Jose's pop at Pep

Fitchett

Loved reading Jose's comments in his match day programme article today, a clear dig against Guardiola.

"Some are happy to choose their easy jobs; I have always chosen the challenge and never the easy target".

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
"Remember that time I chose the job at Real with Ronaldo, Benzema, Pepe, Ramos, Casillas, Xabi Alonso, Ozil...? that was quite a challenge"

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
City's squad was supposed to be in worse shape because of their ageing players. Add to that the fact that it's Peps first season in the PL and I can't see how his job would be any easier than Mourinho's. Let's give Pep credit where its due.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I thought the caf experts were saying last year that Pep had a ton of work to do and turning City around was a gigantic task though?

Kostur

海尔的老板
How's that pop at Pep? City were as shambolic as us at times last season and their defence prior to his arrival was nothing to be proud of.

Classical Mechanic

City's squad was supposed to be in worse shape because of their ageing players. Add to that the fact that it's Peps first season in the PL and I can't see how his job would be any easier than Mourinho's. Let's give Pep credit where its due.
Yeah, he only had the best squad in the Premier League and then spent £150m on it. The hero.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
What constitutes an easy job? Surely United's job is only difficult because the manager makes it difficult for themselves. Most manager would find it much easier to manage United with the resource and talent at their disposal than most other clubs.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I thought the caf experts were saying last year that Pep had a ton of work to do and turning City around was a gigantic task though?
Yes, they were. "Pep will be found out in a competitive league" and so on.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
It's a poor dig, if it indeed was one aimed at Guardiola. We finished on the same amount of points as them last season, and Mourinho has been given a carte blanche in the transfer market. So I'd say they were more or less starting from the same place.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Real Madrid is a challenge regardless of the squad. Though I don't know if this is really directed at Pep; he inherited a squad full of holes.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
We finished on the same number of points as City last season and have splashed a lot of cash like them.

I'd say both jobs are equal in that sense.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Brave Jose, really going at it rough.

Dumbat12

I don't think even Real Madrid fans will call his tenure a "win".
He won Real's only league since 2008 and Madrid still haven't won a league since he left. Not only that, he won the Copa del Rey against Barcelona at their peak. Also, Jose spearheaded Real to consecutive semi-finals when before him, they were getting knocked out at the group stages and the first knockout rounds.

I wouldn't call that a failure by any means.

Fitchett

Here's the full relevant extract from today's match programme.

"Some are happy to choose their easy jobs; I have always chosen the challenge and not the easy target. Porto was in a long period without the championship, Chelsea were chasing their first Premier League; Inter wanted a Champions League that was a 45-year old dream; Real Madrid were trying to win a title against the best Barcelona and break the last-16 Champions League wall that they couldn't jump for many years. Chelsea then had to rebuild a team after a generation that was coming to an end. Now I am at United after three difficult years for the club."

Reckon he's brassed off with the media's love in for Guardiola and their attempts at re-writing history after three defeats in a week.

Lentwood

The City job isn't as easy as some have made out - however it should be noted that Pellegrini seemed to actually hold them back quite significantly at times and it wasn't necessarily that they had a bad squad or team. This is a view that many City fans would back up

The team they had last year should EASILY have been top 2 whereas you couldn't really argue that Utd finished any lower/higher than the calibre of the playing squad deserved

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
He's the only manager to go head to head with Pep and win the league.
He had the most expensive team in history. 1 in 3, with no CL, does not sound like a "win", considering the way they celebrated the end of Barca's dominance, only to burn his team to the ground the following season.

"Supports Barcelona"

:D
It's a Manchester United forum...

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The City job isn't as easy as some have made out - however it should be noted that Pellegrini seemed to actually hold them back quite significantly at times and it wasn't necessarily that they had a bad squad or team. This is a view that many City fans would back up

The team they had last year should EASILY have been top 2 whereas you couldn't really argue that Utd finished any lower/higher than the calibre of the playing squad deserved
Did Leicester have a better squad than us? Tottenham?

Varun

Staff
Lets hope that wasnt aimed at Pep because it doesnt make much sense if it is.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
As a Barca one would expect you to be bright enough to realise that this was a significant challenge because of the presence of a particular team in that league.

Hint:it's not Osasuna.
Pellegrini finished 4 points behind Barcelona, it's not like he took Real Madrid from a 3 year title drought, with 2 of their stars leaving and having finished 18 points behind their rivals last season and made them win everything. Know who did that? Guardiola

Erm he took on arguably the greatest club side that has ever existed.

And won.
In 3 seasons he won 1 Cup and 1 league, Barcelona won 2 leagues and a cup. Your definition of "winning" seems biased

Nevermind that season when he came, lost the league and lost in SF against Barcelona who later won the CL, Mou won the cup so maybe by your definition it was a win for Mourinho

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Mourinho - managerial equivalence of Ronaldo.

Pep - managerial equivalence of Messi.

Moonred

How do you know it was a dig at Pep? Why does it make you love it? Next, Moyes will say the same and some odd Sunderland fan will love it. These digs only make sense in hindsight when you win stuff.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
"Remember that time I chose the job at Real with Ronaldo, Benzema, Pepe, Ramos, Casillas, Xabi Alonso, Ozil...? that was quite a challenge"
Or the time I won the Champions League with Benny McCarthy at striker....