Joshua King and Matty James @ Preston (Loan Watch)

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
If Joga Bonito has watched him in the reserves, then this is good. It is of more value than youtube clips.

The ones who have watched him in the reserves, also probably believe Macheda is technically good enough. Which I disagree with.

Maybe I should not post until I have watched him play 90 minutes. But to the posters who are excited because they are reading the positive reports but have not watched him in the reserves, please consider more things than just work rate and power.
"Technique" is an amorphous concept. It's multifaceted; a player can be useless at many things, but technically brilliant at just one. We may not describe a player like that as having "good technique", but that should not diminish what they are good at.

When we talk about technique, it's usually in such general terms that it becomes almost meaningless. Most of the time it is simply short hand as to whether a player is able to manipulate the ball, within the bounds of what their position requires, to a level that elevates them above the norm. But even then, it's never particularly informative.

And as I would hope that you would agree, pace, power, and technique — in fact, any individual attributes, bar those that are contradictory — are not mutually exclusive of one another. Easily the best striker that I have ever seen was Ronaldo, and that was largely because he managed to combine (at least in his early career) the pace to get away from people, the power and strength to avoid becoming unbalanced at the crucial moments, the fantastic ability to be able to dribble at speed, and also a deadly accurate eye for goal once he was in a position to shoot.

As for Josh King, what those youtube clips do show is a very brief compendium of the type of player that he is. It can't tell you that he is a fantastic player, of course, but that very fact reveals the contradiction in your own thinking, because the quality of a footballer is defined by so much more than one attribute. If that wasn't true, youtube clips should be able to tell you much that you need to know about a player. The fact that it doesn't is direct evidence that your own, somewhat one-dimensional thinking, is flawed.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Joga Bonito, I have already said I appreciate physical power. As long as there is a certain level of technical of ability too.
Scholesy when you look at the youtube clips, do you not agree that he gets to a lot of places not by using psysical force but by his running ability, his technique with the ball, to keep the ball. The ball rarely bounces off him, infact i've never seen it bounce off him.

They type of player he is, you have to be technically strong because when you run with pace, a slight nudge can put you off balance - but this kid is very, very good. You just cross your fingers, this season he's lucky with injuries because he has the potential to be a top class player.

Striker10

I will not judge using youtube clips.
Yeah but you wouldn't be because other people have seen him...and you haven't....therefore you would know the answer if you weren't so obsessive about trying to find some angle that doesn't exist. Technically, he's very good....

At a higher level, it will be tougher because of the pace and the type of player he is but I think initially as an impact sub, he could work wonders for us. In my mind, others might disagree, he's on par with the best talent we have at the club under the first team. He's that good.

Eriku

The touch of a donkey was an exaggerated point. I wasn't suggesting Carew was a donkey afterall. Kings technique is superior at the level we have seen. That was in responce to Scholesy question. However, worded different the tone of the responce would have been different
Still, the point itself was a bit harsh. Carew could have better technique, but he uses what he has to good effect, and I recall at least one goal which was the equal of one of Henry's lauded clever efforts. But I've seen enough clips of King to recognise that he's in a different league. I've previously pointed out that I find his approach to dribbling to be somewhat like the old Ronaldo of old, albeit nowhere near being proven at a top level. At any rate, it's great to hear reports of him looking like a real menace in the Championship.

Striker10

Still, the point itself was a bit harsh. Carew could have better technique, but he uses what he has to good effect, and I recall at least one goal which was the equal of one of Henry's lauded clever efforts. But I've seen enough clips of King to recognise that he's in a different league. I've previously pointed out that I find his approach to dribbling to be somewhat like the old Ronaldo of old, albeit nowhere near being proven at a top level. At any rate, it's great to hear reports of him looking like a real menace in the Championship.
yeah to carew perhaps but you know what scholesys like ;) I didn't see the young Ronaldo enough sadly but Kings damn exciting and I just hope he stays fit and finds his scoring boots...but mainly yeah stays fit. Cross fingers

Eriku

yeah to carew perhaps but you know what scholesys like ;) I didn't see the young Ronaldo enough sadly but Kings damn exciting and I just hope he stays fit and finds his scoring boots...but mainly yeah stays fit. Cross fingers
Ya, I take your point ;) and agreed on his fitness... other than that I don't see what could stop him from becoming an exciting player in our rotation.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
He's some sort of sad, yet brilliant internet trawling genius. Not your standard pisstaker.

KingEric7

Looks more like Ronaldo than Carew. That potent mix of pace, directness and dribbling ability is so rare in a striker. If he keeps this up and has a Cleverley-esque impact on the Championship at this age, we could have a very special player sooner rather than later.

Girish II

James has been named as one of seven to watch this season in the Championship by Claridge on the BBC.

Meanwhile Preston play Bradford in the Carling Cup tonight, I hope King starts however I can see Fergie jr wanting to keep him fresh for the league game away to Shef Utd at the weekend. Reading the reports it sounds like he didn't stop running the entire game against Pompey. It also sounded as though he needed to retune his shooting in which case tonights game would be perfect.

KingEric7

Seems like he's having a good game so far, though it sounds a bit of a dry one.

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
It seems like he apdapts to higher levels of football very fast and is always ahead of schedule. He 'should' surely not be ready for Championship football at this stage, it's only two years since he played U16 football in Norway but from the reports he not only gets playing time for Preston, he's dominating for them. From the looks of it (and I may be dreaming a bit here) this kid could force his way into first team contention a lot sooner than expected.

prateik

apparently king has been coming back to the club to train with ole and the reserves ..

he that serious about training or the club taking special interest .. surely its not normal is it?

anyway , good thing

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
apparently king has been coming back to the club to train with ole and the reserves ..

he that serious about training or the club taking special interest .. surely its not normal is it?

anyway , good thing
I think all the loan players come back to United so that their progress can be checked up close - remember reading that somewhere last week.

Just as a clarification, your post implies it is most days - from what I read, he comes back every once in a while to practice finishing with Ole.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

anyway , good thing
Didn't he recently say in an interview recently he spent all summer training with a sprint coach and working out in the gym?

Gotta admire that sort of dedication.

PS18

King might be on a youth loan, which often allows players to regularly return to their parent club for training (and even to play reserve/youth games).

prateik

he is .
3 month youth loan

never heard of a youth loan before tho

PS18

Only came across it last year when Cathcart was at Watford on one:

Only:

(a) Scholars who are in the second or third (if that option is exercised) year of their Scholarship Agreement; or

(b) Contract Players aged 20 or under on 1st July immediately preceding the Season in question,

may be registered on a Youth Loan.

51.2.4 It shall be a condition of any Youth Loan involving a Scholar, or a Contract Player to whom Youth Rule 99 applies, that for the duration of the period of the Youth Loan the Player continues to fully comply with the programme of education in place for that Player.

51.2.5 A Player registered on a Youth Loan may, provided this is agreed between the two clubs and the Player, continue to train with and/or play for his loaning Club (or club) in any match other than matches played as part of the Premier League Competition, League Competition, League Cup, Football Association Challenge Cup or Football League Trophy (First Team Matches).Participation by the Player in First Team Matches for the loanee Club shall take precedence.

51.2.6 Any days on which the Player participates in a reserve team match and/or attends any training sessions for the loaning Club (or club)) shall still count towards the period of the Youth Loan.

51.2.7 Except for the specific circumstances provided for in Regulations 51.2.9, 51.2.10 and 52, the minimum duration of any Emergency Loan and Youth Loan shall be 28 days and the maximum duration of an Emergency Loan is 93 days.The loan period is inclusive of the starting date and the finishing date.Youth Loans may not extend beyond the date of the Player's 21st birthday.

51.2.8 Emergency Loans and Youth Loans may contain a break clause but only where that break clause is exercisable after the expiry of the initial 28 day period of the loan.

51.2.9 Emergency Loans involving goalkeepers (but not otherwise) may be subject to a recall clause within the first 28 days.Any recall may only be implemented in extenuating circumstances and with the consent of the Executive, such extenuating circumstances to be determined in the Executive's absolute discretion.

51.2.10 The Executive shall have discretion to extend the maximum duration of 93 days for an Emergency Loan in extenuating circumstances, such circumstances to be determined in the Executive's absolute discretion.

51.2.11 Subject to Regulation 51.2.12, where the Emergency Loan or Youth Loan of a Player expires (and is not renewed simultaneously) any subsequent Emergency Loan or Youth Loan of that Player to the same Club will be subject to a minimum duration of 28 days as set out in Regulation 51.2.7.

51.2.12 The cumulative total number of days of all Emergency Loans of one Player to the same Club may not exceed 93 days (unless extended by the Executive in accordance with the provisions of Regulation 51.2.10).

Eriku

ESPN UK.

I've a stream site that I pay 3 bob a week for, so I get to watch it there :)

edit: turns out the Veetle stream is better... myp2p have links.