 15th.

Jose should've been managed correctly by Edward Woodward.
Any idiot would've told you that if you didn't buy any players in the Summer after we finished 2nd would have Jose moaning. Throughout the Summer Woodward should've been in close contact with him to temper his depression that Jose seemed to go into.
We then replaced him with Ole who initially did well, but then fell off a cliff. Last year we finished with the lowest points total since SAF left. And this year we are in 15th.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
i'm going to predict, the run in to the title, will see a few in here hoping the dippers win the title and push Jose's Spurs down to 2nd.

Bebestation

The club he managed ( Madrid and Chelsea ) used to sack manager often so it can't be helped. We are the one who shouldn't sack him looking at how we didn't even get better after he left.
So we should do something different to Chelsea and Real Madrid. Treat Jose as the second coming of SAF. Okay got it.

He chose Lukaku as his striker and it shows his problems. He is lucky to be following from Pochettino's squad because their 4231 tactics are quite familiar using players like Son, Harry Kane, Lucas, Ndombele - hell if Jose had a freedom to convince Eriksen to stay I'm sure he would have played him like the second coming wesley Sneijder.

He is a quick successful manager but there is more than just us as a club in this world. I guess some still view him as the right choice whilst others like me are so so happy he had left.

Sanchez isnt son. Pogba isnt Ndombele. Lukaku isnt Kane. Perisic or whoever he was crying for isnt Lucas. Mkhitaryan isnt Sneidjer.

The guy is so fixed with one tactic and formation that he turns the club exactly to only that. I didnt like it. It was good enough for Chelsea to beat a club like United for a trophy but it wasnt even good enough for them long term on two occasions. Especially his second coming.

windco

So we should do something different to Chelsea and Real Madrid. Treat Jose as the second coming of SAF. Okay got it.

He chose Lukaku as his striker and it shows his problems. He is lucky to be following from Pochettino's squad because their 4231 tactics are quite familiar using players like Son, Harry Kane, Lucas, Ndombele - hell if Jose had a freedom to convince Eriksen to stay I'm sure he would have played him like the second coming wesley Sneijder.

He is a quick successful manager but there is more than just us as a club in this world. I guess some still view him as the right choice whilst others like me are so so happy he had left.

Sanchez isnt son. Pogba isnt Ndombele. Lukaku isnt Kane. Perisic or whoever he was crying for isnt Lucas. Mkhitaryan isnt Sneidjer.

The guy is so fixed with one tactic and formation that he turns the club exactly to only that. I didnt like it. It was good enough for Chelsea to beat a club like United for a trophy but it wasnt even good enough for them long term on two occasions. Especially his second coming.
Finished second with 81 points with all the "deadwood" you mentioned.. If only we used the transfer budget that being given to ole for him, we would be in better place. He will have tottenham challenging this year no doubt about it. I have said since beginning of this season

Bebestation

Finished second with 81 points with all the "deadwood" you mentioned.. If only we used the transfer budget that being given to ole for him, we would be in better place. He will have tottenham challenging this year no doubt about it. I have said since beginning of this season
I said the same thing that he will have Spurs challenging with Spurs on his second season.

Let's see how he does the season after & if he can survive at Spurs from then on.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I said the same thing that he will have Spurs challenging with Spurs on his second season.

Let's see how he does the season after & if he can survive at Spurs from then on.
He has Kane and Son on his side, and works quite well with Levy based on the amazon documentary. I think he will be fine as long as he delivers top 4. I don't think challenge for title is his task, but to build and sustain Spurs as a top 4 club.

RooneyLegend

Oh please, DDG dragged that team 2nd place. No one at the club deserved any credit for that season outside of DDG. He was basically the best player in the league.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
i'm going to predict, the run in to the title, will see a few in here hoping the dippers win the title and push Jose's Spurs down to 2nd.
Ha! The ultimate nightmare for many on here.
Seriously though Spurs have Liverpool Arsenal and Man City after the international break and will be back to top 4 challengers by December. Their defence isnt good enough and they allow teams too much initiative. Id predict 4th/5th and a league cup for them.

windco

He quite clearly was wrong about those players, just as he was with De Bruyne and Salah, don’t fall for that bullshit.
He didn't need them to win the league back then and they were clearly not yet ready to handle premier league. With Roman Abramovich you can't say you are building team for the future , It's always about win it now or sack so yeah Mourinho has no time to wait for Salah and KDB to develop.

He has Kane and Son on his side, and works quite well with Levy based on the amazon documentary. I think he will be fine as long as he delivers top 4. I don't think challenge for title is his task, but to build and sustain Spurs as a top 4 club.
You can also say he has Drogba and Lampard at Chelsea but so does Avram Grant , Scolari did the later won the league ? He had Eto'o and Milito at Inter but so does Rafael Benitez but did the later won the league ? He has Kane and Son but so does Poch , did the later won anything? Surprise to you is that a good manager made a world class player better. Ole has Martial , Rashford , Pogba , all the fans favorite player ( not jose's favorite ) and we are still trophyless.
Oh please, DDG dragged that team 2nd place. No one at the club deserved any credit for that season outside of DDG. He was basically the best player in the league.
So DDG scored all the goals ? We scored more goals and conceded less in that season compared to last season with martial , rashford , greenwood , maguire , awb and all fans favorite players playing regularly. DDG excellent performance were also down to Mourinho setting us up to be compact , DDG is best at being shot stopper , but not so good with the ball and distribution which means he is actually suited better with a team who "park the bus" and force opposition to shot from more save-able position than a team who dominated possession and try to play it from the back. If any DDG needs a coach like Mourinho to thrive , not the other way around.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

He didn't need them to win the league back then and they were clearly not yet ready to handle premier league. With Roman Abramovich you can't say you are building team for the future , It's always about win it now or sack so yeah Mourinho has no time to wait for Salah and KDB to develop.

You can also say he has Drogba and Lampard at Chelsea but so does Avram Grant , Scolari did the later won the league ? He had Eto'o and Milito at Inter but so does Rafael Benitez but did the later won the league ? He has Kane and Son but so does Poch , did the later won anything? Surprise to you is that a good manager made a world class player better. Ole has Martial , Rashford , Pogba , all the fans favorite player ( not jose's favorite ) and we are still trophyless.

So DDG scored all the goals ? We scored more goals and conceded less in that season compared to last season with martial , rashford , greenwood , maguire , awb and all fans favorite players playing regularly. DDG excellent performance were also down to Mourinho setting us up to be compact , DDG is best at being shot stopper , but not so good with the ball and distribution which means he is actually suited better with a team who "park the bus" and force opposition to shot from more save-able position than a team who dominated possession and try to play it from the back. If any DDG needs a coach like Mourinho to thrive , not the other way around.
You've lost it. DDG was the best keeper in the league long before Mou got here. Gosh, we were a pass out from the back possession based team just before Mou got here and DDG was in almost every league team of the year. DDG has been keeping incompetent managers in jobs for a long time, only Ole hasn't had the benefit of his De God ways although he's been great during the start of this season.

What goals are you on about? We were the 5th highest scoring team in the league that season. Only Chelsea in the top 6 scored less than us. We had the second best defence largely down to one man and the that man was definitely not Mou who had us parking the most fragile bus ever seen by mankind. Mou didn't have De Gea making outrageous save's so stop it.

We'll see how he does at Spurs, it's way to early to be beating his drum. Most teams aren't even up teams speed yet. Imo best he'll do is 3rd with his archaic ways and claim it to be his best achievement or something of the sort.

UncleBob

:lol:

When it's a common theme that he doesn't have time to wait for promising players to develop, well...

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Mourinho actually wanted De Bruyne to stay, but the player said he wouldn't be motivated as a rotational option and an agreement was made.
About Salah, most of people now conviniently forget his performances for Chelsea. Yes, he was a livewire dribbler with a great vision, but he was very inneficient most of the times. But Salah was definitely sold when Conte was the manager, Chelsea could had just kept the player.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm still convinced that Chelsea only even bought Salah initially to stop us from getting him. The bastards were stockpiling players even back then.

UncleBob

Mourinho actually wanted De Bruyne to stay, but the player said he wouldn't be motivated as a rotational option and an agreement was made.
About Salah, most of people now conviniently forget his performances for Chelsea. Yes, he was a livewire dribbler with a great vision, but he was very inneficient most of the times. But Salah was definitely sold when Conte was the manager, Chelsea could had just kept the player.
:wenger:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
KdB was good enough, Jose didnt play him. As with any good player he wanted to leave and had great career. Jose even acted like a twat and said KdB's training performance wasn't good, later KdB said he asked for open training session for all to see.

Salah was barely given chance at Chelsea. He played 800 mins and 500 mins in league. He scored 2 goals and 2 assists in those 500 mins. Conte has nothing to do with Salah. He was loaned out with option to buy under Jose, Jose even said he has 5 better wingers than Salah and said he hopes Salah won't return. Roma just used their clause, with Chelsea/Conte have no say in that. As usual Jose just lied about it years later when Salah became awesome player.

Bebestation

Sold Bonnuci, Robben, Lukaku (only to buy the lad either) and my boy Daley Blind who was the best ball player from defence I ever saw at the club.

Whilst I will get shot down by the random surge of Jose fans - I think Depay would have turned atleast to a decent squad player for us when we was playing Martial centrally with Rashford and Greenwood on either side last season. Memphis in the centre would have been good to see develop.

Let's just get Alexis Sanchez. Why is Pogba not looked at as a Jose signing? Seems that's a luxury not given to any other manager at our club or any of the others.

Last edited:

windco

You've lost it. DDG was the best keeper in the league long before Mou got here. Gosh, we were a pass out from the back possession based team just before Mou got here and DDG was in almost every league team of the year. DDG has been keeping incompetent managers in jobs for a long time, only Ole hasn't had the benefit of his De God ways although he's been great during the start of this season.

What goals are you on about? We were the 5th highest scoring team in the league that season. Only Chelsea in the top 6 scored less than us. We had the second best defence largely down to one man and the that man was definitely not Mou who had us parking the most fragile bus ever seen by mankind. Mou didn't have De Gea making outrageous save's so stop it.

We'll see how he does at Spurs, it's way to early to be beating his drum. Most teams aren't even up teams speed yet. Imo best he'll do is 3rd with his archaic ways and claim it to be his best achievement or something of the sort.
DDG never won a golden gloves before Mourinho came. People are crediting Ole for "getting the best out of Martial and Rashford" so why people didn't say the same for Mourinho despite the fact that he also got the best of Petr Cech , got the best of Julio Caesar and considering his trophy cabinet it's obvious he also got the best of many players not just GK. It's not coincidence he also got the best of De Gea and probably going to get the best out of Kane , Son and Ndombele.
:lol:

When it's a common theme that he doesn't have time to wait for promising players to develop, well...
Of course he couldn't , chelsea is rudeless. i am pretty sure fat Frank is gone at the end of season if they were trophyless again. Would you pick Salah over prime Hazard ? Would you pick KDB over Fabregas / Oscar ? The answer is no , he has to start a game with all his best players , no room for developing players if your aim was to win the league. Beside i think he knows Salah pretty well, he made Ashley Young pocketed his ass whenever we were up against them.

Sold Bonnuci, Robben, Lukaku (only to buy the lad either) and my boy Daley Blind who was the best ball player from defence I ever saw at the club.

Whilst I will get shot down by the random surge of Jose fans - I think Depay would have turned atleast to a decent squad player for us when we was playing Martial centrally with Rashford and Greenwood on either side last season. Memphis in the centre would have been good to see develop.

Let's just get Alexis Sanchez. Why is Pogba not looked at as a Jose signing? Seems that's a luxury not given to any other manager at our club or any of the others.
Probably got his hand tied on rope at United. Look at the players he bought at spurs. He got 7 new players this season for the cost less than Maguire and the news said most of them were his first choice. But the problem is i don't think United fans would like any of his signing except for Sergio Reguilon , he didn't went after fancy name. He couldn't get the player he wanted at Manchester United because the fans wouldn't like his first choice and Woodward rather listen to fans than listening to him.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
After West Brom away this is their run up to late December:

Man. City (H)
Chelsea (A)
Arsenal (H)
Palace (A)
Liverpool (A)
Leicester (H)
Wolves (A)

If they're still 2nd or 3rd after all that they'd have done very well.

They need to win their europa game this week so the group stage becomes comfortable again and they don't have to put Kane and Son out in the last games to get them through group stage.

Bebestation

DDG never won a golden gloves before Mourinho came. People are crediting Ole for "getting the best out of Martial and Rashford" so why people didn't say the same for Mourinho despite the fact that he also got the best of Petr Cech , got the best of Julio Caesar and considering his trophy cabinet it's obvious he also got the best of many players not just GK. It's not coincidence he also got the best of De Gea and probably going to get the best out of Kane , Son and Ndombele.

Of course he couldn't , chelsea is rudeless. i am pretty sure fat Frank is gone at the end of season if they were trophyless again. Would you pick Salah over prime Hazard ? Would you pick KDB over Fabregas / Oscar ? The answer is no , he has to start a game with all his best players , no room for developing players if your aim was to win the league. Beside i think he knows Salah pretty well, he made Ashley Young pocketed his ass whenever we were up against them.

Probably got his hand tied on rope at United. Look at the players he bought at spurs. He got 7 new players this season for the cost less than Maguire and the news said most of them were his first choice. But the problem is i don't think United fans would like any of his signing except for Sergio Reguilon , he didn't went after fancy name. He couldn't get the player he wanted at Manchester United because the fans wouldn't like his first choice and Woodward rather listen to fans than listening to him.
And that proves Jose isnt suited for Manchester United.

He has always suited clubs that have an underdog personality like Chelsea trying to overcome United's dominance or Inter Milan at Italy or even Porto in the CL.

The guy is not meant for the big clubs as seen at United or Real Madrid relative to their expectations and how they deal with money, transfers and generally how they are looked at after his dirty comments and football.

Anyway I really cant talk about Jose anymore because the guy makes me sick. Literally throw up sick. I'm not a fan who bends on both knees for just success and any type of success at that. Even if Jose achieved something at United, he was my personal most hated manager of United of all time.

steffyr2

He has always suited clubs that have an underdog personality like Chelsea trying to overcome United's dominance or Inter Milan at Italy or even Porto in the CL.

The guy is not meant for the big clubs as seen at United or Real Madrid relative to their expectations and how they deal with money, transfers and generally how they are looked at after his dirty comments and football.

Anyway I really cant talk about Jose anymore because the guy makes me sick. Literally throw up sick. I'm not a fan who bends on both knees for just success and any type of success at that. Even if Jose achieved something at United, he was my personal most hated manager of United of all time.
It looks like we've fixed that "just success" thing with Ole.
We've had Moyes and LVG and Mourinho and now Ole. Success has been largely missing (tho' Mourinho got us to 2nd and people howled). I guess being 15th with a manager who's as cute as a bug's ear is good for some people, and you're not throwing up anymore....I was hoping for a bit more seeing as we're a 'big' club.
People wanted Giggs, maybe still do. (I just looked into that thread.)

windco

It looks like we've fixed that "just success" thing with Ole.
We've had Moyes and LVG and Mourinho and now Ole. Success has been largely missing (tho' Mourinho got us to 2nd and people howled). I guess being 15th with a manager who's as cute as a bug's ear is good for some people, and you're not throwing up anymore....I was hoping for a bit more seeing as we're a 'big' club.
People wanted Giggs, maybe still do. (I just looked into that thread.)
I always felt like Mourinho was the only person at the club who actually care about the club and whose ambition matches the club with our stature and resources. The board, players, and even some fans do not have the same ambition , some of them even care more about the players than our club. 2 years since he was sacked we are absolutely going backward instead of progressing. Everything he said about our club and its player were spot on.

Last edited:

UncleBob

The man has gone his entire career like this and we're pretending it's down to Abramovich :lol:

Mint.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
He’s banned us all from having a opinion on the national treasure. Forbidden.

Why are you speaking about us? Speak about Liverpool,Manchester United,City and others with “clever” players and getting penalties. Don’t speak about Harry Kane”

HJ12

Why are you speaking about us? Speak about Liverpool,Manchester United,City and others with “clever” players and getting penalties. Don’t speak about Harry Kane”
Guy really grates me sometimes, especially when he goes into self-preservation mode: "Quick, which other clubs/players can I drag down in this conversation as well."

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Harry Kane had to do an interview 'justifying' the penalty ffs. Have Salah or Mane had to do that?