Jose Mourinho's press conference - Brighton (FA Cup) - 14:00 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

Exactly. Anybody can be knocked out of a competition, but you want them to fight for the cause. As said we went out because he made mistakes, but he will not admit he made mistakes. Because of this his next bad result, again he will not take any blame it will be the players who well and truly cop it.
The whole Mou experience is souring for many. There was certain infatuation with the idea of him, the edgy, charismatic wit who would win and wind up his opponents at the same. The football, for much of his career, has generally been a grimace and hold your nose chore, you win but it will be ugly.

This is the reality of what he is, more money will give him better players and better results but the approach and the core of the experience is unlikely to change.

Pyro19

So many fickle people here. Majority were seething after the Sevilla game but now have gone back to the " Oh, but we must give him more time cause he inherited a shit team"

Let's conveniently forget he's spent close to 300 million since his arrival and I see little to no improvement in our attacking play.

He can shift the blame onto the club but it doesn't change the fact that we were dumped out of the CL by one of La Liga's whipping boys and were completely dominated in both legs.

2 years is a good enough time to judge improvement and I see no reason to believe that Mourinho will suddenly start playing attacking football if we let him spend just 200 million quid more.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If our team isn't good enough to beat Sevilla, then he should be done for wasting £300m.
We are good enough to beat Sevilla ffs!
I wish people would stop believing this crap that our players are complete duds.
Of course we should have beaten them, not targeting their stand in RB with Rashford on the left was atrocious management. Letting Pogba stroll around, he should be lighting a rocket under him. I know he doesn't want to lose them, but sometimes they need their backsides kicking.

United_We_Stand

It's confirmed then. Celtic and/or Guangzhou Evergrande are interested in Jose. I'm sure he's not delusional enough to think PSG are after him?

Will he ever stop patronizing the club?

Pyro19

This is an odd remark. Some of those players were bang average before Guardiola came in and most of them have improved significantly. If anything, it begs the question: what has Mourinho done to improve the existing players already at the club.

Another fairly desperate media performance. The sort which Moyes and Van Gaal were lambasted for.
The difference in the Kyle Walker that played for spurs and the one that plays for Guardiola is night and day. Same with Delph and Sterling. That is what a good coach does.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Any controversial statements from our fearless leader today?
Youtube have taken down the video of the press conference I posted but the media are going to have a field day with it and quite a few will claim he's lost it and you cant really argue :nervous:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Have you two only just started watching football? How often do managers own up to their mistakes following a loss?

The great man himself acknowledges the loss as "our" fault.
I wouldn't need to make that post if people on here weren't saying he's right.
Of course City have built a better squad.
But we didn't go out against City playing that way.
We went out to a vastly inferior team playing that way.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
4:00KEY EVENT
Mourinho reacts to being booed

I am not going to run away or disappear or to cry because I heard a few boos, I’m not going to disappear from the tunnel, running immediately, the next match I will be the first to go out. I am not afraid of my responsibilities.

When I was 20 i was nobody in football, I was somebody’s son, with a lot of pride, and now with 55 I am what I am I did what I did because of work and because of talent and my mentality. So they can be together, I understand that for many many many years was really really hard for the people who doesn’t like me, here he is again, here he wins again.

For 10 months I win nothing, the last title that I won was 10 months ago, I beat Liverpool, Chelsea, I lose against Sevilla and now is their moment to be happy. I learn that in my religious formation, be happy with others happiness, so be it, I am a really happy guy.

Jose Mourinho (with guest appearance from Manchester United fc) vs Brighton

DomesticTadpole

Agree, the Pogba change definitely hurt us. Fellaini wasn't great either tbh.
He should have gone with the Liverpool team. Fellaini was not a great problem, but he should have been on the bench to either come on if we were ahead or if we needed a battering ram. He has been out for weeks, why bring him back in this game?

Canagel

Will he ever admit he made mistakes with the tactics? This is why he'll never succeed here. We are not angry about exiting the CL, we are angry because Mourinho gave us a false impression of what the team can do by holding us back with his tactics and team selection. We didn't show our full capabilities and that's the biggest regret. I hope he's gone soon. Not the right fit for this club at all.

GlasgowRedz

I personally think we have a solid team/squad. Easily good enough to have been capable of going through to next round. We had an easy route right through to the last 16.
We have a good enough team to beat Sevilla at home, had we went through and faced Bayern I would have been of the opinion that we would be doing very well to get past them.

I don't think that Sevilla are as bad as they're being made out to be though, it was never going to be an easy tie. If we take the league as a barometer, to date there's very little between us and Liverpool and they have failed to beat them in their last 3 games against each other. That shows that they're more than capable of holding their own against teams at our level.

VanGaalEra

Not quite sure what his point was - except that he's not to blame for Sevilla beating us, obviously.
It's really not that hard to figure out, especially when you compare the two sets of players you just laid out yourself.

Fully Fledged

This is an odd remark. Some of those players were bang average before Guardiola came in and most of them have improved significantly. If anything, it begs the question: what has Mourinho done to improve the existing players already at the club.

Another fairly desperate media performance. The sort which Moyes and Van Gaal were lambasted for.
Yes.

Adisa

He mentions Otamendi.
One of the worst CBs in this league before Pep got there.
He mentions Sterling, average player before Pep got there.

JohnnyKills

This rant is disgraceful.

He's clearly researched this - why is he put time into compiling these facts, just to justify himself to the press? Even if one of his staff have done it it's a waste of their time.

We laughed at Benitez for this and winced when LVG did it.

Also the fact that we were a mess before he took over, and that City have spent more than us, doesn't change the fact he's serving up rubbish despite buying Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Bailly and the rest.

NotATroll

He was brought in to improve the record, not do the same as his predecessors. That's the whole fecking point of his appointment, so what's the purpose of giving us a history lesson?
Because you can't just turn it around because you want to. We were 6th in the league last season; should we suddenly have expected to win the league this season?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Haha, you mean the best striker in the league over the last 7-8 years, Silva who is rated by everyone and Sterling who was a rising star? Grant you that Otamendi has massively improved under Pep, but they definitely had a much better team for Pep to take over than Jose's United. Think that's reflected in the league table over the last few years.

Thisistheone

My worry is that he genuinely doesn't see anything wrong with how he approached both games, especially the second.
Thats my big worry as well.

The thought of being caught up in a groundhog day of that Sevilla performance ove the next couple of seasons, makes me want him gone.

How good a team does he need to be able to go toe to toe with the best sides around?

Because if he sees nothing wrong with how we approached the Sevilla games, then we can keep spending £100's of millions but he will always revert to type in any CL knock out tie.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Youtube have taken down the video of the press conference I posted but the media are going to have a field day with it and quite a few will claim he's lost it and you cant really argue :nervous:
Worrying.

You get the feeling he's going in the same direction that saw him sacked from Chelsea and other clubs. Hope I'm wrong.

DomesticTadpole

Jose Mourinho (with guest appearance from Manchester United fc) vs Brighton
When is a Manchester United press conference about the coming game? It always seems to be anything but. The press don't help with that. Ask him bloody questions about Brighton. The post-match press conference was about Sevilla. Now we have a pre-match press conference about the previous post-match conference.

Fully Fledged

I wouldn't need to make that post if people on here weren't saying he's right.
Of course City have built a better squad.
But we didn't go out against City playing that way.
We went out to a vastly inferior team playing that way.
Yeah they have Steven Nzonzi in midfield who boss'd our midfield. That says it all to me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, Pep's fundament was better, but the difference isn't that huge. City had to invest a fortune in keepers and full backs, Mourinho's inherited quality at rb and the world's greatest in goal. Valencia is getting older, but isn't declining yet. Young just had the league's best player in his pocket. I'm not going to pretend that Otamendi is all that, but obviously Silva, Aguero and KDB gave him a superior attacking base to build on. Still, we lost to Sevilla, not City, so those excuses are hollow.
Yeah, definitely. I said something similar in my first post in this thread.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Martial is having his best season with us, Rashford has improved, Lingard is playing at a level a lot thought he'd never reach, whilst Young has joined Valencia as a winger-converted to a highly competent full-back. Herrera last season was fantastic, Rojo actually looks like he's capable of defending, and Jones probably went the longest in his Utd career without getting injured whilst playing excellently for the most part.

I'd argue that the majority of our squad who were around before Jose arrived have improved.

JohnnyKills

When is a Manchester United press conference about the coming game? It always seems to be anything but. The press don't help with that. Ask him bloody questions about Brighton. The post-match press conference was about Sevilla. Now we have a pre-match press conference about the previous post-match conference.
Come on, we all want to hear what went wrong against Sevilla.

Adisa

There was also nothing special about Fernandinho before Pep arrived.

Flying_Heckfish

Worrying.

You get the feeling he's going in the same direction that saw him sacked from Chelsea and other clubs. Hope I'm wrong.
Not quite reached this level yet, but getting there:

"Omelettes, eggs. No eggs, no omelettes. And it depends on the quality of the eggs in the supermarket. They are class one, two or three and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. When the class one eggs are not available you have a problem."

DomesticTadpole

He mentions Otamendi.
One of the worst CBs in this league before Pep got there.
He mentions Sterling, average player before Pep got there.
Then the press should have mentioned that point. That Pep has gone in there and vastly improved the performances of his players, playing great football in the process.

Web of Bissaka

Erm....
Nothing wrong with that.

--------------Aguero----------------
---???---Silva---KDB---Sterling---
------------Fernandinho------------
----???--Otamendi---???--???----
---------------?????-----------------

*Some of those players performed worse seasons before than this season though.

Contrast with us, only De Gea :angel: worthy enough to be mention related to this.

Continuity and stability to the team provides by top class players.

Data

So many fickle people here. Majority were seething after the Sevilla game but now have gone back to the " Oh, but we must give him more time cause he inherited a shit team"

Let's conveniently forget he's spent close to 300 million since his arrival and I see little to no improvement in our attacking play.

He can shift the blame onto the club but it doesn't change the fact that we were dumped out of the CL by one of La Liga's whipping boys and were completely dominated in both legs.

2 years is a good enough time to judge improvement and I see no reason to believe that Mourinho will suddenly start playing attacking football if we let him spend just 200 million quid more.
Good point.
I hope the board are looking at it that way.

Fully Fledged

This was in response to a question about the fans not being happy and he went off on one. Basically how we have to aspire to be Man City.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"I have never been accused of giving my players PEDs"

Save that one for next season :D

Pyro19

Martial is having his best season with us, Rashford has improved, Lingard is playing at a level a lot thought he'd never reach, whilst Young has joined Valencia as a winger-converted to a highly competent full-back. Herrera last season was fantastic, Rojo actually looks like he's capable of defending, and Jones probably went the longest in his Utd career without getting injured whilst playing excellently for the most part.

I'd argue that the majority of our squad who were around before Jose arrived have improved.
Martial had a better season under LVG
Rashford has actually regressed.
So where's Herrera if he was so fantastic last season.
Valencia was already a fullback before Jose arrived.
and the fact that we use the term "Highly Competent" with Ashley Young at fullback describes how bad our team's state actually is.

klsv

Some good points made in the presser by Jose. And I'd understand the meltdown of some on here if it was the first season after SAF, it would be a shock. I'd understand it if we we're worse than last year, would be hard to swallow and I'd be asking for the sack as well. But we are playing better than last season, yet some still hold this blind anger towards Mourinho. It's pathetic. One thing more pathetic than the hysterics here though, it's booing the team at Old Trafford. AC Milan has won the CL 7 times, Serie A 18 times, but are in a much worse condition than we are now, and you had Milan fans singing yesterday when they were 5-1 down on aggregate, away from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.