Jose wants to return

Loon

:lol:
I would love him to spill the beans on the BTS stuff when he was here. I suspect he's NDA'd up the ying-yang.

His return, however, would be about as welcome as that of spring onions.

Chairman Steve

Jose did an interview with Rio that came out today, and in the nicest way possible he says Woodward was shite at the football side of things.

lex talionis

No way, Jose.

He had his chance and no I don't want to hear about the Glazers not allowing him to bring in Maguire or how second place was his greatest achievement. He was a train wreck of a manager who left the club in worse condition than he found it. What he wants is more and more money and he knows United are a cash generating machine, so from his point of view why not hoover another 10-20m in wages? I can appreciate that he wishes that he had things differently, but he did what he did and what's done is done.

90 + 5min

I like Jose Mourinho. He was thrown under the bus by players and he went slightly crazy. Would I have him back? Why not. However, we got a manager that should be given time so it shouldn't be a question about replacing him.

erikcred

Whenever he's giving interviews in between his jobs, such as this one and the one with Obi, it's great to listen to him speak. His appearances as a pundit were also excellent after leaving us.

I can see how it's possible to get charmed and forget that he's basically been left behind by the current crop of managers.

Plus, as soon as he gets back in the dugout, he just transforms completely anyway. So the person you hired will never be the person who turns up for the job.

ShinjiNinja26

I’ve always had a soft spot for Jose and probably always will. Even though things got very toxic at the end of his Utd stint and I was as desperate as most to see the back of him I still can’t help but like the guy, especially now the dust has settled after his time here. I always find him very chilled, funny and charismatic when he does interviews outside of being a football manager, more his old self. The stress of the job these days must have a real negative impact on him that makes him very angry and bitter at times.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I’ve always had a soft spot for Jose and probably always will. Even though things got very toxic at the end of his Utd stint and I was as desperate as most to see the back of him I still can’t help but like the guy, especially now the dust has settled after his time here. I always find him very chilled, funny and charismatic when he does interviews outside of being a football manager, more his old self. The stress of the job these days must have a real negative impact on him that makes him very angry and bitter at times.
I agree. He's a really great guy in my opinion but he is extremely competitive and sometimes let's it spill over. When he first arrived on the scene, more relaxed, he had the media and English fans fawning over him. He needs to find that inner calm again and I think he could get back to the top.

What makes me laugh is this idea that modern football has left him behind, coming from football fans. As if we're so clued up but an extremely successful manager, and once highly regarded tactician, doesn't see what we can. It's just such a ridiculous take. The problem is he's managing underdogs that want success, so he tries to play a certain way. When he was given the keys to Real Madrid they were breaking goalscoring records and pushing a once in a generation Barcelona.

DeGea

No matter how hot your ex is, they are still your ex. Don’t go back. It will only end up in tears.

RedDevil@84

This thread need to be closed. He has already dismissed the rumour and he has no unfinished business.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Whenever he's giving interviews in between his jobs, such as this one and the one with Obi, it's great to listen to him speak. His appearances as a pundit were also excellent after leaving us.

I can see how it's possible to get charmed and forget that he's basically been left behind by the current crop of managers.

Plus, as soon as he gets back in the dugout, he just transforms completely anyway. So the person you hired will never be the person who turns up for the job.
Was mad seeing him as a pundit in that 4-0 game against Chelsea under Ole and Souness, Keane, Neville, etc all like schoolboys whenever he talked. Just oozes authority on football compared to those guys, who have great experience themselves.

Red00012

He was asked in the interview about his 3rd season and said was he happy with the signings of Lee Grant, Fred etc . He said he was more interested in getting some players out and for one reason or another it didn’t happen. Also said Woodward was a nice guy but hadn’t a clue sporting wise.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He was asked in the interview about his 3rd season and said was he happy with the signings of Lee Grant, Fred etc . He said he was more interested in getting some players out and for one reason or another it didn’t happen. Also said Woodward was a nice guy but hadn’t a clue sporting wise.
Yeah, seems at the time he was desperate to get rid of Martial, Pogba and Shaw as he felt they were bad for the culture of the club.

Think the 27/28 year old Persisic would have been magnificent for him but that was refused.

CM

This is the 2nd of a 3 part interview Rio did with Jose but this is the part where he talks about his time at Utd.

I could only get about 5 minutes in without getting wound up by him. Naming each player from the Europa League final team and then naming the ex-United players he didn't have is about as Jose Mourinho as you can get. He's all smoke and mirrors.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
He destroyed Howson at the end! Even Rio burst out laughing. :lol::lol:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
There's your answer.
How so? People used to accept he was great, tactically. Then he takes jobs at failing clubs, doesn't hit the same heights, and suddenly he's a dinosaur. But not in the eyes of his peers, but random blokes on the Internet who apparently know which managers are "current", implying that us no-marks are at the forefront of tactics.

Eddy_JukeZ

How so? People used to accept he was great, tactically. Then he takes jobs at failing clubs, doesn't hit the same heights, and suddenly he's a dinosaur. But not in the eyes of his peers, but random blokes on the Internet who apparently know which managers are "current", implying that us no-marks are at the forefront of tactics.
This isn't true though.

Because his failings started with Real in his 3rd season there. The first full season of his where he went trophy-less. It's also the first time in his career that he completely fell out with the dressing room(there were reputable sources that stated this)

He won the Premier League again with his 2nd stint at Chelsea, then the following season, he was overseeing the worst title defense in history at the time.

There was even a quote from Hazard that compared Conte and Mourinho's style and said Mourinho had less attention to detail on specific player positioning than Conte did.

I don't think it's ludicrous at all to claim that he's become outdated, and he has failed to adapt.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Atleast he knew how to set up a team defensivly..
Im looking at you ETH :rolleyes:
The funniest thing is ETH's style of play is awful to watch. It's not like he's playing expansive attacking Football of the highest quality which is leaving the team vulnerable at the back.

On the other hand, some coaches come in and successfully implement their style of play from day 1 with whatever tools they get(far lesser than ETH).

TomSkalle

The funniest thing is ETH's style of play is awful to watch. It's not like he's playing expansive attacking Football of the highest quality which is leaving the team vulnerable at the back.

On the other hand, some coaches come in and successfully implement their style of play from day 1 with whatever tools they get(far lesser than ETH).
I mean, really enjoyed having Mourinho as a manager until things started to stagnate, then Mourinho had a tendancy to start striking out at the "environment" wich wasnt always pretty.
I do miss his swagger though.:D

Yes ETH fotball is awfull most of the time, but it seems people dont care as long as he is winning now and then.
How the mighty has fallen.

Grande

This isn't true though.

Because his failings started with Real in his 3rd season there. The first full season of his where he went trophy-less. It's also the first time in his career that he completely fell out with the dressing room(there were reputable sources that stated this)

He won the Premier League again with his 2nd stint at Chelsea, then the following season, he was overseeing the worst title defense in history at the time.

There was even a quote from Hazard that compared Conte and Mourinho's style and said Mourinho had less attention to detail on specific player positioning than Conte did.

I don't think it's ludicrous at all to claim that he's become outdated, and he has failed to adapt.
Outdated, yes that’s ludicrous. Failing to adapt maybe also is making too much of a mockery for what it takes to win a EL, come second in the PL with Utd, and winning a minor European cup, reaching the final of EL and even getting consecutive no 6 finishes with Roma. That is a very high level to be coaching at. It is not normal for coaches to consistently operate at the very highest peaks for decades, and that is because coaching world class ability isn’t a constant ability. Mourinho’s best achievements are stand out, and he in fact has an unusual large amount of them too. That doesn’t mean he is not coaching at a very high level now, in fact I’m curious if you’ll find 20 coaches in the world of football with better returns these years he has spent at AS Roma.

If you look at options as future Utd coaches, if you take away the romanticchope that any new name will automatically improve further at a bigger club, I’m not sure there is a score of them who has more to show than José even post Utd.

Why I don’t want Mourinho anywhere near this club ever again, is because his football is consistently depressing and his personality is best taken in tea spoons.

stevoc

I would love him to spill the beans on the BTS stuff when he was here. I suspect he's NDA'd up the ying-yang.

His return, however, would be about as welcome as that of spring onions.
??

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I like Jose Mourinho. He was thrown under the bus by players and he went slightly crazy. Would I have him back? Why not. However, we got a manager that should be given time so it shouldn't be a question about replacing him.
He threw the players under the bus far more than the other way around. If the manager is a toxic piece of shit who goes out of his way to reflect blame from himself by publicly putting it onto the players on a regular basis, he has no right to complain when the players turn on him. It's not a coincidence that it's happened multiple times to him.

Judas

Open to offers
He threw the players under the bus far more than the other way around. If the manager is a toxic piece of shit who goes out of his way to reflect blame from himself by publicly putting it onto the players on a regular basis, he has no right to complain when the players turn on him. It's not a coincidence that it's happened multiple times to him.
Yeah, its bonkers but oddly predictable to see people claim the players threw him under the boss.

I still like him in a way, but hated his time here, can't imagine why anyone would want to go through that again.

Chumpsbechumps

I never wanted Jose as manager, but when he was made manager I thought United totally wasted what he could of done.

Jose does indeed explode and pretty much tear down everything and everybody with him. But he was a seriel winner before he joined United. His standards simply werent met by Woodward and the level of ambition he had was above the Glazers. They were happy getting 2nd and pulled the plug, effectively sabotaging our entire season. Jose and some of the players went "f**k it" (probably thought it very unlikely we would make up double diguts on city with Dalot and Fred) and we ended up with another rollercoaster of a season.

The drama hasnt stopped at United since Jose left. This really is a case where United fans need to look at their club and the consistent f**k ups going on. You really cant blame every manager for the state of things.

If United was run well, I think Jose would of challanged for the league/CL. He had the pedigree, United have no pedigree under the glazers post Ferguson, thats a fact and the one smell thats hung around at our club after "failed" managers have long left.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Jose does indeed explode and pretty much tear down everything and everybody with him. But he was a seriel winner before he joined United. His standards simply werent met by Woodward and the level of ambition he had was above the Glazers. They were happy getting 2nd and pulled the plug, effectively sabotaging our entire season. Jose and some of the players went "f**k it" (probably thought it very unlikely we would make up double diguts on city with Dalot and Fred) and we ended up with another rollercoaster of a season.

If United was run well, I think Jose would of challanged for the league/CL. He had the pedigree, United have no pedigree under the glazers post Ferguson, thats a fact.
If we'd been run well we might have challenged more than we did in his first two seasons. But come the third it would have fallen apart, just like he's always done.

As for not backing him, we know many of the players that he asked for that season and was upset about not getting. Perisic was literally the only one that might have been a success for a few years, and even that would have been significantly overpaying when Inter wanted £50m (bear in mind they loaned him to Bayern just 12 months later). The main one was Maguire, a player that Ole and Woodward get criticised for spending so much on 12 months later. In hindsight we probably should have just signed him then as we could have got him slightly cheaper, but that wouldn't have made his signing a success anymore than it ended up being. Alderweireld was another, a 28yo who had just missed most of the season through injury and who Spurs wanted £55m for (and his form continued dropping off after that). Eric Dier, WIllian, etc. All players that we'd be looking back at now thinking 'what a waste of money'. A strong argument can be had that the club did the right thing by refusing to overpay for these players.

90 + 5min

He didn't do that in a big scale. He should have thrown them more considering that same players threw Solskjaer and Rangnick under the bus to.

You can't have players controlling the club. You need to have hierarcy in a club. And managers should always be above players.