Joshua King / signs for Watford

Bestietom

Is there nobody in MLS/Mexico we could have taken a look at? Chicharito was a steal at the time. Sort of player we need now. A penalty box striker.
Ole seems to like King, but he is another who like to drift out left and cut in. If we get anymore left sided forwards they will fall over each other. We need a big strong CF who will get us goals from corners and set pieces. and can hold up the ball for others.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's a good player, and probably an epitome of the level we're at now...but another penny above the quoted £27m is ridiculous, particularly given his injury record.

Dinghy

If this happens it means we won't be buying another striker until at least the summer window next year. He'd improve us slightly short term, but we should do better.

Dan_F

He isn’t even an out and out striker is he? Thought he played behind Wilson or out wide. Is that not exactly what we have in Martial?

izec

He isn’t even an out and out striker is he? Thought he played behind Wilson or out wide. Is that not exactly what we have in Martial?
Yeah, he is not the target striker profile we were after. Seems we are desperate to bring in a forward or attacker in general at this point

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This is happening isn't it. I reckon this will be confirmed a few hours before the deadline, 9pm or something.
I'm not sure we'll have the time, especially if Bournemouth need to sign someone as well.

SATA

I think Bournemouth are expecting another bid from us or are at least told we'll be doing so, otherwise they wouldn't be actively seeking a replacement

This may well happen

theklr

An advantage with King is that he can slot into the «fluid strikers» type of play OGS seem to like. He can play both from the left and in the middle. He also brings some physicality and directness we’re sorely missing. Far too expensive but hey, its january...

IrishMcD

Stupid fee for a player with a poor injury record who its debatable if he is going to make much difference to our 1st team squad. When you take the wages and fee into account, it makes the decision to not push the boat out further for Haaland all the more crazy. Ole talking about our club and having a proper vision in the transfer market, while throwing subtle hints about previous managers making signings to suit themselves and not the club. And he is chasing a former youth player with a horrible injury record, who is mid table level at best, just because he likes him himself and coached him at youth level. A shambles if this is anything other than a loan.

IrishRedDevil

Yes please! Decent, experienced striker, who won’t kick up a fuss when benched for the younger guys, but has enough quality when asked to play.

Infestissumam

wtf are we doing. We should look at loaning a striker until the end of season, not signing a 28 year old one with poor injury record for an inflated fee.

how can a club of this size be so rudderless for so long? Infuriating.

theklr

Stupid fee for a player with a poor injury record who its debatable if he is going to make much difference to our 1st team squad. When you take the wages and fee into account, it makes the decision to not push the boat out further for Haaland all the more crazy. Ole talking about our club and having a proper vision in the transfer market, while throwing subtle hints about previous managers making signings to suit themselves and not the club. And he is chasing a former youth player with a horrible injury record, who is mid table level at best, just because he likes him himself and coached him at youth level. A shambles if this is anything other than a loan.
Haaland didnt want to come here no matter what, stop beating a dead horse.

The Firestarter

Nice to see us trying to sign a perspective youth player with no injury problems. The United way!

Robin Your Persie

Why would you wanna sign a striker who out injured for another 3 weeks :rolleyes:

The whole point was to have one available from the off, if Martial gets injured next game we are screwed.

Bojan11

Could have just signed Ben Yedder in the summer.

I rather have signed Hernandez back and I am not his biggest fan.

IrishMcD

Haaland didnt want to come here no matter what, stop beating a dead horse.
Just my opinion, I'm sure a bigger signing on fee would have convinced him. But i know about as much as you do on the inner dealings of any negotiation. So its all opinions. None of us have the facts.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
wtf are we doing. We should look at loaning a striker until the end of season, not signing a 28 year old one with poor injury record for an inflated fee.

how can a club of this size be so rudderless for so long? Infuriating.
This is a good signing. Evidence of increased competence. We need a body. It's literally that simple.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I don't have that much of an issue with King. I think he improves our attack.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We say, we dont do panic buy and end up with King for 20+ m .

Now we can't buy a proper striker in Summer .

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In the spirit of this momentous day in British history, ‘let’s just get this thing done’.

He’s a good squad player, no worse than the likes of Origi and Shaqiri to me. We need those, otherwise we’ll just be playing Mata on the wing.

pablotatt

How doe this resolve the fact that we need a starting striker immediately? Rashford injured, Mason not ready to lead the attack yet, James still very green and Martial incredibly inconsistent. We need a body to play immediately. Not another injured one.

fergosaurus

I'd rather us look for a short term loan deal than spend £30m on an average squad player. We've done a good job shifting out dead wood, we don't need any more.