Jose's interview - "Wish to sign 2 more players"

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Because it is about how you interpret it - and you've opted for the sensationalist interpretation, one which is not 100% obviously "there in the video".
See maybe I interpreted it wrong, saying I put some sensational headline is just pathetic. This is not a newspaper where we get revenue from clicks. I watched the video and added what was asked (She asked about fullback). Obviously with few others saying it's about RB, I have updated the tile. So pipe down.

kps88

Jose clearly doesn't rate or trust Shaw, I'm not sure why he's still here.

dove

Maybe, it's how you interpret it. Not sure how it's a sensationalist headline when I have put what was there in the video.

He talked about Valencia and then Interviewer asked about fullback, maybe she meant RB but not sure how does that make headline sensational as the briefing was done 2 days back saying we are not interested in LB as Jose see Dalot as backup for both positions.

Bold part is funny as I have put some highlights in the OP watching the video.
Well yes, most of the stuff Jose says is open to interpretation but why do we always pick the most negative option of all?

cyberman

Can't wait until every journo wakes up with Maguire plus 1 stories after having nothing to bluff at for weeks

settembrini

If we don't sign a new LB then it's just another example of Mourinho failing to address clearly weak areas of the team and he'll get criticised accordingly when it costs us for yet another season.

Atm I am not expecting one. These comments are open to interpretation but him saying he wanted Young to play 50 games next season is not. In addition the only links to a left back come from Castles and Du Brun saying we will buy Sandro, neither of these have good track records when it comes to our transfers.

roonster09

Scout
Well yes, most of the stuff Jose says is open to interpretation but why do we always pick the most negative option of all?
Well you can check with people who always pick negative option.

Even in title, "Jose - I would get 2 more players" is positive title considering how little we are linked with players. Also I edited title too adding he meant RB.

haram

We probably cant buy a LB because Shaw is still here.

roonster09

Scout
Updated the title as earlier one was misleading. Probably he meant he won't sign one more RB.

tippex

considering the clamour last season to get smalling and jones out the door I'm amazed this has not cropped up again if we are bringing in the CB as believed

dove

We probably cant buy a LB because Shaw is still here.
Yeah, likely. All the reports of us signing Sandro stopped after Shaw rejected a move to Everton (if reports are correct).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Just because Shaw is here doesn't mean we shouldn't look for a LB. If he doesn't fancy him and Shaw doesn't wanna leave, just throw his ass with the reserve team like PSG did with Ben Arfa for an entire season.

-Supreme-

considering the clamour last season to get smalling and jones out the door I'm amazed this has not cropped up again if we are bringing in the CB as believed
Both Smalling and Jones contracts expire next summer, so I'd be very surprised if either of them remains this season if we sign a new CB

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm a minority, but I think that Valencia covered by Dalot is an okay situation for the next season — especially with no top right backs available
Young and Shaw on the left on the other hand :(

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thanks, that's good as I know he can fill in at LB but I am hoping he'll be blooded in as Valencia's repalcement, not shunted about.
He also specifically said that it's due to Dalots injury that they're not risking Valencia more in USA. Its clear to me that both of them are gonna be rotated this seaosn with eventually Dalot taking over.

Raw

I'm a minority, but I think that Valencia covered by Dalot is an okay situation for the next season — especially with no top right backs available
I think so too, I'm quite excited to see Dalot and if he can own that RB spot. Lost complete faith in us signing a LB though, Mourinho clearly loves Young there. I hope we start looking at potential LBs throughout the season in case Shaw has another nothing season.

MrBest

I want a creative midfielder like modric. Don't know who is about but we miss someone who can elegantly keep possession and move with the ball. I would be on board with a centre back, but someone with experience. A experienced right winger is a must. I'm not so bothered about full backs as young and Valencia are decent for the year ahead. This is really the season for Shaw to shine, been given so many chances and I'm sure this will be his last. He's looks trimmer and been decent in pre season. I even saw him have a shot!

Castia

Should have been in for Malcom.

Huge prospect, can play on the right and at 40m is a bargain in this market.

Kaivalya

God, with Ibrahimovic hyping something exciting, I hope it's not Willian and Maguire. That would be so depressing and underwhelming. Great utility players but really, really not inspiring additions.
Part of me hopes there's something in the Bonucci rumor. If we are looking for big slow CBs let's get the absolute best of them.
My choice for RW would be someone who is more of a playmaker than Willian. If Fekir to Liverpool truly is dead, United should try and get him. He's almost like Hazard but left footed and on the right. Maybe even someone like Neres but he isn't nearly ready to step up.
All just pipe dreams tho really.

Aloysius's Back 3

Jose obviously has deals in place for 1 or 2 players if he can offload Martial and Rojo.

Names such as Perisic, Willian, Rebic, Milinkovic-Savic, Kovacic, Vidal, Maguire, Boateng spring to mind and any one or two from that list would be Jose type signings.
That's some horrible players bar one or two.

iamkiranks

So, the no fullbacks incoming. Most likely the 2 will be a CB and a RW. Maguire and Rebic are my guess. Think we would've signed an LB if Shaw were to leave.

Also, How is that most of you are certain the RW will be Willian. Chelsea reportedly turned down 70 euros from Barcelona and they also want Martial if we want Willain. Personally, can't see Willain to United happening.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd rather have Dalot covered by Valencia

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not signing a left back is utterly negligent. With Valencia and Dalot injured, looks like we’ll be stuck with Darmian for another season.

Fantastic news.
Dalot could also be an option for leftback. I believe that most (all?) of his first team games were on the left, although long-term he's obviously considered a rightback.

He's terrible. Absolutely terrible. I watched a re run of the FA Cup final defeat to Chelsea. The whole 90 minutes. The first thing that strikes you is the lack of attacking contribution from Valencia and Young. Young especially because we attack down the left mostly. It is genuinely appalling. Every attack breaks down with those two. This is highlighted even further because we don't have any natural wingers in the squad. Plus they often get caught out high up the pitch and we occasionally concede goals like Alli's one in the FA Cup Semi final because they don't have the legs to recover.
Young was poor in the second half of the season. I'm not going to disagree there. However, it has to be remembered that he was very good for the first half of the season, and in the majority of the periods that he played there the previous two seasons. Over the last three seasons when he's had the opportunity he's comfortably been better than Valencia on the other side. Before he got that suspension many on here felt he'd been the best leftback in the league and one of our better players. Yes he never really got going again when he came back from the suspension in the middle of the season, but it's important not to forget his good stuff.

Obviously the question is how he can be expected to perform going forward. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried; he was fairly poor for the second half of last season and he's only getting older. I was hoping that we'd sign a new guy for that position as I do consider it a big risk that his performances may only go downhill from here. But I'm also hopeful that the poor form was the exception and he'll be back to his more 'normal' form that he's shown over the last few seasons.

El Jefe

We're definitely not signing Willian. If they turned down £55m from Barcelona, I wonder what they'll charge us. He'll be 30 at the start of the season it would be terrible business to spend £60m+ on him.

It's most likely Maguire and a RW. I'm still holding hope for Ousmane Dembele because I fail to see why Barca would want Willian or Malcom when they have him.

Aloysius's Back 3

Why are people so sure that the RW is Willian? The links with Maguire started a week or so ago, before that he wasn't even close to being linked with us.
Jose historically is dependent on one winger that cuts in from the sides (Sanchez) & one winger that provides width whilst providing a strong crossing ability for a target man like Lukaku.

Apart from being forced to buy Bale by the board - then the chances of him buying him or any inward cutting winger like pulisic etc is unlikely since we now have Sanchez on the other side.

Perisic & Willian are the two of a very few wingers who are traditional wide wingers left in the market. Plus considering we have Lukaku & Matic already - us going for willian is not much of a far guess.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'd rather have Dalot covered by Valencia
I obviously hope that eventually (even this season) it will be the case, but to be honest, I haven't seen even one game with Dalot, so I'm only going by reputation

shaky

That's some horrible players bar one or two.
Horrible players? You can guarantee that if Liverpool signed any of them, it would spark another caf meltdown about how they're doing everything right and we're doing everything wrong.
For what it's worth, I fully expect us to sign a really top tier player that nobody is expecting. It's too quiet on the transfer front right now, Woodward's up to something.

SER19

His comments about Pogba in that video are the main talking point for me. It’s very clear he has frustrations with Pogbas focus and whatever goes on off pitch (I don’t mean haircuts). I think everybody agrees how talented Pogba is and I think mourinho needs to be cut some slack because even to an armchair fan it’s clear Pogba sometimes shows up with his head in the clouds.

Sanche7

We're definitely not signing Willian. If they turned down £55m from Barcelona, I wonder what they'll charge us. He'll be 30 at the start of the season it would be terrible business to spend £60m+ on him.

It's most likely Maguire and a RW. I'm still holding hope for Ousmane Dembele because I fail to see why Barca would want Willian or Malcom when they have him.
Allegedly. I for one don't believe it for a second

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I obviously hope that eventually (even this season) it will be the case, but to be honest, I haven't seen even one game with Dalot, so I'm only going by reputation
Same. Just desperate to see some change to be honest. Something different. Especially on the wings.