Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
His second season is always his best, no surprise Spurs are doing ok. But it’s usually this season or bust, time and time again over the last 20 years of Jose‘ career the third season onwards is always a downward spiral.

He’ll fiz out and so will his players, the only question is can he get a trophy before it goes tits up?

I wonder if we’ll see the old contract extension after Christmas then next season ‘grumpy’ Jose appears after not getting his summer targets. Can read him like a book.
That they are doing relatively well now should actually be surprising to most as he's been labelled a dinosaur/poisonous/whatever by so many on here who keep following his career in the hope of some enormous schadenfreude.

If we look at his career as a whole, this is not surprising. But so many on here love to hate him and were definitely not expecting him to do anything other than prove how past it he is at Spurs.

wolvored

You can just see Jose winning the league this season. It can only happen to Utd.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Then why did you appoint him? He's a manager who unapologetically focuses on immediate success at any cost, appointing him for a rebuild or a long term project is a waste, anyone who appoints Mou should take the Inter approach, accept his MO and throw everything you can into getting that quick success.

He won't change either (you're starting to really see that now with his approach since the WHU game), with all due respect he wouldn't change for the biggest club the world, the club he made his name at or his supposed dream job so he won't be breaking that trend for anyone else.
He was brought in to win something, he was never expected to win the league. I have not said he is going to change, but clearly when he joined us he joined knowing that he wouldn't get the level of players he was used to at other clubs and he wouldn't have had the expectation of being titles winners, I don't know a Spurs fan who expects us or even thought we had a chance of winning the league.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Spurs were like 50-1 to win the league this year so even a challenge for the title is overachieving for them.
Their target is to break back into top 4 and win a trophy of some sort. 1 of these is a decent season for them and achieving both would be success in a way.
They have a ridiculously hard run coming up so cant see them being near the top by December.
If they are then who knows...
Mourinho needs backing from players and board which he currently has but he struggled with the likes of Pogba/Shaw/Martial and didnt have board or fan support to move them on.
Also I think a lot of Spurs season rests on Bale. He will play a lot of minutes and could be a big success or end up a disaster like Sanchez at United. That could decide their season

Guy Incognito

You can just see Jose winning the league this season. It can only happen to Utd.
Don't see that happening. The Europa League will take a lot out of the squad, and they would need Kane to be fit at the pivotal points of the season.

It's written for them to win a trophy, possibly the League Cup given their route so far.

Top four is definitely within their grasp. Them or Leicester could break into it from last season's pack.

troylocker

I'm pretty sure they will implode with tougher matches after the break. Back to fighting for top 6 from there on. After their win against us, they have been awfull apart from the first half against West Ham. No need to be talking of title challenges, won't happen...

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Don't see that happening. The Europa League will take a lot out of the squad, and they would need Kane to be fit at the pivotal points of the season.

It's written for them to win a trophy, possibly the League Cup given their route so far.

Top four is definitely within their grasp. Them or Leicester could break into it from last season's pack.
European competitions will take a lot out of all the title contenders - it doesn't affect Spurs more than anyone else.

Moreover, you could pick a key player from all the contenders - e.g. De Bruyne from City or Vardy from Leicester - and say that they might struggle without them. Again it doesn't especially affect Spurs more than anyone else.

OleBoiii

I think people underestimated the value of Kane and Son. The best goalscorer and arguably the best winger(these days) in the league + a manager famous for his good defensive setup = danger.

Mourinho got 81 points with a team that's weaker than this Spurs team(at least in attack). And he would probably have gotten closer to 85 points if didn't autopilot the last few games. Provided we don't get another freak season where the title winner breaks 90 points, I reckon Mourinho has a very good chance of winning it.

USREDEVIL

Pool, City, Leceister, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal....whooo boy it's gonna be a fight for fourth. Maybe we should upgrade a winger and CB for the fight.

bondsname

I think Mourinho may be an underdog type of manager, I mean think about it...

Porto, Chelsea, Inter...

Chelsea in hindsight is not a "underdog" type of team, they had lots and lots of talent in their squad and spent lots of money, but Jose won their first title for them in 50 years when he got there.

I'm just saying, he might be the perfect manager for teams that want to win everything, but hasn't necessarily done so, and he can give those players the confidence, and the grit to win major honours. Might be a good fit for Spurs if that's case.

All speculation of course, just a thought.

Guy Incognito

European competitions will take a lot out of all the title contenders - it doesn't affect Spurs more than anyone else.

Moreover, you could pick a key player from all the contenders - e.g. De Bruyne from City or Vardy from Leicester - and say that they might struggle without them. Again it doesn't especially affect Spurs more than anyone else.
No side has won the league with a Thursday-Sunday routine.

wolvored

I'm pretty sure they will implode with tougher matches after the break. Back to fighting for top 6 from there on. After their win against us, they have been awfull apart from the first half against West Ham. No need to be talking of title challenges, won't happen...
They dont need good performances, just need Kane Son or Bale to score.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I've watched a fair bit of Spurs this season and they don't look very good IMO. They've had a favourable fixture list and are sneaking wins.

The next 7 league matches are:

City
Chelsea
Palace
Arsenal
Liverpool
Leicester
Wolves

We'll know a lot more about them after that run of games.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No side has won the league with a Thursday-Sunday routine.
It's a 3 day gap. It equals the 3 day gap from Wednesday to Saturday for some CL teams.

No EL team has won the Prem title because teams that qualified for the EL the previous season have so far not been generally as good (in the following season) as teams that finished top 4 in that same season. It has nothing to do with the scheduling.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It's a 3 day gap. It equals the 3 day gap from Wednesday to Saturday for some CL teams.

No EL team has won the Prem title because teams that qualified for the EL the previous season have so far not been generally as good (in the following season) as teams that finished top 4 in that same season. It has nothing to do with the scheduling.
Are you going to continue to post on here when Spurs’ hopes hit the buffers, or will it be another disappearing act?

cyberman

Chelsea and Leicester have won leagues from finishing outside the top 4 within the last few years so EL does play a part.
Literally everybody on each side of EL places have won leagues titles.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Are you going to continue to post on here when Spurs’ hopes hit the buffers, or will it be another disappearing act?
I'm going to continue posting about football, rather than making false claims about individual posters. The most recent poster who made the same false claim pointed to the closing stages of last season, but didn't seem to realise that this was a period when Spurs had a very good run of results .... even tho' I chose not to comment on any of them and was in fact taking an extended break from all things internet.

My advice is talk about what you know - assuming you know things about football - rather than talking about individual posters and things you know nothing of.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Chelsea and Leicester have won leagues from finishing outside the top 4 within the last few years so EL does play a part.
Literally everybody on each side of EL places have won leagues titles.
Tell me why the 3 day gap from Thursday to Sunday is worse than the 3 day gap from Wednesday to Saturday.

LVGSdive

I don't think they will win it. I know it's only one game but I don't think a title winning team would lose a 3-0 lead at home in the 82nd minute.

Although no doubt someone will be ready and waiting with a stat that shows this has been done before.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Tell me why the 3 day gap from Thursday to Sunday is worse than the 3 day gap from Wednesday to Saturday.
It is not. We are not seeing any effects that Europa league is causing problems to teams so far.
Leicester top of the league and Spurs in second place.
I guess Arsenal is doing badly though, but why blame playing in Europe?

Dominos

You guys keep saying "he will be negative , he will turn toxic" without realizing what makes him toxic in first place and why he became toxic in the end with United. It's because the board / Woodward back the players ( such as Pogba, Martial and Rashford ) over him. At United he had players who threw tantrum just because of shirt number, at United he had players who scream "attack, attack , attack , united way" on the media which literally undermine his position as manager , so many players cried when he publicly criticized them instead of trying to prove him wrong on the pitch, he also has the board who thought they know about football better than him, i am pretty sure he didn't want to start Pogba at all in his last season let alone giving him captaincy but Ed Woodward force him to . All those thing doesn't exist at Spurs ,did you watch the spurs documentary and see how Levy literally adored him ? At Spurs he is their most important person, he has mature and professional players who only focused at football , players who trust and bought into his ideas , he made Kane and Son tracking back and playing like CB/Fullback but none of them cried to the media because of it. These players has been trophyless for so long so they won't have inflated ego to class with him and if he had a beef with players he can simply get rid of them no problem without anyone questioning ( example, Dele Alli and Danny Rose ) which is why i am very sure he won't turn toxic there.
I prefer to have this kind of manager than the one who grinning from ear to ear when losing.
And how do you excuse his fallout with the Madrid squad and Chelsea squad right before he joined United. Is it always the board's fault?

Dominos

Surely with champions league you end up playing a variety of

Tuesday-Saturday
Tuesday-Sunday
Wednesday-Saturday
Wednesday-Sunday

Only 1 of those 4 scenarios gives the same amount of rest days as the europa league teams. There's also 2 extra games to play in the europa league (round of 32) if you reach the final compared to CL teams.

I don't know how much effect Europa has on league form (if any), would need to look at some analysis of the stats, but it's certainly not something that's been made up this season to bash Spurs. It's said about every team in Europa every year.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Its not the same because in the CL you play on Wednesday's every other matchday and quite often when you do play Wednesday you get a Sunday game in the PL.

So in reality you have a three game turnover about 30% of the time compared to 100% in Europa.

Paul_Scholes18

Surely with champions league you end up playing a variety of

Tuesday-Saturday
Tuesday-Sunday
Wednesday-Saturday
Wednesday-Sunday

Only 1 of those 4 scenarios gives the same amount of rest days as the europa league teams. There's also 2 extra games to play in the europa league (round of 32) if you reach the final compared to CL teams.

I don't know how much effect Europa has on league form (if any), would need to look at some analysis of the stats, but it's certainly not something that's been made up this season to bash Spurs. It's said about every team in Europa every year.
Overall it is the same though. 2 games per 7 days on average if we do not include IB.

CL should give more fatigue though since teams in that tournament rotates less.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Overall it is the same though. 2 games per 7 days on average if we do not include IB.

CL should give more fatigue though since teams in that tournament rotates less.
Exactly so. In the end, depending on how far each team goes in their respective European competitions, it's the same number of games in the same period of time. There is no magical scheduling advantage to playing in the CL.

cyberman

Because youre always the one playing catchup. You have more rounds to play and are likely to go further because of the shit level of competition youre up against.
Youre guarenteed to play Thursday to Sunday while the CL teams are rotated from Tuesday to Wednesday.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's down to a few factors, not least distance travelled. Depends on your CL/EL group

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Because youre always the one playing catchup. You have more rounds to play and are likely to go further because of the shit level of competition youre up against.
Youre guarenteed to play Thursday to Sunday while the CL teams are rotated from Tuesday to Wednesday.
Always? It's early days, but right now there is only one team that is not looking up the table towards Spurs: are these other teams not having to play catch-up?

The lower level of competition means more scope for resting and rotating your better players. So it's swings and roundabouts.

To say that Spurs are disadvantaged in the league (compared to other potential title contenders) because of EL participation doesn't really hold water.

cyberman

Always? It's early days, but right now there is only one team that is not looking up the table towards Spurs: are these other teams not having to play catch-up?

The lower level of competition means more scope for resting and rotating your better players. So it's swings and roundabouts.

To say that Spurs are disadvantaged in the league (compared to other potential title contenders) because of EL participation doesn't really hold water.
Catchup in terms of playing after rivals have.
You arent exactly resting your players though. Kane has played in all but 1 of those 6 games and even played 3 times in the qualifiers The one time you did rotate Jose subbed 4 off at half time and told the world this is why they dont play.
You have already played 6 times in Europe this season and have been looking tired over the last 3 games. Those last 3 games have all been after your first 3 group stage matches. The evidence is already there.
You can argue all you want but its a proven fact that EL stops you competing for top titles no matter how hard you want to argue against it.
Add in Spurs being Spurs and its a ridiculous argument to make.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Top 4 and a trophy is what they need this season, one for finances and the other to get some winning mentality into squad (and Mourinho started both spells at Chelsea with a league cup).

All very achievable with their start and general squad strength. Can see them not being far off winning the europa aswell although always hard to predict who'll be in that competition after xmas and you also need a bit of luck with knock out draw.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Catchup in terms of playing after rivals have.
You arent exactly resting your players though. Kane has played in all but 1 of those 6 games and even played 3 times in the qualifiers The one time you did rotate Jose subbed 4 off at half time and told the world this is why they dont play.
You have already played 6 times in Europe this season and have been looking tired over the last 3 games. Those last 3 games have all been after your first 3 group stage matches. The evidence is already there.
You can argue all you want but its a proven fact that EL stops you competing for top titles no matter how hard you want to argue against it.
Add in Spurs being Spurs and its a ridiculous argument to make.
And yet we're 2nd in the table and have won all of our last 3 league games ... so your "evidence" looks shaky.

Paul_Scholes18

Exactly so. In the end, depending on how far each team goes in their respective European competitions, it's the same number of games in the same period of time. There is no magical scheduling advantage to playing in the CL.
Nope, but if you go far in EL it is two more games to be played. So come spring it could be easier to play in CL if you go very far.
Two games is not very much though and teams have cup games too.

If you want players rested there is lots of time to do it in the cups if you want.

Over christmas is the hard part for all sides though.

He'sRaldo

In my opinion, José is a significantly better manager and coach than Ole is.
But the thing is that the club and its players have to buy in to his methods.
Methods which have been highly successful at every club he has been at.
And if that doesn't happen, then the outcome is not good.

What he has done at Tottenham is clear to see.
Defensively well organised.
Difficult to beat.
And every player having to produce 8/10 performances on a consistent basis.

Initially that happened at OT (81 points year 2), but as soon as a number of players who had not bought in to his methods and were dropped as a result, there was disharmony.

So, providing you stick with his methods, you will be successful.
If not, we know what happens.
We bought into his methods for 2 seasons, but ultimately decided the methods weren't good enough. And rightly so, especially when our direct rivals were winning everything with scintillating football.

We didn't need Jose to simply be better than Ole or even LVG, we needed him to best the app. 100 point tallies of City and Liverpool. Preferably while playing a great style, since others have shown that contrary to Jose's assertions, you can indeed play great football and win a lot of matches.

Add to that his poor man management of everyone including his won boss, it's no wonder he had a falling out with practically the entire club.

cyberman

And yet we're 2nd in the table and have won all of our last 3 league games ... so your "evidence" looks shaky.
And Leicester are top. So were Southampton this week. Youre only ahead of Villa because you playes a game more.
There is nothing to take away from the table other than its been madness.
Funny how you resort back to facts are Spurs are second well facts are EL sides have never competed for the title. You arent even top after an extremly favourable set of fixtures, whats the takeasay here? Its why your next run is so horrendous, its because your run until now has been on the easy side.

VivaRonaldo85

Got a horrible feeling he will sniff out the opportunism of this strange season and will win them at least one trophy this season. I think they’re a big threat for top 4 too. Jose will revel in all other teams issues and latch on to it like a cheap suit.