Jose Mourinho's press conference - Brighton (FA Cup) - 14:00 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamo123x

People are not turning against him because of the results, it is the football and the experience of watching that turns so many off. Dull, uninspiring football with the occasional moment of individual quality and knowing that as soon as we play a good team you should forget any hopes of Utd taking the initiative.
100% true it is all about the negative mentality and approach

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Mate, Utd were never win this CL with THIS squad. I think the sooner you all accept it the better you will feel. Ok you should’ve beat Sevilla but would you beat Bayern? Or Real?

You don’t deserve to go out but do you deserve to go through? Fans need to be honest with themselves me thinks. Seems like that’s what your manager is communicating.
When we signed Sanchez people on here were saying we can win the CL now. I think this place is quite unbalanced and emotional most of the time (I fall into that trap of RAWKish optimism too, or pathological pessimism).

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Where you happy with that when Moyse said it? Or is it because Jose can do no wrong?
No I wasn't because Moyes took over the current league champions. As someone said City can afford to discard players if they do not make the effort to learn Pep's ways. We, for all we have a lot of money, have wasted loads and still a lot of those players are still here, also a lot of players who Pep would have got shot of, while United hang onto them for old times sake. They are good round the dressing room thing. You might be a laugh round the dressing room, but I wouldn't want you in the team. We had to get signings right and we haven't. It is a perpetual rebuilding job. How long can that excuse go on for?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Im the two season before Pep arrived, City accumulated a mighty 5 more points than we did.
Not saying we are as good but people exaggerate how far ahead they were.
The season before Pep and Jose came, we were separated by GD.
That City squad has been pretty miss-managed before Pep though it has to be said, while yes Mancini and Pellgrini did win titles they should have achieved so much more with the likes of Kompany, Toure, Silva and Aguero as the spine of the team so while points wise they may not have been a millions miles ahead of us they had the makings of a much better side

JohnnyKills

Today was an opportunity to own up to the midweek performance and reassure supporters that we are a talented side that are capable of playing exciting, attacking football. That's what he should be doing.

Instead we get this narcissistic diatribe from a bloke more interested in his own legend than anything else. A bit of paper with our previous Champions League results? I mean, what a fecking walloper this bloke is.
Agree with this. It was about defending his reputation rather than protecting/helping the club.

His own version of Rafa's Rant.

SteveTheRed

If our team isn't good enough to beat Sevilla, then he should be done for wasting £300m.
We are good enough to beat Sevilla ffs!
I wish people would stop believing this crap that our players are complete duds.
It's the players out there that are missing the chances and fecking up the passes, it's Sanchez who misses a great chance in the box generally missing in every game, Rashford with poor delivery, Pogba walking about the pitch when he comes on to try and change the game. List goes on generally.

The whole performance was pathetic, you would not have thought we had an opportunity to make it to the last 8. I don't think you can blame that on Jose, these players are not brain-dead and need to be explicitly told what is at stake, how they should play with passion etc.

Classical Mechanic

He mentions Otamendi.
One of the worst CBs in this league before Pep got there.
He mentions Sterling, average player before Pep got there.
Otamendi was the La Liga defender of the year when City signed him and Sterling was the hottest property in England when they signed him. Hence why they spend £80m combined on them (before the recent hyper inflation)/

Fully Fledged

Nobody really expected us to win the league this season, but up to the Liverpool game there were signs of a team who were scoring goals and were wanting to win, then the Liverpool game seemed to derail them and his attitude as to how results should come about. Not that I think the Liverpool game was a bad result.
I'm talking about the Champions League. With the draw we got last 8 was a must. We limped out in both legs. I wouldn't have minded going out if we went for it the tactics are what caused the embarrassment. An embarrassment that has only been made worse by his dragging our recent history through the mud to make him look better. The thing is Moyes went further than him and he was/is shite.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Some good points made in the presser by Jose. And I'd understand the meltdown of some on here if it was the first season after SAF, it would be a shock. I'd understand it if we we're worse than last year, would be hard to swallow and I'd be asking for the sack as well. But we are playing better than last season, yet some still hold this blind anger towards Mourinho. It's pathetic. One thing more pathetic than the hysterics here though, it's booing the team at Old Trafford. AC Milan has won the CL 7 times, Serie A 18 times, but are in a much worse condition than we are now, and you had Milan fans singing yesterday when they were 5-1 down on aggregate, away from home.
Yeah things aren't perfect but there are better than last year and we're on course to finish inside the top 4 for only the second time since Fergie retired and on course for our highest league finish since Ferguson retired. There are cracks still but we've plastered some of them and will hopefully continue to address the rest.

RedDevil@84

Im the two season before Pep arrived, City accumulated a mighty 5 more points than we did.
Not saying we are as good but people exaggerate how far ahead they were.
The season before Pep and Jose came, we were separated by GD.
I am not saying Jose's rant is justified or correct, but it is very possible for a top team on its way down and a new team on its way up to be in similar position at the end of season. Doesn't mean that the next season they will/should be at same level.

RedorDead21

He raised Sterling, Otamendi, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Aguero and Silva. I said "most" of them have improved significantly. That accounts for the first four, who are playing the best football their career's. Sterling and Otamendi in particular were nowhere near the mark.

They didn't have a much better side either. I've argued this relentlessly before that they had just as many gaping holes as us, albeit with star power we didn't have. Their full backs were horrible, their central midfield non-existent and they didn't have a winger to their name. Hart's form had dropped off a cliff and Kompany had been carrying his partner(s) for about five years. When Van Gaal was sacked we were roughly on par, which was reflected in the league games that year, as well as the table.

The constant suggestion that Guardiola took over this brilliant City side was and still is utter cobblers.
They've had the best team in the league since before SAF went more or less.....certainly the best individuals.....

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is very difficult to watch. I can kind of see where he is coming from, and it's true that we're the best we've been in a while. But that doesn't mean that this is good enough, and if he thinks being better than Moyes and Van Gaal is enough, then he may as well clear his office and get the next plane to Paris.

AndyJ1985

He's starting to become that insufferable twat we all knew him to be when he was at other clubs. I give it a few months before he implodes.

Minimalist

It's confirmed then. Celtic and/or Guangzhou Evergrande are interested in Jose. I'm sure he's not delusional enough to think PSG are after him?

Will he ever stop patronizing the club?
Guess we should be honoured or something...

Rejoice that the great Mourinho has come to little United.

MrPooni

SAF's hubris was directly responsible for the advent of the Glazers' ownership of the club in the first place. He knocked himself off his own perch in the end.
What are you on about? The period under the Glazer's ownership was arguably Sir Alex Ferguson's most consistently successful ever. A Champions League win and two final losses to one of the greatest club sides in history combined with one of our most dominant spells in the league from 2007 onwards.

Minimalist

He's starting to become that insufferable twat we all knew him to be when he was at other clubs. I give it a few months before he implodes.
I think he either wins the title next season (after spending another ton of money) or it goes pear shaped (poor performances, no title challenge, players visibly unhappy) and he’s sacked before he runs around Manchester with his pants on his head.

DomesticTadpole

I misunderstood you then. I do think that if he gets the defense he wants and a midfielder for the balance of the side, we'll be looking good. I don't remember many complaining at the start of the season when we looked better than we have for years.

The question I would have asked him is why he went with a midfield 2 that consisted of players who aren't quick that left huge amounts of space for Sevilla to exploit. A tactical error. Was it that he expected Sevilla to be much worse?
Yep. We are second in the league, it isn't our league standing that is the problem. It is the dour style of football, which is bring criticism from all quarters and is holding this team back.

Jordan_mufc

I agree with him on almost everything that he said. We have become spoiled as a fanbase and I think we underestimate the damage that Moyes and LVG did to the club.

It is a process. Yes the performance against Sevilla was woeful, but when your team is average in certain areas of the pitch, these performances will happen. Guardiola inherited a strong foundation of players, built on it, and turned it into something amazing.

We have the foundation now (Pogba, Lukaku, Bailly, De Gea, Sanchez, Matic), now we need to build on that to become a powerhouse again.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Kind of interesting that when he said the next manager will inherit players like Lukaku and Matic. No mention of Pogba (of course he didn't mention loads of players, but surely Pogba would get mentioned over Matic?)

BigCaine

With a team of De Gea, Rafael, nearly finished Rio, nearly finished Vidic, Evra, Nani, Cleverley, Carrick, 39 yo Giggs, Welbeck and Van Persie, but we should not be expected to attack Sevilla, or any decent team, with the individuals we have.
So you are saying we are so bad that even Sevilla should scare us. A team that cost much less than what mourinho has spent. A team that has had 5 goals put past them on 5 occasions this season, a team that has been outscored in La liga by all but 1 of the top 10. A team who goals against record is only better than 5 other teams in La liga.

The standards have well and truly fallen, should we be expected to beat Brighton or is too much too?

Fully Fledged

No I wasn't because Moyes took over the current league champions. As someone said City can afford to discard players if they do not make the effort to learn Pep's ways. We, for all we have a lot of money, have wasted loads and still a lot of those players are still here, also a lot of players who Pep would have got shot of, while United hang onto them for old times sake. They are good round the dressing room thing. You might be a laugh round the dressing room, but I wouldn't want you in the team. We had to get signings right and we haven't. It is a perpetual rebuilding job. How long can that excuse go on for?
Being behind to Chelsea and Palace showed us how this side can play football when we need to. The fact that we needed to be behind to play this football shows that he is shackling the team. That is why we are where we are and why City are not.

gica_7

I agree with almost everything that he says. It takes years to build a successful football team, especially a giant like Manchester United who relentlessly underinvested for almost 10 years. I agree that City had a better squad and etc. I thank him for reminding us exactly what we have been going through ever since SAF left. And also, reminding us that the last two midfielders Sir Alex signed were Anderson and Hargreaves. BUT, they are not the reasons why United eliminated. They are not the reasons why he was booed.

We all know United has done pretty bad in Europe over the last 5 years. Yet, this team has more upside than any other United team in the last 5 years. That should have been enough to seal the tie.

Today I watched our very first game in this season. We played brilliant, attacking football. This team has regressed during the season. Forget the last 5 years, this team is worse than what it was around september. He should focus more on that, rather than comparing himself to David Moyes.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
There’s a lot of doublethink around United and City. I’m struggling to interpret how people are balancing their conflicting dialogue on the two clubs over recent years.

Many would have much rather had City’s squad pre-Pep and Jose.

Many thought City were a bit complacent and underachieving for years, with Mancini and Pellegrini doing a merely average job.

Many thought Fergie left a poor squad and that managers since have purchased poorly.

I don’t get how given all of that those same people expected United to be performing at the level City have this season? Pep’s done a great job this year, but Mou had a more successful first season and we are still their nearest challenger in the league. It’s City having their annus mirabilis that is the context for this despair. As much as City should be applauded for their on field performances this season, nobody expected that level of performance from either club before the season began.

Am I delighted with this season? No. Has there been disappointments? Yep. Is there someone out there who in all likelihood could have had United competing at City’s level this season or that same level next season? Probably not.

You want Mourinho gone? I hope you can explain in reasonable detail a better medium term plan without him. I cannot.

DomesticTadpole

When we signed Sanchez people on here were saying we can win the CL now. I think this place is quite unbalanced and emotional most of the time (I fall into that trap of RAWKish optimism too, or pathological pessimism).
If we had got the Sanchez we thought we were getting and Pogba was the Pogba we thought we were getting, then there would be a chance of challenging.

lysglimt

Scout
Well in my opinion we have the players to have a chance of winning the C.L - on paper. But that doesn't amount to much when 2 of our best players on paper, are the worst players we have had the last month or so. Pogba-Herrera-Matic - Martial, Sanchez-Lukaku...on paper that is very good.

Would we be favourites to win ? Of course not...but it's not impossible for us to beat most of the teams left in the C.L - on paper!

Web of Bissaka

Twice seeing the press conference.

Basically at the end, he will continue to fight doubters. Which is fine, but try to be more adaptive and more positive tactical wise, no?

Also, the missing ones aside (comments about his approach to the Sevilla game both legs), he did mention one interesting thing.
---Something about once he's left, this team will have players like Lukaku, etc.
-------Fair enough, the least we need him is to inject the squad with a lot more top class quality players, and the next good manager can carry on forward.

DomesticTadpole

Because he inherited Fergies league winning squad. Some of these comparisons are ridiculous!
Then all the mangers have to be looked at, including Jose and our process of buying players. We are looking more and more like a club who need a DOF and a clear plan on the type of football this club and its fans want.

Handré1990

I'll ask you the same question I asked Skills, if we had beaten Sevilla would you want him out?

I'm definitely still pro Mourinho, but I think the tie against Sevilla was the poorest show the team has managed under Jose. Terrible. However, that one tie does not change my opinion and make me think we need to get rid because he's not up to the job. And I agree with him in bringing up the context of recent years, results and player acquisitions. It doesn't excuse the performances against Sevilla, but looking at things overall, it has a lot of weight.
I’m still not sure there are clear candidates who would have an instant impact on our play while retaining the passable results Mou has had, so I’m not really sure. I just don’t buy the excuses though, man up, you’re the Manchester United manager!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Martial had a better season under LVG
Rashford has actually regressed.
So where's Herrera if he was so fantastic last season.
Valencia was already a fullback before Jose arrived.
and the fact that we use the term "Highly Competent" with Ashley Young at fullback describes how bad our team's state actually is.
No way has Rashford regressed. He's not been performing up to scratch since the turn of the year, but he's 20 and bound to have dry spells.
Irrelevant where Herrera is now, he had his best season under Jose and you were wanting to know who's improved since he's been managing us.
Martial's been way more clinical and efficient this season than under LVG. He may have had bigger impacts in his first season, but I'd say his consistency and output has been a level above this time round.
Watch Young against Liverpool and tell me that wasn't a "highly competent" performance by anyone's standard.

MrPooni

This is an odd remark. Some of those players were bang average before Guardiola came in and most of them have improved significantly. If anything, it begs the question: what has Mourinho done to improve the existing players already at the club.

Another fairly desperate media performance. The sort which Moyes and Van Gaal were lambasted for.
It was part of a larger point about how the squad he inherited has regularly finished outside of the top 4 over the last few seasons, whereas City's has consistently finished in the Champions League places over the same period. He also went on to juxtapose the performances of those players with the players that he's sold and he's got a point. Sure there's no excuses for the Sevilla performance but this notion that Mourinho hasn't improved us is ridiculous.

DomesticTadpole

I’m still not sure there are clear candidates who would have an instant impact on our play while retaining the passable results Mou has had, so I’m not really sure. I just don’t buy the excuses though, man up, you’re the Manchester United manager!
Think people would have been happier if we had beaten Sevilla, but Jose would have still got pelters for the football. I agree I cannot see a good candidate to replace Jose at the moment, so might as well keep him for now. I do not want Carlo, we will just stand still as a club.

Son Of Sam

If the players lack the desire, then isn't it the Manager's job to pump them up?

Also Fergie took us to 3 CL finals in 4 years and won us 13 titles. I cannot believe people would actually drag Fergie's name in here to defend Mourinho's shit on a stick football
If the players lack the desire, then maybe they shouldn’t be in Man Utd from the outset.

Jose also alluded to the fact that the players that left the club in the last 2 years don’t play often or are all playing for inferior teams.

In other words, we have invested poorly since Fergie.

Fully Fledged

Because he inherited Fergies league winning squad. Some of these comparisons are ridiculous!
Hold on, so has he improved us since Moyes' time or not? It can't be both we were better then that's why Moyes got us further and Jose's improved us as a squad/team. It has to be one or the other.

Jacko21

Personally, I thought that was good from Mourinho.

He didn't distance himself from the squad, the directors/owners or the club as a whole - that can only be a good thing.

If he's willing to fight, then he has my support.

Status
Not open for further replies.