Jose Mourinho's press conference - Brighton (FA Cup) - 14:00 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Jose is in the top 2/3 managers in world football...We are not one of the top 2/3 teams...If he'd not come we'd be saying he's the only man in world football who can help us overcome Pep....we are lucky he's here. Just might not seem like it this week.
Jose is not in top 2/3 managers in world football. Top class managers don't setup their team like cowards when facing Sevilla.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
When is a Manchester United press conference about the coming game? It always seems to be anything but. The press don't help with that. Ask him bloody questions about Brighton. The post-match press conference was about Sevilla. Now we have a pre-match press conference about the previous post-match conference.
His response is always I, me etc. He's given a brazen defence, of himself.

I don't think anyone really wants to hear it. We had more than enough of it with LVG. Jose and his everything is about me act doesn't really work when at the same time he's trying to insinuate the team doing badly is someone else's fault.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Very interesting 12 minute rant. I don't dispute that there's a process, or that it takes time, or that Pep inherited a process further along than he did. I'm not looking to get rid of him either. Its even blatantly obvious that we're we were never going to win the ECL this season. No args with any of that. BUT... (you could hear a "but" coming right?!?)... Manchester United is schooled on attacking football, and there's absolutely no reason why we should've played so negatively against Sevilla, and he doesn't mention either of these points - in 12 minutes ?!?

IppoKun

Supports
Benfica
Redcafe didn't disappoint me, I came here to see the reaction of the press, and most people here whine about literally everything: blaming Mourinho for the ego, that he didn't cry in the press saying it was his fault only and a bunch more negativity stuff. What did you guys wanted more? He freaking said that he's the first to give face and he doesn't hide, he's with the team and the owners, won't run away from the construction phase, etc. You guys wanted an apology letter for the fans? Some fans here still think very high of Manchester United football team, like it was still the SAF days when they won PL.

Sucks to get out of CL, the game didn't go as planned because of tactics, players, manager, etc. Happens when one team isn't really accustomed to be in CL at all. Either the fans stick together and see that things are improving (in results), or just go back to the sacking routine, sack Mourinho to get another manager, give him 2 years and have the same results, repeat the cycle forever until something sticks.

Whenever you guys want it or not, the reality is Manchester United is in a construction phase and that's what Mourinho was trying to convey, bad games will happen even against "smaller" teams. Things don't happen in two years just because fans want it, it takes time. Whenever United looses a game Redcafe goes nuclear like it's the end of the world and that United is a team that can smash every other team besides Barcelona/Real Madrid. That is not reality.

Also, Sevilla isn't shit by no means like some have said here and in other topics, they won Europe League 3 times in a row before United for a reason.

Reactions: KM

haram

The fact that he has just said things I have made similar points on well before the Sevilla game make me even more assured of the future.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think I would actually find Mourinho quite disrespectful if I was a Man Utd fan.

You get the sense that some fans on here think Man Utd are almost lucky to have Mourinho as their manager. What? This is the biggest club in the country and one of the biggest worldwide.

And he's sitting there talking in this way, reading off a paper in a conference that would undoubtedly cause derision were it to come from Klopp/ Guardiola/ Benitez etc?

I don't really subscribe to this notion that he inherited a shite squad when he took over and Guardiola for example took over a squad almost ready to go.

He had De Gea, Jones, Rojo, Mata, Ibrahmovic, Rooney, Martial, Smalling, Carrick, Young, Shaw, Valencia, Fellaini in the squad. A lot of league winners, a lot of experience, some of the world's best young players in there as well apparently. I know Moyes and LVG have lowered expectations for some but there is no way that most Man Utd fans would have said that was a shit spine of a squad back in 2013.

The league campaign has been ok I guess. 2nd is good but to be so far back from City is not ideal. I don't think style of play has exactly been ideal though.

RedorDead21

I found it incredible that a Spurs fan get it just how big United are but United fans are somewhat impervious to that fact.
How big we are...what's that got to do with it...Jose could be signed up to PSG or someone before we came along...the options with his pedigree don't grow on trees..that's all people are suggesting....

Kag

It was part of a larger point about how the squad he inherited has regularly finished outside of the top 4 over the last few seasons, whereas City's has consistently finished in the Champions League places over the same period. He also went on to juxtapose the performances of those players with the players that he's sold and he's got a point. Sure there's no excuses for the Sevilla performance but this notion that Mourinho hasn't improved us is ridiculous.
The quality of football on display this calendar year is no better than large parts of Van Gaal's time here. The Sevilla game, given the difference in quality between both sides, was actually worse.

We've got a better team and lose less games but the improvement people have been pretending to see is folly which, again, is something I've been banging on about for over a year.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Style of football isn't the issue not being a Mourinho team is the issue.....
Then isn't it down to him if he has taken too long to realise that some players cannot play to his system efficiently and needed replacing quickly? I agree that he has been left with some avrage footballers, but it is his job to put that right. Problem he has is he has spent a lot of money himself and it still is not right.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Let's break down our CL and PL performances since the final in 2011 (when we've been in both).

Let's say failure is either being knocked out by average teams (by CL standards) and not challenging for the league.

2011/2012
CL: failed
PL: challenged for the title

2012/2013
CL: R16 to Real Madrid
PL: Champions

2013/2014
CL: QF to Bayern Munich
PL: failed

2015/2016

2017/2018

Different ways you can interprete it (look into domestic cup/EL etc.) but the only time you can say we've failed both in terms of the CL and PL is this season and under LVG in his final year. It's probably worse under LVG as we failed to make top 4, though won the FA Cup (which we could still do this season).
That's a very convenient way to look at things, especially 2013-14 season. In R16 we had a far worse team than Sevilla and still almost fecked up. Lost 2-0 away and needed RvP individual brilliance to go through in 2nd leg. Nobody is saying our performance on Tuesday was great and we were unlucky to go out. That doesn't mean you can use 2013-14 CL performance as a stick to beat Mourinho with.

RedorDead21

Jose is not in top 2/3 managers in world football. Top class managers don't setup their team like cowards when facing Sevilla.
Ha laughable comment. He's won everywhere he's been. His quality isnt in doubt. Won the CL (for times entered) with a far better ratio than SAF.

TheTunnel68

Whatever you read into Jose's 'rant' , it has become the hottest topic across all media outlets, mission accomplished as far as the board are concerned.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Like me he's resigned to not being able to compete with City as they have too much financial power now. Unfortunately unlike me he's one of the few people able to do anything about it.

None if it justifies losing to Sevilla at home though, he's just saying "well we wouldn't have won the CL anyway, these players aren't good enough". Again he's not wrong, but we need him to show more fight.

izec

Ha laughable comment. He's won everywhere he's been. His quality isnt in doubt. Won the CL (for times entered) with a far better ratio than SAF.
Jose was, just like Wenger was. United Jose isnt. Nothing about him in his stint says to me he is world class or top 2/3 managers in the world.

KM

I don't really give a shit what he's won with the previous clubs. I only care about how he's doing an United manager.

RedorDead21

Then isn't it down to him if he has taken too long to realise that some players cannot play to his system efficiently and needed replacing quickly? I agree that he has been left with some terrible footballers, but it is his job to put that right. Problem he has is he has spent a lot of money himself and it still is not right.
Spending x is relative. We get ripped off...thats well known so the amounts shouldn't be used to bash him. Players he bought not performing is a different matter but they need at least one season in the team before I start making judgements...

Treble

Simply that your addition has improved, as has the team.
The difference with City has become much bigger than it was prior to 2016 though. It was Jose himself who mentioned City.

9pts over 76 games vs 25 pts over 68 games. It's the heritage.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Top class managers don't go many years without trophy as well.

Fully Fledged

And how does it matter? City went out to Wigan. Too bad our awful performance came in CL R16 must win game. That absolutely doesn't discredit Mourinho's work and the stupid exaggeration which is going on from fans as if we lost a final to Wigan is crazy. If results don't improve greatly next year, Mourinho's job will be under scrutiny. For now there is no need for exaggeration. And no, Woodward is not sacking Mourinho bar a calamity in rest of the campaign so better to get behind manager and team than hope that he gets sacked.
And if you read my posts you would know that I have said that it is not the going out but the manner in which we went of that is the problem.

BigCaine

Yep, wasn't putting in world class performances despite being the DM for a title winning team. Sterling wasn't really doing anything to be bought for £50m, except almost winning the league with Liverpool being a fantastic partner to Suarez. Otamendi viewed the same as Mangala is a nonsensical statement, it's almost as if you've just seen that they play in the same position and cost around the same so you thought they are the same player.

Maybe if you actually looked at their performances, instead of jumping on a bandwagon you might actually realize these were quality players.
Its you my friend who needs to go watch those performances again, Being part of the winning team doesn't mean you really have been great, Sterling that was playing for Liverpool and the one at city until this season were 2 separate players much like the Sanchez we saw at Arsenal and the one who plays for us, just not that bad. Otamendi was nothing but a bumbling oaf for most part of his city career with may be small amount of ok performances in between, people were genuinely happy we didn't buy him given his poor performances.

RedorDead21

I don't really give a shit what he's won with the previous clubs. I only care about how he's doing an United manager.
And he's won trophies here already. You sound like you need a good cry baby......

Canagel

I've just watched the full presser and he was really fighting in there. Football 'Heritage' was the theme and although he has a point that we've under achieved massively in the last 7 years it still isn't justification for why we lost on Tuesday night. Why does he have to bring Man City into it? What's that got to do with fans being angry about how we lost against Sevilla? Sometimes he talks too much yknow. 12 minutes rant and he doesn't address the issue at hand.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I found it incredible that a Spurs fan get it just how big United are but United fans are somewhat impervious to that fact.
I don't know what to make of that really. Commercially, we're the biggest. Biggest turnover. Biggest following, probably. Best team, no. Best record, no. What point are you trying to make, that we could have hired better manager than Jose at the time? Do you think Pep was an option at any stage? I don't. Who else?

We got in a manager with a reputation that managed to halt our steep decline. I'm not sure who else would have done that. And I wouldn't have wanted someone who'd just be happy to be here and not fight for improving the first team and the squad.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think he is taking a lot of the heat off the players, but again should the players come out from behind the manager and stand up and be counted.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Jose is in the top 2/3 managers in world football...We are not one of the top 2/3 teams...If he'd not come we'd be saying he's the only man in world football who can help us overcome Pep....we are lucky he's here. Just might not seem like it this week.
Yes you are. You really are. You may not have been one of the top 3 performing clubs in the past few years but it was literally just a few seasons back that Ferguson was still sweeping all before him. In terms of size of club, you are in the top 2/3, maximum top 4 like I said.

It has nothing to do with this week. A club of Man Utd's size should not feel that they are lucky to have any manager, unless it is someone like Ferguson, who is literally unique. I don't get how some Man Utd fans can downplay their club so much to defend Mourinho, especially when I think you can defend him if you want to without also claiming that you are lucky to have him.

Besides, even putting aside that fact. Ok let's say that Man Utd were shit and tiny and are so lucky to have Mourinho. Where exactly would have Mourinho have gone? He's been to Real already. He's never going to be hired at Barcelona. Bayern had a manager when you were looking. Juve had a manager and he's already been at Inter. He's been at Chelsea (twice). Liverpool and Arsenal had managers already. City had been gearing up for Pep for a while. I don't think we have the resources for Jose.

So where would he have gone? PSG I guess? Maybe AC Milan? Otherwise literally where else would he have gone?

I can't believe Man Utd fans are honestly saying that you're lucky to have Mourinho. You can think he's doing a good job, fair enough. But lucky to have him? Really?

Fully Fledged

How is preparing notes for a press conference in anticipation of specific questions comparable to pulling out an A4 sheet of paper from your inside pocket and laying out your argument that there's a far reaching institutional conspiracy against Liverpool FC like it's a fecking GCSE English Literature presentation? :lol:
Both of them slagged off Man Utd to feed the ego of the man making the rant.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pep and city have been lucky this season, not many injuries and some jammy last minute goals whereas we've had completely the opposite.
Your on another planet if you think I just luck.
And the stuff about injuries isn't true.
Aguero, Sane, Kompany, Sterling, Jesus, Mendy, Gundogan and Stone shave all been out at different points. Also Silva has had personal issues.

tony54

I get what he's saying, and I agree that Man City started from a stronger position due to actually having a vision for the way they want the club to play. They've been building that squad for years and Guardiola has benefitted.

I still think that given more time and more players, Mourinho can be a success here and can win a PL title and can have us challenging for the Champions League.

That being said, that doesn't mean that at this moment in time he doesn't have a team capable of taking the game to Sevilla at Old Trafford. This is what the fans are annoyed about and not that we aren't in the Quarter Finals or challenging for the trophy. By trying to make out that's what the issue is he's just muddying the waters in the hope that it all goes away somehow.
Exactly, That's like thinking, well, we have a weaker team than them [any team] so we wont bother pushing ourselves.
This mentality in any game, especially a big game is unbelievable.

KM

Think he is taking a lot of the heat off the players, but again should the players come out from behind the manager and stand up and be counted.
By suggesting that Guardiola inherited a better core of players than Smalling, DDG, Valencia, Mata etc. His statement is undoubtedly true btw but he's not taking the heat off the players.

PepsiCola

Yes you are. You really are. You may not have been one of the top 3 performing clubs in the past few years but it was literally just a few seasons back that Ferguson was still sweeping all before him. In terms of size of club, you are in the top 2/3, maximum top 4 like I said.

It has nothing to do with this week. A club of Man Utd's size should not feel that they are lucky to have any manager, unless it is someone like Ferguson, who is literally unique. I don't get how some Man Utd fans can downplay their club so much to defend Mourinho, especially when I think you can defend him if you want to without also claiming that you are lucky to have him.

Besides, even putting aside that fact. Ok let's say that Man Utd were shit and tiny and are so lucky to have Mourinho. Where exactly would have Mourinho have gone? He's been to Real already. He's never going to be hired at Barcelona. Bayern had a manager when you were looking. Juve had a manager and he's already been at Inter. He's been at Chelsea (twice). Liverpool and Arsenal had managers already. City had been gearing up for Pep for a while. I don't think we have the resources for Jose.

So where would he have gone? PSG I guess? Maybe AC Milan? Otherwise literally where else would he have gone?

I can't believe Man Utd fans are honestly saying that you're lucky to have Mourinho. You can think he's doing a good job, fair enough. But lucky to have him? Really?
Thank you.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So, leaving that moral outrage to the side, when we decided to get rid of van Gaal, what other manager could we have hired at the time to improve us and halt the decline? Speaking as a very ill-informed United supporter who doesn't understand how big my club is.

KM

And he's won trophies here already. You sound like you need a good cry baby......
You're the type of poster who'd probably get Wenger ahead of Pochettino as our next manager just because he's won trophies. Such is the level of stupidity of your argument.

As per as the last part, try to keep it civil.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't know what to make of that really. Commercially, we're the biggest. Biggest turnover. Biggest following, probably. Best team, no. Best record, no. What point are you trying to make, that we could have hired better manager than Jose at the time? Do you think Pep was an option at any stage? I don't. Who else?

We got in a manager with a reputation that managed to halt our steep decline. I'm not sure who else would have done that. And I wouldn't have wanted someone who'd just be happy to be here and not fight for improving the first team and the squad.
No, I'm not even trying to say you could have gotten a better manager. There are few better than Mourinho (though others may have been more suited than him to Man Utd).

Regardless, saying that Man Utd are lucky to have him? I don't get that. You're one of the biggest clubs in the world, with the financial power to boot. You still had a very good squad, despite what some people think.

West Brom would be lucky to have Mourinho as manager, not Man Utd. I just find that thinking baffling.

KM

You make it sound like Jose joined us after winning the CL. He joined us after being sacked by Chelsea.

RedorDead21

And Arsene Wenger has been winning trophies at arsenal the last few years.
He's had 20 years to shape the club jesus if this current team is what you build after 20 years......comparing Wenger to Jose....you want pretty football and doing nothing...you should be liking Wenger alrightey.

Fully Fledged

No, I'm not even trying to say you could have gotten a better manager. There are few better than Mourinho (though others may have been more suited than him to Man Utd).

Regardless, saying that Man Utd are lucky to have him? I don't get that. You're one of the biggest clubs in the world, with the financial power to boot. You still had a very good squad, despite what some people think.

West Brom would be lucky to have Mourinho as manager, not Man Utd. I just find that thinking baffling.
Me too.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

OK, so it's about using the word "lucky". I said United were lucky Jose was available, and Jose was lucky to get the United job. I wasn't saying anything more than that. If Jose had not been available at the time, I think we'd have done worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.