Jose Mourinho's press conference - Brighton (FA Cup) - 14:00 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denis79

Epic from Jose. Great stuff.
Think it will have the opposite effect and put even more pressure on him in a important part of the season. A good reaction vs Brighton will help alot I hope. I would like if he took the press less seriously but that's me.

AshRK

Mate, Utd were never win this CL with THIS squad. I think the sooner you all accept it the better you will feel. Ok you should’ve beat Sevilla but would you beat Bayern? Or Real?

You don’t deserve to go out but do you deserve to go through? Fans need to be honest with themselves me thinks. Seems like that’s what your manager is communicating.
Not at all saying we deserved to go through or not but the fact that Jose is feeding his own ego rather than just admitting it that his t actics were the reason we are out is why fans are pissed at him. I am not Jose out or anything but he must change or it will be a long sad goodbye for him.

rosenivanov

I'm a bit confused, because his favourite plan A player is from the heritage he is now using as an excuse. And in that heritage, Marouane Fellaini along with the Rooney new contract is the worst part, by far.

Also, you say every time how happy you are with the squad you have, you have an opportunity to buy more than just 3 players in a summer window, also to get rid of the bad ones, that's 4 transfers windows, and now comes this? I personally am sick and tired of this guys hypocrisy and his double standards towards everything, but mostly toward his players.

Also, he is so clearly past it, we had two or three games in the beginning of the season where we were fun to watch, and play well, since then we are just awful, even when we win. We are so easy to play against, even some youtubers wannabes are exposing us now. And to be outcoached by Vinzenzo Montella, then to come out to talk about heritage, well, that's a low and a it is a big one.

Kapardin

I agree with him on almost everything that he said. We have become spoiled as a fanbase and I think we underestimate the damage that Moyes and LVG did to the club.

It is a process. Yes the performance against Sevilla was woeful, but when your team is average in certain areas of the pitch, these performances will happen. Guardiola inherited a strong foundation of players, built on it, and turned it into something amazing.

We have the foundation now (Pogba, Lukaku, Bailly, De Gea, Sanchez, Matic), now we need to build on that to become a powerhouse again.
I agree that we cannot hope for more than what we have done in the league. I also accept Jose has improved the squad, and I fully back him to bring us back to the top in the future.

But saying that, don't you think that this squad can score more than 1 goal against Sevilla over two legs? The criticism is for this tie only. And even an average United team should be beating the likes of Sevilla.

Pyro19

If the players lack the desire, then maybe they shouldn’t be in Man Utd from the outset.

Jose also alluded to the fact that the players that left the club in the last 2 years don’t play often or are all playing for inferior teams.

In other words, we have invested poorly since Fergie.
I agree.

Is the manager not the one who decides these things, Jose's had 2 years and 4 transfer windows to sort it out. Yet he desperately wants to hang on to an injury prone Fellaini and his signings - Pogba, Sanchez, Lindelof, Mkhitaryan have all been underperforming.

Simply, the buck starts and stops with the Manager.

Fully Fledged

Mate, Utd were never win this CL with THIS squad. I think the sooner you all accept it the better you will feel. Ok you should’ve beat Sevilla but would you beat Bayern? Or Real?

You don’t deserve to go out but do you deserve to go through? Fans need to be honest with themselves me thinks. Seems like that’s what your manager is communicating.
No. I wanted us in the last 8 That puts you between the 5th and 8th best team in Europe. That is an achievement.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I’m still not sure there are clear candidates who would have an instant impact on our play while retaining the passable results Mou has had, so I’m not really sure. I just don’t buy the excuses though, man up, you’re the Manchester United manager!
Yeah, I don't think there is a manager out there who can wave his magic wand and get us better results with a swashbuckling style of play immediately. I'm not sure what people want Jose to say. This isn't comparable to Moyes like some mention, as Moyes was clearly out of depth, whereas Jose is a good politician. He knows how to navigate the media. And he's been attacked viciously this week. I'm not sure it's ideal to say "yes I made huge mistakes in that tie, I'm a coward". Do people think that will have a positive effect on the team for the remainder of the season? I don't.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You will get over it.
Believe me, I'm cool.
The funny thing is that,
Some posters in the Man City thread , who were giving me grief for saying I don't think we can beat this City side to the title for a while, at least not next year are here saying our squad is complete gash and Mourinho is working with planks of wood.

Jacko21

It sounds like he’s cracking up. I’d want rid of him but there’s nobody better available.

Is this job impossible at this point? I can’t imagine many coaches seeing us as a dream job.
On the contrary I thought. He was completely measured - measured responses don't constitute cracking up.

Everything he pointed out is true, there's no getting around that.

If he'd of gone into the presser looking downbeat and defeated, we'd have a big problem on our hands. As it is, Mourinho looked as motivated as ever to work with the club in order to bring about change.

Handré1990

Think people would have been happier if we had beaten Sevilla, but Jose would have still got pelters for the football. I agree I cannot see a good candidate to replace Jose at the moment, so might as well keep him for now. I do not want Carlo, we will just stand still as a club.
Yeah, that’s a given. Never liked his brand of football (bar first Chelsea side), but I like his character, probably because of his maniacal belief which used to rub off on his players. Thing is, he’s a results manager, so when he fails so spectacularly like this week, he’s going to feel the heat. Like, I will support him and the club always, but I’m feeling a bit of fear for the immediate future.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hold on, so has he improved us since Moyes' time or not? It can't be both we were better then that's why Moyes got us further and Jose's improved us as a squad/team. It has to be one or the other.
I'd argue that the squad is better than the one Fergie left, which is a credit to Mourinho as quite a few core players are his signings. That's what makes the champions league exit such a disappointment though, he can't improve our squad and think the fans expectations won't go up.
Mourinho deserves no excuses for that exit, he got it wrong and should at the very least move on from it if he isn't going to take the blame.

Bobski

So you are saying we are so bad that even Sevilla should scare us. A team that cost much less than what mourinho has spent. A team that has had 5 goals put past them on 5 occasions this season, a team that has been outscored in La liga by all but 1 of the top 10. A team who goals against record is only better than 5 other teams in La liga.

The standards have well and truly fallen, should we be expected to beat Brighton or is too much too?
No, I am saying the complete opposite, my form of sarcasm does not translate well in writing. Fergie attacked a star studded Madrid with a collection of parts, veterans and squad players, Mou will not have a go against Sevilla despite having the clear advantage in talent in that tie. What would it take for him to go at Sevilla then 2/3 more world class player? What about an actual top side? The world 11?

DevilRed

Headlines will now be about Jose Mourinho.

Not Paul Pogba. Not Sanchez. Not Rashford.

Seen this before. Sir Alex has done the same before.

On the other hand, he does make sense. People need some perspective. This team was never going to go far in the champs league. We came from the fecking Europa league last year and finished 6th ffs.

Throwing money at the team will improve it. But it wont make a team cohesive and gel together immediately. This takes time. Just like it did when Ronaldo and Rooney joined the club.

Patience is required but progress has been positive for the most part this year. If we can win the FA Cup that would be ideal.

MrPooni

Hold on, so has he improved us since Moyes' time or not? It can't be both we were better then that's why Moyes got us further and Jose's improved us as a squad/team. It has to be one or the other.
Under Moyes we were knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round by Swansea at home and finished 7th in the league. Yes, he got us one stage further than Mourinho in the Champions League but he also had Olympiacos in the round of 16 so I have no idea how you can make this argument with a straight face.

Handré1990

Yeah, I don't think there is a manager out there who can wave his magic wand and get us better results with a swashbuckling style of play immediately. I'm not sure what people want Jose to say. This isn't comparable to Moyes like some mention, as Moyes was clearly out of depth, whereas Jose is a good politician. He knows how to navigate the media. And he's been attacked viciously this week. I'm not sure it's ideal to say "yes I made huge mistakes in that tie, I'm a coward". Do people think that will have a positive effect on the team for the remainder of the season? I don't.
«We failed as a team, I failed as the manager, we should do better» how hard is that? Telling the honest truth?

Instead we get «this is normal for ManUtd».

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Think it will have the opposite effect and put even more pressure on him in a important part of the season. A good reaction vs Brighton will help alot I hope. I would like if he took the press less seriously but that's me.
I like his style in that I learn far more about his mindset than the usual drab, generic pressers Moyes and LvG used to have.

Kapardin

At the end of the day, I hope the players play with as much passion as Jose's mouth today, we would be twatting most teams if so.

devips

It was the Sevilla change which his fans seem to completely forget. Had they had Yedder on from the beginning the tie would have been over before half time.
If Yedder was all that, he would have been on from the beginning!

Fluctuation0161

Your assumption is so flawed I genuinely don't know where to start!

Of course it can be both. Are you forgetting LVG? Moyes had most of the players leftover from Fergie's reign at that time too. Moyes was the start of the decline.

Considering the Sevilla game was our first knockout CL game at OT for 4 years I think we can say it is an improvement. Despite the weak performance and disappointing result.

MrPooni

I like his style in that I learn far more about his mindset than the usual drab, generic pressers Moyes and LvG used to have.
I refuse to accept any Van Gaal press conference slander on this forum. For all his faults, his pressers still remain a highlight of his tenure here.

Fully Fledged

I'd argue that the squad is better than the one Fergie left, which is a credit to Mourinho as quite a few core players are his signings. That's what makes the champions league exit such a disappointment though, he can't improve our squad and think the fans expectations won't go up.
Mourinho deserves no excuses for that exit, he got it wrong and should at the very least move on from it if he isn't going to take the blame.
I agree. I think the squad is a lot better than the one SAF left. I also agree that there are no excuses.

He didn't have to say that he made a mistake. he could have just said something like he understood the fans disappointment at going out. He and the players are also disappointed but now is the time to look forward to the FA cup quarter final against BHA. He did not need to drag the club name through the gutter.

Denis79

No arguing he's more entertaining, just want him to keep focus on the matches and not at defending himself to a press only after headlines.

RedDevil@84

«We failed as a team, I failed as the manager, we should do better» how hard is that? Telling the honest truth?

Most managers don't do it. And I am not even sure the players would want their manager to cut a sorry figure in front of media.

Saad K

Undergoing Verification
I think some of the reactions here are over the top. No one in the football world will doubt Mourinho's mentality. His point about "football heritage" or just the experience of playing in the CL knockout stages (and in the later stages) is completely valid. How many waxed lyrical about Juventus stomping past Spurs because of the grit and experience they have over (the inexperienced in Europe) Spurs?

How many players do we have in the squad who have regularly played in the CL? The football we play is insipid but we have made big progress compared to the years under Moyes and LVG.

RedDevil@84

I refuse to accept any Van Gaal press conference slander on this forum. For all his faults, his pressers still remain a highlight of his tenure here.

I agree. His press cons were always more interesting than the match

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Great to see Mourinho reminding us again that how lucky we are as a club to have him.

"I could be in another country with the league in the pocket, the kind of league that you win before the league"- I hope you do go.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I think he's both shielding the players and playing politics with the board in creating expectations for the summer market. I don't think it would have any desired effect to say he's failed when the media is saying he's a has-been. He's effectively saying feck you, even though he knows he got his tactics and selection wrong IMV. And now we have all the media against him, which I must say, I find rather enjoyable.

Fully Fledged

Under Moyes we were knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round by Swansea at home and finished 7th in the league. Yes, he got us one stage further than Mourinho in the Champions League but he also had Olympiacos in the round of 16 so I have no idea how you can make this argument with a straight face.
Because The Champions League is the pinnacle of club football. The FA cup was a trophy that was important back in the 70's and 80's.

DevilRed

For me it sounds like he really wants to get this right and get back to the top.

Its the ultimate challenge for him. The biggest stage. He sounds determined, but its a half plea to the fans for time and patience.

Bruce Wayne

I believe Jose has different tune with the players behind closed doors. I believe he is giving the history lesson to move away negative attention to underperforming players. I'm sure he is hurt and he is not happy with what he saw in champions league.

Support the team even when we lose or don't play well.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think some of the reactions here are over the top. No one in the football world will doubt Mourinho's mentality. His point about "football heritage" or just the experience of playing in the CL knockout stages (and in the later stages) is completely valid. How many waxed lyrical about Juventus stomping past Spurs because of the grit and experience they have over (the inexperienced in Europe) Spurs?

How many players do we have in the squad who have regularly played in the CL? The football we play is insipid but we have made big progress compared to the years under Moyes and LVG.
Smalling, Valencia, Young, DDG, Sanchez, Pogba, Matic have all played a lot of CL football. That's seven out of our first choice XI right here.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If Yedder was all that, he would have been on from the beginning!
He's had a falling out with the Club. He's a very good player, hence why people who knew him (like me) were nervous about him coming on the pitch on Tuesday. Sevilla also have had a lot of shit thrown at them by United fans, they're a decent club playing in the best league in Europe. It's this normal misunderstanding of fans that think spending money guarantees success.

Fully Fledged

Your assumption is so flawed I genuinely don't know where to start!

Of course it can be both. Are you forgetting LVG? Moyes had most of the players leftover from Fergie's reign at that time too. Moyes was the start of the decline.

Considering the Sevilla game was our first knockout CL game at OT for 4 years I think we can say it is an improvement. Despite the weak performance and disappointing result.
I don't agree that that performance can be an improvement on anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.