Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Your injury argument falls down when you're comparing with us though @balaks as we had Pogba out along with Rashford. Rashford missed 7 of the 24 games, Pogba missed 15. We both had problems with injuries yet we were still able to maintain our attacking threat.

Kane missed 8 of the 24, Son missed 3.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Your injury argument falls down when you're comparing with us though @balaks as we had Pogba out along with Rashford. Rashford missed 7 of the 24 games, Pogba missed 15. We both had problems with injuries yet we were still able to maintain our attacking threat.

Kane missed 8 of the 24, Son missed 3.
Im trying not to do that and keep it general but everybody (for obvious reasons) keeps making the utd comparison which then draws me into it.
It is impossible to discuss Jose in here without everyone bringing their Utd baggage into it. I totally get why that is of course.

E-mal

He got you second place in the league. Id say that's a significant improvement on not making top 4
In his approximately 3 years here, we made top 4 once, pretty poor really. Even when we came second, you could see there where issues and with time it would come crumbling.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Jose on Utd

“I sink that they’ve been lucky and everybody knows...In a way that others haven’t”

Love the way he tries to draw others into his collusion. The media loves this guy. They know he can't resist having a pop at other teams and managers. The difference now being that he’s no longer at a title chasing club, and it’s just perceived as small time

At this point I am convinced you just enjoy arguing for the sake of it :lol: He's an awful manager for you, just like he was for us. When he's gone from Spurs in a year or so we can all bash him in harmony. You should be touched that so many United fans are trying to convince you he's wrong for you.

Supports
England
I'm a fan of xG and I quote it occassionally myself. It is useful in proving certain points but it is dangerous to jump to conclusion solely based on these stats without considering the context, just like you said. I don't think it's applicable in this case though. Mourinho's sides always look inferior in this aspect, but this doesn't necessarily mean he is a poor manager. We won the Europa with an xG of 1.1 (against Ajax's 1.7) but anyone who saw the match knew we were the better team and we were going to win the game. Mourinho's biggest strength is his defefensive tactic, which is never fairly reflected in these stats.
Good post. I didn't fully agree with the poster who was using xG stats to condemn Mourinho at Spurs (mostly just trying to reject the response that those stats are nonsense -- though people misapplying them definitely doesn't help my case!).

Mourinho has been around for long enough now that xG comparisons with an appropriate control (e.g. Spurs under Poch since c. the start of 2019) are sufficiently powerful in stats terms and provide useful data but only for measuring the potency of Spurs' attack.

You're right, of course: even a hypothetically perfect xG model tells you little or nothing about the overall quality of the performances outside of scoring goals (and maybe forward play, more broadly). JM is a defensive manager and he's probably not going to look good if xG is your only measuring stick. It'd be interesting to see an xGA analysis of JM's Spurs against Poch's Spurs but that still wouldn't tell the whole story.

Past a certain point, however, you have to ask whether a team that's struggling for consistent safe wins and that could fairly be described as leaky (with only a few clean sheets under Mourinho) needs to score more goals. And then the xG analysis suddenly becomes very relevant. I'm at the stage now where I think he either needs to massively improve the team at the back (the goals Spurs have been conceding since the restart have mostly been tragic) or he needs to start thinking about simply outscoring opponents and twisting more often than sticking. So I think the merit of the xG analysis is actually probably increasing all the time.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Im trying not to do that and keep it general but everybody (for obvious reasons) keeps making the utd comparison which then draws me into it.
It is impossible to discuss Jose in here without everyone bringing their Utd baggage into it. I totally get why that is of course.
It's because Jose threw shade at us for being 'lucky' which i'm pretty sure he's alluding to the amount of penalities we've had. You also have to understand that the majority of United fans are sick of him, he's toxic as you will discover. Whether the gamble of Jose works for your club and you finally get a trophy is the big question as i'm pretty sure you won't give a shit if it ends in a mess as long as you got a trophy. Which is fair enough.

Strelok

Injuries destroyed our season. That's not on Jose, that's on Levy for not adequately buying players we needed to ensure we coped without Kane or Son.
Definitely. I really hope he would stay with you guys for another 10 years. Surely this summer he'll have a big war chest to fix all the problem, if there's any.

But first, please win next match. You have all my trust and hope Jose.

hmchan

Many United fans tend to hold a grudge towards previous managers and attempt to tease them as soon as they find a chance. It is understandable considering these managers have let them down before but this refrains them from making a fair assessment to these managers, even after they've left. In another thread I'm trying to explain the fact that Moyes has now saved West Ham twice from relegation but people just simply ignore the fact, try to discredit and mock him in many ways.

Here we see many criticize Mourinho by singling out the attacking department, which is undoubtedly his major weakness. It's funny to see your points being denied, as many use the exact same points to defend Ole. It's fine for us to lose to Burnley at home, because Pogba and Rashford were out; but it's Mourinho's fault for drawing Burnley away when Kane and Son were out. We can buy Bruno for 60m, but Mourinho has to use a 17 yo because it's wrong for him to adopt a quick fix.

Tbh I'm not pretending that I know Spurs very well and I don't want to participate in this discussion too much. But it's irritating to see people adopt double standards and I absolutely understand your feeling.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Definitely acting up for the cameras and the cnut speech will get sent up in a PaddyPower ad in a few months time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's funny to see your points being denied, as many use the exact same points to defend Ole. It's fine for us to lose to Burnley at home, because Pogba and Rashford were out; but it's Mourinho's fault for drawing Burnley away when Kane and Son were out. We can buy Bruno for 60m, but Mourinho has to use a 17 yo because it's wrong for him to adopt a quick fix.
It's funny when people make up random things.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Many United fans tend to hold a grudge towards previous managers and attempt to tease them as soon as they find a chance. It is understandable considering these managers have let them down before but this refrains them from making a fair assessment to these managers, even after they've left. In another thread I'm trying to explain the fact that Moyes has now saved West Ham twice from relegation but people just simply ignore the fact, try to discredit and mock him in many ways.

Here we see many criticize Mourinho by singling out the attacking department, which is undoubtedly his major weakness. It's funny to see your points being denied, as many use the exact same points to defend Ole. It's fine for us to lose to Burnley at home, because Pogba and Rashford were out; but it's Mourinho's fault for drawing Burnley away when Kane and Son were out. We can buy Bruno for 60m, but Mourinho has to use a 17 yo because it's wrong for him to adopt a quick fix.

Tbh I'm not pretending that I know Spurs very well and I don't want to participate in this discussion too much. But it's irritating to see people adopt double standards and I absolutely understand your feeling.
Thanks mate - it is hard to believe but since Jose became manager at Spurs only Utd, Liverpool and City have scored more points.

ExecutionerWasp001

It may end up being a smart hire by Levy. With the lack of transfer money that's going to be available, their time as a CL club is at an end for the foreseeable future.

If Jose can keep qualifying for the Europa for a few years & maybe win it and/or win a League Cup too, it may work out. Can Jose's ego handle not competing at the top though.

alexthelion

So almost half of them. I'm confident Jose will get our attack working eventually.
Oh poor, deluded fool.

Don't worry, though, you'll soon realise your mistake and wish with all your heart for Jose to be gone.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Just bloody beat Leicetser now please! I am not going to watch most of the game so bore everyone out too please!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Thanks mate - it is hard to believe but since Jose became manager at Spurs only Utd, Liverpool and City have scored more points.
Yeah, you see, you're still at the 'I'll accept the mind-numbingly dull football if it brings the team success' stage, so it's pointless debating with you right now.

I won't hold that against you, we've all been there.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, you see, you're still at the 'I'll accept the mind-numbingly dull football if it brings the team success' stage, so it's pointless debating with you right now.

I won't hold that against you, we've all been there.
Ill gladly take awful football if we win stuff.

Paul_Scholes18

Will he be able to stop us and City in the league cup next season? That is probably the best bet for Spurs title.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
@balaks Been seeing your comments in this thread for a while now, think you've nicely batted off a huge amount of bait and criticism and you're obviously very level headed about Jose and how things will work out with him at Spurs.

Personally, I think it'll only get worse. I really do think the gig is up with him but I'm interested to know what signings you think are necessary and if Jose's signings will really mirror that in any way?

I just can't get over the fact that he wanted the likes of Martial out for us and the likes of Perisic in. You must see yourself that that would have been a disaster if it really happened.

Do you not have concerns that he could act similarly at Spurs or do you really think he'll hold onto your more exciting players, get rid of deadwood and bring in top potential? I just don't see it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
But what if you don't?
Well obviously ill not be happy. But i haven't been happy as a spurs fan for about 30 years apart from the odd moment here or there. You guys have literally no clue what its like to support a team that generally has had not much success or chance at winning stuff for decades.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
@balaks Been seeing your comments in this thread for a while now, think you've nicely batted off a huge amount of bait and criticism and you're obviously very level headed about Jose and how things will work out with him at Spurs.

Personally, I think it'll only get worse. I really do think the gig is up with him but I'm interested to know what signings you think are necessary and if Jose's signings will really mirror that in any way?

I just can't get over the fact that he wanted the likes of Martial out for us and the likes of Perisic in. You must see yourself that that would have been a disaster if it really happened.

Do you not have concerns that he could act similarly at Spurs or do you really think he'll hold onto your more exciting players, get rid of deadwood and bring in top potential? I just don't see it.
We need a defensive midfielder and a right back as priority. A backup striker is also required. I think he will sell one or two players and bring in 3 at most. That's probably all we need right now. Im hopeful he can get us moving the right direction. We do need to sort out the defence so possibly a central defender too.

Jackal981

Well obviously ill not be happy. But i haven't been happy as a spurs fan for about 30 years apart from the odd moment here or there. You guys have literally no clue what its like to support a team that generally has had not much success or chance at winning stuff for decades.
Sorry, no disrespect but I don’t see Mou winning any trophy in Spurs. Certainly not if he is not backed by Levy. This is a man who spent almost 400M buying players he apparently want to kick out somehow (Pogba??) and all he can show is some second rate European trophy and mickey mouse cup. I dont see he is going to spend anywhere near that amount in Spurs. His football makes me want to gouge my eyes and I am ashamed to say that I stopped watching United (for the first time in 15 years) for a while under him because the football is so tumescent and mind numbingly painful.

cyberman

I read a post on Reddit that reminded me that Pogba, Rashford and Martial all started on the bench in our game v Sevilla.

Jackal981

I read a post on Reddit that reminded me that Pogba, Rashford and Martial all started on the bench in our game v Sevilla.
His post match press con was a disgrace. Cannot wait what shite will he spew at Spurs. I sometimes wonder if Sir Matt Busby is still alive would he kill Mou that night.

Paul_Scholes18

Yeah Pogba didn't start either game. It was at a negative time between him and Mourinho.
Sanchez started both games too.

hmchan

We need a defensive midfielder and a right back as priority. A backup striker is also required. I think he will sell one or two players and bring in 3 at most. That's probably all we need right now. Im hopeful he can get us moving the right direction. We do need to sort out the defence so possibly a central defender too.
Mourinho didn't have the best transfer record at United, but his signings haven't been too bad overall. He is good at spotting the weakest links in the team, and he likes to apply quick fixes to them. When it works it buys you instant success just like Chelsea's Costa and Fabregas, who were both integral to their title winning seaaon. When it doesn't it leaves you an Alexis situation. Bergwijn has been the only signing he's made at Spurs so far (not including Gedson's loan) and he looks a promising deal, though United fans may not admit it as he humiliated Maguire and de Gea.

United58

It may end up being a smart hire by Levy. With the lack of transfer money that's going to be available, their time as a CL club is at an end for the foreseeable future.

If Jose can keep qualifying for the Europa for a few years & maybe win it and/or win a League Cup too, it may work out. Can Jose's ego handle not competing at the top though.
Would it not have made more sense to hire a young, progressive manager (for example, from the Bundesliga - that seems a breeding ground for those type of managers) who'd promote youth and play attacking football with Son, Eriksen (maybe he was always going to leave but would have still had a full season), Alli, Kane, N'Dombele etc. if there wasn't much money available?

United58

Will he be able to stop us and City in the league cup next season? That is probably the best bet for Spurs title.
The domestic cups are City's for the foreseeable future, given how deep their squad is and how heavily they invest every summer. Our squad is too thin for that - look at how poor we were against Norwich in the FA Cup